g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Messi in Miami

Zen

Can't beat the old "flexible" pricing ticketing system. We're still spoilt in European Football... but it can't be long until it follows suit and they start jacking up single game tickets for direct sales. I seriously hope not.

JB7

For 200+ USD
Look, the mid-season price increase is frankly disgusting but given the attention that has been on the move you would think they'd get more than two sell-outs in a row. Particularly against a local rival.

luke511

Look again. You can pick up tickets in almost every block along both sides direct from the club.
I can't imagine the tickets for this fixture have been available for very long. Orlando qualified on Sunday.

JB7

I can't imagine the tickets for this fixture have been available for very long. Orlando qualified on Sunday.
Saturday night, and they're the only group winners to be given an away game in the following round but that's another gripe for another day.

Tickets have been on sale for a few days, I just thought that sales would be going better given the supposed interest in Fort Laurderdale and the game being tomorrow night.

luke511

Saturday night, and they're the only group winners to be given an away game in the following round but that's another gripe for another day.

Tickets have been on sale for a few days, I just thought that sales would be going better given the supposed interest in Fort Laurderdale and the game being tomorrow night.
Sorry yeah, Sunday in Europe ;)

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Game is back at 1-1, but no one cares. Just here to watch Messi. The overall play is appalling again.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
The referee must not want his job, he just booked the GOAT. Orlando putting three players on Messi at all times, it’s pretty funny.

Ted Lasso

Scores 6 minutes into his second match. Too easy.
I'm not understanding all the degrading of the MLS. We're talking about the greatest player in the history of the game that just outclassed the very elite of football as recently as this past winter in the World Cup and has been embarrassing the best of the best for over a decade.

Did anyone really think he'd struggle in the MLS?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I'm not understanding all the degrading of the MLS. We're talking about the greatest player in the history of the game that just outclassed the very elite of football as recently as this past winter in the World Cup and has been embarrassing the best of the best for over a decade.

Did anyone really think he'd struggle in the MLS?
I wasn’t degrading the MLS by saying it was too easy. I’ve been saying that most of his career,

If you’re looking for degrading of the MLS just look for my next post where I said the quality was appalling.

JB7

The referee must not want his job, he just booked the GOAT. Orlando putting three players on Messi at all times, it’s pretty funny.
Weird take, given it was a clear yellow card and he’s been double or triple marked at the highest level for years, why would MLS teams not do similar? Should they just ignore the oppositions best player?

JB7

This ref is an absolute fecking joke.

EDIT - thought the first half was bad, he’s outdone himself in the first 5 minutes of the second half. On the payroll.

Last edited:

Melvin Udall

This ref is an absolute fecking joke.

EDIT - thought the first half was bad, he’s outdone himself in the first 5 minutes of the second half. On the payroll.
He’s awful. He reffed the US-Mexico nations league game back in June that led to 2 red cards for both teams. And it was entirely down to his mismanagement of the game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
These commentators are ridiculous, as if it's some amazing and shocking impact ... Of course Messi would piss on the league. Busquets and Alba were starters for Barcelona last season too. There is 0 doubt that these 3 transfers instantly turn them into the best team in the league, no need to start crediting the manager as if he did anything here

Melvin Udall

These commentators are ridiculous, as if it's some amazing and shocking impact ... Of course Messi would piss on the league. Busquets and Alba were starters for Barcelona last season too. There is 0 doubt that these 3 transfers instantly turn them into the best team in the league, no need to start crediting the manager as if he did anything here
I mostly agree, but Martino is a huge upgrade over Neville though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mostly agree, but Martino is a huge upgrade over Neville though.
For sure, but like... You added Messi without even looking at Busquets and Alba to the MLS. It's not even useful looking at the manager at that point.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I thought he already had that record for a couple of years now or something?

Edit: ah its a parody account. Honestly didnt know that.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The funny thing is, he's not even playing that well and still they are all in complete awe. The first match has probably been his best. But this one in particular, he got his goals through clever movement and good finishing. But he hasn't even shown his trademark dribbles and passes that much.

