Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

According to the article I posted above, Spurs also scored the most and conceded the least that season.
Yet we are to believe he did nothing. I don't really understand this from fans. If he wins something at PSG... "But its the French League", Can't really win can he.

loop

If Pochettino wants to leave now mid season and we dont do everything to get him. then this club is beyond a joke. to the "fans" who dont want him should be careful we dont end up with Sam Allardyce at this rate.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Me too. There's no way I want an ex-Liverpool manager here - and yes, I am mindful that Matt Busby played for them. Poch knows the English game, his Spurs side played the kind of football we admired, and even though he hasn't yet won a pot, I think he would be a great fit for us.
Yeah. I see the Matt Busby thing being mentioned. However, when Matt Busby became United manager the clubs were still selling players to each other. Completely different time.

People saying that may as well say they'd be happy with Rafa Benitez rocking up at Man Utd as manager.

Matt007a

Winning the league with PSG will be dismissed as barely an achievement. He's got to win the CL really and I'm not sure they can. Their front 3 are the most technically gifted front line in world football, but the top sides won't be beaten by a team with 3 defensive passengers. Even when they beat City last month, they were played off the park and should have been well beaten.

He doesn't like working with Leonardo and is unhappy that he can't bring in his own players at PSG. I think it's reasonable to assume he might leave before the season is out, especially if he thinks this job opportunity will be gone by the end of the season.

crossy1686

career ending
The way people talk about Pochettino, you would think that he has done what Simeone did with Atletico. In all seriouness without exaggeration, he is a good manager and I would take him tomorrow if someone like ten Hag isn't available tomorrow but people are inflating his performances, particularly when they talk about the CL, you would think that the final run was a reflection of their usual performances.
Simeone has been heavily backed by Atleti, he's the highest paid manager in the game and has complete control of the entire club. Pochettino took a perpetual disappointment of a club and got closer to anything they've ever done in most fans life time, while not being backed by a chairman who decided he had enough 'good' players and built a stadium instead. I agree, he's a good manager, not world class but then again he's hardly been given the opportunity to prove that in the last couple of years. As things currently stand, I don't think United can do any better than Poch, and I'm a skeptic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
According to the article I posted above, Spurs also scored the most and conceded the least that season.
That's a product of his defensive system. It's based on gaining possession high on the field and get "easy" chances, it's an excellent system that gives you a high floor, you should be able to destroy most bottom half teams but it doesn't work against teams of similar level or higher, these teams break your press and easily beat you which is what mainly happened for Spurs.

And that's why I would only like him on a short term basis because after years of seeing him have the same issues season after season, I don't think that he will see the light, it's a bit like Gasperini 10 years ago.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah. I see the Matt Busby thing being mentioned. However, when Matt Busby became United manager the clubs were still selling players to each other. Completely different time.

People saying that may as well say they'd be happy with Rafa Benitez rocking up at Man Utd as manager.
My grandad's a City fan and him and his United mates used to take turns going to watch the other team at the weekends, in mixed crowds also. It was a very different time indeed.

TrustInOle

If Zidane is indeed waiting out for the France or PSG job, we would be stupid not to try PSG's hand and give Poch the rest of this season to properly evaluate all his options, especially more so if the rumours are true that he would take that step now. Which would say alot for his admiration and aspirations he has for United that he would sacrifice his first League trophy of his career.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but would not argue with the recruitment if he is the one chosen.

crossy1686

career ending
If Zidane is indeed waiting out for the France or PSG job, we would be stupid not to try PSG's hand and give Poch the rest of this season to properly evaluate all his options, especially more so if the rumours are true that he would take that step now. Which would say alot for his admiration and aspirations he has for United that he would sacrifice his first League trophy of his career.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but would not argue with the recruitment if he is the one chosen.
Maybe us sounding out Zidane was to try and put some pressure on PSG to pull the trigger on Poch?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
because he was two years into his time there and had his team together and his ‘philosophy’ on the team. Just isnt good enough, bottom line. Did nothing in 5 years at spurs.
“Did nothing in five years at Spurs” - That’s just not true. For a good 3 years he coached the best Spurs team of the last 30 years. The players got worn out from the press and Levy wouldn’t invest. I saw plenty of really good performances from Spurs under him.

