Mercenaries

Mindhunter

While I am relieved at the Casemiro signing because of the criminal underinvestment in the midfield in recent years, I can't help but think of our team as a disjointed group of mercenaries.

I can't name a single starting player who is here because of his eagerness to play for the club. We have become a mercenary magnet due to our ineptitude in the market and lack of direction.

Players at top clubs who are in the last phases of their careers and whose starting places are at risk simply jump over to us for a last big handout. We don't have a core group of hungry players who play for the shirt anymore. You can only bring in so many such players till the culture is completely transformed.

We have players who do a job to get paid. We don't have players who want to excel so that they can bring glory to Man Utd. Rant Over.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's the price you pay for a lack of on-field success, disjointed transfer strategy and still trying to attract so called "world class" players. You paying a premium for their "sacrifice" essentially. It's the wrong message all over. Here's hoping we're cleaning the culture and that Casemiro really is joining because of the allure of something different/a new challenge. By all accounts, his salary is higher but nowhere near double his Madrid salary, as reported earlier. And I think it might be heavily UCL incentivised.

Skills

Snitch
All players are the same. Even the serial winner like Ronaldo isn't willing to leave his £25m a year salary on the table.

Bosws87

These statements would make sense if every new rich oil club didn't do exactly what your saying is a negative to get to the top in the first place.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
While I am relieved at the Casemiro signing because of the criminal underinvestment in the midfield in recent years, I can't help but think of our team as a disjointed group of mercenaries.

I can't name a single starting player who is here because of his eagerness to play for the club. We have become a mercenary magnet due to our ineptitude in the market and lack of direction.

Players at top clubs who are in the last phases of their careers and whose starting places are at risk simply jump over to us for a last big handout. We don't have a core group of hungry players who play for the shirt anymore. You can only bring in so many such players till the culture is completely transformed.

We have players who do a job to get paid. We don't have players who want to excel so that they can bring glory to Man Utd. Rant Over.
Which squad player is here because they are a mercenary?

Ronaldo is here because he is paying homage to Sir Alex (yes he is a big earner, go figure, he has been for a decade), Sancho always wanted to come here, Maguire rejected City to come here.

What signing have we made post Pogba/Di Maria that qualifies as "mercenary"/wage collector signings? Cavani cant be accused of not always giving all he had, Ighalo looked like a happy fan had been pulled from the stand and given a contract.

Im not disagreeing that ability is lacking, but I cant really agree that the wast majority of them are here for the money primarily. Big money contracts are a thing in football, the club offers terms that fits the structure of the club. I dont have any reason to doubt that the players who have been signed came here because they want to succeed. What has happened behind the scenes that has made that effort lackluster recently is a different topic

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
In order to be successful you almost certainly need to sign players above your (current) level whose primary motivation for coming is financial.

Sure, that can backfire. We'll be hearing about the likes of Di Maria for the rest of time, but City just unveiled a statue of one such player outside their stadium this year.

justsomebloke

Which squad player is here because they are a mercenary?

Ronaldo is here because he is paying homage to Sir Alex (yes he is a big earner, go figure, he has been for a decade), Sancho always wanted to come here, Maguire rejected City to come here.

What signing have we made post Pogba/Di Maria that qualifies as "mercenary"/wage collector signings? Cavani cant be accused of not always giving all he had, Ighalo looked like a happy fan had been pulled from the stand and given a contract.

Im not disagreeing that ability is lacking, but I cant really agree that the wast majority of them are here for the money primarily. Big money contracts are a thing in football, the club offers terms that fits the structure of the club. I dont have any reason to doubt that the players who have been signed came here because they want to succeed. What has happened behind the scenes that has made that effort lackluster recently is a different topic
I was thinking the same thing. We've obviously had a few players of that ilk in recent years (Di Maria and Sanchez most obviously), but I don't think many in the current squad fit that description. Can't think of a single one, actually.

