Mavericks and Liabilities Draft - R1 - Zlatan vs Edgar

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
A wee bit more attention to your defence and GK and you'd have won this probably. As it was, I thought you argued your case well and I was closer to voting for you.
I thought I needed attacking full backs because the front was so narrow, maybe I should have got someone less gung ho than lucio though yeah, and Dida, although he fitted my theme.

maybe next time :)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The response to Zlatan was certainly quite underwhelming, which I didn't expect. There inherently is a huge overlap in playing styles between SS and F9. Players like Rooney, Kane etc do fit well as F9.

Having Messi as the blueprint for F9 is just impractical. He was the pinnacle of that position.

I certainly can't figure out the lack of "creativity", when it's not necessarily a requirement of F9. Ability to link up play with wide forwards is pretty much is what that position needs and Zlatan definitely does have it.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I thought I needed attacking full backs because the front was so narrow, maybe I should have got someone less gung ho than lucio though yeah, and Dida, although he fitted my theme.

maybe next time :)
TBF Lucio reigned himself in later in his career alongside Walter Samuel, player not too dissimilar to Montero.

sherrinford

The response to Zlatan was certainly quite underwhelming, which I didn't expect. There inherently is a huge overlap in playing styles between SS and F9. Players like Rooney, Kane etc do fit well as F9.

Having Messi as the blueprint for F9 is just impractical. He was the pinnacle of that position.

I certainly can't figure out the lack of "creativity", when it's not necessarily a requirement of F9. Ability to link up play with wide forwards is pretty much is what that position needs and Zlatan definitely does have it.
Surprising, really.

A false nine is what Ibrahimovic 'is', for me. He regularly converged on the ball and was predominantly a great link man throughout his career - retaining that aspect of his game even as he matured into a great goalscorer (it doesn't have to be one or the other, as also exemplified by the likes of Messi,Totti, Kane, Rooney, Van Persie and Tevez - all primary goal threats for their teams while dropping deep from the centre forward position).

I don't really understand the lacking creativity argument either as Zlatan's game was littered with clever little passes, flicks, backheels and other improvisations - he was an obviously creative forward.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Player starts at CB for almost a decade for Juve in one of the meanest defences Serie A has ever seen.

And yet, he is a liability. You guys are onto something.

Great side @Zlatan 7 really like the setup around Riquelme. Unfortunately when people think of Crespo they remember the cumbersome Milan/Chelsea incarnations and not the nippy Parma striker that became the world's most expensive player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I had Montero before. Just partnered him with Ferrara, and he's gold. Proven partnership.