Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
See the links above in my previous post. They contain more proof than you need)
It is already public info that he was rejected by Real, PSG, Chelsea etc.. and he joined United with last minute intervention. City only decided to join after failing to sign Kane and did not even agree with Juve on a transfer fee unlike United..
As I thought, links from goal.com and ESPN mean nothing.

shamans

Don’t be so thick @kc7 already has all the proof which has been common knowledge for some time.

but go ahead and take the Trump route of “fake news” :lol:
I've noticed your posts getting more and more aggressive. It's understandable -- your idol and mister football went on to join a farmers league and bankrupted his boyhood club due to pure greed. I understand your anger, just take deep breaths.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I've noticed your posts getting more and more aggressive. It's understandable -- your idol and mister football went on to join a farmers league and bankrupted his boyhood club due to pure greed. I understand your anger, just take deep breaths.
Not aggressive at all, you’re the one getting defensive and deflecting because you have no counter. You get shown proof and have zero comeback because countless times you’ve been proven wrong over and over and over.

And Messi didn’t bankrupt the club, Barto did with awful contracts to Griezmann, dembele and coutinho and Roberto.

I’m sorry your idol took a team that won 9 serie a in a row to a fourth place finish and bounced even willing to join a huge rival until a retired manager had to slap some sense into him. Just relax, it’ll be fine.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Guys guys guys guys. I dont think ye lot really understand how lucky we are to still have both Messi and Ronaldo playing. Just enjoy them whilst we have them. Its splitting hairs in regard to one of them being proclaimed as the GOAT.

They'll always be equal in my eyes. :angel:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Not aggressive at all, you’re the one getting defensive and deflecting because you have no counter. You get shown proof and have zero comeback because countless times you’ve been proven wrong over and over and over.

And Messi didn’t bankrupt the club, Barto did with awful contracts to Griezmann, dembele and coutinho and Roberto.

I’m sorry your idol took a team that won 9 serie a in a row to a fourth place finish and bounced even willing to join a huge rival until a retired manager had to slap some sense into him. Just relax, it’ll be fine.
So Cristiano was going to betray United until the last minute and Messi found out that he was leaving Barcelona in August and at lightning speed all contracts were closed with PSG? :p

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
So Cristiano was going to betray United until the last minute and Messi found out that he was leaving Barcelona in August and at lightning speed all contracts were closed with PSG? :p
When money can be agreed upon in a hurry of course contracts can be done quickly.

Look at how quickly Ronaldo’s contract was done with United. Ronaldo was 100% going to betray United until Fergie stepped in. Pep even said a deal was done and everything. Messi would never ever entertain going to Madrid. Barca fans can be more sore about psg but the reality it’s not as big of a rivalry as people may think. Barto just destroyed the team himself.

shamans

Yeah excuse me for not taking "goal" seriously.

I see you're trying to cope with Messi playing in farmers league while Ronaldo is playing in a serious league. I mean who could this happen.

The fact he run the Barca club into financial ruin is what takes the cake really

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah excuse me for not taking "goal" seriously.

I see you're trying to cope with Messi playing in farmers league while Ronaldo is playing in a serious league. I mean who could this happen.

The fact he run the Barca club into financial ruin is what takes the cake really
Constantly deflecting yet again :lol:

Just give up man, I get that you’re one of those tin foil hat people who doesn’t believe anything and that you know it all but you’re way off the mark. Do some research know and again and there is absolutely no shame in admitting you’ve been wrong. It’s just a discussion.

Sorry to hear your idol was had zero issue with going to rival. Fergie saved his entire united legacy.

shamans

When money can be agreed upon in a hurry of course contracts can be done quickly.

Look at how quickly Ronaldo’s contract was done with United. Ronaldo was 100% going to betray United until Fergie stepped in. Pep even said a deal was done and everything. Messi would never ever entertain going to Madrid. Barca fans can be more sore about psg but the reality it’s not as big of a rivalry as people may think. Barto just destroyed the team himself.
First you gotta pick a story. Did Ronaldo reject city or did city reject Ronaldo ?

shamans

Constantly deflecting yet again :lol:

Just give up man, I get that you’re one of those tin foil hat people who doesn’t believe anything and that you know it all but you’re way off the mark. Do some research know and again and there is absolutely no shame in admitting you’ve been wrong. It’s just a discussion.

