Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K13

Ronaldo will 100% go the Euro. I think as for the World Cup he would 37 at that point and that might be where he cant make it. Though for the WC it would not surprise me to see him get called up and have a super sub role coming off the bench or something along those lines. Calling up the greatest Portuguese player to ever do it for one last rodeo.

No doubt this is his last Euro though which makes me sad to be quite honest:(

I have some blinded faith he will still be banging goals in at 37:lol: (I know probably not).
It was unthinkable not that long ago that dynamic players could prolong their career as long as he has. It is just incredible. I am really keen to see what he does next year and if he can still maintain it at 35 and it seems to take him a season to find his feet. There does not appear to be any let up so we could be in for more of the same.

Messi also has no right to still be doing what he is doing 51 goals and 19 assists last season - it is just unbelievable.

They both have alot of miles on the clock so to still be banging in the goals at such a rate is just frightening.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo will 100% go the Euro. I think as for the World Cup he would 37 at that point and that might be where he cant make it. Though for the WC it would not surprise me to see him get called up and have a super sub role coming off the bench or something along those lines. Calling up the greatest Portuguese player to ever do it for one last rodeo.

No doubt this is his last Euro though which makes me sad to be quite honest:(

I have some blinded faith he will still be banging goals in at 37:lol: (I know probably not).
Ronaldo is still in great fitness. I could see him being on the plane in 2022.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ronaldo is still in great fitness. I could see him being on the plane in 2022.
Realistically I think so too but that would surely be his last WC and outing with his country in any major tournament.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It was unthinkable not that long ago that dynamic players could prolong their career as long as he has. It is just incredible. I am really keen to see what he does next year and if he can still maintain it at 35 and it seems to take him a season to find his feet. There does not appear to be any let up so we could be in for more of the same.

Messi also has no right to still be doing what he is doing 51 goals and 19 assists last season - it is just unbelievable.

They both have alot of miles on the clock so to still be banging in the goals at such a rate is just frightening.
Phenoms both of them. Which is why they are both in my top 3.

He'sRaldo

Well I like Ronaldo for another reason, when he is 19-24, he is actually one of the most electrifying and talented player I've ever watched.

But at the age of 24-28, for me this is actually the best version of Ronaldo, a combination of pace, skill, strength, trickery, athleticism, energy, drive, determination, consistency, explosiveness and of course, insane no. of goals too. Many have already forget this version of Ronaldo, he was unstoppable and unplayable at that time, a real beast. This version of Ronaldo, IMHO, is every bit as good as any of the GOAT in the past. Look, most of the GOAT in the past, only able to maintain 4 or 5 years at their very peak, if we only count this version of Ronaldo (24-28 years of age) vs other GOAT (4 or 5 years at their very peak), I have no doubt you people would rate him much higher in your list.

At age of 29-34, is actually the Ronaldo we all know, great goalscorer, a machine, probably the most impactful and successful player in the game, but less talented, less skilful, and getting less involved in build-up play too. I understand why people don't rate this version of Ronaldo. But at the same time, he has evolved into the most determined, most clutch, and a truly big game player in the world. This version of Ronaldo, has in fact, given me most wow moments, out of any players I've watched in the past. That 17 CL run, scoring 2 or 3 goals in every match, from quarters, to semi, to final, against the best team with best defence in Europe, is truly insane. And then of course the Euro, the CL three-peat, the 5th Ballon D'or etc. Even in the recent year, that bicycle kick vs Juventus, that hattrick vs Spain, and that hattrick vs Atletico, and most recently, that hattrick vs Switzerland, left me with my jaw dropped.

Look I totally respect others of choosing Messi over Ronaldo. For those who don't understand why we rate Ronaldo highly, we have our own strong reason too.
People keep forgetting that Ronaldo was a proper winger in his physical prime, and keep reducing him to a poacher just because he aged.

I still maintain that getting all those goals from wide was immense, and I still haven't seen anyone replicate it yet.

