MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

TheReligion

Abusive
I think Real would fancy Rooney, I mean Mourinho loves him.

Christ, looking at him lining up with Ronaldo again makes me sad.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Rooney hits out at united

Thursday, 21st October 2010
PREMIER LEAGUE
FRANK DALLERES

MANCHESTER UNITED rebel Wayne Rooney has come clean over his determination to leave Old Trafford and blamed his decision on the club’s lack of ambition.

Rooney questioned United’s ability to continue to win trophies and insisted he had only refused to sign a new contract after failing to receive reassurances they would bring in world-class signings.

The England star also denied suggestions from Sir Alex Ferguson that he had failed to show the club respect, after the manager broke his silence on the conflict with his most important player on Tuesday.

Rooney’s admission paves the way for a sensational January transfer window switch to arch-rivals Manchester City, who are thought to be leading the chase.

Injured Rooney missed last night’s clash with Bursaspor and some bookmakers were offering even money that the 24-year-old had played his last game for the club.

“I met with [United chief executive] David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad,” Rooney said in a statement released just hours before the game.

“I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract. I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it.

“It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.

“I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?

“For me its all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.” Rooney, whose relationship with Ferguson is said to have deteriorated beyond repair, said he would always be grateful to the Scot.

“Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt,” he added.

“He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18. For Manchester United’s sake I wish he could go on forever because he’s a one off and a genius.”

ROONEY HITS OUT AT UNITED | City A.M.

I had heard at the end of last season where Rooney had said we needed to sign a good striker. I think the truth will only come out long after Rooney has gone.

I think the headline is a bit false. He is really hitting out at Gill and the Glazers.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
This is a player who already earns £5.2million in club wages. In addition, he makes at least £7.3million from the sale of image rights, plus more money from sponsorship, advertisements and a lucrative book deal, though it has to be said that the first volume of his autobiography was perhaps the dullest football book ever published. Its sole revelation was that he likes to be lulled into sleep by the sound of a vacuum cleaner.
:lol:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Can't say I disagree with anything he says . Lack of investment in the squad shows lack of ambition . We seem to be happy picking up freebies and untried bargains most of which are nowhere near United quality . The squad is the poorest I can remember for a long time . Although I agree with what he said I still believe he's away for more money and to get away from the British press and not the reasons he stated .

Thanks for the memories Wayne
Who exactly have we picked up that is not United quality?

Hernendez looks like a quality buy.
Bebe is still adapting to the English league
Obertan is still developing. I think he'll be a late bloomer by the looks of his physic
Smalling looks more and more like Rio Ferdinand mark 2 and somebody I really look forward to seeing develop.
Diouf is learning his trade. He needs game time and its as simple as that.
Michael Owen is a fantastic back up striker that had scored goals in nearly every other game for us when he's played.

This was the only excuse Rooney had left. Don't be fooled because he was never going to come out and say it was all for money which is the general belief everywhere.

Sir Alex hasn't replaced Scholes yet because there is no need.

Nani is quickly becoming the new Giggs in terms of contribution to the team. We don't really need more established wingers but if rumors are correct then we're looking at Alexis Sanchez who can works as a utility front man and winger.

MANU1960

Rooney's true ambition is to emulate his hero Eliot Spitzer ( ex gov of NYS, he paid almost 4k per visit from hookers)

TheReligion

Abusive
Thursday, 21st October 2010
PREMIER LEAGUE
FRANK DALLERES

MANCHESTER UNITED rebel Wayne Rooney has come clean over his determination to leave Old Trafford and blamed his decision on the club’s lack of ambition.

Rooney questioned United’s ability to continue to win trophies and insisted he had only refused to sign a new contract after failing to receive reassurances they would bring in world-class signings.

The England star also denied suggestions from Sir Alex Ferguson that he had failed to show the club respect, after the manager broke his silence on the conflict with his most important player on Tuesday.

Rooney’s admission paves the way for a sensational January transfer window switch to arch-rivals Manchester City, who are thought to be leading the chase.

