Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Are you denying that all CRs goals were legitimate in the knockout games in the last couple of years, if I remember correctly, Abidal was sent off unjustly in 09 and there were decisions that went against us in the first leg but no one pats an eye on that. If only we had the same run in that Real had in 2014, we'd most likely have won it as well, we wouldn't have needed help from the ref. I agree that we've got favourable decisions in the past but why ignore mistakes made by the ref when it doesn't suit your agenda. Even last season in the league, there were so many decisions that went against us, if not for these decisions, CR would only have won 1 league title in 9 years, bloody hell that is awful. I still don't understand how the great CR has only won 2 league titles in 9 years. If not for your delusion, many people would appreciate CR more but when you just argue without any pragmatism, that's when people come up with their own agenda, I mean scoring goals is more important but creating them is not, only you can come up with such logic. I'd think that CR was a hybrid of Maradona and Pele who didn't need people behind him creating chances for him to score in the knockout games, he'd just get the ball in his own half, skip past all the players, lift the ball up himself and score via an overhead kick. I wonder why teams look for players who can dribble, honestly, that's just plain awful, what has dribbling got to do with scoring goals and creating chances. I feel for Benzema as well, he would have had thrice as many goals had he not played alongside CR, oh yeah but he game him a penalty in a game that was already won, I wish he had joined United in 09, he was immense for Lyon, granted he has more trophies and has been a success team wise but there was a time where he could have been one of the best players in the world, then CR happened.
Seriously you're going with that? Chelsea could have got 6 penalties in that game, 4 of them VERY solid claims, yet the incompetence (corrupt?) Ovebro hands the tie to Barca on a platter.

Dortmund, Bayern, At Madrid? The same At Madrid Barca LOST to? :confused:

You really want to go down that route? If not for Ovebro and co, Messi would only have 2 CLs if we're generous? Perhaps 1? That's bloody awful for supposedly the best player ever. :smirk:

Please point out when I said this? What is is with the followers of St Lionel and inventing things that wasn't said? :wenger:

That seems to be how exactly some of you describe Messi - "If you take away his goals, you're left with Maradona"? :lol:

Teams are all desperate to sign the next great dribbler, that's why Denilson is rated so highly.

Cal?

CR7 fan
No one denies that he was instrumental but when one denies that Messi was not the man who made our most successful period in history possible, we use their own logic against them. I saw a post recently claiming that Messi's second goal against rm in 11 was not that great because they weren't arsed anymore, come on, that was one of the greatest goals in cl history against our biggest rivals in the semi final and these guys say go on to give excuses. For goodness sake, it's okay to have an opinion that CR is better, but atleast have arguments that are consistent to back it up. Anyways, I'd rather enjoy Messi for the the last few years of his career and dread CR since I am Barca fan but neutrals can enjoy the two of them in their own ways, there is an agenda for Messi here as well but the way these guys throw insults at Messi pisses me off.
Oh the irony, the followers of St Lionel and their claims of Ronaldo "not even in the top 10 ever", "not as good as fat Ronaldo" (we even had Ronaldinho and Rivaldo at one stage), yet somehow they're insulted with me calling Messi "the 2nd greatest footballer ever". :wenger:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Barcelona has a better record in El Clasico in the past decade or so.
Perhaps Barcelona having a better record has something to do with the players of the last decade? You know, players like, I don't know, Messi?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Oh the irony, the followers of St Lionel and their claims of Ronaldo "not even in the top 10 ever", "not as good as fat Ronaldo" (we even had Ronaldinho and Rivaldo at one stage), yet somehow they're insulted with me calling Messi "the 2nd greatest footballer ever". :wenger:
It is one thing debating Ronaldo to be better than Messi, but it is another thing entirely to think Ronaldo is the best footballer ever. :wenger:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Perhaps Barcelona having a better record has something to do with the players of the last decade? You know, players like, I don't know, Messi?
One would assume the same logic applies to the CL knockout stage

HorrorFan07

Messi is the best footballer overall. Ronaldo the best and more complete goalscorer.