Sorry to hear your idol was had zero issue with going to rival. Fergie saved his entire united legacy.
Too bad no one did that for Messi. Now he has tarnished himself in Ligue 1 taking on the might Lille!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Too bad no one did that for Messi. Now he has tarnished himself in Ligue 1 taking on the might Lille!
Wrong again. Messi was sought after by Chelsea as well, and Pep had been constantly asking about him as recently as April but Messi told him he was staying with Barca.

and Ronaldo just went to serie A to a team that won 9 serie A and gave them their worst finish in over a decade. Zero room to talk farmers league when psg didn’t even win the title last season and this was before Messi.

I never said City rejected Ronaldo, just that they were wavering on him because they were indecisive. Giving a 37 year old the biggest contract in epl history is beyond insane, but you can never put a price on nostalgia. Messi is still at a ballon d’or level at least. And his international trophy is a more meaningful one than anything Ronaldo has won in 3 years now.

You need to do some research instead of spouting nonsense. You even said I said City rejected Ronaldo which I never did. Work on your reading comprehension my friend. It will go a long way in this debate I can assure you.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

I really don't think he was going to go to City, but I also tell you that deep down I don't care. I did not actively follow him after he left Madrid.
Although I do not think so, I would not bet a kidney for his loyalty to United, for money, for being on the front page, etc, but in the same way the idea that that meeting with Laporta was the one that decided everything, and not months in advance It seems like a fairy tale.
Cristiano played there more than a decade ago, and Messi, from the Masía, has gone to the club that is humiliating you. He had been tinkering with his renewal for a year and as I told you in some other post, the club had to think of all kinds of systems to pay him (like that story of paying him in 5 years) while his colleagues were pressured to cut wages to pay him.

Why did he go to PSG and not City? they rejected him? or could they not pay him?

There may be no rivalry, but culés on social media seem quite rabid with PSG

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@Daysleeper
"Messi had a meeting at the Qatari consulate in Barcelona." (December 2020)

And the source is good. Quim is a Barça fan, a very honest guy who does not speak nonsense. Possibly the sanest guy on the whole show
Of course Jorge Messi denied it (what else could he do?).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let's not fool ourselves, you may post extensive and detailed lines of arguments but it always boils down to the fact that you're talking about stuff that correlates only loosely with the individual class of the player. The criteria you deem important aren't based on your observations and knowledge of football, your opinion on football is based on your affection towards Cristiano Ronaldo. The outcome is preset and you are open to adjusting your arguments and opinions as long as they lead to a specific result.

And that's a common theme in here. In a way it is reminiscent of the Overton window. One side of the argument is constantly bringing up arguments that make no sense at all. Now it suddenly seems reasonable to discuss stuff that has nothing to do with the players as individuals, just because it still makes more sense than some of the insane things posted in here. Arguments that would never be used in other player comparisons. I mean, I've never seen such discussions in a transfer thread. When people discuss which option out of Sancho, Grealish and Coman is the best. Or Varane, Upamecano and Koundé. When it is really about finding the best player and few have any preferences going into the discussions, nobody talks about the stuff you're constantly bringing up (trophies, etc.). Same thing when other legends are discussed, e. g. Maradona vs. Pelé (which wouldn't even be a discussion based on your criteria).
Well aside from the fact that this has nothing to do with my original post, and this is also not the first time you would take any opportunities to criticize my criteria preference, which I couldn’t totally refute, as it’s not a matter of right or wrong, but rather subjective preference.

But this is Ronaldo vs Messi thread afterall, I don’t see why we are only allowed to discuss and compare individual class of players, but not everything else. Goals, records, trophies and achievements etc has always been part of major topic of discussion in football, and being used as comparison on any GOAT discussion in the past. As those are the most commonly used objective metrics.

