Messi at the World Cup - No Ronaldo comparisons!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've never really warmed to the brilliant little Argentine all these years, probably out of being slightly butthurt by the two spankings received us from his Barca side. And now in a sense, I feel like I haven't really enjoyed his talent the way I should have. I mean, the guy has been simply ridiculous over the last 6 or so years. It's like someone edited a player on FIFA and boosted his stats to maximum just to take the piss. It's so rare that in any sport you see someone so obviously and clearly on a different level altogether from everyone around him.

And there's definitely been a decline of late. He runs in shorter bursts, he sometimes doesn't run much at all and generally really there's a lack of spark to his game. Whereas earlier you simply could not get the ball off him, and he would do ridiculous split second things throughout a game, now defenders are getting a knick on the ball and other times being able to crowd him out.

Hence, I'm beginning to want Argentina to do well this World Cup because for a player of Messi's greatness and achievements to not have succeeded at the world stage, would be a real shame.

So this a thread to keep an eye on a player rated by many as he greatest ever on possibly the World Cup at his absolute prime age for whom this will definitely mean something when it comes to his legacy.

sammyvine

I've never really warmed to the brilliant little Argentine all these years, probably out of being slightly butthurt by the two spankings received us from his Barca side. And now in a sense, I feel like I haven't really enjoyed his talent the way I should have. I mean, the guy has been simply ridiculous over the last 6 or so years. It's like someone edited a player on FIFA and boosted his stats to maximum just to take the piss. It's so rare that in any sport you see someone so obviously and clearly on a different level altogether from everyone around him.

And there's definitely been a decline of late. He runs in shorter bursts, he sometimes doesn't run much at all and generally really there's a lack of spark to his game. Whereas earlier you simply could not get the ball off him, and he would do ridiculous split second things throughout a game, now defenders are getting a knick on the ball and other times being able to crowd him out.

Hence, I'm beginning to want Argentina to do well this World Cup because for a player of Messi's greatness and achievements to not have succeeded at the world stage, would be a real shame.

So this a thread to keep an eye on a player rated by many as he greatest ever on possibly the World Cup at his absolute prime age for whom this will definitely mean something when it comes to his legacy.
Why you wouldn't warm to a player as brilliant as him baffles me....

I don't get this, because he scored against us and won his team the cup i should dislike player X

sammyvine

Anyway the argentina team will struggle against the proper teams imo. Doesn't matter how well Messi plays. Their defence and midfield are not good enough against the likes of Spain and Germany.

Reactions: Eboue

amolbhatia50k

Why you wouldn't warm to a player as brilliant as him baffles me....

I don't get this, because he scored against us and won his team the cup i should dislike player X
This thread isn't about that. But it happens. I'm not saying I was right.

amolbhatia50k

Anyway the argentina team will struggle against the proper teams imo. Doesn't matter how well Messi plays. Their defence and midfield are not good enough against the likes of Spain and Germany.
He can still make a big impact (unlike last time) which is what's important.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just scored a goal, but before that seemed like has stomach problems once again.

sammyvine

He can still make a big impact (unlike last time) which is what's important.
Yup

His 'poor' performances for Argentina have been vastly hash. He has been good just as goal crazy as he is for barcelona.
He should have a good world cup though imo.

amolbhatia50k

If you get promoted, by brain is going explode with the confusion between sammymc, sammysky and sammyvine.

ea385

Their defence and midfield are ridiculously underrated. Garay is very good and Zabaleta is possibly the best right back in the world. The midfield is also more than good enough and this time they have a decent manager - Sabella might not be brilliant but isn't completely out of his mind. They will be set up well. Brazil and Spain will be the biggest obstacles, the Germans are nothing special.

amolbhatia50k

Looking through their squad, there's a lot of names I haven't seen much of, but it looks better than I expected. The attack is obviously ridiculous with messi, aguero and higuain and lavezzi. But they also have two first choice defenders from the English champions and Di Maria possibly as one of the most impressive attacking midfielders of a midfield trio this season. If the rest are decent enough, that's quite a good squad.

Banana007

I think he and Argentina will surprise a few people.

They have a easy group, which should mean them getting confidence and Messi getting a few goals, and with Messi in their times they can make the final and win it.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
They haven't conceded in over 500 mins, and averaged less than goal-per-game during the qualification. Not too bad!
Just counting the better names:

Defence - Federico Fernandez, Garay, Zabaleta, Rojo, Hugo Campagnaro, Martin Demichelis.
Midfield - Gago, Mascherano, Di Maria, Ricardo Alvarez, Enzo Perez
Attack - They may have to leave players like Lavezzi, Palacio or even Higuain in bench sometime.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I think he and Argentina will surprise a few people.

They have a easy group, which should mean them getting confidence and Messi getting a few goals, and with Messi in their times they can make the final and win it.
Don't think it'll be a surprise if they do well - Argentina are second favourites to win it and Messi is favourite for the golden boot.

Banana007

They have the most in-form player in the World at the minute in Di Maria.

Garay was linked to United, so he has to be decent.

Higuain is a finisher in the mold of Van Nistelrooy, you back him one-vs-one.

Aguero is the best striker in the league.

Not sure if their goalkeeper is any good, might let them down.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
They have the most in-form player in the World at the minute in Di Maria.

