Mehdi Taremi

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
I've talked about him before in this thread.
Im a Porto fan, watch every game.

He is gonna be 31 in couple of days, at best he will be a good sub. He is not United material, at least not the good old United.

He is very intelligent player, a massive diver(although he has toned that down a bit lately), great penalty taker, good passer, good with the ball, good pressing, problem is he is a bit slow and his finishing is inconsistent. He is capable of amazing goals(bicycle kick against Chelsea in the CL for instance) and missing easy sitters.

His stats look good but he scores penalties, he scored 7 last season.

Most Porto fans will be happy if you take him, we need the money and he is barely good enough for Porto, that's the truth.

Reactions: harms

Przn

I've talked about him before in this thread.
Im a Porto fan, watch every game.

He is gonna be 31 in couple of days, at best he will be a good sub. He is not United material, at least not the good old United.

He is very intelligent player, a massive diver(although he has toned that down a bit lately), great penalty taker, good passer, good with the ball, good pressing, problem is he is a bit slow and his finishing is inconsistent. He is capable of amazing goals(bicycle kick against Chelsea in the CL for instance) and missing easy sitters.

His stats look good but he scores penalties, he scored 7 last season.

Most Porto fans will be happy if you take him, we need the money and he is barely good enough for Porto, that's the truth.
Barely good enough for Porto while being Portugal top scorer (or not far) every season he played there + good amount of goals in UCL/EL?? Really?!

The detailed description isn't far from the reality but the exaggerated half empty glass intro/conclusion is quite funny

Last edited:

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
He is quite far from the the best forwards Porto had. Porto aims for more than his level.

Diaz in his last half season, looked like Messi when compared to Taremi.

He scores a lot of penalties, so that helps his numbers, his assists are much more impressive than his goals. His speed seemed to decline a bit last season as well, that’s my biggest gripe with him.

He is a good player but he is a very frustrating player tbh, got me fuming a lot last season. He had a drop of form that lasted a long time. The penalties at the end of the season helped his numbers.

Hopefully you’ll take him.

Last edited:

Redstain

One of those signings where an aging player looks very good in a smaller league, but is miles behind the pace in a bigger league and ends up doing very little. Eventually runs down his contract and leaves quietly, leaving only the memories of the occasional good goal he scored.
The fact that United have more signings
of this profile of player for one position than any other is a concern over the last decade. This would be a disastrous signing.

Przn

He is quite far from the the best forwards Porto had. Porto aims for more than his level.

Diaz in his last half season, looked like messi when compared to Taremi.

He scores a lot of penalties, so that helps his numbers, his assists are much more impressive than his goals. His speed seemed to decline a bit last season as well, that’s my biggest gripe with him.

He is a good player but he is a very frustrating player tbh, got me fuming a lot last season. He had a drop of form that lasted a long time. The penalties at the end of the season helped his numbers.

Hopefully you’ll take him.
If I am not mistaken, he is the second topscorer of Porto history or second foreign top scorer. It's news to me Porto aims at Real Madrid standing and Mbappe as striker!

Joke aside, penalties are part of the game, without them, not sure Porto would enjoy UCL next season. I went to Porto last season and also watched a game at the stadium. Saw people there quite rate much more some solo egoistic Latino players.

All players have drop of form, specially last season with a world cup in the middle. Was quite surprised he finished the season quite strong and finished very close to the title (thanks to Taremi's goal against Benfica).

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
If I am not mistaken, he is the second topscorer of Porto history or second foreign top scorer. It's news to me Porto aims at Real Madrid standing and Mbappe as striker!

Joke aside, penalties are part of the game, without them, not sure Porto would enjoy UCL next season. I went to Porto last season and also watched a game at the stadium. Saw people there quite rate much more some solo egoistic Latino players.

All players have drop of form, specially last season with a world cup in the middle. Was quite surprised he finished the season quite strong and finished very close to the title (thanks to Taremi's goal against Benfica).
Not Mbappe obviously, but Deco, Lucho, Jardel, Falcão, Hulk, etc are the type of players that leave a mark in the history of the club.

Taremi is not even in the top 10 all time scorers for Porto, and the transfermarket list for foreigners is wrong(if that's where you saw the stats, Jardel should be way up top(168 goals for Porto)).

But football is not only stats. Marega scored loads for Porto and he is an average player, Porto fans disliked his football a lot.
A decent competent player playing up front for Porto, Benfica or Sporting is going to score a lot. It's an easy league for the top 3.(or 4 if you include Braga)

If someone makes a bid for Otávio I'll be fuming, because he is our best player, and one of the few that are close to world class along with D.Costa.
Taremi is a good player, competent don't get me wrong but we have to sell and I won't mind if he goes.

Przn

Not Mbappe obviously, but Deco, Lucho, Jardel, Falcão, Hulk, etc are the type of players that leave a mark in the history of the club.

Taremi is not even in the top 10 all time scorers for Porto, and the transfermarket list for foreigners is wrong(if that's where you saw the stats, Jardel should be way up top(168 goals for Porto)).

But football is not only stats. Marega scored loads for Porto and he is an average player, Porto fans disliked his football a lot.
A decent competent player playing up front for Porto, Benfica or Sporting is going to score a lot. It's an easy league for the top 3.(or 4 if you include Braga)

If someone makes a bid for Otávio I'll be fuming, because he is our best player, and one of the few that are close to world class along with D.Costa.
Taremi is a good player, competent don't get me wrong but we have to sell and I won't mind if he goes.
In Taremi case, he was topscorer of the league with Rio Ave, a little team that get relegated the season after his departure.

Deco, Lucho (slow af) don't play the same position than Taremi but I got the idea. Actually it confirmed what I said before, Porto fans taste or bias is much more on favor of latin/south american players.