Admittedly it may not be the most deciding factor for some, but it’s still a significance factor being valued/talked by most people out there. It’s like in tennis people would talk about no. of grand slams all the time when discussing best tennis player or GOAT, in basketball they talk about MVP, NBA champions and points/rebounds/assists stats, in football we also talk about WC, CL, ballon D’or, goals/assists stats etc. it’s nothing to do with adjusting opinions/arguments, it’s just the way it always is, and something which couldn’t be ignored in any major sports.

Even when people compared Pele and Maradona, apart from individual class of players, things like winning 3 WC and scoring 1000+ goals has always been put forward as one of Pele’s strongest arguments (even Pele himself always use these to defend his own legacy), whereas taking the “underdogs” Argentina/Napoli to “single-handedly” winning WC/Serie A titles has always been widely admired as part of Maradona greatest legacy too. These criteria are not something I created out of the blue, but they have always been there as part of players comparison. Whether you regard these being boring and meaningless to you, is just matter of your personal preference, really.

Last edited:

kc7

As I thought, links from goal.com and ESPN mean nothing.
Of course, they mean nothing..only for you))

Below is from Eurosport..
--https://www.eurosport.com/football/transfers/2020-2021/cristiano-ronaldo-to-manchester-city-how-jorge-mendes-masterminded-sensational-switch-inside-footbal_sto8507145/story.shtml

"Mendes took the situation into his own hands and moved forward in determination to pull off one of the big transfers of 2021. For the past four months he has been looking for a new home for his most famous client - and no stone was left unturned.
The main clubs in sight were Real Madrid, PSG, Manchester United, Man City and Chelsea. Through varying degrees of approaches and meetings, Mendes did not have much joy in his discussions. Yet when an opportunity arose in the market he was ready to strike - that moment arrived with Harry Kane and his failed switch to Etihad Stadium."

" As this season began and a transfer seemed increasingly unlikely, Ronaldo had maintained his stance that if a good offer came up - particularly in England - he would want to go. Mendes vowed to keep on trying."

Below is from Guardian..

-- https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...os-return-to-manchester-united-after-12-years

"Mendes informally approached most of Europe’s big hitters including Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, United, City and Chelsea but had received no firm encouragement about a potential move."

It seems Ronaldo should send a long Thank You message to Kane))
You also have to give huge credit to Mendes, they guy does not stop trying even after so many rejections))

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
@Daysleeper
"Messi had a meeting at the Qatari consulate in Barcelona." (December 2020)

And the source is good. Quim is a Barça fan, a very honest guy who does not speak nonsense. Possibly the sanest guy on the whole show
Of course Jorge Messi denied it (what else could he do?).
He also told pep in April he was staying. And Laporta was elected in March of 2021. Messi definitely thought about leaving during the Barto era. If he had a deal with psg for that long he would’ve left much sooner.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I really don't think he was going to go to City, but I also tell you that deep down I don't care. I did not actively follow him after he left Madrid.
Although I do not think so, I would not bet a kidney for his loyalty to United, for money, for being on the front page, etc, but in the same way the idea that that meeting with Laporta was the one that decided everything, and not months in advance It seems like a fairy tale.
Cristiano played there more than a decade ago, and Messi, from the Masía, has gone to the club that is humiliating you. He had been tinkering with his renewal for a year and as I told you in some other post, the club had to think of all kinds of systems to pay him (like that story of paying him in 5 years) while his colleagues were pressured to cut wages to pay him.

Why did he go to PSG and not City? they rejected him? or could they not pay him?

There may be no rivalry, but culés on social media seem quite rabid with PSG
I have stopped following Messi on social media after the psg and I do agree lots of Barca fans hate psg but I’d argue the rivalry between city and United is bigger since they’re from the same city.

I think once city got Grealish it ended the Messi pursuit. Had the la liga hard cap happened a week before it did (in regards to Messi not finding out till he came in to sign a new contract that he wasn’t able to be re-signed) I think city would’ve been an even better choice and it looked like it was going to happen after he sent the burofax last year.