Injured Rooney missed last night’s clash with Bursaspor and some bookmakers were offering even money that the 24-year-old had played his last game for the club.

“I met with [United chief executive] David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad,” Rooney said in a statement released just hours before the game.

“I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract. I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it.

“It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.

What were these assurances and what has made him think the club can no longer attract the players in the world?

“I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?

MUFC? In a statement? Sounds odd. That line sounds odd. Talking about respect, then referring to the club as that. Perhaps it is just me.

For me its all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.” Rooney, whose relationship with Ferguson is said to have deteriorated beyond repair, said he would always be grateful to the Scot.

I don't get that. Sir Alex is still at the club. That line just doesn't make sense. Or has Rooney been told Fergie is leaving at the end of the season and isn't happy with who may be coming in?

Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt,” he added.

Something strange here. Fergie says no recent difficulties, Rooney persists there is/was. Which is it and why?

“He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18. For Manchester United’s sake I wish he could go on forever because he’s a one off and a genius.”

Again, does Rooney know something we don't. Very negative closing line in my opinion. It certainly gives the impression that Rooney can't see past life at United without Fergie
I know everyone has come out and said this statement is rubbish and so on, but when you look at it, it certainly does add fuel to the fire.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Anyone able to remove the watermark? Or know where there's one available without it?

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
If anyone feels like directing their anger at someone else than Rooney.

Well no one saw that coming. When the football hacks gathered yesterday for Sir Alex Ferguson's Champions League press conference they expected the brush off. Any inquiry about Wayne Rooney they imagined would be dismissed with a curt sneer, an angry glare and the inevitable ban from future contact with the manager. Instead they got a six-minute confessional.

Fergie, calm, dignified, polite, explained with unprecedented openness precisely what was going on in Wayne's world. At times bewildered, at times disappointed, he bore the air of a father fundamentally let down by an errant offspring. It was a command performance of epic dimension. And like most great shows, it was beautifully deceptive.

Ferguson does not do anything by chance. And his pitch-perfect seizure of the moral high ground yesterday was played out across all the newspaper headlines this morning exactly as he would have wished. Until now, we were not sure who was to blame for the pain with Wayne.

Had Ferguson gambled once too often and jeopardised his legacy at United by confronting the fulcrum of his team? Surely a student of psychology as astute as he should be able to extract the best from such a talent without alienating him to the point of departure? Were the Glazers to blame for being too tight to meet his financial demands? Well, now we knew, it was none of the above: it was all the fault of Rooney and his shady advisers. Treachery was the common word in the headlines. And greed. And ungratefulness.

This is, however, thanks to Ferguson's candour, another way of looking at it. We now know Rooney wanted away as early as August 14, long before his exposure as an enthusiast for the services offered by world's oldest profession. Maybe, it is plausible to suggest, what happened then is that Rooney - far brighter than common misconception gives him credit - took a look round what was going on at Carrington and saw only the writing on the wall. No big signings had come in. Mesut Ozil and Rafael van der Vaart had gone elsewhere. The only newcomers into a squad in dire need of surgery he could see were Chris Smalling and Javier Hernandez. Plus Bebe, for God's sake.

If you want to know what worried Rooney, it is all here on paper. In the Champions League final of 2008, the red front six was Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Hargreaves, Scholes and Carrick. Tonight against Bursaspor, the front six is probably going to be Berbatov, Hernandez, Nani, Fletcher, Park and Carrick. Anyone who suggests that is a mark of progress is clearly bonkers.

From his position on the inside, Rooney saw what was happening: United, their financial priorities entirely focussed on paying off debt, were no longer able to compete at the top. Simple as that. Even to utter the phrase Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez is to send a shiver of discomfort down the spine of any United fan. This should have been the core of their team for years to come, a trio to be mentioned in the same breath as Law, Best and Charlton. By January, all three will have gone. To lose one might be considered unlucky, two careless, but three is a woeful dereliction of duty. And it is not hard to see how it happened.