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
In Taremi case, he was topscorer of the league with Rio Ave, a little team that get relegated the season after his departure.

Deco, Lucho (slow af) don't play the same position than Taremi but I got the idea. Actually it confirmed what I said before, Porto fans taste or bias is much more on favor of latin/south american players.
Nationally has nothing to do with it, Madjer is one of the clubs biggest legends and he is Algerian.
We all loved Benni McCarthy, Brahimi, etc

I just gave examples of more recent names and Porto happens to buy a lot from South America.

Tiquinho Soares is brazilian, scored loads for Porto, was he that great? Not really.

We have only one league title with Taremi in 3 years, that’s not only his fault obviously, but it’s just not good enough. He is just not the kind of guy to elevate the team to another level.
L.Diaz was and we miss him dearly.

We just bought Navarro from Gil Vicente, he scored a lot there too, will he be good enough? We will see.

Taremi is a good player for the league, the fans love him but we know he is replaceable.
That’s why Porto are pushing to sell him. (also it is last year of contract)

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

That's a bit harsh. He only had 3 seasons there, scoring 80 goals and 34 assists too. That's average 27 goals 11 assists per season.

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
It’s harsh, he was pretty good in the first 2 seasons, incredibly frustrating last season, like I said his assists are his best attribute, his scoring is fine, but a lot of those goals are penalties. He is better playing with someone up front with him.

In 3 years he scored 58 goals in the league, 16 were penalties. Sure that’s part of the game, but in open play he is not a top scorer.

Ac Milan is a good fit for him if it happens. Premier league would be a bit much for him imo.

Last edited:

Alex_89

Supports
FC Porto
Taremi is a very good team player and imo our best CF, but he is 31yo with 1 year left with contract, considering how lately we have been losing players free and selling cheap, it's great business.

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
As a Porto fan, seems you don't rate him(??) Who in the Premier league would you most compare him too.
He is our best forward, but he is 31 and he has 1 year of contract so he'll be out for free next year. Porto needs the money badly.
Although he was top scorer last year(lots of penalties included), I think he is declining a bit. He is a very intelligent player but a bit slow and his finishing is very inconsistent.

I don't know who he is similar too, maybe Kane, but without the great finishing. Taremi is also very good at assisting though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He is our best forward, but he is 31 and he has 1 year of contract so he'll be out for free next year. Porto needs the money badly.
Although he was top scorer last year(lots of penalties included), I think he is declining a bit. He is a very intelligent player but a bit slow and his finishing is very inconsistent.

I don't know who he is similar too, maybe Kane, but without the great finishing. Taremi is also very good at assisting though.
Weghorst obvs. :drool:

croadyman

Do you think he suits Utd or Spurs better,obviously would be more of a backup at Utd but less pressured situation in a weird kinda way

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
Do you think he suits Utd or Spurs better,obviously would be more of a backup at Utd but less pressured situation in a weird kinda way
Honestly I don’t know if he can handle the premier league pace, maybe United as a sub. I just don’t t know what to expect.

Another thing to consider he is a massive diver, he gets a lot of criticism here, I can only imagine how it would be in the premier league. Don’t know if he can handle the pressure.

Przn

I see him more successful at United than at Tottenham. Don't understand United didn't propose a swap Taremi/Martial + money

Paul_Pogba

It still boggles my mind how we're still not going for this guy, especially with the list of 35 year olds we've been linked with recently!

Paul_Pogba

Money restrictions
Reportedly he's signing for Inter on a free during the summer window, we could easily get him for 10-15 million and he's on low wages. Could easily give 2-3 years of good service.

SparkedIntoLife

I think the post from the Porto fan at the top of page 6 says why. He's not good enough. He's 31. He would be reasonably cheap but probably not value for money. I'm slightly suspicious about Guirassy for the same reason. I think a loan (Werner, Malen maybe but Choupo-Moting would be my preferred choice) would be the best solution and then reassess in the Summer when we have more FFP wiggle room and a more bedded in, quality footballing structure hopefully. We definitely need another striker to compete with Hojlund but this guy isn't it. I've suggested him in the past but, at 31, a striker who has never played in a better league than the Portuguese league and only has 3 goals in it this season doesn't make sense for us if we want to move forward.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

That's some striker depth they're amassing as they already have Martinez and Thuram doing bits for them up top

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

That's some striker depth they're amassing as they already have Martinez and Thuram doing bits for them up top
Might signal that they reckon the time is right to cash in on Lautaro.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Should we be in for him?
I like Martinez a lot. Finishes well off both feet, surprisingly decent in the air for a 5'9" lad, and has a good amount of fight in him in a similar kind of way to Tevez. He's scored 20 league goals in each of the last two seasons without many pens, and already has 18 in 18 this time. On top of that, his passing/dribbling stats are solid, and he puts in a shift defensively as well.

I think most people's negative impression of him is coloured by the fact that he was bobbins at the World Cup (which he was). Whether that was just a bit of bad form at the worst time, or if it shows he can't handle pressure, I don't know. Also not sure if it'd be wise spending big money on a striker in his prime if the plan is to back Hojlund for the long term.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I think we should go for someone as talented in the buildup as much as at finishing. Someone who can make their own chances and do the unexpected. We are still seriously lacking in any creativity.
That is literally Taremi. He's basically a Kane-lite. Drops deep, plays as a pseudo #10 as well as a typical target-man and finisher.

Would make a fantastic January signing on a 2.5 year contract to take some pressure from Hojlund.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Might signal that they reckon the time is right to cash in on Lautaro.
Not likely. They play a 2 striker system that requires 4 to sustain as a squad over a season. They are likely to lose either Alexis or on loan Arnautovic in the summer bringing their numbers down to just 3 or 2. Taremi is step one in addressing that. Besides he has renewed and is club captain.