I think that is a pretty simple way of summing everything up without getting into long-winded debates.

The proof is in the pudding. Take away the goals and just watch a match with both players and you will see the difference is night and day. Ronaldo doesn't possess Lio's passing range or vision, his playmaking ability or ability to control the tempo of a football match. That is a quality all the greats have (Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane etc all had). That's not a slight on Ronaldo, but it's a fact. The small details is what separates them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal?

CR7 fan
In my opinion that is ridiculous. Pele has almost as many goals as the both of them combined, but he also is the only player to have won 3 World Cups.
Ronaldo is on 570 career goals to date, Pele had 650.

The 3 WCs is impressive, but you could make a case that Brazil would have won those anyway, particularly 1962

LuenerLinguist

In my opinion that is ridiculous. Pele has almost as many goals as the both of them combined, but he also is the only player to have won 3 World Cups.
Ok, but he also played 50 years ago. Today there is a lot more talent around and the game itself is way faster, more tactical etc. I think its hard to compare players of totally different decades.

Semiarty

Supports
FC Barcelona
Not agreeing Messi is better in Classico's then? :p
He said already that Barca has been superior, not Messi. :lol: I feel kinda sad for this guy, his whole life revolves around Ronaldo. I bet he cries himself to sleep everytime Ronaldo doesn't score :(

Pocho

When your goals come from succesfull dribbling
If your seriously think that Real owe their CL success to the likes of Modric more than Ronaldo, deluded wouldn't begin to describe your condition.

As for Barca being successful because of Messi? Ovebro did much more for them in 2009 in the scandal of Stamford Bridge. In 2011 there was the scandal of Bernabeu.
the Real Bayern match was a scandal,nothing to say about that?

Cal?

CR7 fan
When your goals come from succesfull dribbling

the Real Bayern match was a scandal,nothing to say about that?
You mean the match where Bayern was given a phantom penalty or the one where Vidal was rightly sent off?

Compare that to the 4/5/6 depending on your view penalties not given at Stamford Bridge

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Ronaldo is on 570 career goals to date, Pele had 650.

The 3 WCs is impressive, but you could make a case that Brazil would have won those anyway, particularly 1962

That is fair enough, we all have our opinions. For me Pele is number 1, saying that, Messi and Ronaldo are still in my top 5 ever.

Friendlies and high school matches
Deduct friendlies and he still has more goals than either of them.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Ok, but he also played 50 years ago. Today there is a lot more talent around and the game itself is way faster, more tactical etc. I think its hard to compare players of totally different decades.
Very true mate, it is unfair and difficult to compare era’s. But we can argue against that as the balls are so much better, same with the boots, pitches, state of the art training facilities, nutrition, better coaches, better tactics and managers, better fitness instructors, more knowledge on cigarettes/alcohol. The list goes on.

Imagine Pele with all that, and then imagine Ronaldo without all of that.

Deleted member 101472

Very true mate, it is unfair and difficult to compare era’s. But we can argue against that as the balls are so much better, same with the boots, pitches, state of the art training facilities, nutrition, better coaches, better tactics and managers, better fitness instructors, more knowledge on cigarettes/alcohol. The list goes on.

Imagine Pele with all that, and then imagine Ronaldo without all of that.
Don’t say that. You’ll severely mess with millennial heads saying stuff like this.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Don’t say that. You’ll severely mess with millennial heads saying stuff like this.
Attacking players these days get far more protection than back then as well. Imagine Ronaldo getting kicked to bits like past greats had to endure. He would spend most of the game rolling around crying, he used to do it in the PL and players got more protection then than back in the day.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
This poll is being scripted to lower the votes for Messi. Not one Messi vote registered in over a week is very fishy

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The Donald Trump twitter for CR7 has returned.

No one is insulted with you calling Messi the 2nd greatest ever. That's just your opinion however much I disagree with it. But you refuse to even respect other poster's opinions with all your "Messi ****, followers of St Lionel" childish name calling.

Also you never explained why, like Donald Trump, you cannot even talk about Ronaldo Nazario without childish name calling and making fun of someone for a genetic condition?

