Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladron de redcafe

You're still pretending you didn't allege Ronaldo fought a teammate for penalties.

I've been on this thread long before you, so you can move on if you can't prove your claim. :smirk:
Oh goody. You made up a claim that you can't back and decided to ask my to move along because you "were on this thread" long before me.

My claim is a pretty simple one. Anyone who watched the Xabi Alonso one knows what I'm talking about. But I'm still waiting for your evidence. If you don't provide it, that's tacit admission that you made it up.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
You find facts funny? :rolleyes:
Put it this way. If in a parallel universe, Argentina beat Wales in the World Cup after Wales beat Belgium in the previous round 3-1, you would not describe it as ‘thrashing’ and you would certainly use it against Messi since Wales are minnows on the international stage. Surely you can admit that.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Oh goody. You made up a claim that you can't back and decided to ask my to move along because you "were on this thread" long before me.

My claim is a pretty simple one. Anyone who watched the Xabi Alonso one knows what I'm talking about. But I'm still waiting for your evidence. If you don't provide it, that's tacit admission that you made it up.
Do post some kind of video evidence they fought or even an article.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Put it this way. If in a parallel universe, Argentina beat Wales in the World Cup after Wales beat Belgium in the previous round 3-1, you would not describe it as ‘thrashing’ and you would certainly use it against Messi since Wales are minnows on the international stage. Surely you can admit that.
Doesn't change the fact of what I posted. Wales dispatched Belgium with ease.

Ladron de redcafe

Doesn't change the fact of what I posted. Wales dispatched Belgium with ease.
And it doesn't change the fact that Ronaldo was on the sidelines when they won the final against the toughest team they faced the entire tournament.

Cal?

CR7 fan
And it doesn't change the fact that Ronaldo was on the sidelines when they won the final against the toughest team they faced the entire tournament.
or the fact Messi did nothing in 120 minutes against the toughest team they faced in the tournament.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Everyone knew the rules heading into the tournament, the point of the group stage is to qualify for the next round, there's no luck involved. If only the top 2 qualify, they would have gone for it in the final group game and not just played out the draw.

Yet Ronaldo was the topscorer for Portugal who WON the Euro
So you are saying Portugal purposely finished 3rd? Yeah top scorer by scoring 3 goals in the group stages against below average teams. Christ almighty, you have some of the worst arguments I have ever seen and are the most biased Ronaldo fan boy of the lot.

Ladron de redcafe

Where's your proof he fought Alonso? Me also waiting.
As I explained to you in basic English, I'll do so as soon as you prove your claim. If you can't provide an iota of evidence to back up something you made up, don't waste my time asking for the Alonso video (which is all over the internet, anyways).

We're going in circles. If you can't provide actual proof to back up what you said, we have nothing to talk about here.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So you are saying Portugal purposely finished 3rd? Yeah top scorer by scoring 3 goals in the group stages against below average teams. Christ almighty, you have some of the worst arguments I have ever seen and are the most biased Ronaldo fan boy of the lot.
I'm saying they did what they needed to qualify, if the rules had been different, they may have set up differently.

Ladron de redcafe

He neither scored or assisted, you know, goals matter in football, not dribbling or having a style that is aesthetically pleasing.
Sure. Individual performances matter as well. You need to learn the difference between fact and opinion.

Cal?

CR7 fan
As I explained to you in basic English, I'll do so as soon as you prove your claim. If you can't provide an iota of evidence to back up something you made up, don't waste my time asking for the Alonso video (which is all over the internet, anyways).

We're going in circles. If you can't provide actual proof to back up what you said, we have nothing to talk about here.
Same to you, bye

RUCK4444

I wouldn't have it anywhere near the top just because they're in team sports. So much of their results "against" each other are dictated by the other 20 players on the pitch.

What we've seen in men's tennis the last 10 - 15 years has been a much greater rivalry.
You can argue single player sports has more pressure but at the same time football is the most popular sport in the world. These are two players at the very top of that sport.

What Ronnie and Messi have achieved is greater than any tennis player of the last 10-15 years, but that’s just my opinion.

I do like tennis and agree there has been an incredible level of talent among the top players.
But Messi Vs Ronaldo transcends say Federer Vs Nadal as a rivalry, to a bigger audience and in a more competitive sport.

