Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonas

Scout
Currently, Messi all around play is much better than Ronaldo but the later is doing a fantastic job in changing his style to keep his numbers going toe on toe with Messi.

However it doesn't mean Ronaldo has always been the current kind of player, around 2008-2010 he was an excellent dribbler and great all around footballer. He just regressed in these with age while Messi is still keeping his level on the pitch as it was in 2009. Their numbers are still the same, though.
I agree about Ronaldo during that period. He was such an exciting player between 2007 and 2010 for me. Truly gets you off your seat stuff but it seems like after that he made a conscious decision to sacrifice that part of his game in favour of numbers. The irony is that it gained him a lot of admiration and respect in terms of what a machine like athlete he is but it also feels like it lost him the love and adulation that a lot of those greats have like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, etc ... Messi is just ridiculous, he has the skill of the best and is still matching the best in terms of numbers, it's beyond absurd.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
Ah, the joy of being able to post here, as convinced of my rightness as anyone else. I'm not interested in defending my view, as it won't be changed, but challenges are welcome.

Messi is leagues ahead of Ronaldo in the general playing of football. Messi is leagues ahead of Ronaldo in creative midfield properties, such as incisive passing; the vision to pull off such a penetrating pass; the ability to execute such a pass in numerous different styles; the ability to get out of all kinds of trouble with deft close control and unsurpassed technique; the ability to get out of all kinds of trouble by dribbling past 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 opponents, and then supplying either the type of pass already touched on above which results in an assist, or the killer finish himself.

Ronaldo barely enters this particular discussion. He does though in terms of striker ability, where he's one of the best that's ever been. Trouble is though, Messi matches him. He's just as good at this aspect of football as dropping deeper and supplying, which isn't the natural Ronaldo habitat. Messi is the complete footballer, but I'm not about to say he's the best that will ever be, as that's short-sighted. Genius does reoccur, and football will still be played in the year 235667. Nothing is beyond him, while there's plenty beyond Ronaldo, or any other player presently kicking a football for money. He can do it all, in often unimaginable ways. He routinely produces beauty. He's an artist in the way few footballers can dream of. But it's not science, and it all depends on what type of football gets you off.
Good post.

That's the way I see it also. Unfortunately people's minds are already made. They have there favourites and that is understandable especially for fans directly influenced by Ronaldo as player of there team. Thankfully the majority is usually always correct and in this case the overwhelming majority see Leo as the best of his generation. Some see him as best ever. Which is how I see him, albeit I've not seen much of maradona or pele other than highlights

Luke1995

Ah, the joy of being able to post here, as convinced of my rightness as anyone else. I'm not interested in defending my view, as it won't be changed, but challenges are welcome.

Messi is leagues ahead of Ronaldo in the general playing of football. Messi is leagues ahead of Ronaldo in creative midfield properties, such as incisive passing; the vision to pull off such a penetrating pass; the ability to execute such a pass in numerous different styles; the ability to get out of all kinds of trouble with deft close control and unsurpassed technique; the ability to get out of all kinds of trouble by dribbling past 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 opponents, and then supplying either the type of pass already touched on above which results in an assist, or the killer finish himself.

