g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mavericks and Liabilities Draft - R1 - Zlatan vs Edgar

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
ZLATAN:

EDGAR:

ZLATAN'S TACTICS:

Riquelme
Will play in his classic enganche roll free to roam and be his nonchalant self, he’ll have 3 hard working midfielders behind him to allow him freedom to express his flair and play making abilities and two technical and mobile attackers infront of him to link with aswell as fullbacks bombing forward, a playmakers dream.

Montero
Will have lucio next to him as the ball playing centre back which will allow him to concentrate on his defensive duties first and foremost and Dunga shielding in front of him. also able to play on the left although not his preferred position he is ideally suited to cover that side when Marcelo makes his runs forward.

Two attacking wingbacks to provide width, both with excellent crossing ability that will suit Kluivert and crespos arial ability.

Dunga sitting deepest shielding the defence but also a player with underrated passing ability to spring attacks after interceptions.

Cambiasso the left footed midfielder playing a box to box roll and Essien with the same job on the right.

Crespo as the hard working forward will pull defends around leaving more room for riquelme, he will also link well with Kluivert. The technical ability of Kluivert, crespo and riquelme should create some beautiful football.

EDGAR'S TACTICS:

Formation
: 4-3-3

Team Profile:

Nothing to say about the players as they are all familiar names.

+ GOAT GK. Solid CB's flanked by creative and industrious FBs who can contribute to both ends of the pitch. Zito is the shield, a very organized and intelligent players who's no mug on the ball either. workrate, positioning, ability to recycle the ball quickly, he has it all.

+ Ahead of him are two of the best midfield playmakers in the draft. Van Hanegem with his bendy runs from the deep and Schuster's midfield mastery pulling the strings from the middle. Both have high workrate and will put up a good show on the defensive side of things too.

+ Bettega and Signori are excellent wide forwards who are comfortable out wide of through the middle. Versatile and intelligent players who are lethal in scoring themselves and possess ability to drop wide/deep and create for others. Both are have an eye for the goal and a mind to exploit spaces. Big game man, Zlatan leading the line in a free role False 9 role. Scoring, passing, finishing he has it all. This will be a free flowing attack which will take full advantage of my midfield's creativity.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Thanks Pat. All the best, Zlatan!

Profiles:

Liability:
Gerard Pique

Overview:

One of the defensive mainstays of that great Barca side. A complete modern ball playing center back who combines strength and ability both on ground and in the air along with good ball playing abilities. A nuanced and intelligent player he can read the game well, position himself to cut off attacks but an also put in tackles when needed. Quite comfortable stepping out or taking more offensive positions to support the attack, he was a integral to Barca's tactical style in building from the back. On the flip side, he's more of a system player requiring a good supporting cast to elevate his own game rather than vice versa. Not really fast, he left the bulk of the dirty work (ball recovery, aggressive tacking etc) to Puyol while he pulled strings from the back. Though completely different in style, him and Puyol complemented each other perfectly making them one of the best CB pairs of modern football.

This game:

Here in this match, he's paired with Albert Shesternyov, a tough, physical and lightning quick player. He is excellent at covering for Pique. A big upgrade on Puyol. We are playing a normal attacking game and not the Barca high-line. This reduces the gap behind the defensive line limiting the exposure due to Pique's lack of pace. By no means a defensive set up, the team offers lot of space of Pique to initiate attacks from the deep. Two attacking wingbacks on either side make for easy outlets to move the ball up and Zito as a solid shield ahead does help complete the defensive picture well.

Maverick: Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Overview:

A true maverick of real life football, not just this draft :-) Pretty much a complete CF who can do it all. tall and strong, excellent both on the ground and in the air, versatile to play as back to goal CF or as a playmaking SS, vision, passing, creativity...he just had it all. But as with anything he required a certain team to be built around him to get the best out.

