Messi in Miami

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
A fatboy coldly holds up cr7 shirt to Messi's grandpar.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why are people like this? It always seems like it's Cristiano fans too

RedDevilQuebecois

Inter Miami played against a team of local stars in Hong Kong today. The fact that Messi did not even come of the bench for at least a few minutes got a big chunk of the 40,000+ crowd screaming for a refund.

CNN even ran the story on it here. It's a PR disaster for Miami and the MLS, especially when people had to pay between 880 and 4,880 Hong Kong dollars (about $113 and $624) when tickets went on sale in December (Reuters). That should be a stark warning to matchgoers in the MLS as we know ticket prices went ridiculously up for the upcoming season.

Golden Nugget

Inter Miami played against a team of local stars in Hong Kong today. The fact that Messi did not even come of the bench for at least a few minutes got a big chunk of the 40,000+ crowd screaming for a refund.

CNN even ran the story on it here. It's a PR disaster for Miami and the MLS, especially when people had to pay between 880 and 4,880 Hong Kong dollars (about $113 and $624) when tickets went on sale in December (Reuters). That should be a stark warning to matchgoers in the MLS as we know ticket prices went ridiculously up for the upcoming season.
I’m in HK and already laughed at the ticket prices when they came out - they were ridiculous for a friendly for an a no name team from the US. It became weirder and weirder that the organizers turned it into a show, having different singer perform before the game and having it all hyped up.

There’s another friendly next week, where there’s a bunch of retired players coming to play, like Rivaldo, Puyol, Del Piero, Totti etc.

Yes, they’re old and retired, but the ticket prices for that are $23 to $125 USD, which priced much more fairly

RedDevilQuebecois

I’m in HK and already laughed at the ticket prices when they came out - they were ridiculous for a friendly for an a no name team from the US. It became weirder and weirder that the organizers turned it into a show, having different singer perform before the game and having it all hyped up.

There’s another friendly next week, where there’s a bunch of retired players coming to play, like Rivaldo, Puyol, Del Piero, Totti etc.

Yes, they’re old and retired, but the ticket prices for that are $23 to $125 USD, which priced much more fairly
I know. As soon as I went through the details in the CNN article and as reported by Reuters, I saw more than enough to get any football fan feel livid about this whole shitshow. The stuff that also has been said about ticket pricing hikes for all Miami matches across the MLS was already ridiculous in itself, but the combination of all of those elements ahead of the upcoming season could spell a lot of trouble if Messi bails out or gets injured. How long do you think supporters groups across North America will tolerate that? Not for long, I say. Also the last thing the MLS needs right now is to lure the prawn sandwich brigade inside stadiums at the expense of the hardcore, blue-collared supporters.

That match with the retired players is something I would have loved to attend. At least, we know what to expect, it is definitely far more affordable and it also probably is for a good charity cause.

Golden Nugget

I know. As soon as I went through the details in the CNN article and as reported by Reuters, I saw more than enough to get any football fan feel livid about this whole shitshow. The stuff that also has been said about ticket pricing hikes for all Miami matches across the MLS was already ridiculous in itself, but the combination of all of those elements ahead of the upcoming season could spell a lot of trouble if Messi bails out or gets injured. How long do you think supporters groups across North America will tolerate that? Not for long, I say. Also the last thing the MLS needs right now is to lure the prawn sandwich brigade inside stadiums at the expense of the hardcore, blue-collared supporters.

That match with the retired players is something I would have loved to attend. At least, we know what to expect, it is definitely far more affordable and it also probably is for a good charity cause.
Yep, especially when I keep reading that they knew he was injured well before, but kept quiet about it - and until now, no one has apologised it - unlike Ronaldo.

I’m not going to that legends one, but went to another one a few weeks back, where it was Scholes XI vs Owen XI, which I paid around $50 USD for. Again, much more reasonably priced, and whilst the names weren’t as attractive as the one I mentioned before, it still had the likes of Figo, Pires, Gilberto Silva, Brown, Owen, Fowler, Mcmanaman etc.