Mindhunter

It's the price you pay for a lack of on-field success, disjointed transfer strategy and still trying to attract so called "world class" players. You paying a premium for their "sacrifice" essentially. It's the wrong message all over. Here's hoping we're cleaning the culture and that Casemiro really is joining because of the allure of something different/a new challenge. By all accounts, his salary is higher but nowhere near double his Madrid salary, as reported earlier. And I think it might be heavily UCL incentivised.
I get your point but then how is Arsenal and Spurs able to build such a core while we can't? They also haven't seen much success on the field.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At which point do you think that any professional player that is from a completely different country or continent is joining a club because he is eager to play for them? Almost all players have left or never played for a club that they are eager to play for because they are professional athletes that care about two things their own success in the game and primarily making as much money as their talent allows.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A player isn't a mercenary if they've spent 10 years at 1 club and then wants a new challenge for the last 5 years of their career.

Ibra, sure, that's mercenary. And a perfect example of why it doesn't matter and he's world class regardless. Haaland, the same.

padzilla

Hipster
I never understand why footballers who change employers are called mercenaries.

JPRouve

Scout
A player isn't a mercenary if they've spent 10 years at 1 club and then wants a new challenge for the last 5 years of their career.

Ibra, sure, that's mercenary. And a perfect example of why it doesn't matter and he's world class regardless. Haaland, the same.
Even Ibra isn't a mercenary, he largely moved for Football reasons. He wasn't lucky enough to be from a big football country and had to climb the ladders, his first money move was from Milan to PSG and it was pushed by Milan who needed money after Berlusconi stopped sugar daddying them.

People seem to completely ignore that to be a 1 or 2 club player you need to be lucky enough to be at the right place at youth level and then have an early development to top level.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think people overthink this.

City built a team full of mercenaries who went on to have massive success.

And, realisitcally, a lot of the players from our previous successful teams who fans think of as being committed to the club also arrived here because we happened to be the team willing to pay them the most money.

Professional footballers largely approach their careers professionally. They want success and they want high wages and will do their best for whatever clubs those priorities lead them to. How much they do/don't actually care about those clubs is largely something fans project onto them.

TheReligion

Abusive

Suggesting Casemiro is a mercenary before he’s even arrived..

Welcome to United Carlo :lol:

Varun

Staff
As long as we can win half the things mercenaries at City are doing, I'll take it

Abraxas

I'm not sure I would always characterise such signings as mercenaries. I think it depends on the individual characteristics of the player. You can't just throw a blanket over every 29+ player that arrives from a big club. They'll all have different motivations.

The problem with it is it is one of the hallmarks of a club that don't really have much of a vision. They're just throwing money at solutions that are meant to be ready made, but often fall short of that for various reasons, whether that be age, adjusting to the PL, motivation. Now, all signings come with risk elements, but if they're supposed to be immediate success stories it creates a different expectation.

It also creates huge financial exposure, both on the transfer fees and contracts, all of which ties down the club's limited resources. You really need them to do what they say on the tin, but in modern football they have to work alongside their teammates, they need a structure of play. For that reason I think they're better suited as a final piece of a puzzle and we shouldn't regularly be signing these aging superstars until we actually have a team that plays like one, even if it is an average team.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Actually, it's okay if you sign these types of players because it's not the hunger that makes them gave a sense of togetherness, its their on field results.

Why is it that no successful team has much mercenaries? Its because their success bought them together. You thunk aguero, yaya toure, kolo toure, etc went their for the amazing silverware opportunities primarily? NOPE.

JPRouve

Scout
Actually, it's okay if you sign these types of players because it's not the hunger that makes them gave a sense of togetherness, its their on field results.

Why is it that no successful team has much mercenaries? Its because their success bought them together. You thunk aguero, yaya toure, kolo toure, etc went their for the amazing silverware opportunities primarily? NOPE.
Because it's not a thing, there is no distinction to be made. Professional players want silverware and money, not one or the other.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Even Ibra isn't a mercenary, he largely moved for Football reasons. He wasn't lucky enough to be from a big football country and had to climb the ladders, his first money move was from Milan to PSG and it was pushed by Milan who needed money after Berlusconi stopped sugar daddying them.

