Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Jeffthered

The overrated tosser was abysmally, utterly & consistently shite with an iffy attitude.

Don't understand why people are still trying to defend him.[/QUOTE
Here, here. This guy is an average footballer. The end.

Trizy

Happy for him but also happy he is no longer here. He's found his level.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's not a guaranteed starter at Lyon.
Started 20 out of 29 league games
Started 4 out of 4 cup games
Started 8 out of 10 in Europe league.

Safe to say, he is regular starter.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Started 20 out of 29 league games
Started 4 out of 4 cup games
Started 8 out of 10 in Europe league.

Safe to say, he is regular starter.
He is definitely a starter but there is no difference between him and Cornet, Bertrand Traoré is in my opinion far better than both of them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm so fed up with Memphis and his I'm-still-going-to-be-world-class-attitude. Now he's saying he wants to lead our national team back to glory. Feck off you painfully average flat track bully prick. Sure he has okay numbers, but his overall play and decision making are laughably bad and I severely doubt that will ever change.

At the same time all he does is whine that the Dutch press keeps making fun of him for his dumb instagram posts and silly clothes. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I'm so fed up with Memphis and his I'm-still-going-to-be-world-class-attitude. Now he's saying he wants to lead our national team back to glory. Feck off you painfully average flat track bully prick. Sure he has okay numbers, but his overall play and decision making are laughably bad and I severely doubt that will ever change.

At the same time all he does is whine that the Dutch press keeps making fun of him for his dumb instagram posts and silly clothes. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
Completely stopped listening to that guy when I heard him say something along the lines of 'only the Lord can judge me' and 'what happens is nobody's business, it's between me and God' in some interview last year. It sounded even more ridiculous because he was talking in Dutch.

I'll never forgive him for his 0 goals 0 assists during the Euro 2016 qualifiers though, given that we faced shite opponents like Lithuania and Kazachstan he really should've done something. But fair is fair, he'll most likely be a fine player when he's in the 26-29 age category, obviously not on the real elite level of Real, Bayern or even Juve because he will never really have a proper football brain. I also agree with @JPRouve that Bertrand Traoré is a slightly more promising player.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Completely stopped listening to that guy when I heard him say something along the lines of 'only the Lord can judge me' and 'what happens is nobody's business, it's between me and God' in some interview last year. It sounded even more ridiculous because he was talking in Dutch.

I'll never forgive him for his 0 goals 0 assists during the Euro 2016 qualifiers though, given that we faced shite opponents like Lithuania and Kazachstan he really should've done something. But fair is fair, he'll most likely be a fine player when he's in the 26-29 age category, obviously not on the real elite level of Real, Bayern or even Juve because he will never really have a proper football brain. I also agree with @JPRouve that Bertrand Traoré is a slightly more promising player.
That's the thing that baffles me. Ofcourse Memphis can be a fine player in his own right. Not world class but definitely far above average. He just possesses no self reflection or self knowledge whatsoever. He's not the guy to lead Holland anywhere, because he is simply not a leader. He's great when the team plays well, but is also the first to go missing when the going gets tough. For instance, in a Dutch team that is performing poorly.

He should've looked at Robben or Kuyt at the national team. Guy's with work ethic who worked extra hard in the face of adversity instead of starting to whine and blame the press, the ref, his upbringing, his coach or his pet fecking pidgeon. He's so talented and that's why it's so angering to see him play.

stnrlgc

He is definitely a starter but there is no difference between him and Cornet, Bertrand Traoré is in my opinion far better than both of them.
He indeed does get a lot of starts but if all are healthy he would not be the preferred starter. Although there may not be much between him and Cornet, Depay, along with Diaz, is a much more selfish player with reports suggesting this quality is not presently being appreciated in Lyon. And yes, Traore is beyond them both.

When Fekir comes back in April I would expect Depay to drop further in the pecking order. Depay has been the beneficiary of injuries to Traore and Fekir this season. He was displaced on merit by Aouar earlier in the season...a 19 year old MF playing LW. Even in this most recent game vs OM he only got on the field because of injury. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Reactions: Penna

edcunited1878

Not defending Depay here, but if you're basing your opinion on that video, then surely we can't fix Smalling too..
I'm not basing my opinion on one video. I saw him play just about all his matches while wearing a red shirt, it was nothing special, far from it. It was a risked United could afford for a young player who had many suitors at the time and it didn't pan out. Maybe it will down the road for him, but at the time it didn't work out.