VanKenny

Guys, say whatever you want to say, compara managers, teammates, trophies, goals scored, assists, twitter accounts... At the end of the day Messi was, is and will always be a better football player than CR7. Just let it be.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Thanks for sharing that. You are right there is alot of talent there and it is really nice to hear someone explain why they love him as a player in such an articulate manner. Often when we debate the best / greatest it turns into he won this or that so it is a nice change from the norm.

Ultimately it is just as important to consider the impact of something they have done on us as individuals. It is wonderful that you have been so inspired by Ronaldo and that he has given you such great off your seat moments. I can clearly see why you love him and believe him to be the greatest. My favourite goal was his salmon leap against Porto in the CL in 2008. Yes you are right he has had to reinvent himself from a winger to the ice cold clinical finisher as well. He is more than a self made player without doubt with a sharp intellect on and of the pitch and loads of natural talent. He is without doubt the best long range shooter I have seen as well as one of the best goal scorers. The power and swerve he gets is incredible.

I love all of what Ronaldo does but I love Messi just a little bit more because of the way he makes me feel as well.

I can't thank you enough for sharing that - I feel quite nostalgic now.
Yeh good to know you are open to sharing. I think being honest is another way to open up discussion, rather than doing endless comparison.
Maybe when both Messi and Ronaldo both retired, we will start look at things differently. Right now there's lot of toxicity in the endless Ronaldo vs Messi debate, but in all honesty, I do enjoy watching Messi dribbling and playmaking too, who wouldn't? But I also grew abit disappointed he can't achieve more with Argentina (my childhood hero was Maradona, so you can see why), but at the same time amazed by the level of consistency he has maintained, in both scoring goals, dribbling and creating chances with through balls, over all these years. I like watching Ronaldo all round attacking style in his mid-20s prime, it was actually my favourite type of football style, a super human type of footballer who combines everything, of which I've not seen before, but grew abit disappointed when he start focusing more on goalscoring part and less in his all round game too, but I also understand why he choose to go that path (he is obsessed in winning more Ballon D'or when he was behind Messi 1-4, apparently only scoring more goals and winning more CL can guarantee him winning more Ballon D'or), so I admire the way he did achieved more after reinventing himself in his later years. Its just amazing, to witness all of that.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Well I like Ronaldo for another reason, when he is 19-24, he is actually one of the most electrifying and talented player I've ever watched.

But at the age of 24-28, for me this is actually the best version of Ronaldo, a combination of pace, skill, strength, trickery, athleticism, energy, drive, determination, consistency, explosiveness and of course, insane no. of goals too. Many have already forget this version of Ronaldo, he was unstoppable and unplayable at that time, a real beast. This version of Ronaldo, IMHO, is every bit as good as any of the GOAT in the past. Look, most of the GOAT in the past, only able to maintain 4 or 5 years at their very peak, if we only count this version of Ronaldo (24-28 years of age) vs other GOAT (4 or 5 years at their very peak), I have no doubt you people would rate him much higher in your list.

At age of 29-34, is actually the Ronaldo we all know, great goalscorer, a machine, probably the most impactful and successful player in the game, but less talented, less skilful, and getting less involved in build-up play too. I understand why people don't rate this version of Ronaldo. But at the same time, he has evolved into the most determined, most clutch, and a truly big game player in the world. This version of Ronaldo, has in fact, given me most wow moments, out of any players I've watched in the past. That 17 CL run, scoring 2 or 3 goals in every match, from quarters, to semi, to final, against the best team with best defence in Europe, is truly insane. And then of course the Euro, the CL three-peat, the 5th Ballon D'or etc. Even in the recent year, that bicycle kick vs Juventus, that hattrick vs Spain, and that hattrick vs Atletico, and most recently, that hattrick vs Switzerland, left me with my jaw dropped.