Garay was linked to United, so he has to be decent.

Higuain is a finisher in the mold of Van Nistelrooy, you back him one-vs-one.

Aguero is the best striker in the league.

All I know is they play him rather than Willy Caballero, so he must be great (or something).

Bole Top

I want him to win everything and I don't think I've ever felt something similar for any player outside United. it's just different with him and I could probably say the same about the rest of Barcelona, but I can't really explain why. obviously, I was very disappointed after our "first" loss against them, but that 3-1 loss was much easier to swallow, purely because I think most of us knew we were facing possibly the best team ever with possibly the best player ever. along with the pain, there was a certain dose of admiration and respect I could never show to the likes of Chelsea, City or Madrid if they were the ones who beat us in those finals. we were Andy Roddick, they were Roger Federer and that's it.

Malva

Sergio Romero is shit. Great shotstopper, absolute imbecile at everything else. it's amazing he still starts, especially ahead of a top class keeper like caballero or even someone like saja. instead, neither are even in the squad, and this donkey remains the number 1.

think valdes when he was young, and make that image in your head 3 times more calamitous.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I think he's going to have a great tournament, was immense again in just a half hour of play. Visibly pacing himself and not pushing too hard, looks very motivated

Cal?

CR7 fan
There's no doubt there will be a big argument about him regardless of how far Argentina go (unless they win it). Some will claim he's the bestest player in the WC and others will claim he bottled it again...

Banana007

There's no doubt there will be a big argument about him regardless of how far Argentina go (unless they win it). Some will claim he's the bestest player in the WC and others will claim he bottled it again...
Basically he can't win for some people.

They will always have arguments against him. And that's fair enough but for most modern football fans, he is the best they have seen the best player of his generation and that's what counts.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Basically he can't win for some people.

They will always have arguments against him. And that's fair enough but for most modern football fans, he is the best they have seen the best player of his generation and that's what counts.
Or he can do no wrong for some people.

There was someone who claimed that he was "by far the best player at WC 2010". :lol:

He's not the best I've been in his generation.

Banana007

Or he can do no wrong for some people.

There was someone who claimed that he was "by far the best player at WC 2010". :lol:

He's not the best I've been in his generation.
Who is the best you've seen if you don't mind me asking?

He wasn't the best at World Cup 2010 but he wasn't as bad as some make out either, it seems 2 extremes..

Cal?

CR7 fan
Who is the best you've seen if you don't mind me asking?

He wasn't the best at World Cup 2010 but he wasn't as bad as some make out either, it seems 2 extremes..
I've said for years that Ronaldo is better.

I agree with your 2nd line, but the point is that some people will try to paint him as being the best regardless of what actually happens.

sammyvine

I've said for years that Ronaldo is better.

I agree with your 2nd line, but the point is that some people will try to paint him as being the best regardless of what actually happens.
Thats what its like with fans though. People will stick up for their favourite player no natter what.

Messi is not the first nor will he be the last.

How can you not get that especially when you do the same thing with Ronaldo?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Thats what its like with fans though. People will stick up for their favourite player no natter what.

Messi is not the first nor will he be the last.

How can you not get that especially when you do the same thing with Ronaldo?
I've never tried to claim that Ronaldo was the best player at WC2010.

sammyvine

I've never tried to claim that Ronaldo was the best player at WC2010.
Well people who did that with Messi are obviously in denial because he clearly wasn't the best player in the world cup 2010.

Clearly my point was fans will say anything to back their fav player.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You're already wet at the thought of criticising Messi for not winning the WC? Jesus.

sammyvine

You're already wet at the thought of criticising Messi for not winning the WC? Jesus.
more like bizarre

how can you dislike a player that much...also its not like he's controversial like suarez

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Excellent demonstration of Messi-fanboism.
This from a guy who proclaimed that Ronaldo didnt celebrate Bale's goal because he wanted to win the CL final, even though he did little to actually win the game :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Actually you'd find I tipped him for topscorer.
Yup, of the two of us I am clearly the one who is a fanboy.
The difference is I disagree but I can respect people having the view Messi is best, yet Messi fanbois resort to name calling whenever people disagree with their view.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This from a guy who proclaimed that Ronaldo didnt celebrate Bale's goal because he wanted to win the CL final, even though he did little to actually win the game :lol:
I said that about the Ramos goal, at a time when they were drawing the game.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I said that about the Ramos goal, at a time when they were drawing the game.
Beg your pardon, the Ramos goal. Point still stands, he was the only one who didn't celebrate because he wanted to win the game, even though he had a stinker and had one of the smallest contributions to winning the game.

T.banty10

Beg your pardon, the Ramos goal. Point still stands, he was the only one who didn't celebrate because he wanted to win the game, even though he had a stinker and had one of the smallest contributions to winning the game.
He didn't have a stinker though, he just wasn't influential, which is understandable because he was unfit.
If we were to talk of a player who had a stinker in the final, then it was Bale.

Cal?

CR7 fan
He wasn't as good as his usual self, but hardly had a stinker.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Doesn't matter how well Messi plays.
Disagree with you on this, I think Messi is good enough to drag Argentina through this tournament If he is on the top of his game, they can go all the way and win it.