I also think he absolutely could have had contact with psg earlier but I imagine it was before Laporta took over. However, I’m not going to pretend that is exactly how it all went down. You certainly could be on to something. You mention psg humiliating Barca but the reality is that everything bad a did was self inflicted. And it’s not like psg have done anything of note in the last five years. Barto destroyed the club not psg. Any half competent president wouldn’t have blown the 222 million as badly as Barto did.

so yeah, going to city coming from united would’ve been far worse than Barca to psg. Much much less history with Barca and psg

reddevilchennai

I think it was a PR act to get United to sign him. He used City to sign for us the same way he used us to sign new contract with Madrid.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There’s plenty valid behind my reasoning if you actually look at the history. Muller played less games than Ronaldo. So you have to look at goal ratio. Muller has a better goal to game ratio at club level, at international level and in the World Cup. My point about ‘clutchness’ (which is a ridiculous unquantifiable notion anyway) is simply that Muller has scored the winning goal in a World Cup final, the winning goal in a Euros final and the winning goal in an EC final. Ronaldo has done none of these things (his goals in CL finals were not ‘winning goals’ per se). In fact he hasn’t even scored a goal in the KO rounds of the WC. Therefore Muller is the more prolific goalscorer and the better clutch goalscorer if it’s all about ‘winning goals’

Not all all, because Messi is not just a goalscorer. That’s the whole point. He is a creative player who also gets a lot of goals. He doesn’t stand or fall performance wise on whether he scores. He has been man of the match over 60 times in games where he hasn’t scored. For Ronaldo? 9 times.

All great achievements.
1. I don’t know much of Muller as I wasn’t born during his time, but Ronaldo did score more goals in knockout rounds and finals than anyone I have been awared of though. And even Muller has amazing goal ratio, there are also contexts you can’t just totally ignored when comparing both players. Context such as the fact that Ronaldo has played around 200 games as midfield winger during his formative years at United vs Muller being striker throughout his career. Whereas Germany in 1970s was a far stronger side than Portugal during 2010s etc which would definitely affect their WC stats. Don’t get me wrong, Muller was a great player too, and is probably among my top 10-15 GOAT. But Ronaldo had done and shown much more throughout his career, it’s not even a question. For example in terms of Ballon D’ors, Ronaldo has won it 5 times and runners up 7 times. Muller has only won it once and manage runners up 2 times. Its 12 vs 3 in terms of how the world view them as best player in the world in their time. It’s huge difference.

2. I never have any problem admitting Messi is better player when compared their performance on the pitch over the years (especially in recent years). If this is to you the most defining factor in deciding Messi > Ronaldo, I am fine with it too. But let’s not belittle Ronaldo’s greatness in football. He has his own level of impact on influencing games, winning trophies and achieving things where very very few could compare throughout the history of the game, and where a lot of people admire too. What I want to point out is, there are many who enjoyed Messi dribbling, ball control, creativity, playmaking, magical moment, overall performance etc more, but there are also many who also enjoyed Ronaldo’s skills/tricks (his earlier years) and his movement, ariel, athleticism, determination and clutchness (his later years). In the end, what they have done/achieved throughout their career, both collectively or individually, is very similar. It’s just different means to similar ends, if we look beyond personal preference.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think it was a PR act to get United to sign him. He used City to sign for us the same way he used us to sign new contract with Madrid.
That’s honestly possible, but (and I’ll try to dig it up) pep did say a deal was done between city and Ronaldo.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
I asked for proof. Show me proof.

Totenham's interest in Messi was also not reported in the media. Is your conclusion that Totenham would not have bought Messi? :lol:

Again, this isn't your Bartha fantasy world -- you have any credible sources that show only Man United was interested in Ronaldo an no one else?
The burden of proof lies with you, to prove that they were interested and willing to meet his/juventus terms.

Asking others to provide proofs for a negative is a logical fallacy, called “Appeal to Ignorance”.
Example : Can you provide proof to show me that unicorns do not exist? If you cannot do so, then they exist.

Also, there is a difference between interest and actually going out and making the time, money and effort to get him.
Example : I am interested in getting rid of all rats in my country, but am I interested enough to spend all my time, money and effort doing so?

