Messi in Miami

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Can someone describe the pass please?
Back to goal, about 15 yards out and to the left of the goal, receives a very brisk pass from Alba, kills it dead, goes to twist away from goal, but doesn’t, cuts back inside onto his unfavoured right. Between him and the goal are about 5 NY players, and on the outside right Cremaschi is doing an overlap. Messi flicks a pass through the three defenders crowding him and inside the fullback to the onrushing player, who squared it back for him to tap in.

But it’s hard to describe. The angle was almost mathematically impossible, the space tight, he had to thread it through five players and across the penalty area from left to right with the outside of his foot with perfect weighting so it didn’t go out of play, but fast enough it couldn’t be intercepted.

It was so good, I don’t think another person in the stadium saw the pass was even on.

Hoof the ball

Back to goal, about 15 yards out and to the left of the goal, receives a very brisk pass from Alba, kills it dead, goes to twist away from goal, but doesn’t, cuts back inside onto his unfavoured right. Between him and the goal are about 5 NY players, and on the outside right Cremaschi is doing an overlap. Messi flicks a pass through the three defenders crowding him and inside the fullback to the onrushing player, who squared it back for him to tap in.

But it’s hard to describe. The angle was almost mathematically impossible, the space tight, he had to thread it through five players and across the penalty area from left to right with the outside of his foot with perfect weighting so it didn’t go out of play, but fast enough it couldn’t be intercepted.

It was so good, I don’t think another person in the stadium saw the pass was even on.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Who did the overhead flick back to Messi? That literally kept the play going.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Amazing goal, but god damn those MLS defenses are next level shit.

Alba, Messi and Busquest are gonna have destroy MLS like never seen before.

MLS players might be even afraid of fouling a superstar that level cause their own home fans might hate them for injuring any of the Barcelona trio :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

MLS players might be even afraid of fouling a superstar that level cause their own home fans might hate them for injuring any of the Barcelona trio :lol:
Defending on that goal was fine. They were all positioned well. It’s hard to account for such absurd passes.

Ted Lasso

Jordi Alba
people really aren’t shy with the hyperbole huh?

Defending on that goal was fine. They were all positioned well. It’s hard to account for such absurd passes.
Great goal but let's be honest, this is just a classic Barcelona move...and part of why that team was incredible. No defense in the world could stop some of their plays. You've now got three of the starters from that Barcelona's greatest ever team just doing what they're used to doing for like a decade...in the MLS..

Busquets > Alba > Messi > stand-in > Messi > Goal

mav_9me

Great goal but let's be honest, this is just a classic Barcelona move...and part of why that team was incredible. No defense in the world could stop some of their plays. You've now got three of the starters from that Barcelona's greatest ever team just doing what they're used to doing for like a decade...in the MLS..

While you're not wrong, that pass by messi is just unbelievable. Call it hyperbole but I just can't believe it. To see it, then execute it with that precision... no words

VP

It still amazes me that there are people who don't believe he's the greatest player of our generation.

amolbhatia50k

Who isn’t being honest? It’s just an incredible pass to pull off regardless of who is around him - which isn’t great anyway. This goes back to the whole it’s so easy with Xavi Iniesta nonsense from back in the day.

galwayfa

Even watching it, hard how sees that pass, his brain is in stands and body playing it, it was an unbelievable pass/vision

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Poor Alba, that was a great touch but Messi immediately upstages him with that unbelievable pass.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi gonna catapult Miami to one of the most followed or supported club in US

Boy they love their underdog story, a last in the table team, a savior GOAT, crawling the table one at a time, injury time winner
Why on earth keep him on the bench for so long? He's the vocal point of the club now

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Alba wasn't part of the greatest ever Barcelona team.

The greatest Barcelona team was the Pep team from 2008-2012. The full backs were Dani Alves and Eric Abidal. Alba joined after Pep left.

Ted Lasso

Who isn’t being honest? It’s just an incredible pass to pull off regardless of who is around him - which isn’t great anyway. This goes back to the whole it’s so easy with Xavi Iniesta nonsense from back in the day.
What was the commentary around Xavi and Iniesta then exactly?

Ted Lasso

Alba wasn't part of the greatest ever Barcelona team.

The greatest Barcelona team was the Pep team from 2008-2012. The full backs were Dani Alves and Eric Abidal. Alba joined after Pep left.
Ah! Good catch. Point in general stands for me still - Miami are transformed by Messi, no shock there, but having a core spine of world class talent that played club football together for years is also quite the coup for Miami and the MLS.

Sara125

This guy needs a Guinness world record or something for longest running science experiment. What HUMAN has the vision to play that pass?!?

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t think it is hyperbole to say no one else could have seen that pass in that situation.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
People are SO over the top with Messi, I gonna tell you...

I've seen Ozil doing passes like that on a weekly basis for Arsenal, but I've never seen this exaggerated reaction. Calm down, guy

Gehrman

I've seen Ozil doing passes like that on a weekly basis for Arsenal, but I've never seen this exaggerated reaction. Calm down, guy
I think that was a classy pass but i dont understand the hyperbole over that one particular. It was not "alien", Messi is a 10/10 passer and sometimes transcends ratings in passing quality but M. Laudrup is my GOAT for passing even though Messi is sublime.

Last edited:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Hmm, of course it is a bit of guess work but just the way he is positioned and the surrounded I can only see him pulling that off. I’d say any other player either shoots or dribbles. Messi has this innate ability to always find the perfect solution.

Then again I consider him to be the best player ever. And to be the best dribbler/passer, best vision etc. So I might be biased. Glad he fecked off though, was sick of him giving us a pounding for so many years.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Leave those things, what's up with a certain section of internet calling everything Messi doing rigged.

I saw a dedicated twitter thread where someone was trying to explain that Messi didn't deserve a single of his Ballon Dor :lol:.

Their alternatives were:

2009: Xavi
2010: Sneijder
2011: Xavi
2012: Iniesta
2015: Neymar
2019: Van Dijk
2021: Lewandowski

And ofcourse that group didn't forget to mention that 2018 Ballon Dor belonged to certain player who is hated and bullied by media and FIFA.

Gehrman

Leave those things, what's up with a certain section of internet calling everything Messi doing rigged.

I saw a dedicated twitter thread where someone was trying to explain that Messi didn't deserve a single of his Ballon Dor :lol:.

Their alternatives were:

2009: Xavi
2010: Sneijder
2011: Xavi
2012: Iniesta
2015: Neymar
2019: Van Dijk
2021: Lewandowski

And ofcourse that group didn't forget to mention that 2018 Ballon Dor belonged to certain player who is hated and bullied by media and FIFA.
Its because they jelly

heraklion

Ozil is not Messi, of course, there is gonna be a hype and deservedly for every great thing the GOAT does.. especially when he is writing another interesting story in MLS.. The whole football world follows him wherever he goes..

Also, that pass was an amazing one, deserves all the hype..

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

If Ozil could play passes like that on a weekly basis he’d never have been allowed to leave Madrid for Arsenal. Great passer but your claim is more exaggerated than any here.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I think that was a classy pass but i dont understand the hyperbole over that one particular. It was not "alien", Messi is a 10/10 passer and sometimes transcends ratings in passing quality but M. Laudrup is my GOAT for passing even though Messi is sublime.
I can recall seeing some passes from Veron that were beyond my imagination. I never got to see prime Laudrup.