Ronaldo barely enters this particular discussion. He does though in terms of striker ability, where he's one of the best that's ever been. Trouble is though, Messi matches him. He's just as good at this aspect of football as dropping deeper and supplying, which isn't the natural Ronaldo habitat. Messi is the complete footballer, but I'm not about to say he's the best that will ever be, as that's short-sighted. Genius does reoccur, and football will still be played in the year 235667. Nothing is beyond him, while there's plenty beyond Ronaldo, or any other player presently kicking a football for money. He can do it all, in often unimaginable ways. He routinely produces beauty. He's an artist in the way few footballers can dream of. But it's not science, and it all depends on what type of football gets you off.
Even when he was very young between 2002 and 2006, Ronaldo used skills like the ''pedalada'' (that trick robinho always does) to get past players instead of trying to conduct the ball past them while changing directions (Perfect example: The Messi goal against getafe in 2007) There are numerous players better than him at ball control. and the playmaking aspect in the passing range plays against Ronaldo too, never, at any point in his career, I ever saw him dictating a game from midfield like Scholes, Xavi or Messi himself, and at one point, his crossing from the wings was bad, he didn't possess that Beckham ability to receive it wide and cross with perfection. What I think is appropriate to do, is to elevate Ronaldo higher than Ronaldinho, for example. Ronaldinho, while arguably the most skillfull player of all time and an excellent dribbler overall, including using the ''elastico'' (The trick which made Rivelino famous) numerous times, never had a great goal record and C.Ronaldo matched him in that entertainment aspect. I think that it is arguable that Messi doesn't know how to do freestyle football, I never really saw him trying to hummiliate defenders, but he is so good at what he does that people doesn't even feel the need to see him doing that.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ronaldinho, while arguably the most skillfull player of all time and an excellent dribbler overall, including using the ''elastico'' (The trick which made Rivelino famous) numerous times, never had a great goal record and C.Ronaldo matched him in that entertainment aspect.
In my eyes, Cristiano never matched Ronaldinho on the entertainment, not even close. He would do a lot of needless tricks that resulted in very little, Ronaldinho's showboating resulted in much more end-product whether through an assist or a goal than Cristiano when he was in his early years at Manchester United. Once he started cutting those out, he became more productive than Ronaldinho who was really not bothered with being a professional or driven like Cristiano. I'm not taking anything away from CR's technical skills, it's just how he chose to use them that made him much less entertaining to me than a guy like Ronnie.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
To me they have both changed. Ronaldo was the more entertaining and the better dribbler when younger while Messi was the more direct. Now the roles are reversed and yes Messi is the better dribbler and Ronaldo is more direct. They will never be as good on the eye as Ronaldinho or Zidane but numbers and performances don't lie. In effectiveness they are in the same boat. Just enjoy them because you're witnessing the two best players since Maradona in world cup 86.

MrEleson

In my eyes, Cristiano never matched Ronaldinho on the entertainment, not even close. He would do a lot of needless tricks that resulted in very little, Ronaldinho's showboating resulted in much more end-product whether through an assist or a goal than Cristiano when he was in his early years at Manchester United. Once he started cutting those out, he became more productive than Ronaldinho who was really not bothered with being a professional or driven like Cristiano. I'm not taking anything away from CR's technical skills, it's just how he chose to use them that made him much less entertaining to me than a guy like Ronnie.
06/07 C.Ronaldo was arguably as entertaining as Ronaldinho.

He was more mature in his decision making and end product than his earlier years but was still terrorising and making fools out of defenders with audacious tricks and dribbles. Most of his play during this season would either end in a goal/assist or put the opposing team on the back foot. This version of Ronaldo could also run with the ball glued to his feet at incredible speed. Check his game against Reading in the 1st half of the 06/07 season (think the score was 1-1); the guy was literally all over the pitch and bombing past players with ease. Another impressive thing about this version of Ronaldo is that he was so relentless. He'd attack the opposition's defence for 90mins at the same intensity. His stamina was unreal. Crazy to think how much he's changed his game over the past decade.

Reactions: Varun

Luke1995

I get your point but I absolutely love the way Ronaldo played from 2003 to early 2006, there were so many tricks. George Best and Garrincha also did alot of needless stuff but people still loved it. But yeah... Ronaldinho's ability to agregate tricks and end-product was unique.

RedStrudel76

So Ronaldo could overtake Messi on Ballon d'Ors next season.. be interesting if that makes many hardcore football fans rate him higher than Messi. I think that sort of thing will influence the general public, but you only have to watch a game of each to see which is better and it IS Messi. Take goalscoring out of their games and Messi is much more influential. You only have to see the threads on this forum when both of them don't score to see that, when Ronaldo suddenly scores a tap-in he's had a great game etc, but if he doesn't he was rubbish etc.

I'd say Messi is the best player due to his playmaking and passing abilities, and Ronaldo is the all-around better scorer but Messi matches him in that area so for me Messi is the best.

How long can these two continue to dominate!? it's turned really boring now.. I'm actually looking forward to the day that football can focus on new talents like Neymar, Harry Kane etc because I think in Real Madrid and Barcelona teams every other player is in their shadows that it makes it hard for young players to shine there. Sometimes things get stale and you need to freshen it up.. sadly I think football and especially La Liga will suffer when they both retire because they have built them up to be almost bigger then the game itself that there is now a dearth of World Class players in the game even considering 15 years ago (Ronaldinho, Henry, Zidane, Figo, Nedved etc) there is no longer the same depth spread around evenly the leagues. Teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona stockpile the best players which get overshadowed and lost in the shuffle by Messi and Ronaldo.

Ronaldo at almost 34 maybe should be thinking of retiring from the Portuguese national team after next summers World Cup to prolong his club career with Real Madrid (think Giggsy with Wales). As there is NO WAY he can continue performing at this level week-in and week-out until he's 40 for example. And I can't see him playing at the next World Cup in 2022 at 38 years of age with the scorching heat in Qatar.

