MEN: Manchester United step up transfer activity after Crystal Palace defeat

GioF

I really don't understand what the aim of this is, if in fact it is a 'briefing'. Is it to highlight incompetence?

The club could have a point about twitter hysteria if talking about the types of people demanding we sign Neymar, mbappe and Davies as if its Fifa, but surely a professional football club doesn't even notice this drivel. Most critical voices have been fairly level headed, agreed on where we clearly needed depth, and can't believe that a club of this size seemed to make no real moves to address it.

And here we are, season already started, (so harder to buy) loss already in the bag and they're turning round going, 'hang on, we might need a couple of players.'

Maddening
Absolutely true. This is not about the idiots on twitter who demand we are signing all these star names at astronomical prices it’s the three/four signings that should have been made already to further complement the squad.

Reminds me of that scene in Mike Bassett England Manager where the fans are screaming next to the bus and when Mike asks what they’d do they begin to eloquently explain different formations and tactics etc.....Mike then tells them to feck off!!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The most surprising thing is people buying this article. We have been linked to CBs and leftbacks all summers, the caf was even upset about the left footed thing earlier in the summer and you are somehow buying the article telling you that since this weekend the club shifted and will now look at reinforcement in defense?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Then next summer, United fans will wants us to spend another £100m plus on players. I rather the headline read, United step up managerial search. There are teams with championship players that play more attractive football than us. Ole’s “go out and have fun” approach relies to much on individual brilliance and luck. These players need to be coached and managed to play a particular attractive system.

JPRouve

Scout
I really don't understand what the aim of this is, if in fact it is a 'briefing'. Is it to highlight incompetence?

The club could have a point about twitter hysteria if talking about the types of people demanding we sign Neymar, mbappe and Davies as if its Fifa, but surely a professional football club doesn't even notice this drivel. Most critical voices have been fairly level headed, agreed on where we clearly needed depth, and can't believe that a club of this size seemed to make no real moves to address it.

And here we are, season already started, (so harder to buy) loss already in the bag and they're turning round going, 'hang on, we might need a couple of players.'

Maddening
The problem is that numerically we have depth, it's the quality in depth that is lacking and we need to shift players who are seemingly difficult to sell since for some reason we give big contracts to average/below average players.

clarkydaz

Given we signed Fernandes sl late into last summer's window that he turned up in the middle of January, I wouldn't be getting hopes up about us "stepping up" anything yet.

It's also Ole's 2nd/3rd season so in addition we have to go through the process of Woodward deliberately not signing players because he's going to sack the manager but then not sacking the manager for another 8 months yet.
He was signed around 30th jan

Fosu-Mens

The most surprising thing is people buying this article. We have been linked to CBs and leftbacks all summers, the caf was even upset about the left footed thing earlier in the summer and you are somehow buying the article telling you that since this weekend the club shifted and will now look at reinforcement in defense?
Oh, they will panic-buy someone to appease the fans. Cannot have 10% of the world population being actively angry at the club. Sponsors would not like that.

JPRouve

Scout
Oh, they will panic-buy someone to appease the fans. Cannot have 10% of the world population being actively angry at the club. Sponsors would not like that.
Or they will simply buy some of the players that they have been struggling to purchase and been linked with since August or even earlier. Or even maybe just go for the alleged backup options that we have already been linked with.

Fosu-Mens

Or they will simply buy some of the players that they have been struggling to purchase and been linked with since August or even earlier. Or even maybe just go for the alleged backup options that we have already been linked with.
So why does it take 2 months to get the finger out? Increased complexity in the market due to Covid? Impossible to do deals? Impossible to negotiate with more than one club/player at the time?
Does it take 30 days to find out that BvB actually wants over £100m for Sancho? Is it difficult to fathom that he is not going to request a transfer and they are not going to relent on their price?

FFS I'm torn between wanting this season to go so far down the drain that the Glazers actually consider selling the club and wanting OGS to turn this around... And I think the best thing is short term pain for long term gain...

JPRouve

Scout
So why does it take 2 months to get the finger out? Increased complexity in the market due to Covid? Impossible to do deals? Impossible to negotiate with more than one club/player at the time?
Does it take 30 days to find out that BvB actually wants over £100m for Sancho? Is it difficult to fathom that he is not going to request a transfer and they are not going to relent on their price?