Scholes pulled out a week before due to sickness - but the organizers at least made an effort, in replacing him with Giggs.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It’s really a PR disaster, the Chinese and HK people have strongly felt scammed and have now developed strong hate against Messi and even Beckham. They are flooding their instagram account with hatred comments. The fact that Messi didn’t even bothered to take any photos or wave his hands and refused give any speech to thank his fans after his no show has really angered the locals.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well. Somebody has to pay for his multimillion wage. If it's not the owner forking out their money, it's from leeching off the sponsors and his fans.

JogaBonitoRooney

Oh look at the Ronaldostans waiting for their moment to pounce. Their own hero did the exact same thing just a few days again in China.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Oh look at the Ronaldostans waiting for their moment to pounce. Their own hero did the exact same thing just a few days again in China.
Nah comparing to Ronaldo situation, he did actually publicly apologized to the fans after his no show and refunded all the tickets and even hotel accomodation fees to the fans who have traveled long way to watch him play, it’s really no brainer move as the market is huge over there. As for Messi case it’s total PR disaster, not only the local fans are angry, the local goverment has even came out publicly to express their disappointment and demand apology from Messi and Miami.

Pronewbie

Peep
Nah comparing to Ronaldo situation, he did actually publicly apologized to the fans after his no show and refunded all the tickets and even hotel accomodation fees to the fans who have traveled long way to watch him play, it’s really no brainer move as the market is huge over there. As for Messi case it’s total PR disaster, not only the local fans are angry, the local goverment has even came out publicly to express their disappointment and demand apology from Messi and Miami.
Yeah the difference is stark. It was such a deliberate and dirty move. I believe a refund is the only way forward. Same as in S.Korea few years ago and recently in China (for Ronaldo). And I'm speaking as a football fan.

JogaBonitoRooney

Ronaldo didn't refund anything out of his own pay. The tour organisers did aka the Saudis - https://english.news.cn/20240123/5bfae529917045baad4769914075ba80/c.html . A public apology is easier to do if the organisers agree to a refund.

Keep trying to push that Ronaldo is a saint narrative.

This all depends on whether Inter Miami organisers / Beckham will refund, not Messi's decision. Also for the HK game the attendees all seem to be people who live in HK area not people who travelled across China like they did for the Al Nassr games.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo didn't refund anything out of his own pay. The tour organisers did aka the Saudis - https://english.news.cn/20240123/5bfae529917045baad4769914075ba80/c.html . A public apology is easier to do if the organisers agree to a refund.

Keep trying to push that Ronaldo is a saint narrative.

This all depends on whether Inter Miami organisers / Beckham will refund, not Messi's decision. Also for the HK game the attendees all seem to be people who live in HK area not people who travelled across China like they did for the Al Nassr games.
Nah you are suggesting both situation are the same but in fact they are totally opposite. People are angry because they felt they are being scammed without any compensation. Throughout the whole event Messi even refused to speak a word and the locals strongly feel disrespected by him.

JogaBonitoRooney

Nah you are suggesting both situation are the same but in fact they are totally opposite. People are angry because they felt they are being scammed without any compensation. Throughout the whole event Messi even refused to speak a word and the locals strongly feel disrespected by him.
There's no point for Messi to speak Spanish to some Cantonese and English speakers.

Anyway they should be lucky they got to even see Messi in person and be so close to him. Even if he didn't play. It's still worth $1000 or more.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No way is just seeing him worth $1000. I saw him for £20 strolling about in a pre season friendly against Tottenham once.

This is a massive own goal for Beckham who is trying to build this clubs identity and name. Even if it's for 20 mins, Messi had to play for those prices

RedDevilQuebecois

There's no point for Messi to speak Spanish to some Cantonese and English speakers.

Anyway they should be lucky they got to even see Messi in person and be so close to him. Even if he didn't play. It's still worth $1000 or more.
Now what kind of attitude is that? Shohei Ohtani, while being the highest paid athlete in the world right now, would take time to speak to people, with his interpreter always around him in order to ensure that nothing gets lost in translation. That is how you treat your fans if you care about them.

In Hong Kong, people were sold a product and that product has not met the expectations. If you have ever worked in the sales business once in your life, you would understand that the customer is always right and that is not negotiable. An angry customer means bad news and PR better work overtime to make up for the mess, starting with Messi's own PR team.