As for your comment on Smalling...he's been at United for almost 10 years. Consistently playing for Sir Alex, Moyes, LVG and Mourinho. He's a very good defender with his weaknesses and faults, but to continue slating him like he's shite is wrong and I'm happy to call you out on it.

Canagel

I said it many times before and I'll say it again. He'll be back in a top club soon. Whether that's in the PL or somewhere else remains to be seen but I think he'll have an impact like Salah if he does return to PL. The move to us came to early for him but 2/3 years from now I can see him doing great things if he keeps this level up.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I said it many times before and I'll say it again. He'll be back in a top club soon. Whether that's in the PL or somewhere else remains to be seen but I think he'll have an impact like Salah if he does return to PL. The move to us came to early for him but 2/3 years from now I can see him doing great things if he keeps this level up.
We have a buyback clause i think. If he does well again, we won't have any problems bringing him back here

DonDarmian

We have a buyback clause i think. If he does well again, we won't have any problems bringing him back here
If i remember correctly, buy-back clauses are not allowed in France. The rumor that United has one is utterly rubbish.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
nope

haram

Yeah, he is definitely not having a Salah like impact if he returns to the league.

SambaBoy

I don't think he was given enough time at United but I feel his attitude and focus also let him down. He showed glimpses of his ability but as soon as he got in a bad run of form that was it, his head would go similar to Nani. The difference with Nani at United was that he was given time by SAF while Memphis was given no time and had to contribute straight away due to us being so poor and the managers not having the stability.

LVG or Mourinho couldn't afford for Memphis to find his form, confidence and consistency. For me, there's definitely talent there and it's been proven for PSV and Lyon, he's scored some spectacular goals and put in some great performances, whether he can take the step up another level remains to be seen as I don't think his time at United was a fair barometer.

It seems a lot of youngsters are discarded too early by these big clubs and yet go on to prove themselves as good/excellent players.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd bet £100 he doesn't ever have an impact like Salah has had this season. Not even in the French league.

I actually like the lad but there's no way you can compare a speed demon with great close control to Memphis even if they can both finish.

Welbeckham

The neverending blind faith in him is laughable. Doesn't have the ability to do it in a bigger stage. He is too slow for a winger and lacks the intelligence on the pitch. I really don't think he'd be much better than the likes of Arnautovic and Shaqiri in the PL.

LLMU

It is better for him to stay where he is whether to develop his game or to get potential suitors in the future.

Brophs

The One and Only
Beyond cutting inside, there’s not a lot there.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He is a good player there is a tendency for people here to think that if a player does not make it at United or one of the elite clubs their career is a failure.

Monkers

Memphis played as a striker the last 3 games, and he's playing much better.
Lesss stupid tricks less trying to move past 4 players.
Still some stupid mistakes, but much better overall.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Memphis played as a striker the last 3 games, and he's playing much better.
Lesss stupid tricks less trying to move past 4 players.
Still some stupid mistakes, but much better overall.
Yep. I wrote when he was about to leave United, that he should find a place where he can be part of a striker duo. His movement up front is one of his biggest assets, so naturally he will do more damage from a more advanced position, where he doesn't have to take players on all the time.

Bokito

Out of the 32 Ligue 1 games OL played this season, Memphis played in 29. He made 13 goals and 14 assists in those games - meaning he was directly involved in 27 out of the total of 69 OL league goals (not only against the small clubs btw). Almost 40% - there are not that many players who achieved those stats in the league. Neymar? 33% direct goal involvement (granted, Neymar played in far fewer games). Mbappé? 22%. Cavani? 29%. Falcao? 27%. Fekir? 32%.

Or compare him with Traoré, whom several people on here rate as players with similar qualities? 8 goals and 2 assists in 24 games. Less that 15% direct goal involvement.

You might think he’s a tool for his hats, his attitude or his rap music, but solely based on the stats he’s one of the best attacking players in League 1. That does in no way guarantee anything for him being destined to play at a bigger club, in a bigger league, but it clearly shows he’s not as bad as some believe he is