Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJJ

You perfectly sum up the argument for all those pro Cristiano. You dont need STATS to determine who the better player is. There are numerous players with better stats than Maradonna, Lampard had better stats than Iniesta. Judging great players and their place in the pantheon requires you to look further, to their influence and control over a football match. Cruyff, Pele, Maradonna, Di Stefano were influencial footballers all over the pitch. Take away their goals and they were still the best players on the pitch. Cristiano has never had anywhere close to the same kind of command of the game as those other greats, all his fans talk about is his goals, like he's Gerd Muller. Why dont you eulogise his playmaking, his passing, his intelligence, his technique? Granted Cristianos all round game was very elite towards the end of United and the beginning of Real, but Leo' all round gane has been at a godly level for 10 years. There's a huge difference, both historically, and especially now between the all round games of the two.
Furthermore, one thing that the likes of Cal, Peyroteo fail to explain is why Leo is held in the highest of regard by the greatest managers and players. Why has Leo for a long time been compared to Pele and Diego, and Cristiano less so? Why do Rooney and Scholes say Messi is better? Leo has been claimed as the best ever by many football managers and players. For Cristiano, not even close. He can score to his heart's content, but he will never "play" better than Leo, and ultimately, that is and will be tge difference between the two.
And yet Ronaldo will end up with the better career.

Trizy

And yet Ronaldo will end up with the better career.
Will he though? He's proved it in 3 countries but in terms of silverware Messi easily wins it. Twice he won the treble.

I prefer Ronaldo but Messi is slightly better in the numbers for player vs player.

hkjack

Supports
Man City
And another stat, because I'm weird this way

Messi's teams have scored 119 KO goals, from which 41 come from Leo (34'4%)
Ronaldo's teams have scored 137 goals, 60 come fron Ronaldo (43%)

Not so much of a difference between a god vs a minnow.
I wonder if C'ronaldo took 80% of team shots ?

Last edited by a moderator:

MJJ

Will he though? He's proved it in 3 countries but in terms of silverware Messi easily wins it. Twice he won the treble.

I prefer Ronaldo but Messi is slightly better in the numbers for player vs player.
More cl and international trophy.

Messi has won more league trophies but the cl is a more prestigious trophy. Ronaldo has more than most clubs!

Pocho

It sounds like you got hurt by this particular stat.
Devastated.
You perfectly sum up the argument for all those pro Cristiano. You dont need STATS to determine who the better player is. There are numerous players with better stats than Maradonna, Lampard had better stats than Iniesta. Judging great players and their place in the pantheon requires you to look further, to their influence and control over a football match. Cruyff, Pele, Maradonna, Di Stefano were influencial footballers all over the pitch. Take away their goals and they were still the best players on the pitch. Cristiano has never had anywhere close to the same kind of command of the game as those other greats, all his fans talk about is his goals, like he's Gerd Muller. Why dont you eulogise his playmaking, his passing, his intelligence, his technique? Granted Cristianos all round game was very elite towards the end of United and the beginning of Real, but Leo' all round gane has been at a godly level for 10 years. There's a huge difference, both historically, and especially now between the all round games of the two.
Furthermore, one thing that the likes of Cal, Peyroteo fail to explain is why Leo is held in the highest of regard by the greatest managers and players. Why has Leo for a long time been compared to Pele and Diego, and Cristiano less so? Why do Rooney and Scholes say Messi is better? Leo has been claimed as the best ever by many football managers and players. For Cristiano, not even close. He can score to his heart's content, but he will never "play" better than Leo, and ultimately, that is and will be tge difference between the two.
Excellent post.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
History will be less kind to Messi than these 'I've seen him with my own eyes' idiots.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
History will be less kind to Messi than these 'I've seen him with my own eyes' idiots.
Not really true when pretty much everything Messi has ever done has been recorded from multiple angles in HD. It's not like scouring the internet for rare footage of Pele playing some part time factory workers.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
What makes you think this?
Yeah, using anything but the wikipedia page to judge a player is really idiotic.
Not really true when pretty much everything Messi has ever done has been recorded from multiple angles in HD. It's not like scouring the internet for rare footage of Pele playing some part time factory workers.
Footage/trophies/records implies it. Not wikipedia or any other source. I think CR7 is better and has achieved more.