This game:

Though surrounded by creative playmakers, he's got full freedom to dictate play and be the mainstay of the attack. Both Signori and Bettega are selfless players who are versatile themselves to complement Zlatan rather than try to be the star themselves (which is the the key!). Van Hanegem and Schuster's passes on the ground, crosses from the fullbacks, two WFs who can stretch play or make runs to get on end of his passes making for one fluid and tactically impossible to defend attack.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good team from Zlatan. A formation similar to what Riquelme excelled in at Villareal (where for some reason, he tended to get shuttled out wide in a 4-4-2'esque formation).
Solid midfield. I always through Cambiasso (esp later day version) was quite underrated in attacking contribution. Good striker duo too.

Don't really rate that defence. Too many gung-ho type players. Montero, Zambarotta and Marcelo are all better in a back 3 imo. Plus Dida...when he's good he's good, but not really consistent. Prone to errors esp in high pressure situations.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks for the kind words edgar, I agree the defence is a bit gung ho but it’s shielded by a solid and white defensive minded midfield. I’m quite happy with how balanced it turned out to be honest.

I think the two centre backs would contain Ibra well enough, both dominant in the air and I’d like to see Ibra try is shit with lucio :lol: Your main threat would be in behind my attacking full backs but I think montero and a Essien dropping deeper on the other side would be enough to manage that.

My attack would run riot

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Your main threat would be in behind my attacking full backs but I think montero and a Essien dropping deeper on the other side would be enough to manage that.
Fair. I do believe that Bettega and Signori will exploit that space and drag your CBs off position. Lucio is good but too much rests on his shoulders alone.

Lots riding on Riquelme alone. Not having a Senna as additional outlet from deep may be a mistake. Zito has enough support to ensure he doesn't have time and space to pull strings or be influential.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
lovely team @Zlatan 7 , ideally id pick someone else instead of Kluivert or Crespo - someone a bit faster that plays that can also create for him self. What i dont like is defence, Lucio is a terrible partner for Montero as both are way to rush and need a more stable partner next to them.

@Edgar Allan Pillow with a great team as well though im not really sure im buying Ibra as false 9....he will have his moments of brilliance but dont think he was ever that consistent with his creativity, if anything he was more open to drifting out wide rather then dropping deep. As for Beppe, i used him in same role but someone made a remark(joga, gio or mustard IIRC) that stayed with me and that i agree on - how he was the player that started centrally and drifted outside rather then the other way around so he isnt that good for the role as i initially thought

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
lovely team @Zlatan 7 , ideally id pick someone else instead of Kluivert or Crespo - someone a bit faster that plays that can also create for him self. What i dont like is defence, Lucio is a terrible partner for Montero as both are way to rush and need a more stable partner next to them.

@Edgar Allan Pillow with a great team as well though im not really sure im buying Ibra as false 9....he will have his moments of brilliance but dont think he was ever that consistent with his creativity, if anything he was more open to drifting out wide rather then dropping deep. As for Beppe, i used him in same role but someone made a remark(joga, gio or mustard IIRC) that stayed with me and that i agree on - how he was the player that started centrally and drifted outside rather then the other way around so he isnt that good for the role as i initially thought
A compliment on my team from you Bepo :lol: I’ll take that.
I agree with you on the centre backs and really I should have got someone less rash than lucio but all the good ball players had gone and I have a soft spot for lucio, like a wild horse. Choosing centre backs is never my favourite thing to do. Hopefully playing Ibra on his own and him having to drop deep will help the defence stay more rigid especially with Dunga in front of them.

also, I didn’t think crespo was no slouch

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Fair. I do believe that Bettega and Signori will exploit that space and drag your CBs off position. Lucio is good but too much rests on his shoulders alone.

Lots riding on Riquelme alone. Not having a Senna as additional outlet from deep may be a mistake. Zito has enough support to ensure he doesn't have time and space to pull strings or be influential.
Crespo is more than capable to drop deeper too to occupy midfielders and help free up space for riquelme to work in

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Also Edgar, you haven’t detailed how your maverick and liability word work or be covered for and what their roles would be for them to excel in the team you’ve chosen. I don’t think you’ve set the team up to get the best out of zlatan

Edit: ah sorry, I see you have now in a later post

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
He doesn't have full creative responsibilities here. The actual running of the game will be done by Schuster with support from van Hanegem. F9 still works more like a SS than a #10. Whenever he drops back you have Bettega or Signori ahead.

Also I don't really recall Zlatan drifting wide often I would not play him as wide forward. He's a central player.

