McTominay: so rare for a youngster to come through an academy and straight into the PL as ready made

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Great performance from him. Improving so fast.

His passing has become so much better, must be a reflection of the confidence instilled in him.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did anyone catch his post match interview? The mentality and confidence of this kid is something to behold. He seems to improve every game he plays and if he continues on that path he's gonna be a real asset for us.

If he dominates the midfield at Nou Camp like he did at OT, we have a chance.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
If we look for positives this season then McT should be one of them. He has stepped up and never disappoints in big games. Him and Fred should get run of games and play all the games till the end of season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
An example for young players looking to breakthrough to follow. Doesn’t hesitate to get stuck in or be overwhelmed by an occasion. Fantastic work rate last night.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
And if we'd listened to the experts on here, he's extremely limited and no better than championship level.

The same experts who have a thread in which they think that a half fit, 20 year old Rashford needs someone to shout at him to make him do better.

You have to have patience with young players.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He has to now. He's done well in the toughest fixtures.
Yeah. Both him and Fred should play all games. They should be fresh as they barely played all season, also their performance is better than Matic and Herrera's.

Ban

I thought he was just a Jose favorite cause he likes tall players?

Anyway he played like a seasoned veteran, like playing vs Barcelona at OT is nothing special. For a young player it's remarkable.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The opening comments in this thread :lol:

Kostur

海尔的老板
The shithousery he was given by the certain fanclub on this forum looks even dumber with every passing day, oh the joy.

You cannot question his commitment and mentality when he's been easily our MOTM in two toughest fixtures as of yet this season. Delighted for him, been head and shoulders above every other midfielder yesterday.

Eleven-Eighteen

You can't polish a turd.

Not saying McTominay is awful but he certainly lacks ability on the ball and isn't the best tackler. But could stay based on his attitude and professionalism.
Looks like you're eating your turds, I mean words, now

Nickosaur

He has to now. He's done well in the toughest fixtures.
I said to my mates last night - with Ander leaving and Matic ageing badly, Fred and McT are the future. Play them together every game until the end of the season.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
That was great to see. Didn't he also sign a new contract not too long ago? :)

ScarleyUtd

And if we'd listened to the experts on here, he's extremely limited and no better than championship level.

The same experts who have a thread in which they think that a half fit, 20 year old Rashford needs someone to shout at him to make him do better.

You have to have patience with young players.
Exactly right, some of the nonsense spouted on here.

lysglimt

Scout
Reminds me of Fletcher in his prime - constantly putting pressure on the opponents. Probably horrible to play against….

lysglimt

Scout
Tom has got a big future ahead of him, if United Blow 70 million on Rice when we have Tom then I don't know.
So just because we have one quality-player, we shouldn't sign another ?

GloryHunter07

Really impressed with him against Barcelona, particularly bits of close control in tight areas.

HJ12

With Herrera basically on his way out, we need to put faith in the guys that will be with us next season and give them the chance to develop - especially with McTominay who is clearly showing his got the ability to play regularly for us. I was initially leaning towards doing a Ramsey with Herrera i.e. he can still start games for us due to his professionalism, and what he offers to the team, etc., but it looks like there'll be more benefit to us and Scott to just let him keep playing.

He's been great in all his recent games, and his level keeps getting better and better. Last night particularly, he looked so comfortable and confident maintaining the ball under pressure, putting himself about, and was really tidy in his passing. Looking really promising.

crossy1686

career ending
The shithousery he was given by the certain fanclub on this forum looks even dumber with every passing day, oh the joy.