Ladron de redcafe

You can argue single player sports has more pressure but at the same time football is the most popular sport in the world. These are two players at the very top of that sport.

What Ronnie and Messi have achieved is greater than any tennis player of the last 10-15 years, but that’s just my opinion.

I do like tennis and agree there has been an incredible level of talent among the top players.
But Messi Vs Ronaldo transcends say Federer Vs Nadal as a rivalry, to a bigger audience and in a more competitive sport.
Isn't it the other way around? When you have an off day or underperform in football, your teammates can carry you. In tennis, you're on your own. No coaching. No teammates. You're exposed.

The GrandSlam record prior to Federer and Nadal was Sampras' 14. They've both shattered that.

RUCK4444

Isn't it the other way around? When you have an off day or underperform in football, your teammates can carry you. In tennis, you're on your own. No coaching. No teammates. You're exposed.

The GrandSlam record prior to Federer and Nadal was Sampras' 14. They've both shattered that.
Yeah I didn’t say it was easier, what I said is football is more competitive, being the most popular sport in the world.

Tennis is relatively ‘niche’ in comparison.

Ladron de redcafe

Yeah I didn’t say it was easier, what I said is football is more competitive, being the most popular sport in the world.

Tennis is relatively ‘niche’ in comparison.
That's the old MMA Vs boxing debate. I can't say you're wrong but I always figure that the only comparison that can be made is between two sportsmen within their sport.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No idea why you would even waste your time with a post that doesn't address anything I've posted. Messi was giving away penalties, including to Ibrahimovic while Cristiano was fighting with teammates to take them.

Messi was focusing on creating goals while Cristiano had no interest in doing anything but waiting on the 2 yard line.
:lol:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The fact that a United forum thinks Messi is that far ahead tells you everything you need to know.
Most people that are not Man United, Porto, Real Madrid or Portugal fans will say Messi. However there is also a lot of English/PL bias from people I know, who are none of the aforementioned, that say Ronaldo is better because he has done it in the PL. But these are usually people who are biased to saying the PL is the best league in the world as they want to be able to say their club is in the best league in the world.

Bias aside, most people will tend to say Messi, however, this doesn't make it a fact. It is all about opinion at the end of the day, which is why this debate will never end.

Ladron de redcafe

Most people that are not Man United, Porto, Real Madrid or Portugal fans will say Messi. However there is also a lot of English/PL bias from people I know who are none of the aforementioned that say Ronaldo is better because he has done it in the PL. But these are usually people who are biased to saying the PL is the best league in the world as they want to be able to say their club is in the best league in the world.

Bias aside, most people will tend to say Messi, however, this doesn't make it a fact. It is all about opinion at the end of the day, which is why this debate will never end.
I agree with everything here. Sports debates are always going to be opinion-based, as you said. We tend to look at the general consensus, but there will always be some discussion regarding all time rankings in any sport, because of the variegation of viewpoints.

Pocho

Most people that are not Man United, Porto, Real Madrid or Portugal fans will say Messi. However there is also a lot of English/PL bias from people I know, who are none of the aforementioned, that say Ronaldo is better because he has done it in the PL. But these are usually people who are biased to saying the PL is the best p league in the world as they want to be able to say their club is in the best league in the world.

The Premier League is the best league in the world since a couple of years now, but it wasn´t the best league when CR played there.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Completely agree. Once is clearly better and has been for the past decade or so. This feels like a Kobe Vs LeBron debate after 2009, when the NBA was desperate for a rivalry despite the fact that by that point, LeBron was clearly a better player. Just like Messi, when LeBron superceded Kobe Bryant, he never looked back and the "rivalry" never made any sense.
:lol: :lol:

LeBron was better only after Kobe suffered injuries, before that he was schooled by Kobe everytime those 2 met.

But since my father is in hospital because of heart condition, this was much needed laugh, thanks man, keep up!

Marwood

But there is no actual Messi vs Ronaldo for large chunks of their careers. Like right now for example.It's just been a reputation debate. Fans using team achievements to decide who the better individual is.

Imagine if Federer and Nadal had played in different leagues for years, hadn't faced each other. Would you call that a rivalry?

Then when they did play each other it was in the doubles.

So that's why I couldn't class it an all time great rivalry. There's been many in individual sports that surpass it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.