Cal?

CR7 fan
The Donald Trump twitter for CR7 has returned.

No one is insulted with you calling Messi the 2nd greatest ever. That's just your opinion however much I disagree with it. But you refuse to even respect other poster's opinions with all your "Messi ****, followers of St Lionel" childish name calling.

Also you never explained why, like Donald Trump, you cannot even talk about Ronaldo Nazario without childish name calling and making fun of someone for a genetic condition?
I have no problem with those who are of the opinion that Messi is better than Ronaldo, it's the ones who states their opinion as facts that I refer to as the Messi brigade or followers of St Lionel. Those are the ones who cannot be reasoned with.

Because fat Ronaldo is easier to type than Ronaldo Nazario, and everyone knows who I'm referring to. It doesn't matter why he got fat.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I have no problem with those who are of the opinion that Messi is better than Ronaldo, it's the ones who states their opinion as facts that I refer to as the Messi brigade or followers of St Lionel. Those are the ones who cannot be reasoned with.

Because fat Ronaldo is easier to type than Ronaldo Nazario, and everyone knows who I'm referring to. It doesn't matter why he got fat.
Donald Trump level rationale right there. Making fun of someone for a genetic condition is "easier for you to type" than showing other human beings basic courtesy and respect. And you think you come off as someone that can be reasoned with?

How about you PM me a photo of yourself and your medical history so I can come up with an appropriate insulting nickname for you that is easier to type than a question mark?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Donald Trump level rationale right there. Making fun of someone for a genetic condition is "easier for you to type" than showing other human beings basic courtesy and respect. And you think you come off as someone that can be reasoned with?

How about you PM me a photo of yourself and your medical history so I can come up with an appropriate insulting nickname for you that is easier to type than a question mark?
I'm not exactly the only one who refers to him as fat Ronaldo, Sir Alex called him "the fatter one". I just don't get why you seem to be so upset about it.

If as you claim, it's genetics, then why should he be insulted? There's nothing he could do about it. Messi is short, Ronaldo is tall, Robben is bald, these are all caused by genetics.

Short, tall, bald, fat, etc are all just descriptions of people.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I'm not exactly the only one who refers to him as fat Ronaldo, Sir Alex called him "the fatter one". I just don't get why you seem to be so upset about it.
You might as well just start linking Donald Trump twitter to support your irrational arguments.

I have a friend who shares that genetic condition with Fenomeno so I think its weak and cowardly for you to continue to insult someone hiding anonymously on the internet based on a condition they cannot control because your feelings are so hurt that not everyone worships Cristiano like you do.

But way to double down on being a jerk just like Donald Trump.

I also have to commend all the other posters here for not falling down to Cal's trashy level of name calling like a mean girl.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

If as you claim, it's genetics, then why should he be insulted? There's nothing he could do about it. Messi is short, Ronaldo is tall, Robben is bald, these are all caused by genetics.

Short, tall, bald, fat, etc are all just descriptions of people.

Fergie was never known for being a politically correct bloke. I don't think we have either achieved as much as him to get away with it lol.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You might as well just start linking Donald Trump twitter to support your irrational arguments.

I have a friend who shares that genetic condition with Fenomeno so I think its weak and cowardly for you to continue to insult someone hiding anonymously on the internet based on a condition they cannot control because your feelings are so hurt that not everyone worships Cristiano like you do.

But way to double down on being a jerk just like Donald Trump.

I also have to commend all the other posters here for not falling down to Cal's trashy level of name calling like a mean girl.
I'll stop referring to him as fat Ronaldo if it truly upsets you that much. :rolleyes:

But it appears to me that you seem to have a fat complex.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I'll stop referring to him as fat Ronaldo if it truly upsets you that much. :rolleyes:

But it appears to me that you seem to have a fat complex.
Couldn't leave it alone without a final little insult? Just like Donald Trump.

:lol: Just because you know for a fact I absolutely detest Trump.
Which is why its ironic that you are posting just like him ;)

Cal?

