McTominay as a striker (3/4th choice in case that isn't entirely obvious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedFire

He turns 26 in December. It might be too late to learn all the tricks of the trade of being a striker, or is it.

He is physically perfect as a striker, strong, has experience of winning balls in the air. At 6 foot 3 he has the height for winning crosses, although so far hasn't shown any heading ability in terms of getting goals.

He is pretty quick. His composure and striking ability is very good.

I'd argue Man Utd shouldn't be putting square pegs in round holes, but I do think McTominay would be a better striker than midfielder so if we can't replace him either way I'd be inclined to get him out of the midfield.

Thoughts? Ramblings of a mad man or something in it? He clearly won't have the skill of a Martial, but he might have the physical attributes to offer something else.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
McTominay as a goalkeeper? He’s 6’4 and can kick the ball very hard

Woodzy

He turns 26 in December. It might be too late to learn all the tricks of the trade of being a striker, or is it.

He is physically perfect as a striker, strong, has experience of winning balls in the air. At 6 foot 3 he has the height for winning crosses, although so far hasn't shown any heading ability in terms of getting goals.

I'd argue Man Utd shouldn't be putting square pegs in round holes, but I do think McTominay would be a better striker than midfielder so if we can't replace him either way I'd be inclined to get him out of the midfield.

Thoughts? Ramblings of a mad man or something in it? He clearly won't have the skill of a Martial, but he might have the physical attributes to offer something else.
Yup

bringbackbebe

Hold your horses. It was a deflected shot :lol:

UnitedFire

Hold your horses. It was a deflected shot :lol:
You don't judge off one irrelevant pre season game! It just triggered the thought given our sudden lack of strikers and the obvious conclusions that he isn't cutting it in midfield.

El-Manos

You started early

Sylar

Second striker.
Like Lampard. Hes already got the deflection part down.

Chief123

Message a mod. I’m sure they’ll be able to help you delete the thread.

Brophs

The One and Only
Anything to be said for McTominay being a baddie in a Rocky movie? He’s got the flat top hair for it.

UnitedFire

Insulting another member
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/judgement-day-friday-15th-july.471618/
Have you not learnt from previous seasons how our slow action has resulted in bad starts to the season and cost us points that come the end of the season could have also cost us top 4. This isn't a far reach.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/debunking-the-this-squad-came-2nd-in-20-21-theory.471383/
Fact... A large number of players who got us 2nd aren't here. Flagging that is important to shut that idea down. It was getting boring.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/delete.471382/
Was a duplicate, clear flagged to delete.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/frenkie-de-jong-seals-the-deal-good-man.471356/
I bet you are fun at parties for picking up on this thread.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/why-did-we-miss-out-on-kamara.470651/
Given our lack of transfer action so far and our lack of budget, this question as a general principle continues to hold. Same as Bisoumma. It's about the general principle of why our club seem to be missing out on a lot of the value deals in recent years. Always over paying.
They should take action against you.

You aren't a mod, so don't tried to pretend you are.

I really do dislike arrogant little shits who think they are better than others, but just suffer from small penis syndrome.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He used to be a striker to be fair.

He’s just not good enough.

UnitedFire

He used to be a striker to be fair.

He’s just not good enough.
How do you know?

Most fans don't think he is good enough in midfield, but multiple managers do.

Maybe he is just better in midfield in the mind of managers. It doesn't necessarily mean he isn't good as a striker.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
How do you know?

Most fans don't think he is good enough in midfield, but multiple managers do.

Maybe he is just better in midfield in the mind of managers. It doesn't necessarily mean he isn't good as a striker.
If he wasn’t good enough or better suited elsewhere in youth then why on earth would he all of a sudden at 26 turn into a top striker for a club supposed to be elite?

I meant in general he just isn’t good enough.

OverratedOpinion

There are bad ideas, then there are some ideas that go so far into the negative that you have to question whether your have accidently walked into some prototype time machine that has reverted you to being 3 years old and lacking the reading and comprehension skills to truly understand what people are trying to say.

This is worse than that.

UnitedFire

If he wasn’t good enough or better suited elsewhere in youth then why on earth would he all of a sudden at 26 turn into a top striker for a club supposed to be elite?

I meant in general he just isn’t good enough.
Scotland decided he is a defender without having previously played that as far as I'm aware.

And we all know we aren't elite.

He has had plenty of chance to show he isn't the level required in midfield, but continues to show finishing ability.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He can be a CB in a 3 man defence or a right back. Other than he isn't good enough for us in any position.

He would still be a very good player for a mid table club.

UnitedFire

There are bad ideas, then there are some ideas that go so far into the negative that you have to question whether your have accidently walked into some prototype time machine that has reverted you to being 3 years old and lacking the reading and comprehension skills to truly understand what people are trying to say.

This is worse than that.
I mean it's really not hard to comprehend. His best attribute appears to be his finishing ability. He was a striker in the youth system.

This isn't complicated.

Loony BoB

I do like McT, tbh, and I think he has a place as a squad member for us for sure and don't panic if he's playing any more than anyone else in our midfield. Having said that I don't think he's a striker at all. He's a Gerrard style (not saying quality, saying style) player who can take big hefty shots from around the edge of the box or a little further out on occasion. He's had some wonderful goals from there, not so much from five feet off the goal line.

OverratedOpinion

I mean it's really not hard to comprehend. His best attribute appears to be his finishing ability. He was a striker in the youth system.

This isn't complicated.
Oh no, it's not complicated at all. Just a terrible idea. The line about lack of comprehension was more about the fact that I am shocked that anyone would even suggest it with a straight face.

Status
Not open for further replies.