Luke1995

So Ronaldo could overtake Messi on Ballon d'Ors next season.. be interesting if that makes many hardcore football fans rate him higher than Messi. I think that sort of thing will influence the general public, but you only have to watch a game of each to see which is better and it IS Messi. Take goalscoring out of their games and Messi is much more influential. You only have to see the threads on this forum when both of them don't score to see that, when Ronaldo suddenly scores a tap-in he's had a great game etc, but if he doesn't he was rubbish etc.

I'd say Messi is the best player due to his playmaking and passing abilities, and Ronaldo is the all-around better scorer but Messi matches him in that area so for me Messi is the best.

How long can these two continue to dominate!? it's turned really boring now.. I'm actually looking forward to the day that football can focus on new talents like Neymar, Harry Kane etc because I think in Real Madrid and Barcelona teams every other player is in their shadows that it makes it hard for young players to shine there. Sometimes things get stale and you need to freshen it up.. sadly I think football and especially La Liga will suffer when they both retire because they have built them up to be almost bigger then the game itself that there is now a dearth of World Class players in the game even considering 15 years ago (Ronaldinho, Henry, Zidane, Figo, Nedved etc) there is no longer the same depth spread around evenly the leagues. Teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona stockpile the best players which get overshadowed and lost in the shuffle by Messi and Ronaldo.

Ronaldo at almost 34 maybe should be thinking of retiring from the Portuguese national team after next summers World Cup to prolong his club career with Real Madrid (think Giggsy with Wales). As there is NO WAY he can continue performing at this level week-in and week-out until he's 40 for example. And I can't see him playing at the next World Cup in 2022 at 38 years of age with the scorching heat in Qatar.
I can't see him playing in the 2022 world cup also, but in 2020 he could still play at the euro.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think most people know Messi is better than Ronaldo, and Messi should be on pace to win the next ballon d'or as Ronaldo is slumping very badly right now. I'm sure Ronaldo will turn it around like he did last season but Messi is off to a historically great start, even by his standards.

ryadmahrez

To me they have both changed. Ronaldo was the more entertaining and the better dribbler when younger while Messi was the more direct. Now the roles are reversed and yes Messi is the better dribbler and Ronaldo is more direct. They will never be as good on the eye as Ronaldinho or Zidane but numbers and performances don't lie. In effectiveness they are in the same boat. Just enjoy them because you're witnessing the two best players since Maradona in world cup 86.
Ronaldo never ever was the better dribbler. That is rediculous to suggest. Messi was even a better dribbler in his younger years, than he is now.

Offtopic in response to the ones who were talking showboating and tricks. I think tricks and showboating gets overrated a bit. I live in Amsterdam, where freestyle football is pretty big. A lot of guys here can do all the tricks and can nutmeg you right away, but they mostly can only dribble one player with a trick, real close control players that can dribble multiple players in tight spaces, is actually something you don't see that often if not at all. Learning tricks/showboating I believe is something almost everybody can learn from my experience, but being great at dribbling is more about having great intuition/responsiveness and close control. Which is a rare thing, that some have and some just don't.

Luke1995

Ronaldo never ever was the better dribbler. That is rediculous to suggest. Messi was even a better dribbler in his younger years, than he is now.

Offtopic in response to the ones who were talking showboating and tricks. I think tricks and showboating gets overrated a bit. I live in Amsterdam, where freestyle football is pretty big. A lot of guys here can do all the tricks and can nutmeg you right away, but they mostly can only dribble one player with a trick, real close control players that can dribble multiple players in tight spaces, is actually something you don't see that often if not at all. Learning tricks/showboating I believe is something almost everybody can learn from my experience, but being great at dribbling is more about having great intuition/responsiveness and close control. Which is a rare thing, that some have and some just don't.
Mahrez himself is a perfect example of that, it baffles me that he is still at Leicester. Arguably the most skillfull player in the EPL. I get your point, coaches can teach how to do a certain trick, but it's impossible to teach intuition and tactical awareness about when to accelerate and try to dribble.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think most people know Messi is better than Ronaldo, and Messi should be on pace to win the next ballon d'or as Ronaldo is slumping very badly right now. I'm sure Ronaldo will turn it around like he did last season but Messi is off to a historically great start, even by his standards.
Err... the year hasn't even started yet, goes to show how desperate the Messi fans are nowadays.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Err... the year hasn't even started yet, goes to show how desperate the Messi fans are nowadays.
Ronaldo has it wrapped up for this past season, but he's off to the worst start in nearly ten years, Messi is carrying Barca and barring another unlikely late CL round flouirish from Ronaldo Messi should have it in the bag.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo has it wrapped up for this past season, but he's off to the worst start in nearly ten years, Messi is carrying Barca and barring another unlikely late CL round flouirish from Ronaldo Messi should have it in the bag.
Ronaldo has 2017 in the bag, 2018 hasn't even started. It'll go down to the WC unless Real 3-peats the CL.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
You can't be serious! Messi playing well right now will have no bearing on the next one.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The way we used to settle who was better at football in school was playing knockouts.