JPRouve

Scout
Simeone has been heavily backed by Atleti, he's the highest paid manager in the game and has complete control of the entire club. Pochettino took a perpetual disappointment of a club and got closer to anything they've ever done in most fans life time, while not being backed by a chairman who decided he had enough 'good' players and built a stadium instead. I agree, he's a good manager, not world class but then again he's hardly been given the opportunity to prove that in the last couple of years. As things currently stand, I don't think United can do any better than Poch, and I'm a skeptic.
Simeone is at a club that has less money than Spurs and took them from a lower position. Also a thing that is misleading about Spurs net spend is that it's based on selling deadwood, outside of Walker they didn't lose players that were part of his plans.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we can’t get ten Haag now then go all out for poch. Didn’t he beat ten Haag in the CL when spurs got to the final? This guy will get us working as a team and we will 100% see an improvement in style of play and he’ll get us pressing a lot more aswell. At spurs he didn’t have the squad we have and he got them top 4 most of the time. Another thing I like about pochettino is he’s willing to sacrifice a first title and possibly a CL to join us right now which shows he wants this job and he has a soft spot for united.

crossy1686

career ending
Simeone is at a club that has less money than Spurs and took them from a lower position. Also a thing that is misleading about Spurs net spend is that it's based on selling deadwood, outside of Walker they didn't lose players that were part of his plans.
They might have less money but they've spent obscene amounts on Felix and Lemar, then there's Griezmann's wages, not to mention their average spend is something like 25m Euro's upwards on the rest of the players they buy. Pochettino got no where near that level of backing at Spurs and was lucky Kane happened to break through during his tenure.

tayside red

If Pochetino is available we should go for him, 26 games left to go in the league. Even with our recent run of dismal performances we're only 9 points off 2nd spot, 6 off 4th place. Give him the tools and lets see if he can make us Winners and proud to shout Man Utd again.

Devil may care

That's a product of his defensive system. It's based on gaining possession high on the field and get "easy" chances, it's an excellent system that gives you a high floor, you should be able to destroy most bottom half teams but it doesn't work against teams of similar level or higher, these teams break your press and easily beat you which is what mainly happened for Spurs.

And that's why I would only like him on a short term basis because after years of seeing him have the same issues season after season, I don't think that he will see the light, it's a bit like Gasperini 10 years ago.
This is what people are ignoring while having arguments about whether failing to beat Leicester to the PL title or getting Spurs to a CL final are defining factors, his approach isn't great to watch and is yet another reactive system that falls to pieces against good opposition, it'll be Mourinho 2.0 minus the toxicity, with all big games played from the fetal position.

Pscholes18

or how unattractive working for PSG is
This....he wants out and United just opened the door.......I'm not saying he isn't a good manager but I think United need to movexto more progressive football.....under TH Ajax just scored their 500th goal in 185 matches....yeah it's not the Premier League but that is quite a stat.

Jezpeza

So if Conte doesn't win the title with Spurs, we can say did nothing there?

That is most managers with Spurs then.

Poch got them to their first CL final, got them their highest league finish.. yet "did nothing"
we are man united. Finals and high league finishes are a bare minimum. Funny how happy our fans are with mediocrity now. People Would love Poch here to supply plenty of that. Baffling

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Thats he's willing to walk away from PSG immediately speaks volumes as to how attractive the position is.
I'd say it's more to do with PSG being a shitshow TBH. Also who wouldn't trade up Paris for Manchester in the winter :drool:

Jezpeza

“Did nothing in five years at Spurs” - That’s just not true. For a good 3 years he coached the best Spurs team of the last 30 years. The players got worn out from the press and Levy wouldn’t invest. I saw plenty of really good performances from Spurs under him.
Great. Best spurs team of the last 30 years. What a Great cv note. Mediocrity defined.

Devilmac

I'd go along with that. Would have preferred ETH but I'd go for Poch NOW. Anything to settle the ship.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
we are man united. Finals and high league finishes are a bare minimum. Funny how happy our fans are with mediocrity now. People Would love Poch here to supply plenty of that. Baffling
Posts like this are so pointless. You don't know how Poch will end up. You don't know how Zidane would end up. You don't know how any manager would end up. You don't know who we have attempted to hire already.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
our post-Fergie managers PPG while at United (league stats only).

