McTominay: so rare for a youngster to come through an academy and straight into the PL as ready made

TehRed

Last night he was so calm in possession, played some smart passes, won the ball well, he really reminded me of prime Carrick. If he can continue to develop, and show what he showed here against Barcelona, he could have a good future ahead of him. I think a lot of the things people like about Declan Rice, we may already be seeing from McTominay. Just a question of consistency from him now.

Smores

Twice. And Dalot started 3 league games (his last 3) under Mourinho and a couple of cup games. Hardly faith is it?

But yes certain people do talk bollocks. They also lack introspection.
Twice, I'm surprised he even remembers how to play midfield!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Last night he was so calm in possession, played some smart passes, won the ball well, he really reminded me of prime Carrick. If he can continue to develop, and show what he showed here against Barcelona, he could have a good future ahead of him. I think a lot of the things people like about Declan Rice, we may already be seeing from McTominay. Just a question of consistency from him now.
‘Prime Carrick?’

Carrick in his prime had the likes of
Xavi and Iniesta claiming he could play in the great Barca side. You really putting him in that bracket?

haram

Fred who he didn't want to play, McTominay who he played in defence and Dalot who barely got a look in? Come on now.
Or Fred and Dalot who he signed and Scott who he gave a debut to. What a garbage post.

TehRed

‘Prime Carrick?’

Carrick in his prime had the likes of
Xavi and Iniesta claiming he could play in the great Barca side. You really putting him in that bracket?
The way he played reminded me of the way Carrick played, in no way am I saying that McTominay is or will be as good as Carrick was. Just pointing out that his style in that game was similar.

Inigo Montoya

Or Fred and Dalot who he signed and Scott who he gave a debut to. What a garbage post.
Wait! Is this in praise of Jose or putting perspective?
Because if it is the latter, you also have to state that Jose did stifle the team’s creativity, destroyed the confidence of a few players and had clear favourites even if it meant we played very negative football for the first half of the season.
To suggest that he played McT to the benefit of the team is way off the truth. Fred, he didn’t trust and Dalot was kept in reserve most of the time.

Inigo Montoya

The way he played reminded me of the way Carrick played, in no way am I saying that McTominay is or will be as good as Carrick was. Just pointing out that his style in that game was similar.
Got yer! ;)

haram

Wait! Is this in praise of Jose or putting perspective?
Because if it is the latter, you also have to state that Jose did stifle the team’s creativity, destroyed the confidence of a few players and had clear favourites even if it meant we played very negative football for the first half of the season.
To suggest that he played McT to the benefit of the team is way off the truth. Fred, he didn’t trust and Dalot was kept in reserve most of the time.
It was for the benefit of the team. Not Jose’s fault people on here didn’t appreciate Scott last season. Fred is still adjusting to the team and league right now and Jose always had high for praise for Dalot. The criticism is getting ridiculous.

Inigo Montoya

It was for the benefit of the team. Not Jose’s fault people on here didn’t appreciate Scott last season. Fred is still adjusting to the team and league right now and Jose always had high for praise for Dalot. The criticism is getting ridiculous.
The criticism here always lacks balance and borders on childish hysteria.

Posters here are like 8 yr olds who have childish spats over who their best friends are and who can play with them at break. Next day they choose a new best friend and hate the old one.

Dion

He played Dalot twice before he knew the game was up and gave Fred no opportunities to get a run in the side.

haram

He played Dalot twice before he knew the game was up and gave Fred no opportunities to get a run in the side.
Both players need time to settle into this league and side, it's obvious if you have actually watched them play. You have plenty of things to criticise Jose for, don't go around trying to twist things like his involvement in introducing players like Dalot and McTominay.

Eleven-Eighteen

:lol: You’re right, what you said hasn’t changed. It was wrong then, and it’s still wrong. McT has put in a shift for more than one game, which you would know if you bothered to watch him. He’s not a name, he’s not flashy or full of talent, but he works hard and he does the simple things really well. lll take one McT over ten pogbas every day of the week.
Amen

Dion

Both players need time to settle into this league and side, it's obvious if you have actually watched them play. You have plenty of things to criticise Jose for, don't go around trying to twist things like his involvement in introducing players like Dalot and McTominay.
And yet Dalot was dropped in vs Arsenal on a hiding to nothing and then played 3 times when Jose knew he was getting the sack. Fred was left out in the wilderness with no chance to actually ease himself in. Nobody can look back on the handling of those two and say it was a job well done.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
People still defending Jose Mourinho?

Good lord, go soak your heads and reflect on his tenure. Shit on a stick is being kind. feck him.

haram

And yet Dalot was dropped in vs Arsenal on a hiding to nothing and then played 3 times when Jose knew he was getting the sack. Fred was left out in the wilderness with no chance to actually ease himself in. Nobody can look back on the handling of those two and say it was a job well done.
:lol:

Firstly he is the one that signed Dalot, secondly Fred was playing poorly and thirdly you leave Scott out because you know Jose deserves credit. He only played Dalot because he knew he was going to get sacked :lol:. Give me a break.