Stick De Gea in goal and these two can play 1 on 1. First to 5 wins.

Moby

Dick
Ballon D'ors are decided at the end of the seasons especially the Champions League, no one remembers what happened at the start of the previous season plus that isn't included either as Ballon D'or is based on the calendar year.

It pretty much got decided after Cristiano's performances in the CL KOs last year, even last season he didn't start as well as he finished it, he peaked in form at the right time and sealed the award. This season again Madrid is the best team of the lot and if they go deep in the competition it will be again decided based on that - and of course the added World Cup although neither Messi nor Cristiano have been brilliant in those.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I think Neymar or Neuer might end up winning the next one given it's a World Cup year. The 2 most important competitions of the year will be decided in very few games which makes it more unpredictable and leaves it open for a surprise winner.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ballon D'ors are decided at the end of the seasons especially the Champions League, no one remembers what happened at the start of the previous season plus that isn't included either as Ballon D'or is based on the calendar year.

It pretty much got decided after Cristiano's performances in the CL KOs last year, even last season he didn't start as well as he finished it, he peaked in form at the right time and sealed the award. This season again Madrid is the best team of the lot and if they go deep in the competition it will be again decided based on that - and of course the added World Cup although neither Messi nor Cristiano have been brilliant in those.
This.

Pogbasky

They aren't even the best team in Spain.

Pogbasky

We'll see that at the end of the season, the titles speak for themselves.
Who are you? Nostradamus? Truth is Real Madrid have looked like a team that might be showing signs of aging of key personnel, while Barca have looked hungrier. Not to mention how Man City and PSG look like they are going to walk all over Europe with fresher, younger stars. Let's come back to this at the end of the season.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The way we used to settle who was better at football in school was playing knockouts.

Stick De Gea in goal and these two can play 1 on 1. First to 5 wins.
They would still be in separable. Ronaldo would easily go past a defender Messi, and Messi, well, can go past anyone.

Moby

Dick
Who are you? Nostradamus? Truth is Real Madrid have looked like a team that might be showing signs of aging of key personnel, while Barca have looked hungrier. Not to mention how Man City and PSG look like they are going to walk all over Europe with fresher, younger stars. Let's come back to this at the end of the season.
Wtf?

I am saying if Madrid win the league, they would be claimed as the best team in the season, if not, they won't be. Let the season speak for itself, instead of people coming up with what's the best team and what not.

Same goes for City or PSG- let them win the competition that Madrid have in the last two years first before hyping them up.

Pogbasky

Wtf?

I am saying if Madrid win the league, they would be claimed as the best team in the season, if not, they won't be. Let the season speak for itself, instead of people coming up with what's the best team and what not.

Same goes for City or PSG- let them win the competition that Madrid have in the last two years first before hyping them up.
"This season again Madrid is the best team of the lot"

You initially said the above so no, that's not what you're saying.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I remember watching a video where Messi had to try and score against a robot that was programmed to save his shots and he still sinked a fair few.
Ronaldo probably would too. That's why I said he'd maybe save one. As good as De Gea is the attacker has the %. Those two rarely miss so I'd bet on both to score at least nine. I'd actually bet it would go to the next round.

criticalanalysis

I reckon out of ten De Gea would save one. One on one they are both dead eyes.
De God saves both of their dead eyes.

I remember watching a video where Messi had to try and score against a robot that was programmed to save his shots and he still sinked a fair few.
Sure, both lack sentient ability when a round object is fired in their direction but do not compare a robot to a deity between the posts..

RedStrudel76

Is it only close between fans on this board on who's the better player? on most serious football forums it seems unanimous it's Messi. It's pretty biased because Ronaldo use play for us.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Is it only close between fans on this board on who's the better player? on most serious football forums it seems unanimous it's Messi. It's pretty biased because Ronaldo use play for us.
Is there anyone not biased about it? Because I'm pretty sure you're biased too :D If Ronaldo didn't act like a petulant child he'd get a lot less people downplaying what he does on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.