Look I totally respect others of choosing Messi over Ronaldo. For those who don't understand why we rate Ronaldo highly, we have our own strong reason too.
I have a similar view on Ronaldo, when he was younger he seemed more skillful but as he grew up he chose to develop his game in a form he would be more determinant in the game, he's not as flashy but he's more effective now than when he was younger. So I rate him as both a talented and intelligent player and a very complete forward. That's why someone like Simeone said something in the lines of Ronaldo being a better pick, over Messi, for an average team (or just any side without world class players in every position) because of his skill set and playstyle.

Anyway I still see Ronaldo and Messi as different type of players, so anyone can have their own opinion but it's very clear both are the best of this generation by quite some margine, there's no comparison with the rest so I also think it's silly to not rate Ronaldo as one of the best players ever even if you prefer Messi. Lastly I don't think is correct to use popularity as a metric to say one is better than the other.

A-boateng

How can two players that don't even play for United get that music discussion and debate?

Plus everybody's mind is made up on who they prefer so whats the point of trying to convince one another?

K13

Yeh good to know you are open to sharing. I think being honest is another way to open up discussion, rather than doing endless comparison.
Maybe when both Messi and Ronaldo both retired, we will start look at things differently. Right now there's lot of toxicity in the endless Ronaldo vs Messi debate, but in all honesty, I do enjoy watching Messi dribbling and playmaking too, who wouldn't? But I also grew abit disappointed he can't achieve more with Argentina (my childhood hero was Maradona, so you can see why), but at the same time amazed by the level of consistency he has maintained, in both scoring goals, dribbling and creating chances with through balls, over all these years. I like watching Ronaldo all round attacking style in his mid-20s prime, it was actually my favourite type of football style, a super human type of footballer who combines everything, of which I've not seen before, but grew abit disappointed when he start focusing more on goalscoring part and less in his all round game too, but I also understand why he choose to go that path (he is obsessed in winning more Ballon D'or when he was behind Messi 1-4, apparently only scoring more goals and winning more CL can guarantee him winning more Ballon D'or), so I admire the way he did achieved more after reinventing himself in his later years. Its just amazing, to witness all of that.
I think that is a really good way of looking at things. He scored 40 odd goals in his last season with us and some of them were absolutely brilliant but I felt - like you - there was more to his game before RM. His interplay with Rooney was just wonderful - especially on the counter attack when they use to pass and move at such pace. I can completely understand why you fell in love with his style of play because it was so dynamic especially when in tandem with Rooney.

Argentina and Maradona. 1986 is obviously legendary but I also remember how he linked up with Caniggia at the WC in 1990 and I think if Caniggia had not been suspended then Argentina they would have gone onto win again because Maradona really bought out the very best in Caniggia.

I agree re his obsession with the Baloon'D'or and the goal scoring as I think it took away some of his natural creativity and interplay. Like you I understand why he did.

We can agree that they are both exceptional players and goal scorers. I have changed my mind over Ronaldo's overall rank. I had forgotten many of the things he had done and whilst I still prefer Messi I would now rank Ronaldo in my top 5 instead of my top 10. So thanks for enlightening me.

Tostao_80

Guys, say whatever you want to say, compara managers, teammates, trophies, goals scored, assists, twitter accounts... At the end of the day Messi was, is and will always be a better football player than CR7. Just let it be.
People are entitled to have their own opinions, even if they go against the general grain. But, like most, I see Leo as a transcendent footballer, that's why I consider him to be in the pantheon (and the GOAT). No amount of goals, CLs or achievements will do him justice. Like Pep once said, just watch him play and you will realise the mans genius.
I can, on the other hand appreciate Cristiano's greatness. He is definitely one of the greatest ever, not sure there anyone on here that doubts that. He's just been unfortunate to coincide with a greater talent.