Šjor Bepo

He doesn't have full creative responsibilities here. The actual running of the game will be done by Schuster with support from van Hanegem. F9 still works more like a SS than a #10. Whenever he drops back you have Bettega or Signori ahead.

Also I don't really recall Zlatan drifting wide often I would not play him as wide forward. He's a central player.
ohh didnt meant as a wide forward, just that he liked to pull out wide sometimes to find space rather then drop deep

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
ohh didnt meant as a wide forward, just that he liked to pull out wide sometimes to find space rather then drop deep
Definitely. this is fully fine as both my wide forwards are comfortable centrally too. He can drift to either flank and the players will cover for each other easily.

Re: Signori on the left. Here's Gio's posts from earlier:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mpfg-fraft-qf-gio-vs-sjor.472946/post-29473685

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mpfg-draft-sf-gio-vs-general_elegancia-invictus.473136/post-29512766

Signori looks fine for me - Mancini dropping into the false 9 means he can cut into the central space. Slightly different if Signori was expecting to play solely as a left winger, or as a dreaded left-midfielder drone in a Sacchi 4-4-2. But he's played this role for club and country and performed really well. Here are two great examples operating off the left in a fluid front 3 (could easily see him and Mbappe interchange on the counter here):

Or ripping Lippi's Juve to shreds the following year, inflicting their biggest defeat in the last 3 decades:

Unquote

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I like what @Zlatan 7 is doing here and I’m not sure about Zlatan as a false 9 either.

What’s the role of Cambiasso and Essien in the midfield 3?
Thanks

they are more for protection of the back line as Zambrotta and Marcelo will be getting forward when they can. I thought Essien more so as he can cover the right, Cambiasso more license to join attack as he’s more than good at doing that while montero can cover the left. Dunga can always drop when fullback goes forward

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't see it as too different from what Zlatan played in PSG anyway. You can replace Moura with Cavani on the right and it gets even more similar to what he has with Signori in here.
Plus Bettega is far more suited as wide forward than Di Maria. By drifting into space between CB and FB, he'll open up more space for Zlatan to operate in.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
they are more for protection of the back line as Zambrotta and Marcelo will be getting forward when they can. I thought Essien more so as he can cover the right, Cambiasso more license to join attack as he’s more than good at doing that while montero can cover the left. Dunga can always drop when fullback goes forward
That rarely works the way you imagine it would. I doubt Cambiasso will help in stopping a quick pass from Van Hanegem to Signori to exploit space behind Marcelo.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I doubt zlatan will be able to drop deep against Dunga like he would in the French league either, that psg formation is set up different to your team too

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I just think playing zlatan as a false 9 and wanting the wingers to get in behind us a waste of him and not playing the maverick to his strength. I’d be more than happy if he wanted to drop deep and get away from goal mingling with my midfielders

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That rarely works the way you imagine it would. I doubt Cambiasso will help in stopping a quick pass from Van Hanegem to Signori to exploit space behind Marcelo.
I could also easily say that Schuster will be now where near Dunga or Cambiasso who could play a ball into crespo pulling out wide into the space left by your full backs if you’re using that psg graphic as a way how your team is playing

Pat_Mustard

I quite like Signori as a Zlatan partner, with his pace, relative comfort in wide areas and proven ability to thrive playing off 'big man' CFs like Casiraghi. That frontline as a whole doesn't quite click for me though. As Sjor phrased it, I'm not sure that Zlatan was consistently creative in the way you'd want from a False 9, and I don't think he'd especially like playing a facilitative role for two goalscorers in the wide areas. I'd prefer a more creative presence on the RW than Bettega, be it a more traditional winger, a wide playmaker or something in between.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah. Signori is fine. I'd prefer another provider (pure winger or creative wide forward) alongside Ibra. It looks like Ibra is the provider here, even though his peak was as the finisher (if i remember correctly).

Although still prefer EAP just because so little creativity in Zlatan's. I think a creative player like Riquelme still need at least another one on the same length to bounce passes. Vidal or Giresse in CM??

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah. Signori is fine. I'd prefer a provider (pure winger or creative forward) alongside Ibra. It looks like Ibra is the provider here, even though his peak was as the finisher (if i remember correctly).