CR7 fan
Fergie was never known for being a politically correct bloke. I don't think we have either achieved as much as him to get away with it lol.
I just don't get the big deal about the word fat. If I refer to Robben as bald Robben, will onenil get all upset again?

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
That is not a list of games they played against each other. Messi's better record obviously has a lot to do with the better team he played in for much longer.
You mean these games?

Before Ronaldo, Messi had 8 games vs Real Madrid, with 3 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws (where he scored a hat trick), and he got 2 of those 3 wins in the last pre-Ronaldo season, where Ronaldinho, Deco, etc... weren't around anymore after finishing 18 points behind Real in La Liga

Your logic is as sound as ever.

Messi was more successful at a younger age mainly due to playing in a vastly better team with Xaviesta & co. He's no longer anywhere near as successful once Xavi left and Iniesta got worse.
When Ronaldo is successful, it's because of his team mates, yet with Messi, he does it all himself? :lol:

Do explain why Messi FC has gone out in the CL QF 3 times in the last 4 seasons since the demise of Xaviesta.

Are you denying that Messi had the better team mates in that 09-11 team under St Pep?

Real are so successful because of Ronaldo, they wouldn’t have been anywhere near as good without him. They would certainly have not retained the CL, etc, etc...
If your seriously think that Real owe their CL success to the likes of Modric more than Ronaldo, deluded wouldn't begin to describe your condition.

As for Barca being successful because of Messi? Ovebro did much more for them in 2009 in the scandal of Stamford Bridge. In 2011 there was the scandal of Bernabeu.
I don't think anyone said more than Ronaldo, but at least Kroos-Modric have the same transcendence as Xavi-Iniesta, because your point seems to belittle Messi's titles as "he had a better team" and magnify Ronaldo as "he's the one winning UCL's for Real Madrid".

Otherwise, care to explain to us why Ronaldo didn't play any final with Real Madrid until Modric's 2nd season? And how come Real Madrid have won 3 of the last 4 UCL titles, but the one they failed to even reach the final was the one this happened to Modric?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Couldn't leave it alone without a final little insult? Just like Donald Trump.

Which is why its ironic that you are posting just like him ;)
I just don't know why calling someone fat, as fat is such a big deal.

If I call Robben, bald Robben, or Valbuena, short Valbuena. Will you be all upset about it? :confused:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I just don't get the big deal about the word fat. If I refer to Robben as bald Robben, will onenil get all upset again?
Do you really not get what you are doing?

Should we just reduce Redcafe to Bluemoon with all the name calling?

Like Donald Trump always writes "little marco rubio". Little is just a physical fact descriptor right? Nothing wrong with Trump always writing "Little Marco Rubio" is there?

Anyway :lol: at your tagline

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

Cal?

CR7 fan
You mean these games?

Before Ronaldo, Messi had 8 games vs Real Madrid, with 3 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws (where he scored a hat trick), and he got 2 of those 3 wins in the last pre-Ronaldo season, where Ronaldinho, Deco, etc... weren't around anymore after finishing 18 points behind Real in La Liga

Your logic is as sound as ever.

I don't think anyone said more than Ronaldo, but at least Kroos-Modric have the same transcendence as Xavi-Iniesta, because your point seems to belittle Messi's titles as "he had a better team" and magnify Ronaldo as "he's the one winning UCL's for Real Madrid".

Otherwise, care to explain to us why Ronaldo didn't play any final with Real Madrid until Modric's 2nd season? And how come Real Madrid have won 3 of the last 4 UCL titles, but the one they failed to even reach the final was the one this happened to Modric?

No, Messi's better record has everything to do with the period between 2009-2011 where he played for the bestest team in the world ever ever under St Pep.

You don't think anyone said more than Ronaldo? :confused: The post I quoted for that reply was exactly someone implying Modric has been the key player for Real's CL wins.

The reason Ronaldo didn't make the final in 2011 was because of the Scandal of Bernabeu, you know, the one where the ref sent of Pepe for NOT touching Alves?

Status
Not open for further replies.