String of crap posts from you trying to twist what actually happened. Im done with this anyway.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Firstly he is the one that signed Dalot, secondly Fred was playing poorly and thirdly you leave Scott out because you know Jose deserves credit. He only played Dalot because he knew he was going to get sacked :lol:. Give me a break.

String of crap posts from you trying to twist what actually happened. Im done with this anyway.
Fred was playing poorly because he was used wrong. McTominay is also playing a lot better now.

And why does Mourinho deserve credit for McTominay? Because he did not throw him away? So we should give him credit because he did not do something stupid? I understand we set the bar low now...

Web of Bissaka

Mou could've manage McTominay (and the others) better. I have no problems with how he managed Fred and Dalot, game wise.

Remember he started Fred surprisingly early at start of this season and Fred is so inconsistent and made costly mistakes. Remember Fred also struggled early games with Ole with the same inconsistency and mistakes, even Ole commented Fred need to do more and is then under training program to fix it, it works and now he's finally fine and a lot more consistent. Dalot also have injury problem at the start of this season, and after recover, to regain fitness -- playing in reserve for a few while (even the others eg. Pereira under Ole and the same with Rojo after recover played there, so what's the problem), after that Mou slowly introduce a 18/19 y.o. Dalot to the EPL. Do people seriously expect a new youngster just back from injury to play straightaway in EPL every single game....?

I hate how he managed McTominay this season though -- only remember two games.
  1. let's use this kid and throw him at RCB in a 5 defenders formation, to make some sort of statement to the clueless people running at the top hieararchy of the club. We concede early and it turns to chasing game. Didn't play that well.. so shocking.... and I think Mou hooked him off sub out.
  2. started McTominic at midfield, and both Matic and McT played well, then was it red card or injury or something else? vs Newcastle I believe. Anyway, then let's pull back McT into the CB slot, and oh my he was targeted all right (Newcastle gets it) and our defense had a shocker. Mou subbed him out half-time and we don't see McT play anymore... until Ole came back.
Then again there seems to be something wrong with Mou's coaching this season so... and him messing up the team morale doesn't help either.

haram

Fred was playing poorly because he was used wrong. McTominay is also playing a lot better now.

And why does Mourinho deserve credit for McTominay? Because he did not throw him away? So we should give him credit because he did not do something stupid? I understand we set the bar low now...
Oh here we go. Fred has had a couple good games, and now apparently he is being used correctly :lol:. Had nothing to do with himself that he was generally struggling with his own touch and passing.

McTominay was not seen as a player that would step up, so yes he deserves credit for putting him into the first team and believing in a player that the fans certainly didnt believe in.

This forum is unbelievable at times. Apparently Jose did nothing right.

Dante

Average bang
You may have noticed but like I said, blindingly obvious means all can see it.
Semantics.

If you wanna go down that route, Jordan Henderson is as good as Paul Scholes.

The truth is that McTominay's one-touch play is incredible. It was obvious from the start, imo. Maybe not to a certain subset of FM "experts". But then koweldege and judgement is not necessarily democratic. They're dependent on understanding and intelligence. Not everyone has that.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Oh here we go. Fred has had a couple good games, and now apparently he is being used correctly :lol:. Had nothing to do with himself that he was generally struggling with his own touch and passing.

McTominay was not seen as a player that would step up, so yes he deserves credit for putting him into the first team and believing in a player that the fans certainly didnt believe in.

This forum is unbelievable at times. Apparently Jose did nothing right.
So why did Man Utd give McTominay new contracts even before Mourinho arrived? Should we really set the bar that low? That we give Mou credit for keeping a talented player (just because some people on the redcafe and the social media did not view him as that)?

If a professional manager at this level got rid of a footballer that turned out to to be a really good player, he should come under a lot of scrutiny. If the biggest achievement of a manager is recognizing that a talented young player, that he sees at training every day, is in fact a talented young player, it really does not say much in my opinion. What is more telling is how Mourinho failed to play to McTominays strengths and how he repeatedley used him wrong, making him into a scapegoat.

haram

So why did Man Utd give McTominay new contracts even before Mourinho arrived? Should we really set the bar that low? That we give Mou credit for keeping a talented player (just because some people on the redcafe and the social media did not view him as that)?

If a professional manager at this level got rid of a footballer that turned out to to be a really good player, he should come under a lot of scrutiny. If the biggest achievement of a manager is recognizing that a talented young player, that he sees at training every day, is in fact a talented young player, it really does not say much in my opinion. What is more telling is how Mourinho failed to play to McTominays strengths and how he repeatedley used him wrong, making him into a scapegoat.
This person had managed to remove all credit from Jose for Scott's rise :lol:. Bravo. You don't know what you're talking about, or you are purposefully trying to be disingenuous to fit an agenda. Probably both.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
This person had managed to remove all credit from Jose for Scott's rise :lol:. Bravo. You don't know what you're talking about, or you are purposefully trying to be disingenuous to fit an agenda. Probably both.
You argue so well for your opinions I dont really know what to say anymore..

Dion

I feel the lack of logic in your posts has been adequately pointed out by @andersj and I have no desire to add to your misery.