Sure Rooney is greedy. Sure his advisers give new definition to the term unscrupulous. But the critique inherent in his actions is clear: in today's game where loyalty has absolutely no traction, what holds a player to his club is its ambition. Rooney saw United's had dissipated in face of the priorities of feeding the debt. He didn't want to carry an ailing, diminishing side for the next five years. He wanted to win all that is going. And clearly he felt that he wouldn't do that at United. So he kissed the badge goodbye, a very modern morality tale.

And boy how he will be missed in the stands at Old Trafford. Without the white Pele what is there left to support? Apart from someone else's growing pile of debt, that is.
Why Rooney really wants out - Yahoo! Eurosport

TheReligion

Abusive
In the Champions League final of 2008, the red front six was Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Hargreaves, Scholes and Carrick. Tonight against Bursaspor, the front six is probably going to be Berbatov, Hernandez, Nani, Fletcher, Park and Carrick. Anyone who suggests that is a mark of progress is clearly bonkers.

(about Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez) By January, all three will have gone. To lose one might be considered unlucky, two careless, but three is a woeful dereliction of duty.

Have to agree with that.

When Rooney goes, the club needs to take a long hard look at itself and either come clean to the fans about whats really going on behind the scenes, or start injecting something back into the squad.

With Scholes, Giggs and VDS to leave, we simply can't just keep bringing in "maybes" like Diouf, Obertan, Bebe etc

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yep, we need to start buying expensive players or the fans are being treated badly..We need to know damn it!!..We deserve it!!!

Spastics....Go and play your video games

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The timing of this is becoming more and more frustrating since there's not really any possible resolution for another 2+ months at least. He knew he wasn't going to sign a contract and started feeding the papers info about his contract breaking down, etc. It's extremely distracting for the rest of the team to have to deal with during the middle of the season. Sure, the players probably all knew, but now they'll be bombarded with it constantly no matter what. If we beat Stoke 20-0, the press are going to be asking "could it have been 30-0 if Rooney played? What affect did not having Rooney have on you?" and so on. The only imaginable time it would have been worse would have been in April/May during the business end of things. It seems he's taken it upon himself to make it a big deal now without any exit and for it to stay in the papers until January.

The respectable thing would have been to keep his mouth shut until after Christmas when something can be done about it. Instead, he's decided to bring it to a head in the middle of October. What kind of person does that? Paul Stretford definitely was a part of this, but Rooney has to answer for it. He has in no way shown respect to the club, the manager, or his teammates. If I were him, I wouldn't want to go to training anymore having just told the world my teammates aren't good enough for me.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It's as if all these journos have completely forgotten that unpleasant experience of wiping the egg off their faces after the last time they said we were finished.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
All the talk today has been of Wayne Rooney reportedly letting it be known that he wants to leave Manchester United, and that he is not interested in negotiating a new contract at the club.

Manchester United have let so many great players go in the past and they've coped well. It should always be the case that no one player is bigger than the club, whether that club be United or anyone else.

Wayne hasn't really helped himself. Things are against him at the moment - his confidence is low while he continues to be vilified in the press for his off-field indiscretions

But things could all turn around for him very quickly. A few decent performances and the rediscovery of his scoring form would see both him and the team benefit.

United have already dropped twice as many points from winning positions as they did for the whole of last season. Surely the Wayne Rooney of last season would have played a big part in turning some of those draws into wins.

So it does seem a bit premature to be pulling out of contract talks and demanding a move, if indeed that is what has happened.

Only a few people really know what's going on at the moment. Right now, it's good for the media to be running this story. It sells papers and gets people talking.

But talk is cheap, and is also good for the player's agent to try and gain the higher ground in negotiations over a new deal. This will end in either Rooney getting a bigger deal at Old Trafford or moving for big money. Either eventuality will mean a nice fee for his representatives.

It's sad that the result of Rooney's scandal and poor form could be that he gets a big-money move to another top European club. What kind of message does that send out about the way that football works?

