Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I typed that initially in my message, and then deleted it :lol:

Either that or when Messi Jnr or Ronaldo Jnr start their professional careers
And people will use the success of their sons to see which one had the goat gene:lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Messi has the charisma of a flower and probably cannot even talk. Ronaldo is a twat. Neither will be (a successful) coach IMO.
Neither will be a coach at all in my opinion. Also this post made me laugh out loud :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Impossible. We’ve witnessed a generational talent - both of them at the same time. We’re blessed/lucky to have seen/followed their entire careers.
I agree if you look at the players considered on the GOAT conversation Pele played in his own era , Maradona played in his own era, but us .... we have the luxury of seeing 2 of the greatest IF NOT THE greatest players the sport has ever seen AT THE SAME TIME. It’s a luxury that I am blessed to witness and I will have stories for days to tell my kids.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I agree if you look at the players considered on the GOAT conversation Pele played in his own era , Maradona played in his own era, but us .... we have the luxury of seeing 2 of the greatest IF NOT THE greatest players the sport has ever seen AT THE SAME TIME. It’s a luxury that I am blessed to witness and I will have stories for days to tell my kids.
To top it all off - they are actually completely different types of players/attackers which makes it even more interesting.

Pocho

Normal performance from Messi, two assits and two goals, nothing to brag about. He makes the team play, doesn't need to be assisted.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
A Barca vs Juventus draw in the quarters would be a disaster for Ronaldo. Juve would be pushed back all match, finish the match with 30% possession at most, barely attacking and outclassed in every part of the pitch only for the headlines to be about how Messi got the better of him like it used to happen at Madrid.

Hopefully an easy draw for once.

SportingCP96

Supports
A Barca vs Juventus draw in the quarters would be a disaster for Ronaldo. Juve would be pushed back all match, finish the match with 30% possession at most, barely attacking and outclassed in every part of the pitch only for the headlines to be about how Messi got the better of him like it used to happen at Madrid.

I agree Barca would win that tie I think Juve are still missing a few pieces to be a true contender.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

I agree Barca would win that tie I think Juve are still missing a few pieces to be a true contender.
Or we can deliver the Barça special, 60% possession, a bunch of chances per game and we end up out because we draw 1-1 at home to a penalty by Ronaldo the only time Juve put a foot in our area,

If Zalayeta could do it...

SportingCP96

Supports
Or we can deliver the Barça special, 60% possession, a bunch of chances per game and we end up out because we draw 1-1 at home to a penalty by Ronaldo the only time Juve put a foot in our area,

If Zalayeta could do it...

Only one way to find out COME ON UEFA MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Of course, people obviously won't care about the circumstances they're in though so knocking out Barcelona in this Juve team would be seen as an equal achievement to knocking out Juve in this Barca team. Odds would be awfully against him and he's had enough of that throughout the years in the Madrid-Barca rivalry already.

Having Juve draw Barca is the worst thing that can happen to Ronaldo.

SportingCP96

Supports
This thread is awfully peaceful and nice today:lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Of course, people obviously won't care about the circumstances they're in though so knocking out Barcelona in this Juve team would be seen as an equal achievement to knocking out Juve in this Barca team. Odds would be awfully against him and he's had enough of that throughout the years in the Madrid-Barca rivalry already.

Having Juve draw Barca is the worst thing that can happen to Ronaldo.
Don't think so. This is not the Barca of old and even under Pep they struggled against ultra defensive teams. Yes, the odds are in their favour but even if they would win 8/10 games just a little bit of bad luck is enough and they go out. For a short period, they even looked vulnerable today against Lyon. Cristiano thrives under such circumstances and it is another possibly career defining opportunity for him. If there's anything Juve and Ronaldo have it's ruthlessness.

The worst draw for them would probably be City since they are so incredibly good at outplaying opponents in their own box. Could imagine Liverpool as well since Juve killed Atletico through crosses and Liverpool have van Dijk and Matip at the back. Even for Ronaldo those two are hard to beat in aerial duels.