What you're defending here about Messi is an absolute level of cnut in his own behavior.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Man HK must be even more depressing now with all this rich people anger joining the middle class anger.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid

:lol: This can't be real.

Gehrman

Isnt it pretty much on the manager who gets to play?

Steve Bruce

Messi and Ronaldo are two greats, but honestly if they where playing a friendly in Belfast and part of the package was meet and greet I wouldn't pay £50. But then I don't really like friendly games and as a spectator I don't enjoy them unless there's a new signing, then I'm interested on how they perform

I honestly don't understand the star struck mentality. They bleed the same as me and when they go to the toilet their crap smells like everyone elses.

But that's just me, the world is very different now there's people support players rather than clubs. I don't understand that but their we are

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

It’s not only a case of not playing. He has been very uncooperative and near zero interaction with the fans throughout this stay in Hong Kong. Fans genuinely felt being disrespected by him, because they are welcoming him like a king over there but they are getting cold shoulder from him.

I don’t know what’s the reason of that, because he seems very warm and talkative after he left Hong Kong and arrived Japan today (in contrast to the way he refused to speak a word or participate in any PR interaction with fans during his stay in Hong Kong). That’s a complete change of his attitude in 2 different country. Maybe for some reason he just hate Hong Kong and the Chinese, that’s how the people there felt strongly at the moment.

Gehrman

Not in these cash grab games. Why would the manager not put him on unless he's been told not to?
I honestly dont know. Im don't have inside knowledge.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
It’s not only a case of not playing. He has been very uncooperative and near zero interaction with the fans throughout this stay in Hong Kong. Fans genuinely felt being disrespected by him, because they are welcoming him like a king over there but they are getting cold shoulder from him.

I don’t know what’s the reason of that, because he seems very warm and talkative after he left Hong Kong and arrived Japan today (in contrast to the way he refused to speak a word or participate in any PR interaction with fans during his stay in Hong Kong). That’s a complete change of his attitude in 2 different country. Maybe for some reason he just hate Hong Kong and the Chinese, that’s how the people there felt strongly at the moment.
He does. I remember him saying a while ago that Chinese people are dirty or something like that.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
From the same one that states CR7 it's not a great header of the ball...jokes aside, he didn't said it for the very reason that would be stupid to say such nonsense, bar he was in China quite a number of times before.

On the issue, it's a PR disaster because the Chinese people aren't there to see Inter, they are there to see Messi, but who knows how they arranged the contract.

From a bizzness perspective I dunno how both parts should manage this kind of stuff, the other day that last cameo in an already 6 to 0 looked bizarre too, like some sort of dammage control before they say if Messi doesn't play, we can't collect our bucks.
It clearly seems no part wanted to gave up the money obtained, there might have been some sort of refund if they announced it? who knows.

Last edited:

Gehrman

From the same one that states CR7 it's not a great header of the ball...jokes aside, he didn't said it for the very reason that would be stupid to say such nonsense, bar he was in China quite a number of times before.

On the issue, it's a PR disaster because the Chinese people aren't there to see Inter, they are there to see Messi, but who knows how they arranged the contract.

From a bizzness perspective I dunno how both parts should manage this kind of stuff, the other day that last cameo in an already 6 to 0 looked bizarre too, like some sort of dammage control before they say Messi didn't play and we can't collect our bucks. It clearly seems no part wanted to gave up the money obtained, there might have been some sort of refund if they announced it? who knows.
Well it is odd. I dont know why either manager or Messi wouldnt be on in a friendly pr. Tour

JB7

No fan of Inter Miami whatsoever - nothing to do with the other clown people always want to talk about - but because I watch their local rivals, who are crucially by far the best club in the Florida, but I don't see any reason for criticism here. If a player is deemed as unfit or injured, they shouldn't play, certainly not in a meaningless friendly. This says far more about the idiots paying crazy money to watch an individual rather than the football team and should serve as a warning for those in the US who will continue to pay 10 times the usual match price just because Messi might be on the pitch. It is a team sport, you pay to watch the team, not the individual so don't cry if your favourite player doesn't play.