FFS I'm torn between wanting this season to go so far down the drain that the Glazers actually consider selling the club and wanting OGS to turn this around... And I think the best thing is short term pain for long term gain...
I don't know, you may want to ask that question to all the clubs that struggle to sign players. Why City have been allegdly struggling with Koulibaly? Why PSG have allegedly been struggling with Telles? Why Barcelona haven't purchased Memphis yet? Why Bayern needed an entire year to agree on a deal for Sané? Why it took a long time for Liverpool to purchase Thiago?

Fosu-Mens

I don't know, you may want to ask that question to all the clubs that struggle to sign players. Why City have been allegdly struggling with Koulibaly? Why PSG have allegedly been struggling with Telles? Why Barcelona haven't purchased Memphis yet? Why Bayern needed an entire year to agree on a deal for Sané? Why it took a long time for Liverpool to purchase Thiago?
I'm ok with not signing Sancho, but then we should improve other positions. And BvB has been clear about their conditions for selling Sancho. And it is not like it would be difficult to find players that would improve our first 11 or the quality of depth in the squad.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm ok with not signing Sancho, but then we should improve other positions. And BvB has been clear about their conditions for selling Sancho. And it is not like it would be difficult to find players that would improve our first 11 or the quality of depth in the squad.
It may not be hard to find them but it doesn't mean that their clubs are willing to sell them, sell them at a price that we can afford or that these players want to join us.

Fosu-Mens

It may not be hard to find them but it doesn't mean that their clubs are willing to sell them, sell them at a price that we can afford or that these players want to join us.
That I can certainly see. Not that the club can blame anyone but themselves for our problems with selling and buying players.

Pace Abuser

Why not have a strategy in place, rather than panic and flap? These should be no thing as stepping up activity. You know what you need. You plan. You execute.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
I'm ok with it as well in light of Dortumund's asking price. As we all know too well, the problem with United is that they continue to lack a consisitnet plan. If they thought the price was too high for Sancho then they needed to cut bait early and be direct with their other options, but instead we wasted time meandering back and forth with Sancho while ignoring the other obvious holes in the team, while also stirring up the fanbase and putting a dark cloud over the club at the beginning of the season. I guarantee you that if United had brought in a CB, LB and depth at RW before the season started, the fan base and club would be rip roaring and ready to go this year. Instead they continue to be wandering idicisively hoping and praying for a mythical covid discount to no avail; its all so damn predictable from them.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I wonder what would you say when we don't get Sancho by the end of the transfer window. I think something like "The club tried... but the market is difficult, we'll get him next summer" right?
We don't need exuses, we need results.
No, I'll say money don't grow on trees and grow up.

JPRouve

Scout
Your acting like its not possible for clubs to not look clumsy or competent.
No, I'm not. But since I was answering a post that already made that point, there was no reason to insist on it, my point is that there is a range of reason for a transfer to not happen quickly beyond being incompetent. Now of course we can also all concentrate on loosing our minds 24/7 without ever trying to be rational, that's also an option.

Blood Mage

Then next summer, United fans will wants us to spend another £100m plus on players. I rather the headline read, United step up managerial search. There are teams with championship players that play more attractive football than us. Ole’s “go out and have fun” approach relies to much on individual brilliance and luck. These players need to be coached and managed to play a particular attractive system.
I agree but we will still have to spend £100m next summer regardless of who our manager is by then.

Crustanoid

Besides the fact the MEN are clueless, the title is so vacuous you can’t even get excited by it ‘step up transfer activity’ what does it even mean? Hardly likely to signify multiple signings appearing tomorrow who address all our deficiencies. More likely Ed will move from completely not giving a shit about improving the team to casually mentioning transfers over coffee then going back to completely not giving a shit about them again. Hence a slight step up in transfer activity

hobbers

"United are open to signing a centre back"...

Great news. Open to signing a centre back with 2 weeks left of the window. Absolutely a sure thing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
As much as a CB would be nice an attacker is still the most important signing we could make. You can paper over the cracks with goals but with Rashford out of form and Greenwood being only 18 we are replying on a championship level player in the first 11. We are desperate for a game changer in attack. Sancho should have been that player!