He should be the one with the point to prove, and take the opportunity to show his worth again. Then, and only then, should he be rewarded by his current employers or be touting for a transfer.

No one enjoys sitting on the bench, especially at a club like United. I know for myself that to be at a club of that stature and being sat there watching your team-mates play is one of the hardest things to do.

But that should motivate you to do all you can to get back into the team, rather than simply decide to quit.

Real Madrid had been the name on everyone's lips when discussing possible destinations for Rooney, but they have now said they do not plan to sign any attackers in January, because they would find it difficult to accommodate them into their squad.

They must have looked at the possibility of signing him and decided it was a case of the right player at the wrong time.
Rooney shouldn't be rewarded for failure - Yahoo! Eurosport

Great article by Paul Parker

andualem

For me things don’t add up!

1) For me, it's all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified."

Is he insinuating that Ferguson is going at the end of the year, because if Sir Alex has always won trophies then what his beef?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
In the Champions League final of 2008, the red front six was Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Hargreaves, Scholes and Carrick. Tonight against Bursaspor, the front six is probably going to be Berbatov, Hernandez, Nani, Fletcher, Park and Carrick. Anyone who suggests that is a mark of progress is clearly bonkers.

(about Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez) By January, all three will have gone. To lose one might be considered unlucky, two careless, but three is a woeful dereliction of duty.

Have to agree with that.

When Rooney goes, the club needs to take a long hard look at itself and either come clean to the fans about whats really going on behind the scenes, or start injecting something back into the squad.

With Scholes, Giggs and VDS to leave, we simply can't just keep bringing in "maybes" like Diouf, Obertan, Bebe etc
1. Ronaldo wanted to leave to go to Madrid and always did. We kept him longer than he probably wanted to stay, but he played his heart out for the club while he was here.

2. Tevez wasn't happy playing substitute so he wanted to get more playing time and significantly more money. Once City got new owners, Kia only had his eye on one thing--getting Tevez there. So, he essentially said that Tevez wouldn't be signing for us while he negotiated a deal with City during the season. What could we have done to make him stay? He wasn't worth the money paid for him given his form that season. He scored a handful of goals and didn't do anything earth-shattering.

3. Rooney's agent gets out of his ban in February/March and a few months later, after Rooney is shit at the World Cup, gets caught shagging prostitutes while his wife is pregnant, and generally being a worthless human being, he decides he's too good for United and wants more money. He's not even considered the new contract and has his cold, black heart set on leaving. He massively disrespects the club, his manager, his teammates, and the fans. At the point of no return, what are United supposed to do? Could we have started negotiations while his agent was unable to do it for him?

Explain exactly how we were supposed to keep those three given the circumstances. Yes, there will have to be money spent, but just because City, Madrid, and Barca are FM teams doesn't mean we should be throwing insane amounts of money around each transfer window. Yes, I'd like for more to be spent and less of it on interest, but it's the shit we have to deal with.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

1) For me, it's all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified."

Is he insinuating that Ferguson is going at the end of the year, because if Sir Alex has always won trophies then what his beef?
There's not really much to pay attention to in it. It's an attempt to deflect people away from saying he's a money grabbing tosspot after Fergie's masterclass the other day. Poor one, as well, even if you believe every word the resulting conclusion is that Rooney think's he's now better than the club.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs

Didn't get that part either ? Probably thinks we should win the PL every season and at least make it to the CL final every season.

All in all, I'd say he meant that last season, with the departure of Ronaldo/Tevez, our team was weakened and it didnt' seem good enough for Wayne, he probably has a muppet side in him expecting the likes of Kaka, Benzema or any player that is a muppets dream to join us, instead we got Valencia/Obertan/Owen who Rooney says is a downgrade... Which is the soul reason on why he wants to leave.

Why doesn't he learn from Gerrard ? The likes of Joe Cole should make us a world class team again maybe ?

RedDevil [NC]

In the Mountains of NC watching United like its my
1. Ronaldo wanted to leave to go to Madrid and always did. We kept him longer than he probably wanted to stay, but he played his heart out for the club while he was here.