Pocho

Footage/trophies/records implies it. Not wikipedia or any other source. I think CR7 is better and has achieved more.
Gerd Muller is better than Messi and Cristiano then? Should we open a thread Messi vs Cristiano vs Gerd Muller?
This is the problem, Maradona was a much better player than Cristiano is and wasn't a scorer. Zidane was better than Raúl. So no, history will still tell the truth.

Shinjch

I don't get your point at all in saying, "History will be less kind to Messi than these 'I've seen him with my own eyes' idiots" then.

Sounds to me like you were only trying to wind people up without putting any thought into the rest of your post.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Means Ronaldo played more knockout games than Messi. It's not Ronaldo's fault that Messi's team got knocked out much earlier.
They score at the same rate in goals@minute, the difference is sometimes you have a Iniesta, Pedro, Marcelo or Chicharito to send the team through, sometimes you don't.

International trophies Ronaldo:1 Messi:0
Bye.
At least Messi featured more than 20 minutes in the only final he has won with his national team. We're talking about football, not cheerleading from the bench.

I wonder if C'ronaldo took 80% of team shots ?
I'm don't feel masochistic enough to check shooting stats game after game right now :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The fact that the two of so called best players of all time only have 1 goal between them in the World Cup knockout stage is hilarious.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They score at the same rate in goals@minute, the difference is sometimes you have a Iniesta, Pedro, Marcelo or Chicharito to send the team through, sometimes you don't.

At least Messi featured more than 20 minutes in the only final he has won with his national team. We're talking about football, not cheerleading from the bench.

I'm don't feel masochistic enough to check shooting stats game after game right now :lol:
If they score at a similar rate in the CL knockout stage and Cristiano has many more goals from the QF onwards, what does that tell us?

Messi's record mainly comes from last 16 games where the opposition tend to be lesser teams than the latter stages of the competition.

Indeed Messi featured in a few finals for Argentina, he even missed the deciding penalty for good measure. :lol:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
If they score at a similar rate in the CL knockout stage and Cristiano has many more goals from the QF onwards, what does that tell us?

Messi's record mainly comes from last 16 games where the opposition tend to be lesser teams than the latter stages of the competition.

Indeed Messi featured in a few finals for Argentina, he even missed the deciding penalty for good measure. :lol:
What's the big difference between Messi scoring 4 goals in 2 semifinals to send his team into 2 finals, and Ronaldo scoring 13 in 7 semifinals to send Real/United to 3 finals?.

You're basically comparing this

versus this

In your way of understanding football there's no team output, the ball magically appears in the area for someone to score, and everything else that happens before that holds 0 weight, when actually everything before that is the hardest part of the sport.

You'd take Just Fontaine in 58' over Maradona in 86'? Griezmann over Pogba in 18'? Suker or Zidane in 98?.

Cal?

CR7 fan
What's the big difference between Messi scoring 4 goals in 2 semifinals to send his team into 2 finals, and Ronaldo scoring 13 in 7 semifinals to send Real/United to 3 finals?.

You're basically comparing this

versus this

In your way of understanding football there's no team output, the ball magically appears in the area for someone to score, and everything else that happens before that holds 0 weight, when actually everything before that is the hardest part of the sport.

You'd take Just Fontaine in 58' over Maradona in 86'? Griezmann over Pogba in 18'? Suker or Zidane in 98?.
Messi is the one who basically hasn't performed in the latter stages of the CL since the decline of Xavi and Iniesta.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Messi is the one who basically hasn't performed in the latter stages of the CL since the decline of Xavi and Iniesta.
You are so unbelievably funny :lol: Completely proved his point. Think I've never seen somebody with a more superficial understanding of football than you. By the way, have you ever participated in a football match yourself? It feels like your complete idea of football is derived from Captain Tsubasa or something like this.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
The decline of Xavi started in 2012, Iniesta's almost in 2015. Maybe you could get alone to the conclussion that as our better midfielders retired, he had to tack more responsabilities in our midfield.