You cannot question his commitment and mentality when he's been easily our MOTM in two toughest fixtures as of yet this season. Delighted for him, been head and shoulders above every other midfielder yesterday.
It's embarrassing the way some people on here talk about our youth products, they would be embarrassed by their own actions but they're too busy slagging off Rashford in his thread instead...

crossy1686

career ending
Perhaps this is why Ole is prepared to let Herrera walk.
Exactly, we've got a ready made replacement and we don't know how good he can be yet. Herrera hasn't done enough over the years to justify his contract, McTomminay has done more in Europe this season than we ever expected from him. Would honestly be happy with a starting midfield of Pogba, McTomminay and Fred next year if they play like this every game.

tieunhilang

Exactly, we've got a ready made replacement and we don't know how good he can be yet. Herrera hasn't done enough over the years to justify his contract, McTomminay has done more in Europe this season than we ever expected from him. Would honestly be happy with a starting midfield of Pogba, McTomminay and Fred next year if they play like this every game.
Please no. Pogba was invisible last night. McTominay looked like a midfielder signed for 89 millions and Pogba looked like an academy boy learning his trade. :nervous:

crossy1686

career ending
Please no. Pogba was invisible last night. McTominay looked like a midfielder signed for 89 millions and Pogba looked like an academy boy learning his trade. :nervous:
Fecking hell, what a way to jump on a negative. The comment was more about McTomminay and Fred. Pogba has been mostly great this season.

frookydinho

What excites me more is how he has shown the battle in him like yesterday, but he also showed he is capable of getting goals such as the game vs Wolves. He scored one but put himself in good positions and could have scored more. I hope he continues to develop that side of his game as goals from midfield will show he can become a more rounded player

crossy1686

career ending
What I excites me more is how he has shown the battle in him like yesterday, but he also showed his capable of getting goals such as the game vs Wolves. He scored one but put himself in good positions and could have scored more. I hope he continues to develop that side of his game as goals from midfield will show he can become a more rounded player
If he adds long distance goals to his game he'll be one hell of a player

Mainoldo

Schooled Verratti and Busquets in 2 CL games. Might save some cash on that DM next summer and go for a forward instead, he is now my favorite player, though I already liked his commitment even during Mourinho's time.
I don’t think he’s a DM. But Fred looked very good in that role so maybe we can save some money on a DM. He’s always been a composed players it’s just figuring out if he’s Noble-Fletcher or Ambrosini composed. There’s levels to this.

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t think he’s a DM. But Fred looked very good in that role so maybe we can save some money on a DM. He’s always been a composed players it’s just figuring out if he’s Noble-Fletcher or Ambrosini composed. There’s levels to this.
He's bossed midfields comprised of Europe's best, I feel comfortable in saying he's going to be a better player than Noble.

steakpie

Looks like you're eating your turds, I mean words, now
What I said hasn't changed. He had one hell of a game last night but let's see if he can do it consistently. I also think he's one of those players who will play better in big games.

flappyjay

Tom has got a big future ahead of him, if United Blow 70 million on Rice when we have Tom then I don't know.
I prefer Mctominay when he plays as a box to box midfielder rather than as a dm. He has the energy to get around the pitch and harass opponents. With that I think we should get a dm with Fred and mctominay taking over from Ander as the box to box midfielder

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He was absolutely class away to Seville last season too. Very mature for his age.

Nick7

He was absolutely class away to Seville last season too. Very mature for his age.
He's been class in a lot of games, unfortunately for him he had the one two of being a Mourinho favourite and British. Therefore didn't get the praise he deserved.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I was really impressed with him last night - first time I've really had a proper look at him and he was excellent.

United Hobbit

I thought it was weird how Jose seemed to completely freeze him out this season given he even created an award for him at our award ceremony last season.

I've been very impressed by him lately I've posted more in the Darren Fletcher comparison thread but I've really liked how he's come into some big games after not being in the side and not looked out of place or tried to hide, he's stepped up and worked hard and is trying to create chances. I'd be inclined to give him a good run in the side until the end of the season.

What does everyone feel has potentially moved his game on do you think Ole and the coaching staff have been working with him or has he just needed time to develop?

He just needs to try and keep this sort of performance consistently as consistency is a big thing missing across this current group each player seems to put in a handful of very good performances then regress again.

Reddy Rederson

What I said hasn't changed. He had one hell of a game last night but let's see if he can do it consistently. I also think he's one of those players who will play better in big games.
:lol: You’re right, what you said hasn’t changed. It was wrong then, and it’s still wrong. McT has put in a shift for more than one game, which you would know if you bothered to watch him. He’s not a name, he’s not flashy or full of talent, but he works hard and he does the simple things really well. lll take one McT over ten pogbas every day of the week.