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
No, it is completely the opposite. City was reluctant to pay the fee and Guardiola had reservations about Ronaldo fitting in as reported in the ESPN article below. Juve fans on their forum were quite bitter of City not willing to pay any transfer fee as things were developing..

-- https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...t-juventus-and-man-cityreturn-to-old-trafford

" .....City began looking at how to make a deal work. There was a reluctance to meet the financial demands of both Juventus and Ronaldo -- he earned €31m net and bonuses per year at Juventus, who also asked for around €28m in a transfer fee to avoid a capital loss on the deal that brought Ronaldo from Real Madrid in 2018 -- and Pep Guardiola also had reservations about how he would fit in on and off the pitch...."

"... On Thursday night, Mendes received a proposal from United. On Friday morning, conversations with Juventus began and United assured the Italian club they were prepared to pay a fee, something City had so far resisted. .."

AND a lot of United guys directly contacted Ronaldo including SAF hearing about potential City move..Even Rio himself talked in detail about his phone call..

" his former United teammates Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra, Portugal teammate Bruno Fernandes, and Ferguson all got involved. For their part, Ferdinand and Ferguson told him simply "you cannot sign for City." Phone calls were made and WhatsApp messages sent to Ronaldo -- Evra later posted a portion of his conversation on Twitter -- while Woodward began talking to Mendes."
He has the burden of proof, not you. He is simply using a logical fallacy.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
1. I don’t know much of Muller, but Ronaldo did score more goals in knockout rounds and finals than anyone I’d have awared though. And even Muller has amazing goal ratio, there are also contexts you can’t just totally ignored when comparing both players. Context such as the fact that Ronaldo has played around 200 games as midfield winger during his formative years at United vs Muller being striker throughout his career. Whereas Germany in 1970s was a far stronger side than Portugal during 2010s etc which would definitely affect their WC stats. Don’t get me wrong, Muller was a great player too, and is probably among my top 10-15 GOAT. But Ronaldo had done and shown much more throughout his career, it’s not even a question.

2. I never have any problem admitting Messi is better player when compared their performance on the pitch over the years (especially in recent years). If this is to you the most defining factor in deciding Messi > Ronaldo, I am fine with it too. But let’s not belittle Ronaldo’s greatness in football. He has his own level of impact on influencing games, winning trophies and achieving things where very very few could compare throughout the history of the game, and where a lot of people admire too.
Honestly, I’d just like to add this why Messi going to PSG is such a bummer for me personally. While I’ll always choose my club over any specific player, him going to the French league means I won’t give a crap about 90% of his matches outside of the CL ones.

Had Messi gone to city (and frankly winning an epl title with a team that dominated epl in recent years anyway doesn’t do much for me, but I know it would for a lot of other people) I’d at least been watching him a lot more since I love playing fantasy premiere league.

I bring this up because obviously people who are massive fans of either Messi or Ronaldo (or both) have tons of great memories over the years and at least with Ronaldo going to United it’ll be easier to watch him in the hopes he continues to create more memories, because while yes, he’s 37, he’s still a fantastic player.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Messi after watching him for so many years but with psg it does feel like a semi retirement for me which is a shame. I’m sure I’ll catch his highlights on Reddit or something. I wish him the best, and I still say if he does get psg their first cl title it would be an incredible achievement.

But maybe that’s on me as well, as the only leagues I take seriously are la liga and epl. I’m not even saying all other leagues are bad (hell, maybe the French league is in fact underrated), but I just don’t have any desire to keep up with them week in and week out outside of the really big matches (Milan derby, Bayern vs Dortmund, Napoli vs Roma etc..)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Honestly, I’d just like to add this why Messi going to PSG is such a bummer for me personally. While I’ll always choose my club over any specific player, him going to the French league means I won’t give a crap about 90% of his matches outside of the CL ones.

Had Messi gone to city (and frankly winning an epl title with a team that dominated epl in recent years anyway doesn’t do much for me, but I know it would for a lot of other people) I’d at least been watching him a lot more since I love playing fantasy premiere league.