D10S_RK61

Supports
Trabzonspor

Haha that´s funny, Ronaldo wasn´t outplayed in the recent years because his teams didn´t have enough possession but because Messi simply played better in most of the games. In recent years the matchups were fairly equal in regard to the possession (also in regard to the quality of the players). The true difference was the fact that Ronaldo relies heavily on service and goals to create a real difference, while Messi is playing deeper and actually contributing to the build up of the attacks.

The last time Barca really dominated possession was probably in 2013, the year (probably the only year since 2009) in which Real won more Clasicos. There is also one small advantage in being the defensive team: Counter attacks (Ronaldo is really good at them as well, as you probably know).

It is fair enough to say that this Barca team is better than Juventus, but the last match up shows that it´s mroe complicated than just having more possession but you should know that.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Don't think so. This is not the Barca of old and even under Pep they struggled against ultra defensive teams. Yes, the odds are in their favour but even if they would win 8/10 games just a little bit of bad luck is enough and they go out. For a short period, they even looked vulnerable today against Lyon. Cristiano thrives under such circumstances and it is another possibly career defining opportunity for him. If there's anything Juve and Ronaldo have it's ruthlessness.

The worst draw for them would probably be City since they are so incredibly good at outplaying opponents in their own box. Could imagine Liverpool as well since Juve killed Atletico through crosses and Liverpool have van Dijk and Matip at the back. Even for Ronaldo those two are hard to beat in aerial duels.
I think Juve would be able to defend well vs Liverpool's attack too though.

If Juve play City it would be similar to Barca vs Inter at the Camp Nou in 2010, 15% possession. Even yesterday it was obvious Juve have serious problems to transition to attack when they're pinned back and teams press them high, with City I think they'd barely be able to leave their own half.

They'd probably have a better chance vs Barca, but it would be worse for Ronaldo. Being dominated by City would be normal, being dominated by Barca should be normal too but it would be used as an example of Messi's superiority over Ronaldo instead like it happened in Spain and he's had enough of that for a career.

I already had visions of Busquets and Arthur running circles around Emre Can and Matuidi only for the headlines to be about Messi outperforming Ronaldo :lol:

MalcolmTucker

Salah, Mbappe, Neymar, Griezmann etc can sometimes make a case for being the best footballer in the world every so often but still these two remain above the rest by a distance.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Haha that´s funny, Ronaldo wasn´t outplayed in the recent years because his teams didn´t have enough possession but because Messi simply played better in most of the games. In recent years the matchups were fairly equal in regard to the possession (also in regard to the quality of the players). The true difference was the fact that Ronaldo relies heavily on service and goals to create a real difference, while Messi is playing deeper and actually contributing to the build up of the attacks.

The last time Barca really dominated possession was probably in 2013, the year (probably the only year since 2009) in which Real won more Clasicos. There is also one small advantage in being the defensive team: Counter attacks (Ronaldo is really good at them as well, as you probably know).

It is fair enough to say that this Barca team is better than Juventus, but the last match up shows that it´s mroe complicated than just having more possession but you should know that.
Barca have dominated Madrid in 80% of the Clasicos they've played in the past 5 years, put Messi on a Madrid shirt and Ronaldo on a Barcelona shirt and the matches finish the same way. Even in games without Messi as I recall the 4-0 at the Bernabeu a few years ago.

The attacking involvement and output of a forward is largely dependant on the circumstances around them, Messi vs Ronaldo has been a battle that has very rarely been fought on even ground yet people love to compare stats and achivements as if it was.

