Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d take it if I were you, Poch. Nobody will employ him it seems.

Gator Nate

Its a step down
From unemployment? Potayto/Potahto, but if he wants back in the game at this point, Brighton wouldn't be a bad destination. At least Potter has them set up for success.

Someone mentioned Leicester, but I really think their leadership is a bit of a mess right now - if you thought Spurs simply didn't fund him properly, the Foxes have destroyed Rodgers on the transfer front.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
From unemployment? Potayto/Potahto, but if he wants back in the game at this point, Brighton wouldn't be a bad destination. At least Potter has them set up for success.

Someone mentioned Leicester, but I really think their leadership is a bit of a mess right now - if you thought Spurs simply didn't fund him properly, the Foxes have destroyed Rodgers on the transfer front.
He would be a contender or on the shortlist for most big jobs when they arise so yes, Brighton is a step down.

Your logic is a bit like suggesting Tuchel should consider Leicester when Rogers eventually bites the dust. It doesnt work that way.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'll be on the shortlist for bigger teams, but nobody sees him as a first choice. It'll only get worse the longer he remains unemployed, too.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Glaring example What PSG (big club) can do to an upcoming manager , if the team is a mess . Can be applied to us also.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I've said before but I think we'd be a really good destination for Poch. Pretty much everyone knows Gerrard is massively underachieving. Even if the squad isn't top 6 standard it should be in mix for 9th-10th so raw materials for him to work with plus we've spent more in transfer windows in last 3 seasons than he did for most of his time at Spurs. Got some exciting young players aswell so same as Spurs in 2015.

That said saw his name floated with Sevilla so that would probably make sense for him. Had a poor start to the season but used to being in CL so one he'd probably feel he can quickly build up again.

talking robot

Don't think he should take it. He can only underperform relative to what Potter was doing when he left, and it's a step down relative to previous positions. Would be a poor career decision I think. He'd be better off waiting for a national team job somewhere (which will likely open after the world cup) if he can't get a position at an A-list club.

redshaw

There was a lot of talk of him managing Real Madrid before. Might be worth him staying available should Carlo leave but he could do what Carlo did at Everton, take the job at Brighton or wherever and say adios soon as they come knocking. Don't see him taking the job at Brighton though.

kaku06

If there is even a very slim chance of poch contemplating taking a job outside of big 6 then Aston Villa should sack Gerrard and move heaven and earth for Pochettino. I think they are much better placed in terms of squad and budget to kick up some levels under a good manager.

Strootman's Finger

I believe Leciester is quietly for sale, so there is no support for the manager, would be a career limiting disaster for Poch to go there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think being overlooked totally for Chelsea would've been a bit sobering for Poch and shown his stint at PSG means he'll struggle to find another CL club in major euro league until he does another Spurs style job and builds a club up a league table again.

Newcastle would be a very good fit for him aswell but they've just handed Howe a long term deal so he's not in danger unless they barely win a game for next few months.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think they are much better placed in terms of squad and budget to kick up some levels under a good manager.
Assuming that Poch is a good manager, that actually makes some sense.

Money wise (revenue wise, possibly salary wise - haven't checked) Villa are in that group right below the very top. As in - they shouldn't be worried about getting relegated, they should rather be having ambitions of establishing themselves around the level - say - Leicester have been in recent years: clearly top half sort of thing, with a realistic (enough) chance of sniffing at top four under ideal circumstances.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's in that weird position where most big clubs don't view him as top choice. His realistic next possibilities are Juve and Real Madrid, the question is when Ancelotti goes and when Juve decides to replace Allegri. Tuchel is ahead of Pochettino for any big opening too.

City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Spurs and now Chelsea won't sack their managers for the foreseeable future. Pep and Klopp will sooner leave than any of them being sacked IMO. Xavi seems to be doing alright. Nagelsmann pretty set at Bayern. So Pochettino is essentially left between Real Madrid and Juventus as his next targets, or replacing one of the other big managers if they leave another big club to go to those 2. And he could be waiting all year. Not to mention post world Cup, who knows if Mancini, Flick, Luis Enrique will now enter the job market where they'd all get ahead of him too.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He'll be on the shortlist for bigger teams, but nobody sees him as a first choice. It'll only get worse the longer he remains unemployed, too.
He will become the Argentine Alan curbishley or fat sam

CM

Historically when you look at the teams Poch has done well with, it is the teams who are of a slightly lower profile where he's given the freedom to build something.

He might be at a stage in his career where he feels he needs to hold out for a top club, or at least one who are a bit more renowned than Brighton, but I don't think it would be a disaster for him to take a bit of a step back in that respect. He needs to pick his next job wisely - much as I dislike Mourinho, he picked a team that suited him well with Roma. Poch needs to do the same.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Historically when you look at the teams Poch has done well with, it is the teams who are of a slightly lower profile where he's given the freedom to build something.

He might be at a stage in his career where he feels he needs to hold out for a top club, or at least one who are a bit more renowned than Brighton, but I don't think it would be a disaster for him to take a bit of a step back in that respect. He needs to pick his next job wisely - much as I dislike Mourinho, he picked a team that suited him well with Roma. Poch needs to do the same.
The risk with taking a job like Brighton is that if he fails there, or doesn't at least maintain the level Potter left the club in, it's going to be hard for him to get back to the top. I think he's right in holding out for a top club for as long as he can.