I bring this up because obviously people who are massive fans of either Messi or Ronaldo (or both) have tons of great memories over the years and at least with Ronaldo going to United it’ll be easier to watch him in the hopes he continues to create more memories, because while yes, he’s 37, he’s still a fantastic player.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Messi after watching him for so many years but with psg it does feel like a semi retirement for me which is a shame. I’m sure I’ll catch his highlights on Reddit or something. I wish him the best, and I still say if he does get psg their first cl title it would be an incredible achievement.

But maybe that’s on me as well, as the only leagues I take seriously are la liga and epl. I’m not even saying all other leagues are bad (hell, maybe the French league is in fact underrated), but I just don’t have any desire to keep up with them week in and week out outside of the really big matches (Milan derby, Bayern vs Dortmund, Napoli vs Roma etc..)
Very well said, that’s more or less my sentiments too. While I don’t think it matters much if Messi spend his retiring years at PSG, as he has already done enough with Barca over the years to cement his place as GOAT, but watching him playing most of the his future games in French league during his final years are quite a waste indeed, as he is still one of the best out there, if not the best. But lets see how he is doing in CL then, I won’t be betting against him winning another CL before his retirement.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I asked for proof. Show me proof.

Totenham's interest in Messi was also not reported in the media. Is your conclusion that Totenham would not have bought Messi? :lol:

Again, this isn't your Bartha fantasy world -- you have any credible sources that show only Man United was interested in Ronaldo an no one else?
Levy would be clever enough to know that Messi would never have been interested in joining Spurs. For the greatest players there is only a select clubs they want to join unless they want to go the MLS.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's not true at all.

At the end of the day it's a team game and there are many great players that didn't achieve as much as they should for whatever reason but in his case (and Messi) it's hard to deny that they were the core reason (or one of the core reasons) behind their clubs / nation success and they should get rated for those achievements as well because they did it more times than 99,9% players in the history of the game.

That isn't dumb metrics but they don't give you the big picture because it's bordeline impossible to consider all the factors behind the impact of 1 single player. Like off pitch leadership / motivation for example
It is a dumb metric, no matter how you put it. This sport is not only played by 11 players per team, the performance level has also much to do with synergies and systems. There is only so much a single individual can do and this goes both ways. Messi and Cristiano wouldn't have these crazy numbers if they didn't play for teams that could buy all the quality in the world. And similarly, they're not to blame for their teams not winning anything big as long as their very own performances were on point. Cristiano didn't win a single CL with Madrid during his individual peak. That alone invalidates your whole argument.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
The fact that Messi is winning a poll vs Cristiano made in a Man Utd forum says everything.

That poll in other forums would be way more favorable towards Messi, that's a fact.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It is a dumb metric, no matter how you put it. This sport is not only played by 11 players per team, the performance level has also much to do with synergies and systems. There is only so much a single individual can do and this goes both ways. Messi and Cristiano wouldn't have these crazy numbers if they didn't play for teams that could buy all the quality in the world. And similarly, they're not to blame for their teams not winning anything big as long as their very own performances were on point. Cristiano didn't win a single CL with Madrid during his individual peak. That alone invalidates your whole argument.
Sorry but the club trophies does matter when they were the key performers. I do agree though that's it a dumb metric to list club trophies as a individual achievements, but if the players had iconic performances to spur their clubs to victory it does matter. I agree that you can only just a player on their individual performance which is why hate the trope of Messi/Ronaldo knocked out of the CL or whatever whilst neglecting the performance of the entire team.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
I voted Ronaldo but really Im not sure to be honest.
Ive seen Ronaldo play at club and international level at least 100 x more than Messi.
At international level Ronaldo has been the more impressive (in a weaker team)
At club level other than certain champions league games and the odd La Liga match, my Messi knowledge has generally been the highlights which have looked incredible but it is hard to compare if you havent watched them both week in and week out.
My impression is that perhaps Ronaldo has made a bigger difference when it mattered for club/country - very much steps up to the occasion, but Messi has been the better all round player (dribbling ability etc) week in week out.
We 100% should be grateful they are both still playing!

MrEleson

The fact that Messi is winning a poll vs Cristiano made in a Man Utd forum says everything.