Fosu-Mens

No, I'm not. But since I was answering a post that already made that point, there was no reason to insist on it, my point is that there is a range of reason for a transfer to not happen quickly beyond being incompetent. Now of course we can also all concentrate on loosing our minds 24/7 without ever trying to be rational, that's also an option.
And based on the last 7 years of how this club has conducted their transfers, would you say that there is no reason to doubt the competency/malicious reasons (as in stretch the transfers over the whole window to generate mediaclicks as a metric for shareholders and sponsors) of the people involved? Why should we look at this transfer window in isolation, when the same people has been involved(bar the manager) for the last 10-15 windows?

We are not losing our minds, just tired of this charade of a club.

Corwin

No, I'll say money don't grow on trees and grow up.
Other clubs seem to grow money on trees then. And Manchester United money is for the Glazers, not for some 'unnecessary' football transfers.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The transfer windows are repeating patterns every year. EVERY Year.
United seem to be caught by surprise by them every year. This is baffling to me.
Ferguson had his targets signed as soon as the windows were open most of the time.
This United seem to be listless all year then panic two weeks before the end of a window and recruit shit.

For the life of me I cant understand why we are not trying to make deals in the off season with the view of signing the line when the window opens.

I mean how hard is it to pick up the phone to Dortmund in June and ask how much they want for Sancho then decide from there if they are going to pay it or move on to another target, not drag a price war out all fecking summer and then sign some kid from a championship club

JPRouve

Scout
And based on the last 7 years of how this club has conducted their transfers, would you say that there is no reason to doubt the competency/malicious reasons (as in stretch the transfers over the whole window to generate mediaclicks as a metric for shareholders and sponsors) of the people involved? Why should we look at this transfer window in isolation, when the same people has been involved(bar the manager) for the last 10-15 windows?

We are not losing our minds, just tired of this charade of a club.
There are reasons to doubt the competency of the club but it has to make sense and you don't have to link it to every article. The club has been linked with defensive players way before this weekend and we even allegedly had an agreement with Telles before the weekend, we have been talking about CBs based on reports for a long time now and people were even upset about the left footed focus.
This article is basically a round-up of the last two months all talks existed before the weekend, MEN added a little spin on it and one that is actually clever because if United manage to sign players in the last two weeks of the window, they will claim that it was due to the Crystal Palace game and if we don't they will claim that it's because we tried too late, even though all the links they mentioned are old.

This article is 100% speculation with a clickbait title.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
You don't get it do you?
Ed is waiting for the last day of the window, then boom, one announcement after another, players in and out, in for peanuts, out for gold bars, Caf canne take strain, twitter breaking after every announcement. Sponzors fighting to get deals done with us, paying crazy amount of money. Don't worry he has it done dealios, just is waiting for the last day..

Then I woke up..

Fosu-Mens

There are reasons to doubt the competency of the club but it has to make sense and you don't have to link it to every article. The club has been linked with defensive players way before this weekend and we even allegedly had an agreement with Telles before the weekend, we have been talking about CBs based on reports for a long time now and people were even upset about the left footed focus.
This article is basically a round-up of the last two months all talks existed before the weekend, MEN added a little spin on it and one that is actually clever because if United manage to sign players in the last two weeks of the window, they will claim that it was due to the Crystal Palace game and if we don't they will claim that it's because we tried too late, even though all the links they mentioned are old.

This article is 100% speculation with a clickbait title.
Was not linking MUFC's assumed? incompetency to the article as MEN is not the most reliable and their articles are equivalent to a makeup video's title on youtube. So I agree with the sentiment that reacting to every negative thing about us in the press is eating out of the newspapers hands... Hence I was referring to the last 15 transfer windows and how/when transfers have been conducted (Not talking about the amount spent on players by the club which I think should have been sufficient to be competitive.)

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
If this gets us a couple of decent signings does it make Ole a mastermind?

Offsideagain

Reactive instead of proactive as usual. Woodward is only concerned with supplying the Glazers with millions in dividends. When Jim Ratcliffe, the richest man in the UK and United fan, was asked why he’s not made an offer for United, he said because they are run by amateurs and there was no structure plus the stadium had lacked investment or words to that effect. Perhaps we should sell it for houses and get the Government to build us a new one and rent it, it’s been done before.