VanKenny

People are entitled to have their own opinions, even if they go against the general grain. But, like most, I see Leo as a transcendent footballer, that's why I consider him to be in the pantheon (and the GOAT). No amount of goals, CLs or achievements will do him justice. Like Pep once said, just watch him play and you will realise the mans genius.
I can, on the other hand appreciate Cristiano's greatness. He is definitely one of the greatest ever, not sure there anyone on here that doubts that. He's just been unfortunate to coincide with a greater talent.
I absolutely agree. CR7 is a machine, im sure people will talk about him in the future the way we currently talk about Di Stefano, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, etc i mean absolute legends of the sport. The "Demigoats" for a lack of a better word. He's at that level.

So a comfortably top 7 player of all time IMO. Debatable anywhere between 4-7.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Guys, VanKenny has said it. He pointed out something nobody has ever thought about before posting here. Close this 480 page thread and peace out.

Saffron

People may laugh that it’s sportsbible but they are covering a tweet that looks at all the major pundits/former players and their opinion of Messi vs Ronaldo

It’s not very close...

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...s-pick-messi-as-goat-20190620?source=facebook
Don’t sell yourself short, SportsBible is irrelevant here, they’re just reporting on a factual source. Which is here:

Incredible. Just look at those quotes.

Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Beckham, Wenger. Mourinho. Even the real Ronaldo says Messi is better.

Roy Keane: "I was a big fan of Maradona growing up and of the current crop Ronaldo is good but Messi is the best I’ve ever seen. I don’t dish out praise lightly but Messi deserves it. I look for weaknesses in his game and I can’t find them."

Pocho

Don’t sell yourself short, SportsBible is irrelevant here, they’re just reporting on a factual source. Which is here:

Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Beckham, Wenger. Mourinho. Even the real Ronaldo says Messi is better.

Roy Keane: "I was a big fan of Maradona growing up and of the current crop Ronaldo is good but Messi is the best I’ve ever seen. I don’t dish out praise lightly but Messi deserves it. I look for weaknesses in his game and I can’t find them."
but but but Ronaldo jumps higher!!

Cal?

CR7 fan
Oh dear, back to the random quoting with him looking less than clever for Argentina (again!!)? :lol:

Saffron

Oh dear, back to the random quoting with him looking less than clever for Argentina (again!!)? :lol:
That Argentina team is a joke mate, I don’t even recognize 4-5 players in their lineup. Never seen their names before.

It’s been well established that Argentina suffer much more without Messi than Portugal without Ronaldo. Portugal even won €1 without him.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That Argentina team is a joke mate, I don’t even recognize 4-5 players in their lineup. Never seen their names before.

It’s been well established that Argentina suffer much more without Messi than Portugal without Ronaldo. Portugal even won €1 without him.
That's just another internet myth perpetuated by the Messi brigade, like how Higuain is all that is wrong with the world.

If I was Dybala, I'd refuse to play for Argentina until Messi retires again.

MJJ

Fallon d flor.

I am convinced you are ten.

Saffron

That's just another internet myth perpetuated by the Messi brigade, like how Higuain is all that is wrong with the world.

No it isn’t.

And you can’t expect a 32 year old to carry his team to a major international title. It has never happened in the history of the sport. Even Pelé was only 29 in his last WC win.

Players who were 32 or older have won, but never as the main talisman througout the tournament and having an impact in the final.

Messi reached a WC final and was player of the tournament. That’s more than decent.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
No it isn’t.

And you can’t expect a 32 year old to carry his team to a major international title. It has never happened in the history of the sport. Even Pelé was only 29 in his last WC win.

Players who were 32 or older have won, but never as the main talisman througout the tournament and having an impact in the final.

Messi reached a WC final and was player of the tournament. That’s more than decent.
Oh the change in tune

Cal?

CR7 fan
No it isn’t.

Ronaldo was 31 when he won the Euro. :rolleyes:

Messi got to the WC final without scoring a single goal in the knockout stage, Argentina's dysfunctional team somehow not conceeding a single goal until ET in the final. Messi must have been a one man defense.