2. Tevez wasn't happy playing substitute so he wanted to get more playing time and significantly more money. Once City got new owners, Kia only had his eye on one thing--getting Tevez there. So, he essentially said that Tevez wouldn't be signing for us while he negotiated a deal with City during the season. What could we have done to make him stay? He wasn't worth the money paid for him given his form that season. He scored a handful of goals and didn't do anything earth-shattering.

3. Rooney's agent gets out of his ban in February/March and a few months later, after Rooney is shit at the World Cup, gets caught shagging prostitutes while his wife is pregnant, and generally being a worthless human being, he decides he's too good for United and wants more money. He's not even considered the new contract and has his cold, black heart set on leaving. He massively disrespects the club, his manager, his teammates, and the fans. At the point of no return, what are United supposed to do? Could we have started negotiations while his agent was unable to do it for him?

Explain exactly how we were supposed to keep those three given the circumstances. Yes, there will have to be money spent, but just because City, Madrid, and Barca are FM teams doesn't mean we should be throwing insane amounts of money around each transfer window. Yes, I'd like for more to be spent and less of it on interest, but it's the shit we have to deal with.
Not to get off topic but I feel that this is over looked by a lot of fans. I wish we could say the same about Wayne but he is certainly not professional enough

MUFC07

He can feck off. I'm really gutted. I stood by the guy, I really thought he was worth it, and that he would be forever a red. Look at Totti you fecking scumbag!

Hope he never pulls the shirt again. I'd rather have one with half the talent that actually wants to play for such a big team. I'd like him to know how priviledged he was to play for us. Go to Madrid, Wayne, you deserve them.

RedDevil [NC]

In the Mountains of NC watching United like its my
He can feck off. I'm really gutted. I stood by the guy, I really thought he was worth it, and that he would be forever a red. Look at Totti you fecking scumbag!

Hope he never pulls the shirt again. I'd rather have one with half the talent that actually wants to play for such a big team. I'd like him to know how priviledged he was to play for us. Go to Madrid, Wayne, you deserve them.
I feel the same way! He isnt worthy of wearing the badge on his chest.

MUFC07

I feel the same way! He isnt worthy of wearing the badge on his chest.
Indeed! He can't possibly know the hard work that many of the people that go to OT have to do in order to pay for a ticket, let alone to save for a long time to travel to get to the place itself, or even buy your shirt with your hero's name printed on the back! Like many of us. Shame on him.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
That's when Fergie meets with Gill to discuss it, isn't it? Wouldn't be expecting an announcement then, anyway.

It is curious to think how it can be "put to bed" tomorrow. Bizarre state of affairs to be hoping to sell Rooney to Real, but that's where I am right now.
Stan Collymore [who cant' stop reminding all who listen that he was the first to break the story at the weekend] said in a post-match discussion last night, that he was hearing rumours suggesting Rooney is to be in effect, permanently dropped from the team as of tomorrow. Or at least put on notice of that in a sort of official fashion.

He'll train with the reserves or youth team or some such. Hypothetically, i'm sure McClair and or Ole would be just thrilled at being sent the banished one. ;)

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Flog him to the highest bidder, the Glazers should surely realise the money needs to be re-invested into the squad. Give Ferguson the money (and should City buy him it would be a King's ransom) and watch him revivalist United's squad.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He will have to be sold. There's no way the Glazers will let SAF make a point when there's cold, hard cash on the table. That being said, isn't he able to buy out his contract soon for a few million? If I were looking to buy I'd just tell him to wait and give him a huge signing on fee instead of paying 30 million in January.

VoetbalWizard

Gill must have told Rooney that Moyes is going to succeed Fergie. Rooney bolted.
in all seriousness I wonder what will happen to players like vidic and nani since they might be under contract when fergie decides to retire. Will they say feck it, and try to leave or give a new gaffer a chance? I wonder if any of the players really would put in a transfer request when fergie leaves.

This is different from other clubs where manages get chopped and changed. Ferguson is all any of these players know.