You know who delivered nil in the last UCL semis and final yet has another title to his name?. Ronaldo's performances in semis and final were worse than anything I've seen from Messi in our last 3 European campaigns, it's the same as the international debate, Marcelo, Benzema or Eder scoring with Ronaldo having nothing to do with those goals, not even being in the pitch, carry more weight to his legacy than Messi being player of the tournament leading Argentina into a WC final.

And yes, he didn't score, Xavi only to scored a goal to be player of the tournament in 2008.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

Come back to me when he has a trophy for his country and is the reason they were in the final and not just group stage goals.

Also "Cheerleading" from the bench far outweighs QUITTING on your country. What a champion he is huh.

Thank you check please.

Deleted member 101472

Come back to me when he has a trophy for his country and is the reason they were in the final and not just group stage goals.

Also "Cheerleading" from the bench far outweighs QUITTING on your country. What a champion he is huh.

Thank you check please.
Tone it down a bit friend. You are coming across as very childish here.

SportingCP96

Supports
The decline of Xavi started in 2012, Iniesta's almost in 2015. Maybe you could get alone to the conclussion that as our better midfielders retired, he had to tack more responsabilities in our midfield.

You know who delivered nil in the last UCL semis and final yet has another title to his name?. Ronaldo's performances in semis and final were worse than anything I've seen from Messi in our last 3 European campaigns, it's the same as the international debate, Marcelo, Benzema or Eder scoring with Ronaldo having nothing to do with those goals, not even being in the pitch, carry more weight to his legacy than Messi being player of the tournament leading Argentina into a WC final.

And yes, he didn't score, Xavi only to scored a goal to be player of the tournament in 2008.
"Leading them to the final" :houllier::lol::lol:

Even Messi knows he didn't deserve that award.

SportingCP96

Supports
Tone it down a bit friend. You are coming across as very childish here.
That was the point because his "arguments" were coming off a bit trollish hence why I hate this thread sometimes.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
That was the point because his "arguments" were coming off a bit trollish hence why I hate this thread sometimes.
Trolling is marking a difference in international performance because one won a final he barely played in, and the other lost a WC final and multiple Copa America finals.

SportingCP96

Supports
Trolling is marking a difference in international performance because one won a final he barely played in, and the other lost a WC final and multiple Copa America finals.
Trolling is bringing up KO round goals when one has 0 and the other has wait for it....1. Among some of the other things you say.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You are so unbelievably funny :lol: Completely proved his point. Think I've never seen somebody with a more superficial understanding of football than you. By the way, have you ever participated in a football match yourself? It feels like your complete idea of football is derived from Captain Tsubasa or something like this.
If you’re only resorting to childish insults, we know who’s the one who adds nothing to the debate.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Trolling is bringing up KO round goals when one has 0 and the other has wait for it....1. Among some of the other things you say.
I'm just pointing how absurd it is to claim someone who had the options to deliver in a lot of clutch moments and failed like the rest as the best hands down.

No doubt about it?, well for example him not scoring for Portugal in one of those games is something that probably irks him more than anyone, finals and big games were he was a non factor? he has as many as Messi.

Edit: And for the sake of being more objective, I'd even put Iniesta above Messi and Ronaldo, he may not have scored loads (even though he scored a single goal that both Leo and Cris would trade for 300 goals of their careers), but he also almost always showed up big in the biggest games, from 2006 to 2015.

Be it UCL semifinals, 3 finals, a WC final, clasicos and so on... he probably never reached the single game peak of Messi or Ronaldo but you could count on him to be a key player in any moment.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan

Leading Argentina to a WC final? The tournament where he didn’t score a single goal in the knockout stage? :lol:

If you’re going to nitpick each game, how about the utter incompetence of Ovebro in the Scandal of Stamford Bridge? One Messi CL win struck off the record cos he needed the referee to come to his rescue?

