Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Chango

Why do people think there is only one manager suitable for the role ? There’s massive problems if any decent manager can’t get a tune out this squad.

People saying it’s either so and so or bust are blinkered.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It’s not excuses though is it? he built a good team and made finals up against teams spending and buying better players, I think Spurs had qualified for the CL once before he joined and that was a Bale carry.

Hes 11 points clear this season at PSG and beat City in the CL it’s not going that bad is it. Touchel left when they were in third last season and we all know what a good coach he is.
What about last season then? And at Spurs, he didn't win much did he? So he's overhyped a lot and we don't need another manager who's either past it or does not know how to win

PepG

Supports
Ajax
PSG would not want to look like a small team that is loosing its coach to a bigger team midseason. The image of the team is very important for their owners. Thats why they refused a 200 million euros offer for Mbappe from Real Madrid this summer only to lose him on a free a year later.. i highly doubt they will let Pochettino go now..

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
PSG would not want to look like a small team that is loosing its coach to a bigger team midseason. The image of the team is very important for their owners. Thats why they refused a 200 milllion euros offer for Mbappe from Real Madrid this summer only to lose him on a free a year later.. i highly doubt they will let Pochettino go now..
Why would we pay for a manager that will be sacked anyways? Only United would pay a hefty sum in such a situation

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
PSG would not want to look like a small team that is loosing its coach to a bigger team midseason. The image of the team is very important for their owners. Thats why they refused a 200 million euros offer for Mbappe from Real Madrid this summer only to lose him on a free a year later.. i highly doubt they will let Pochettino go now..
I think PSG would have no issue if Zidane was willing to join them. But your point seems correct, unless Pochettino throws a tantrum publicly I would be surprised to see PSG roll over and let him go while they get Valverde.

passing-wind

I'd agree if Zidane wasn't on the wings unemployed. PSG cover many faults with the appointment of Zidane. It also gives Mbappe the opportunity to work alongside him which could translate into his desire to leave who knows. Solskjaer out Poch in, Poch out Zidane in is good business for all clubs involved.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Didn’t Klopp “bottle” 6 finals in row, before eventually winning one years later with Liverpool.
To be fair Klopp is still a bottler and scouse on top of that.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I can only pity you
Escobar was one of the fans that supported Ole earlier on. He doesn't really have that much knowledge about football, as he was wrong then and about many things. It is laughable to think that poch somehow bottled things at spurs when spurs objective was mostly to make them competitive and stay in europa league or get into top four. It is best to ignore him. Moreover at psg Poch did better than tuchel, so it was more so that tuchel bottled the league than Poch.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've only watched PSG play once this season and in the game Neymar was acting like a on-field coach, showing everyone what to do in defence and attack. Was quite surprised to see that and read their Reddit after the game, where everyone said same thing - Mauricio is incredibly bad at coaching and there's no chance for PSG to win Champions League even with all-time best attacking trio.

Has the sentiment changed?
They're as clueless as any fans. The problem is their collection of mercenary players that only went there for the money, not to work hard.

I mean, do they not wonder how Tuchel has such an impact at Chelsea, winning them the CL? Chelsea don't have these star names like Neymar and Mbappe etc. Just idiots.

tjb

On ETH- I remember a few years ago when people were going on about Frank De Boer. People need to realize that's its still Ajax in the Dutch league.Not saying he may not be goof, but he hasn't proven anything more that Pochettino

Tarrou

Yes because Spurs bought Kane as a 30 goal striker
I'm not sure what you mean by that but a 30 goal a season striker is a huge outlier and you'd be mad not to consider the context of it when looking to hire Poch

It isn't binary and there is credit due for developing Kane, getting the best out of him and loads of other good things. But without Kane I don't think they ever threaten a title challenge under Poch.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Moreover at psg Poch did better than tuchel, so it was more so that tuchel bottled the league than Poch.

I assume, when you say these things, you forget that it's on the internet, where these statements are easily fact-checked?

tomaldinho1

I'm not sure what you mean by that but a 30 goal a season striker is a huge outlier and you'd be mad not to consider the context of it when looking to hire Poch

It isn't binary and there is credit due for developing Kane, getting the best out of him and loads of other good things. But without Kane I don't think they ever threaten a title challenge under Poch.
You seemed to be saying you don't rate Poch because he had Kane (who you described as a 30 goal striker) which kind of ignores the fact Poch had a big hand in developing him into what he is. Look at Spurs since he left...that's with heavy spending as well.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Once, briefly, for the second game of his tenure in 2014/15.

Never again under Poch. Mourinho and Nuno were top longer I believe.
I meant specifically when they were supposed to have bottled the league. I remember Leicester having a comfortable lead most of the time but not sure if I remembered it correctly.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Poch is the most overrtated manger today. Untied will be back discussing the sacking of the manager in one year time.