That poll in other forums would be way more favorable towards Messi, that's a fact.
Ronaldo won a poll on who was the GOAT on Twitter with over 500,000 votes. The options even also included Pele and Maradona.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo won a poll on who was the GOAT on Twitter with over 500,000 votes. The options even also included Pele and Maradona.
Definitely a few on here who made numerous fake twitter accounts to keep voting for Ronaldo.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
That's not true at all.

At the end of the day it's a team game and there are many great players that didn't achieve as much as they should for whatever reason but in his case (and Messi) it's hard to deny that they were the core reason (or one of the core reasons) behind their clubs / nation success and they should get rated for those achievements as well because they did it more times than 99,9% players in the history of the game.

That isn't dumb metrics but they don't give you the big picture because it's bordeline impossible to consider all the factors behind the impact of 1 single player. Like off pitch leadership / motivation for example
Well, exactly. It is not Ronaldo‘s fault that he is Portugese and therefore will never win the World Cup.
If you want to compare two players you have to watch them play dozens of games.
So bringing in international or club trophies really doesn’t paint a useful picture.

Rojow

Ronaldo should win any internet poll because his agent is Mendes, and he has a massive PR team for his principal asset.

shamans

Levy would be clever enough to know that Messi would never have been interested in joining Spurs. For the greatest players there is only a select clubs they want to join unless they want to go the MLS.
That's my point. Many clubs were not "into" Ronaldo either because they know there's no chance they will get him.

Wrong again. Messi was sought after by Chelsea as well, and Pep had been constantly asking about him as recently as April but Messi told him he was staying with Barca.

and Ronaldo just went to serie A to a team that won 9 serie A and gave them their worst finish in over a decade. Zero room to talk farmers league when psg didn’t even win the title last season and this was before Messi.

I never said City rejected Ronaldo, just that they were wavering on him because they were indecisive. Giving a 37 year old the biggest contract in epl history is beyond insane, but you can never put a price on nostalgia. Messi is still at a ballon d’or level at least. And his international trophy is a more meaningful one than anything Ronaldo has won in 3 years now.

You need to do some research instead of spouting nonsense. You even said I said City rejected Ronaldo which I never did. Work on your reading comprehension my friend. It will go a long way in this debate I can assure you.
Yes Ballon D'or player Messi is playing in ligue 1 taking on mighty clermont foot this week while goal poacher fox in the box old man Ronaldo somehow ended at the biggest club in the world.

I don't know why you're so annoyed, Messi consumed all of Barca for his personal wealth account and left the burning ship and now he's enjoying some Qatari dough. Be happy! Maybe they will make the copa America a yearly competition so he can win it even more!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's my point. Many clubs were not "into" Ronaldo either because they know there's no chance they will get him.

Yes Ballon D'or player Messi is playing in ligue 1 taking on mighty clermont foot this week while goal poacher fox in the box old man Ronaldo somehow ended at the biggest club in the world.

I don't know why you're so annoyed, Messi consumed all of Barca for his personal wealth account and left the burning ship and now he's enjoying some Qatari dough. Be happy! Maybe they will make the copa America a yearly competition so he can win it even more!
Funny thing is, you claim the moral high ground for you and then post stuff like this. I mean, you're not really a particularly objective person, are you? ;)

shamans

The burden of proof lies with you, to prove that they were interested and willing to meet his/juventus terms.

Asking others to provide proofs for a negative is a logical fallacy, called “Appeal to Ignorance”.
Example : Can you provide proof to show me that unicorns do not exist? If you cannot do so, then they exist.

Also, there is a difference between interest and actually going out and making the time, money and effort to get him.
Example : I am interested in getting rid of all rats in my country, but am I interested enough to spend all my time, money and effort doing so?
No it doesn't?

My initial claim was we do not know if City rejected Ronaldo or he was 100% city bound. There is no proof for this. That's it. For me to prove this is true, I would have to source every new outlet there is and debunk each and every one.

For someone to prove me wrong they'd have to show just one reputable source claiming with 100% certainty with what happened. I know it's fun to learn something new and use it but I'm afraid it doesn't apply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.