Saffron

Ronaldo was 31 when he won the Euro. :rolleyes:

Messi got to the WC final without scoring a single goal in the knockout stage, Argentina's dysfunctional team somehow not conceeding a single goal until ET in the final. Messi must have been a one man defense.
That’s a paper win if I ever saw one. Scored the same amount as Nani throughout the entire tournament (3) and went missing in the final. Only 1 goal in the knockout stage. Meanwhile Messi scored 4 in WC 2014.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona

Argentina's record in 2018 WCQ qualifying (W-D-L):

Without Messi 1-4-3

With Messi 6-3-1

Meanwhile, Portugal won the euros final and reached the nations league semis without Ronaldo

Just a "myth" though

Cal?

CR7 fan
That’s a paper win if I ever saw one. Scored the same amount as Nani throughout the entire tournament (3) and went missing in the final. Only 1 goal in the knockout stage. Meanwhile Messi scored 4 in WC 2014.
:lol: went missing :lol:

What Messi did, again and again with Argentina in each final is called going missing, especially missing the penalty.

Saffron

:lol: went missing :lol:

What Messi did, again and again with Argentina in each final is called going missing, especially missing the penalty.
Ronaldo has 0 goals and 0 assists in all 3 international finals for Portugal :lol:

Pocho

Argentina's record in 2018 WCQ qualifying (W-D-L):

Without Messi 1-4-3

With Messi 6-3-1

Meanwhile, Portugal won the euros final and reached the nations league semis without Ronaldo

Just a "myth" though
This thread is absurd. There is no comparison between the GOAT and a great goalscorer.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This thread is absurd. There is no comparison between the GOAT and a great goalscorer.
The typical Messi brigade reply, when all else fails, just state their opinion again and again. :houllier:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I absolutely agree. CR7 is a machine, im sure people will talk about him in the future the way we currently talk about Di Stefano, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, etc i mean absolute legends of the sport. The "Demigoats" for a lack of a better word. He's at that level.

So a comfortably top 7 player of all time IMO. Debatable anywhere between 4-7.
Di Stefano, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Pele, other Ronaldo, Maradona, Messi ...... (I'll leave out Baresi, Platini, Maldini and a few others).

Curious. Which of those do you see CR as better than ?

Tostao_80

At least he didn't sabotage his team by missing a crucial penalty. :lol:
This post really sums up the hypocrisy of Cristiano fans. You know that Cristiano has missed big penalties in the past, in big games too, like the CL final of 2008 right?

Tostao_80

Di Stefano, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Pele, other Ronaldo, Maradona, Messi ...... (I'll leave out Baresi, Platini, Maldini and a few others).

Curious. Which of those do you see CR as better than ?
5th behind thd obvious 3 and Cruyff. Cruyff didn't need goals in order to show he was the best. He was a master on the pitch. Still, 5th best player of all is not bad going, considering his talent. He should be proud.

Lebo

They're favourites because of their historic status. Every football fan and their dog knew they had no chance in Russia last year nor this year in Brazil.

I also rejected the "with world class players" argument two posts ago and you didn't comment on it. Messi has never had any legitimate world class goalkeeper, defender or midfielder to play with as far as I can remember.
Argentina reached the final because of their brilliant defense. Forget individual names and check the actual performance. What failed that team is their attack. What exactly was the defense supposed to do? They conceded 1 goal from last 16 to final playing to extra time in 3 /4 games. Attack on the other hand scored a total of 2 goals in 450min.

Saffron

The typical Messi brigade reply, when all else fails, just state their opinion again and again. :houllier:
I suggests you have a look at some of the quotes by the pros and managers in that Twitter thread. Here’s one:

”For many years I’ve been saying that he [Messi] is the best I've ever seen. For me he is the most complete player I have ever seen and he is better than Maradona. Comparing CR7 to Messi is an exercise of ignorance in football. Messi is Messi and others, footballers.”

But yeah, I suppose the upper echelons of football greats must be infested by Messi brigadists.

Status
Not open for further replies.