OppositionDavid MoyesLouis van GaalJose MourinhoOle Gunnar Solskjær
Arsenal2 (2)1.75 (4)1.6 (5)0.4 (5)
Chelsea0.5 (2)0.75 (4)1.4 (5)1.8 (5)
Liverpool0 (2)3 (4)1.2 (5)0.5 (6)
Man City0 (2)1.75 (4)0.8 (5)1.67 (6)
Tottenham0.5 (2)1.75 (4)1.2 (5)2.17 (6)

and Pochettino's stats while just at Spurs and in the league (so not including Southampton)

Arsenal: 1.36 (11)
Chelsea: 1.4 (10)
Liverpool: 0.64 (11)
Man City: 1 (11)
Man Utd: 1.18 (10)
Eeek.

romufc

Misleading about net spend. Misleading about lower position, they may be lower that season but Athelti are not Spurs.

They won the Europa league and super cup before Simeone arrived at Madrid.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Great. Best spurs team of the last 30 years. What a Great cv note. Mediocrity defined.
Would you rather we get Brendan Rodgers, who seems to be the only other realistic target available? Personally I would rather shave my ballsack with oil and fire.

romufc

We should stop playing football. Just shout we are Manutd and UEFA and Premier League should hand us trophies. Just because we are Manutd.

Funny how people think just being Manutd means you don't have to earn your place. Who is your first choice then?

I guess he will come in and say the magic words We are Manutd and we will win trophies?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Winning the league with PSG will be dismissed as barely an achievement. He's got to win the CL really and I'm not sure they can. Their front 3 are the most technically gifted front line in world football, but the top sides won't be beaten by a team with 3 defensive passengers. Even when they beat City last month, they were played off the park and should have been well beaten.

He doesn't like working with Leonardo and is unhappy that he can't bring in his own players at PSG. I think it's reasonable to assume he might leave before the season is out, especially if he thinks this job opportunity will be gone by the end of the season.
I’m serious when I suggest that Ten Hag would be leaving behind a better chance to win the CL with Ajax this year than Pochettino with PSG. City, Bayern, Liverpool and possibly Chelsea are clear. Ajax are as good as anyone else, and better than PSG I reckon.

JPRouve

Scout
They might have less money but they've spent obscene amounts on Felix and Lemar, then there's Griezmann's wages, not to mention their average spend is something like 25m Euro's upwards on the rest of the players they buy. Pochettino got no where near that level of backing at Spurs and was lucky Kane happened to break through during his tenure.
They did it by selling players though, Felix was financed by Griezmann, Hernandez and Rodri. Almost every year they sell starters which finance the current window or the next one. As for Spurs there is only one summer where they didn't improve the starting eleven through transfers while almost never losing players that were actually used.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Would love to see him back and once he is here you guys will love him, seems odd he would leave preseason though. Even odder looking to get rid of him after 6 months of extending his contract.

the_cliff

Would love to see him back and once he is here you guys will love him, seems odd he would leave preseason though. Even odder looking to get rid of him after 6 months of extending his contract.
Apparently it's Poch who's tired of the circus not the other way round.

Personally, I think he'll stay. Why would he leave when he can get a run at ucl with Messi, win a league at minimum and get a fat payoff at the end of it ?

Jezpeza

Posts like this are so pointless. You don't know how Poch will end up. You don't know how Zidane would end up. You don't know how any manager would end up. You don't know who we have attempted to hire already.
Pochetinos ceiling is our basic requirement. Its fairly obvious how he will end up here

Zen86

Would you rather we get Brendan Rodgers, who seems to be the only other realistic target available? Personally I would rather shave my ballsack with oil and fire.
That’s it’s you’ve convinced me. I’m sold on Mauricio “at least he’s not Brendan Rodgers” Pochettino

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Think he will succeed at united?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Apparently it's Poch who's tired of the circus not the other way round.

Personally, I think he'll stay. Why would he leave when he can get a run at ucl with Messi, win a league at minimum and get a fat payoff at the end of it ?
First chance to stay and get a title at the very least for him, hes only 49.

Status
Not open for further replies.