You’ve seen more from Messi in your last 3 FAILED CL campaigns? You mean like missing that sitter against Roma with minutes to go?

RepardReece

Funny how you've completely ignored my question, I'll ask it again:

If Messi dribbles and loses possession from 30 yards out, whilst Ronaldo shoots from 30 yards out and the shot was saved.

How was what Messi done any more effective/efficient/better than what Ronaldo did? The result is both gave away possession.

Just because Messi only shoots from better positions, that doesn't make him a better finisher.
Just read this. The difference is Messi can dribble from 30 yards out and get into a better position to shoot, at which he does do effectively. Yes sometimes he does lose the ball but that's natural from any player, no ones got 100% dribbling. Ronaldo on the other hand can only shoot from 30 yards out and hope he scores because he's not effective at getting past players from them positions anymore.

Messi is way more complete than Ronaldo, you can't argue that and IMO the better finisher.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm just pointing how absurd it is to claim someone who had the options to deliver in a lot of clutch moments and failed like the rest as the best hands down.

No doubt about it?, well for example him not scoring for Portugal in one of those games is something that probably irks him more than anyone, finals and big games were he was a non factor? he has as many as Messi.
Everyone has on occasions failed to deliver on the biggest stage. Maradona in 1990, Zidane in CL finals with Juve.

Cristiano Ronaldo delivers more often than not, and certainly more often than Messi.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just read this. The difference is Messi can dribble from 30 yards out and get into a better position to shoot, at which he does do effectively. Yes sometimes he does lose the ball but that's natural from any player, no ones got 100% dribbling. Ronaldo on the other hand can only shoot from 30 yards out and hope he scores because he's not effective at getting past players from them positions anymore.

Messi is way more complete than Ronaldo, you can't argue that and IMO the better finisher.
If he gets into better positions and shoots and in the end doesn’t score more goals, how exactly is that more effective?

RepardReece

If he gets into better positions and shoots and in the end doesn’t score more goals, how exactly is that more effective?
Mate he's scored miles more goals than Ronaldo at the age of 31, you're forgetting that he's only just behind CR's goal tally having played just under 100 games less. How can you argue he isn't more effective? Taken less shots as well.

SportingCP96

Supports
Mate he's scored miles more goals than Ronaldo at the age of 31, you're forgetting that he's only just behind CR's goal tally having played just under 100 games less. How can you argue he isn't more effective? Taken less shots as well.
Yes 100 games less but Ronaldo first 6 years at United he was an out and out winger did not score a lot. I saw it somewhere but cant find it now but if you start at the 07 08 season his first prolific season until now the numbers are completely different. So those 100 games argument dont mean shet in the grand scheme of things.

Shinjch

Yes 100 games less but Ronaldo first 6 years at United he was an out and out winger did not score a lot. I saw it somewhere but cant find it now but if you start at the 07 08 season his first prolific season until now the numbers are completely different. So those 100 games argument dont mean shet in the grand scheme of things.
Messi started a lot of his games on the wing as well though, right?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Messi started at a much more dominant Barca side. In fact they didn’t even need him from the QF onwards for his first CL

RepardReece

Messi started as a winger. Until Pep converted him to a CF. and You're also forgetting Lionel plays deeper. He doesn't play like a striker unlike Ronaldo yet still gets the same amount of goals. Think.

SportingCP96

Supports
To an extent but Messi mostly due In part to Barcelona style of play always was in and around the box. Ronaldo up until 06/07 and especially 07/08 was a a winger through and through something Messi never was. Also if you begin comparing them to goals and assists the moment he joins Madrid it is practically identical.

SportingCP96

Supports
Messi started as a winger. Until Pep converted him to a CF. and You're also forgetting Lionel plays deeper. He doesn't play like a striker unlike Ronaldo yet still gets the same amount of goals. Think.
Messi played as an inverted winger since his youth also in a much easier league than the EPL especially in that time period. Think. Messi is and always has been a SYSTEM based player hence the difference in performance from Barca to Argentina. Think. Ronaldo by the time he retires will have played and dominated in THREE different leagues and won a CL in all 3. Like come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.