People seem to completely ignore that to be a 1 or 2 club player you need to be lucky enough to be at the right place at youth level and then have an early development to top level.
Not saying Ibra moved for money, just he didn't show a particular loyalty anywhere. Juve, inter, Milan, Barca, PSG, United, back to Milan... He was constantly just moving to moving to what high profile option he felt would suit him best with football.

Id say there are very few players who move purely for the money. They tend to go to some of those obscure leagues and leave European football though. The rest you could always argue their legacy of football reasons as why they move.

JPRouve

Scout
Not saying Ibra moved for money, just he didn't show a particular loyalty anywhere. Juve, inter, Milan, Barca, PSG, United, back to Milan... He was constantly just moving to moving to what high profile option he felt would suit him best with football.

Id say there are very few players who move purely for the money. They tend to go to some of those obscure leagues and leave European football though. The rest you could always argue their legacy of football reasons as why they move.
What loyalty was he supposed to show and why?

Malmo->Ajax->Juventus: are normal step ups. He left Juventus due to calciopoli.
Inter-> Barcelona: was a swap deal that was wanted by both the player and the club.
Barcelona-> Milan: Pep wanted him out and he wanted the same for personal reasons.
Milan->PSG: Was imposed by Milan for financial reasons.
PSG: He stayed 4 seasons, left as a free agent and a beloved player.
United: He got badly injured and moved to the MLS.
Milan: He is retiring gracefully.

There is no loyalty issues in his career, all the moves make sense and a fair amount weren't his doing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Calling footballers mercenaries is a brain dead concept. I recently joined another company that doubled my pay. Am I a mercenary?

JPRouve

Scout
Calling footballers mercenaries is a brain dead concept. I recently joined another company that doubled my pay. Am I a mercenary?
You are a mercenary and a diva. :p

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
All players are the same. Even the serial winner like Ronaldo isn't willing to leave his £25m a year salary on the table.
And he is worth north of 500m. Can anyone say Ronaldo is motivated by money?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Take me out for dinner

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Mercenary - someone who comes in to do a job and be paid handsomely for a job well done.

By definition, mercenaries are there to get things done. Mercenaries are never a problem; it’s those who have no intention of fulfilling their end of the deal that are. Those are not mercenaries, however.

Lee565

In fairness it was the project sold to them along with the ambition and ruthlessness fro the club to be the best that made the player perform to their best, we have none of those factors

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Been saying for years that people somehow look at football as different to other job when in fact in some aspects that are the same. Let's say you work for mcDonald's who pay you £9/hr (yeh , I know) but you hear Burger King is hiring on £10.50/hr. Do you go if you have no objection to anything else? Yes. let's say you work for Solicitor A who pays you £70k a year and Solicitor B likes your work and offers you £80k. Do you go if everything else is to your liking? Again, yes.

Not all footballers are United fans - to some it is just another employer. It may pay a lot more than the other jobs mentioned but it's still a job, where you earn a (very good) living. To think otherwise involves muddying the water just because of what football is...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Probably because you haven’t a clue, don’t know them, and are not the mind hunter you claim to be.

youmeletsfly

You are taking the piss with these threads.

If another company will offer you as an employee quite a few more money, wouldn't you join them?

Considering the lack of success on the pitch, the well known toxicity at the club, you fecking fans should be happy that even money convince players to come to OT. Any sane player should stay well away from us.

I Am Zlatan

It’s not about playing for the club (it’s rare in modern football), it’s about the character of the players. Examples are City, Chelsea, and PSG. Look at the difference between City and PSG, City players believe in the system and Pep, also they have the discipline and character to win, then you got PSG where Neymar and Mbappe are there just for fun and to collect the crazy amount of money they’re getting paid..

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Because it's not a thing, there is no distinction to be made. Professional players want silverware and money, not one or the other.
Do you really think Casemiro is thinking he's going to be winning CLs or Premier Leagues with United anytime soon? Or will he be happy winning the league Cup?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Every footballer is a "mercenary" at the pro level. Literally playing for the pay. When is the last time a footballer said I'm going to play for free?