CM

The risk with taking a job like Brighton is that if he fails there, or doesn't at least maintain the level Potter left the club in, it's going to be hard for him to get back to the top. I think he's right in holding out for a top club for as long as he can.
I agree, I don't think he has much to gain following a manager like Potter either.

I think his best bet would probably be hoping one of the Serie A clubs end up chucking their manager but I'm not sure if that's imminent for any of the noteworthy clubs. I know Villa fans were keen on the idea of him, it's just whether he's prepared to drop to that level.

kaku06

He's in that weird position where most big clubs don't view him as top choice. His realistic next possibilities are Juve and Real Madrid, the question is when Ancelotti goes and when Juve decides to replace Allegri. Tuchel is ahead of Pochettino for any big opening too.

City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Spurs and now Chelsea won't sack their managers for the foreseeable future. Pep and Klopp will sooner leave than any of them being sacked IMO. Xavi seems to be doing alright. Nagelsmann pretty set at Bayern. So Pochettino is essentially left between Real Madrid and Juventus as his next targets, or replacing one of the other big managers if they leave another big club to go to those 2. And he could be waiting all year. Not to mention post world Cup, who knows if Mancini, Flick, Luis Enrique will now enter the job market where they'd all get ahead of him too.
Conte’s position would always be volatile at spurs to be honest. He might be doing alright right now but he also might leave at any point if the team doesn’t do well or he doesn’t feel like he is being fully backed. He’s not someone who’s gonna wait around for long building the team gradually. But I agree with you that after the World Cup some more managers would become available like Enrique.

tomaldinho1

If there is even a very slim chance of poch contemplating taking a job outside of big 6 then Aston Villa should sack Gerrard and move heaven and earth for Pochettino. I think they are much better placed in terms of squad and budget to kick up some levels under a good manager.
Everton will get him in when they inevitably sack Lampard. They have money and a new stadium coming, god fanbase and should be doing a lot better than they are.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Maybe he'll go back to Spain, or maybe even juve if they decide to part ways with Allegri .

kaku06

Everton will get him in when they inevitably sack Lampard. They have money and a new stadium coming, god fanbase and should be doing a lot better than they are.
I don’t think they can spend the money required to compete due to the restraints.

redcucumber

Surprised Juve aren't going for him? Him or Tuchel. Maybe they don't have the financials.

BerryBerryShrew

Surprised Juve aren't going for him? Him or Tuchel. Maybe they don't have the financials.
I could be mistaken, but weren't there rumours that after Pochettino left Spurs and was linked with high profile jobs that his wage demands were in the Guardiola tier? Fairly delusional if so. A club like Nice may think that investing heavily in the right manager is cheaper than investing heavily in better players but it really isn't a great move for his career.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I dare say this forum is the only place on Earth considering Pochettino a top coach.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I dare say this forum is the only place on Earth considering Pochettino a top coach.
This forum is, ironically, probably the only place he's not considered a top coach. He's clearly not in the elite of the elite (no one is claiming he is) but name 10 managers outside of Pep & Klopp who are better?

I didn't put Don Carlo in there as he's retiring

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I mean he was pretty routinely dragged through the mud when he was linked to us.
This forum is, ironically, probably the only place he's not considered a top coach. He's clearly not in the elite of the elite (no one is claiming he is) but name 10 managers outside of Pep & Klopp who are better?

I didn't put Don Carlo in there as he's retiring
I mean, in our current deeeeeep mess, we really need a truly hard-nosed figure on top of him being a proven winner.

BarcaSpurs

Conte, Tuchel, Galtier, ETH, Emery, Simeone, Ancelotti, Mancini, Luis Enrique, Flick

tomaldinho1

Conte, Tuchel, Galtier, ETH, Emery, Simeone, Ancelotti, Mancini, Luis Enrique, Flick
Ancelotti is in the elite and is retiring

Conte, Tuchel, Simeone, Mancini, Enrique, Flick, Emery all agree.

Galtier, ETH.

Galtier - how? Is this purely based off winning Ligue 1 once? He won a cup back in the day with Saint Etienne but this seems very revisionist i.e. he won the league the year Poch joined mid season and therefore he is better. PSG look much better this season but let's see how they do in the CL later stages.
ETH - as much as I hope this is true, we can't become RAWK and avoid any kind of logic when assessing our own manager. We don't really know how good or bad ETH will be but his CL run is always lauded as proof of how good he was and Poch knocked him out to reach the final. Managing Ajax doesn't give us a huge amount of insight into his abilities, yes he got them back to winning the league regularly but they are the powerhouse team and De Boer won 4 titles in a row a few years before before completely flopping outside of Holland. We hope he's going to be incredible but I struggle to put him above Poch right this second if football ended today in terms of achievements, maybe I'm undervaluing the Eredivisie but I don't see it.

You still have 3 to name in my mind.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You still have 3 to name in my mind.
In Italy, he is reputed below Sarri and above Inzaghi… and I’m not considering managers you would happily call past-it like Mourinho, Allegri and even Spalletti. If you like, AC Milan are living their Poch-like cycle with Pioli these days, and their current CL campaign would set his bar at international level: he is expected to make the QFs and then who knows, anyone can fluke a CL final or semifinal in his golden year.

Status
Not open for further replies.