Although still prefer EAP just because so little creativity in Zlatan's. I think a creative player like Riquelme still need at least another one on the same length to bounce passes. Vidal or Giresse in CM??
Someone like Cambiasso you mean?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Big question is, has he mitigated his liability well?

Definitely no. I can't think of a worse setup for Montero sandwiched between Marcelo and Lucio. I'd call it borderline dysfunctional. None of them have the tactical discipline or mentality to make this work well.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
a bit more creative, probably. But i don't know.
Riquelme Cambiasso crespo. There’s an abundance of creativity between these 3 plus Kluivert and the Marcelo and Zambrotta, it’s dripping wet in creativity.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Definitely no. I can't think of a worse setup for Montero sandwiched between Marcelo and Lucio. I'd call it borderline dysfunctional. None of them have the tactical discipline or mentality to make this work well.
bigger question is how you’ve wasted your maverick by wanting him to drop deep

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Will be fine when your main player and maverick doesn’t want to be near them

Pat_Mustard

Bettega did exactly that for Juve. Shuttled out wide, he was the both the wide man and sole creative output from the right. I'd take him over Di Maria anytime.

They're polar opposites as wide attackers really. Bettega was a physical powerhouse with great movement and workrate, but unless I've completely overlooked this aspect of his game he doesn't compare to Di Maria as a dribbler and final ball merchant. According to transfermarkt, in the 41 matches Zlatan and Di Maria played together Di Maria provided 10 assists directly to Zlatan, and 24 assists overall. That's pretty freaky. I don't see Bettega remotely replicating that sort of creativity, for all his other talents, and I'd prefer Di Maria in this setup.

@harms has watched plenty of Juve in Bettega's era I think, so maybe he could weigh in.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
On Zlatan as F9, that's where I was tempted to play him if I had him. I don't see him as a facilitator but rather the wide forwards occupy the defence to allow him to do his own thing which will also include playing them in with a through ball on occasions. Zlatan was a highly individualistic player who didn't pass or link with others that much (at least that's how he played at Inter from memory) he key is to give him space to do as he pleases and I think the false 9 role works well in that regard. The only other option for him I think is as an SS in a 442 (non-diamond).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
On Zlatan I agree that Bettega isn't quite ideal and a creative wide attacker would've rounded off the attack more cohesively. Still, I rate Ibra's creative / false 9 game pretty highly - he regularly got 10+ assists in Serie A and Ligue Un campaigns during his best years. One of the best examples from memory was his very Totti-esque performance in Milan's 4-0 pumping of Arsenal in the Champions League.

At the other end Pique looks well complemented by Shesternyev who has all the physical attributes the Spaniard lacks, while the two full-backs are nice fits for a more possession focused game.

For Riquelme I reckon he would enjoy the South American theme around him, particularly hooking up with Cambiasso and Crespo again, while the shape looks Villarreal-esque. The only quibble for me is some sheer pace in the attack to really make the most of Riquelme's through ball potential. As for Montero I can see the positives - the on-the-ball dominance from that area of the park as he unleashes Marcelo down the flank; the familiar compact midfield unit ahead; the wavelength shared with Dunga/Cambiasso etc - and the risks with little coverage from out wide and an uber-pro-active partner in Lucio. But again in terms of this game, he looks a good match-up for Bettega.

Pat_Mustard

I'm calling this a draw. Zlatan has built around his maverick better, but Edgar has assembled one of the stronger squads overall, particularly the midfield and FB pairing. Neither liability looks particularly exposed here stylistically by what they're up against.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well done @Edgar Allan Pillow

I’m usually resigned to losing as soon as I post my team but I actually liked what I did here and thought I stood at least a bit of a chance to win.

never mind, all the best in your next game :)

Šjor Bepo

I’m usually resigned to losing as soon as I post my team but I actually liked what I did here and thought I stood at least a bit of a chance to win.

one of your better teams, maybe the trick is that gives you more players then you pick

Pat_Mustard

A wee bit more attention to your defence and GK and you'd have won this probably. As it was, I thought you argued your case well and I was closer to voting for you.