Mendy trial thread

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Are we going to be allowed a thread to post in and follow it on? We have threads on other live murder court cases like the Rittenhouse/Arbery trials and we had ones for the 2 big civil cases this summer.

It's due to begin on Monday so thought I'd just seek clarification before making the thread.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Given the potential to compromise a UK based trial I think we usually hold such discussions until the trial is over. @Niall?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
If there needs to be one I would suggest having a locked thread with mods only posting summaries of the day's events from the BBC or other news organisations.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If there needs to be one I would suggest having a locked thread with mods only posting summaries of the day's events from the BBC or other news organisations.
That's quite logical and sensible.

mu4c_20le

Seeing as his name is now made public, what's the difference between this and the Giggs trial?

Frosty

Seeing as his name is now made public, what's the difference between this and the Giggs trial?
Broadly speaking none. Both are covered by contempt laws and this site and Niall are open to contempt proceedings if people say the wrong thing, even inadvertently.

The approach taken to Mason Greenwood should be adopted in my view.

Factual updates are fine. Given most jurors admit to googling their trials and doing research (both of which it is illegal to do) the less people say before the verdict the better.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
None. Compromising either or both is possible so we are creating read only threads for both until the trials are over.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Broadly speaking none. Both are covered by contempt laws and this site and Niall are open to contempt proceedings if people say the wrong thing, even inadvertently.

Factual updates are fine. Given most jurors admit to googling their trials and doing research (both of which it is illegal to do) the less people say before the verdict the better.
Exactly. Now done. Good idea @Frosty

kps88

Just curious, does this mean any sort of commentary/analysis on a UK based trial is not encouraged by any UK based forum/publication? The Rooney-Vardy trial seemed to be fair game on here; does the subject matter make a difference?

Frosty

Just curious, does this mean any sort of commentary/analysis on a UK based trial is not encouraged by any UK based forum/publication? The Rooney-Vardy trial seemed to be fair game on here; does the subject matter make a difference?
In short, yes.

The Vardy case was a civil case. Civil contempt generally only applies to the parties in the specific case, whereas criminal contempt applies to anyone. Criminal contempt has greater penalties, and England and Wales has very strict restrictions and rules over what can and cannot be reported on or said about a criminal case during investigation and during the trial.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
In short, yes.

The Vardy case was a civil case. Civil contempt generally only applies to the parties in the specific case, whereas criminal contempt applies to anyone. Criminal contempt has greater penalties, and England and Wales has very strict restrictions and rules over what can and cannot be reported on or said about a criminal case during investigation and during the trial.
Also, the Vardy case didn't have a jury - ruling was decided by the judge only.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In short, yes.

Good summary