Thinking one relies on service to score while the other doesn't is such a wrong view of how goals happen and what Ronaldo does. Did Ronaldo not participate in the build up yesterday either? Look at the play of the penalty and how it started, look at the 2-0 goal and how it started... look at the cross, movement and intelligence to recognize the mismatch for the 1-0. Was that a great cross? Was that the great service Ronaldo needs? Come on now. It's obviously a lot more complex than that.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi would have struggled with Atletico's compact defending.
Except he’s scored against them 37 times in his career. With no Filipe Luis and a declining Godin these aren’t even close to 2014-2016 Atletico

An Alone Wolf

Supports
Liverpool
Messi cuts inside too much and Ronaldo doesn't track back enough. No players with such glaring weaknesses can be considered the greatest.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Except he’s scored against them 37 times in his career. With no Filipe Luis and a declining Godin these aren’t even close to 2014-2016 Atletico
Do you believe Juventus would have gone through with Messi instead of Ronaldo yesterday? How would you see that change affecting the team overall and their strategy for the game?

They're incredibly different players and a change like that would change everything. I think Messi would hate playing next to Mario Mandzukic for example, their whole idea of having Cancelo and Spinazzola high up the pitch would make no sense without a Ronaldo in the box, one less body for the set piece fight...

You start asking these questions and trying to fit these two players into different contexts and then understand their impact and rather than judge them on their offensive production and how amazing they are, you judge them by the impact they have on their teams and the whole game.

The way I see it, this version of Messi couldn't do what Ronaldo did yesterday and this version of Ronaldo couldn't do what Messi did today.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Except that's false.

He scored 28 times against Atletico. If I recall he already had 17 or 18 goals against them before Simeone took over.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Do you believe Juventus would have gone through with Messi instead of Ronaldo yesterday? How would you see that change affecting the team overall and their strategy for the game?

They're incredibly different players and a change like that would change everything. I think Messi would hate playing next to Mario Mandzukic for example, their whole idea of having Cancelo and Spinazzola high up the pitch would make no sense without a Ronaldo in the box, one less body for the set piece fight...

You start asking these questions and trying to fit these two players into different contexts and then understand their impact and rather than judge them on their offensive production and how amazing they are, you judge them by the impact they have on their teams and the whole game.

The way I see it, this version of Messi couldn't do what Ronaldo did yesterday and this version of Ronaldo couldn't do what Messi did today.
I think Barca can beat this version of Atletico over two legs however if Barca are down 0-2 to Atletico heading into Camp Nou I’m not sure they get 3 even with Messi.

Ronaldo is better against parked buses than Messi because of his heading ability. Messi however is crowded a lot more than Ronaldo is due to their positions on the pitch.

I agree though, Messi probably couldn’t do what Ronaldo did yesterday and Ronaldo probably doesn’t do what Messi did today.

Red Stone

No hat-tricks and only one brace against Simeone's Atletico. 11 goals in total in the eight years and three months since Simeone took over, in 24 games. Ronaldo has 21 goals, four hat-tricks and one brace in 28 games and curiously also has more assists than Messi.

Ronaldo is clearly a more effective player against teams that play a predominantly defensive game. Not really surprising considering his aerial prowess, since high balls into the box are the best way to cause chaos against teams that set up a fortress inside their own box. Nevertheless bagging a total of four hat-tricks against a team like that is astonishing. I wonder if any other player has even one?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
No hat-tricks and only one brace against Simeone's Atletico. 11 goals in total in the eight years and three months since Simeone took over, in 24 games. Ronaldo has 21 goals, four hat-tricks and one brace in 28 games and curiously also has more assists than Messi.

Ronaldo is clearly a more effective player against teams that play a predominantly defensive game. Not really surprising considering his aerial prowess, since high balls into the box are the best way to cause chaos against teams that set up a fortress inside their own box. Nevertheless bagging a total of four hat-tricks against a team like that is astonishing. I wonder if any other player has even one?
Atletico have conceded four hattricks during Simeone's tenure, Ronaldo scored them all. All of them were in pretty important games too.

They've definitely been able to shut him down a few times too though but I think there's a lot of truth in saying Ronaldo fares better against these sort of teams (Atletico, Juve). Messi-led Barcelona have been shut down by these defensive teams a bit too much in the CL. Inter 2010, Chelsea 2012, Atletico 2014, Atletico 2016, Juve 2017... they do extremely well vs Atletico in the league though.

Status
Not open for further replies.