Tarrou

You seemed to be saying you don't rate Poch because he had Kane (who you described as a 30 goal striker) which kind of ignores the fact Poch had a big hand in developing him into what he is. Look at Spurs since he left...that's with heavy spending as well.
Yeah true I don't think what he did at Spurs was that special

A good job no doubt, but it doesn't leave me thinking he definitely has what it takes to manage Manchester United

If PSG are happy to let him go after less than a year in charge it doesn't fill me with confidence either

But saying that, I'm still hopeful he'll come in and be great and I think he's an upgrade for sure. But for me, it isn't a slam-dunk hire but then no one is at the moment really.

tomaldinho1

Yeah true I don't think what he did at Spurs was that special

A good job no doubt, but it doesn't leave me thinking he definitely has what it takes to manage Manchester United

If PSG are happy to let him go after less than a year in charge it doesn't fill me with confidence either

But saying that, I'm still hopeful he'll come in and be great and I think he's an upgrade for sure. But for me, it isn't a slam-dunk hire but then no one is at the moment really.
I think it was very impressive when I think of how I rated the players there before he came versus when he left - I don't know if he's the perfect choice but he's the best option right now and would probably be the first manager post SAF we have hired who is not some washed up version of former glories or someone without the relevant experience.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
I meant specifically when they were supposed to have bottled the league. I remember Leicester having a comfortable lead most of the time but not sure if I remembered it correctly.
Suppose it depends on your definition.

In March (MW26) we were 2 points behind Leicester.
https://www.premierleague.com/match/12374

(MW28), could have gone top on GD, but lost to West Ham
https://www.premierleague.com/match/12392

Spent a lot of the 3rd third of the season in 2nd, 5 points off Leicester, then from Matchweek 35:

Drew with WBA https://www.premierleague.com/match/12460
Drew with Chelsea that finished 10th https://www.premierleague.com/match/12470
Lost to Southampton https://www.premierleague.com/match/12480
Got thumped 5-1 by relegated Newcastle https://www.premierleague.com/match/12488

Finished 3rd, 11 points behind Leicester.

Last 10 games were 16 out of a possible 30.

Last edited:

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Does that not confirm what he said?
No - he said "Poch did better than tuchel, so it was more so that tuchel bottled the league than Poch"

Tuchel drew two and lost 4. Poch drew two and lost four.

Crucially, Lille won the league by a single point - Poch lost 3 points to Lille (which Tuchel didn't), which is essentially the crucial bottle factor. If he had at least drew with Lille (like Tuchel), he'd have won the league.

Whilst the percentages work better over more games, it was the games which Poch lost that were worse.

Tarrou

I think it was very impressive when I think of how I rated the players there before he came versus when he left - I don't know if he's the perfect choice but he's the best option right now and would probably be the first manager post SAF we have hired who is not some washed up version of former glories or someone without the relevant experience.
yeah that's a good point, he built a good squad and improved players for sure

if he could have a similar impact on our squad from here we'll be in good shape

I think I just worry if he has that elite mentality more than anything, he always feels a bit passive.. but I guess we'll find out soon enough

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
No - he said "Poch did better than tuchel, so it was more so that tuchel bottled the league than Poch"

Crucially, Lille won the league by a single point - Poch lost 3 points to Lille (which Tuchel didn't), which is essentially the crucial bottle factor. If he had at least drew with Lille (like Tuchel), he'd have won the league.

Whilst the percentages work better over more games, it was the games which Poch lost that were worse.
You can't have the same expectations of a manager coming in mid season than a manager that has been there for a few season. Even with that, poch still had a higher win percentage then tuchel with 15 win compared to his 11. So poch did do better and if tuchel had more games, he may have loss some more based on how he was playing. Poch was always chasing and for a manager that has just got the job mid season, he can't be judge based on that. Tuchel was definitely more responsible for bottling the league. And as you can see now, poch is doing better this season with psg than tuchel did in that season.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

That argument goes both ways. Win any of the games Tuchel drew, and they're champions. The Lille match didn't matter in that regard if the difference was one point.

ti vu

I assume, when you say these things, you forget that it's on the internet, where these statements are easily fact-checked?

The Lorient and Nantes loss under Poch is the key to losing out the title.

Judging on ppg stats would ignore other context of the season. Tuchel 2 defeats early in the season with almost no pre season, and COVID outbreak is forgivable. The rest of his bad result was against more competitive teams. Drawing one of Lorient and Nantes games would see PSG winning the title last season, but they "bottled" by losing not one but both.

Status
Not open for further replies.