Gehrman

The funny thing is, he's not even playing that well and still they are all in complete awe. The first match has probably been his best. But this one in particular, he got his goals through clever movement and good finishing. But he hasn't even shown his trademark dribbles and passes that much.
Perhaps he's getting a bit too old to show off his trademark dribbling? Or he is just warming up for it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Perhaps he's getting a bit too old to show off his trademark dribbling? Or he is just warming up for it.
He still dribbled a lot for PSG and Argentina so I expect he'll do so in the MLS :) thought he didn't really look sharp at all against Orlando. Many intercepted passes

luke511

He still dribbled a lot for PSG and Argentina so I expect he'll do so in the MLS :) thought he didn't really look sharp at all against Orlando. Many intercepted passes
The hour and half delay combined with the humid, wet weather probably made it a bit more challenging to pass and dribble as smoothly as normal. I also think I heard the commentator mention the game vs Atlanta had an air conditioned stadium, unlike last nights. He still bagged two so he was sharp enough :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s just fun watching him absolutely tear it up.

50 goals target?
100?

Let him enjoy his semi retirement and bring a bit of joy to MLS.

JB7

Why would he need to show anything at all when he's allowed to referee the game himself? The game last night was a farce, there isn't any point the other sides playing in the Leagues Cup if it's already been decided that Fort Lauderdale are going to win it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Why would he need to show anything at all when he's allowed to referee the game himself? The game last night was a farce, there isn't any point the other sides playing in the Leagues Cup if it's already been decided that Fort Lauderdale are going to win it.
I didn't see the game, only a compilation of Messi's touches. And to be honest, I only watch for the spectacle, I don't care that much about the competition ;)

Gehrman

It’s just fun watching him absolutely tear it up.

50 goals target?
100?

Let him enjoy his semi retirement and bring a bit of joy to MLS.
I mostly fun to watch him enjoy himself and the fans loving it.

Gehrman

Did he handball a ball again and then give his marker a red?

Dazzmondo

The defending in this league really is dogshit. The amount of space they give Messi is insane. Messi's obviously been amazing as you'd expect playing against these amateurs. He could legit end up with close to 100 goals/assists in a full season. He's not even being selfish, he's creating chances for others too. Ridiculous.

I didn't actually realise how terrible the MLS was until I started watching highlights of the games Messi played. Literally worse than non-league

Last edited:

Gehrman

The defending in this league really is dogshit. The amount of space they give Messi is insane. Messi's obviously been amazing as you'd expect playing against these amateurs. He could legit end up with close to 100 goals/assists in a full season. He's not even being selfish, he's creating chances for others too. Ridiculous.

I didn't actually realise how terrible the MLS was until I started watching highlights of the games Messi played. Literally worse than non-league
He technically hasn't played a game in the MLS yet.

Dazzmondo

He technically hasn't played a game in the MLS yet.
Whatever, Cruz Azul was the only team that didn't look completely pathetic from the highlights. I don't even know how these teams qualified for whatever the cup is called. Regardless, I doubt the quality of the other MLS teams will be much better.

Seeing that Orlando and Atlanta are both in the top half of the table, if anything he'll probably make other teams look even worse.

Ladron de redcafe

I thought he already had that record for a couple of years now or something?

Edit: ah its a parody account. Honestly didnt know that.
Yeah he has that record on lock. 1170 goals + assists. I don't really see that being broken any time soon.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think he's declined even more after the WC victory. Probably lost a good amount of motivation after securing his ultimate goal.

I actually think he moved to MLS at the right time.

cafecillos

Yeah he has that record on lock. 1170 goals + assists. I don't really see that being broken any time soon.
It's going to take some beating. It's not just that the numbers on many individual years/seasons were absolutely insane, he also had incredible consistency and great longevity and durability (after the first couple of seasons).

Anustart89

They are really going all out with the promotional stuff over there

Nothings ever going to beat Ronnie's hideous statue and the one where he has a boner.
Anyone remember Pablo Francisco's stand-up? I'm getting huge "One man, one desire" vibes from the voiceover :lol: