Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

If his name wasn't Messi he wouldn't be top 3 if the year he's had.

Likewise if any of Haaland,Mbappe,Benzema,Ronaldo were named "Messi" they'd have won the BdO with the seasons they've had.

And don't even get me started on Lewandowski, he'd have won it by 300 points

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Likewise if any of Haaland,Mbappe,Benzema,Ronaldo were named "Messi" they'd have won the BdO with the seasons they've had.

He would definitely be top 3. It's his weakest Ballon D'or win yet, but he had an excellent 2021 campaign with Barca and a great copa. The fact that it was close is that there weren't many points seperating him and Messi. Messi was both Barcelona and Argetina's main playmaker and goalscorer and that's what seperates him from pure strikers.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He was part of Porrtugals jammy euro win tbf. But yeah apart from that he's played for the best manager of all time, the greatest contempary managers and the biggest clubs in europe. I don't know where people get this idea that he's made his trade in Milwall or something.
Yes, virtually every single trophy he’s won has been with a manager that has won major trophies without him. Santos is a possible exception, depending on how major we view the Portuguese league to be.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Nonsense

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Holy fecking shit :lol: :lol:

The double standards in here, unbelievable.

KeanoMagicHat

People are also upset because most of the caf switched to Ronaldo as the goat after he became our player again.
Yep, Messi wins 7th Ballon d’Or with Ronaldo only 6th place this year to put it beyond doubt that he’ll finish with more than Ronaldo, yet loses 3-4% of his vote in a few months, hmmm.

Bole Top

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

plenty of others sports to choose from since you don't really understand football tbf.

Bole Top

Ronaldo fans: "he can play under any manager, regardless of teammates and tactics"
also Ronaldo fans : "you don't really expect him to win the CL under Sarri/Allegri, playing with Douglas Costa and Bernardeschi?"

also, is this even debate anymore?

Gehrman

Yep, Messi wins 7th Ballon d’Or with Ronaldo only 6th place this year to put it beyond doubt that he’ll finish with more than Ronaldo, yet loses 3-4% of his vote in a few months, hmmm.
It's just my observation that Ronaldo gets called the goat all the time in the Ronaldo thread now that he's our player. Same as it was with the juventus boards as well. Which is all understandable.

Gehrman

Ronaldo fans: "he can play under any manager, regardless of teammates and tactics"
also Ronaldo fans : "you don't really expect him to win the CL under Sarri/Allegri, playing with Douglas Costa and Bernardeschi?"

Would always be a tall order to be fair. Ronaldo did his job as well as he could. Was shite against Porto though.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Ronaldo has more CLs than Messi.
Sounds like you're mistaking real life for your FM save.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
As someone who works with data every day, these posts are really so, so hard to read. Ronaldo the scientist.. jesus.

See, from a scientific perspective, goals and assists are a terrible, terrible model to capture the performance of a player. That's why data scientists working in football developed advanced metrics such as xG, xGC, xGBuildUp and so forth: They tried to define wholistic models which consider the impact of every play a player makes, not only those that happen during the last two contacts before the ball passes the goal line.

Those two metrics (goals and assists) are very, very limited because in a chain of plays that lead tona goal, sometimes the finish is the best and most difficult play, sometimes it is the assist, sometimes the pre assist, sometimes the ball recovery and so forth. Not even the most advanced metrics are able to reflect this complexion accurately.

And here you are, claiming that Ronaldo is a scientist because he developed his game to optimize a metric that's very popular among fans because it is easy to understand but also very limited.

You could argue that Ronaldo optimized his game to look better on a stat sheet that people with limited knowledge of how to interpret data and develop statistical models would read. Artist and scientist.. jesus
It's not just stats.

Its his ability to be proven everywhere around the world in 4 different clubs around the world at different times just like Gravity was proven to everyone everywhere after Isaac Newton.

Messi is more an artist, people drooling on how he draws the opposition and does things in a way that's catching to your eyes - but he needs the right artistic tools, the right surface and right environment to do so.

I mean fine - people are instantly making excuses for Messi at PSG whilst players like Cavani & Ronaldo is still doing things for us in the Premier league whenever they play even if they have like significant less natural ability.

Another question that I'm thinking I'm going to keep asking people -

If Messi played all his career only like the way he did for Argentina for Argentina - no other performances; would people call him the greatest as much?

He isn't even regarded the best ever for Argentina by so many. So why exactly is he the GOAT? I don't see Messi's performances in his Argentina career anywhere on the level of his Barcelona career. (Let's keep it simple and not add PSG to the list, because all he needs would be a goal in the UCL semi finals/finals to have people believe that he has been playing like he always did for Barcelona).

Then look at C Ronaldo, the way he played and what he helped achieve for Portugal and how he is viewed.

Ronaldo is regarded as a soccer god for Portugal, the media talk about him non stop that it sounds like he is the only player of the team. Their best and most successful ever from performances like hattricks vs spain to the trophies win.

The way he plays for whoever, whenever by almost just carbon copying himself and his style before pasting such a dominate force at Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus or Portugal is simply stunning.

He needs no tactic like possesion football to play his best football, yet he can also do it in posession football, he can do it when his team parks the bus, he can do it when the opposition park the bus, counter attacks, dominant attacks - anywhere, any time, any style, any place, any who- you know what your getting with Ronaldo; a copy and paste version of one of the best of all time in football.

That's why he is my GOAT. Not the guy who can beat Stoke on a cold winter night - but the guy who could actually play for Stoke on a cold winter night playing their tactics and look the least out of shape or form.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's pretty simple. If you want to measure their trophies, Lewa had Bundesliga and Messi had Copa and at the very least Copa is equal to Bundesliga. If you want to measure their performance Messi was the best player objectively in a league that ranks higher than Lewa's for a team that also wasn't the best in that league. Messi then went on to be the best player objectively in another competition. Lewandowski is not the clear winner like people want to make it.

Gehrman

It's not just stats.

Its his ability to be proven everywhere around the world in 4 different clubs around the world at different times just like Gravity was proven to everyone everywhere after Isaac Newton.

Messi is more an artist, people drooling on how he draws the opposition and does things in a way that's catching to your eyes - but he needs the right artistic tools, the right surface and right environment to do so.

I mean fine - people are instantly making excuses for Messi at PSG whilst players like Cavani & Ronaldo is still doing things for us in the Premier league whenever they play even if they have like significant less natural ability.

Another question that I'm thinking I'm going to keep asking people -

If Messi played all his career only like the way he did for Argentina for Argentina - no other performances; would people call him the greatest as much?

He isn't even regarded the best ever for Argentina by so many. So why exactly is he the GOAT? I don't see Messi's performances in his Argentina career anywhere on the level of his Barcelona career. (Let's keep it simple and not add PSG to the list, because all he needs would be a goal in the UCL semi finals/finals to have people believe that he has been playing like he always did for Barcelona).

Then look at C Ronaldo, the way he played and what he helped achieve for Portugal and how he is viewed.

Ronaldo is regarded as a soccer god for Portugal, the media talk about him non stop that it sounds like he is the only player of the team. Their best and most successful ever from performances like hattricks vs spain to the trophies win.

The way he plays for whoever, whenever by almost just carbon copying himself and his style before pasting such a dominate force at Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus or Portugal is simply stunning.

He needs no tactic like possesion football to play his best football, yet he can also do it in posession football, he can do it when his team parks the bus, he can do it when the opposition park the bus, counter attacks, dominant attacks - anywhere, any time, any style, any place, any who- you know what your getting with Ronaldo; a copy and paste version of one of the best of all time in football.

That's why he is my GOAT. Not the guy who can beat Stoke on a cold winter night - but the guy who could actually play for Stoke on a cold winter night playing their tactics and look the least out of shape or form.
Ronaldo never had the burden of being labelled Maradonna's heir. Diego will always be Argentina's star(and is considered by many to be the goat between him and Pelé before Messi and Ronaldo came along) because he had a legendary WC(where he should have been sent off for the hand of god). I don't ever remember the expectation of Ronaldo carrying Portugal to a WC win. Portugal actually have a class squad now, so they have a decent chance next year.

I agree that Messi has not had a world cup like the goats, but for me his achievements at club level more than make up for it. I'm not going to hold it against him that he spent his entire prime at his dream club. It's not like Ronaldo has had a international tournament either euro or WC like Platini, R9, Pelé, Maradonna, Cryuff or Müller either. Yeah he surpassed Platini's euro record but Platini scored all his goals in one tournament.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ronaldo never had the burden of being labelled Maradonna's heir. Diego will always be Argentina's star(and is considered by many to be the goat between him and Pelé before Messi and Ronaldo came along) because he had a legendary WC(where he should have been sent off for the hand of god). I don't ever remember the expectation of Ronaldo carrying Portugal to a WC win. Portugal actually have a class squad now, so they have a decent chance next year.

I agree that Messi has not had a world cup like the goats, but for me his achievements at club level more than make up for it. I'm not going to hold it against him that he spent his entire prime at his dream club. It's not like Ronaldo has had a international tournament either euro or WC like Platini, R9, Pelé, Maradonna, Cryuff or Müller either. Yeah he surpassed Platini's euro record but Platini scored all his goals in one tournament.
I mean sure - Messi had the burden of overcoming Maradona but ultimately that's nearly a full large country of the whole world who probably don't regard Messi as their GOAT isn't it?

The thing is Messi overdid his expectations mostly at club level - and his club level was Barcelona and no one else. Not just some random team with different players and styles but a team that to this days has a specific style stuck to its core just as much as the floor (especially after Guardiola's tenure).

Ronaldo was different. Many believe he could play for Barcelona in their tiki taka football (David Villa's LW position) just as well he did for Portugal, just as well as he did for United, Just as he did for Jose Mourinho or even bloody Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Anyone, anytime, against any who - you got a carbon copy of him, his style and his efficiency for any team in the world.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think that sums up pretty well why people argue dribbling and passing all the time when it comes to Messi. Yes, Lewandowski is better in other disciplines but if a player has almost five times the amount of passes he's just been so much more involved and impacted the game more, especially when he scores at a somewhat comparable rate. And that even for a far less dominant team.

People take this for granted but it'll only sink in once he has retired how extraordinary it is that a player is involved that much and still maintains an elite output in terms of goals and assists.

Gehrman

I mean sure - Messi had the burden of overcoming Maradona but ultimately that's nearly a full large country of the whole world who probably don't regard Messi as their GOAT isn't it?

The thing is Messi overdid his expectations mostly at club level - and his club level was Barcelona and no one else. Not just some random team with different players and styles but a team that to this days has a specific style stuck to its core just as much as the floor (especially after Guardiola's tenure).

Ronaldo was different. Many believe he could play for Barcelona in their tiki taka football (David Villa's LW position) just as well he did for Portugal, just as well as he did for United, Just as he did for Jose Mourinho or even bloody Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Anyone, anytime, against any who - you got a carbon copy of him, his style and his efficiency for any team in the world.
Yeah you've made this point about a billion times in this thread. We can only speculate whether Messi could cut in the PL since he spent 20 years at Barca. IMO he definitely could.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I think that sums up pretty well why people argue dribbling and passing all the time when it comes to Messi. Yes, Lewandowski is better in other disciplines but if a player has almost five times the amount of passes he's just been so much more involved and impacted the game more, especially when he scores at a somewhat comparable rate. And that even for a far less dominant team.

People take this for granted but it'll only sink in once he has retired how extraordinary it is that a player is involved that much and still maintains an elite output in terms of goals and assists.
But this player scores that many goals so must be better right? Right?????

Too much emphasis is put on goals which is usually the last 1-2 touches of the ball and all other areas of the field are ignored. When Messi is gone there will probably never be another player in our lifetime that plays the game like him.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
CR7 certainly has an inferiority complex when it comes to Messi. That much is clear. Pretty sure he doesn’t run his own social media accounts though. At least I hope that’s the case :lol:

Gehrman

CR7 certainly has an inferiority complex when it comes to Messi. That much is clear. Pretty sure he doesn’t run his own social media accounts though. At least I hope that’s the case :lol:
Dunno first his dream was a record of Ballon D'ors, which is Messi's. Then it shifted to golden shoe since it was determined by goals and not votes. Then Messi took that record. So I guess now he has his 5 CL's, incredible CL goalscoring record and his international record. But in any case sometimes he can have a point. I don't believe there is a conspiracy against Ronaldo though. It's sometimes about narratives. Modric for instance had a great 2018 WC, but both Messi and Ronaldo had stellar season's that year.

Ladron de redcafe

Dunno first his dream was a record of Ballon D'ors, which is Messi's. Then it shifted to golden shoe since it was determined by goals and not votes. Then Messi took that record. So I guess now he has his 5 CL's, incredible CL goalscoring record and his international record. But in any case sometimes he can have a point. I don't believe there is a conspiracy against Ronaldo though. It's sometimes about narratives. Modric for instance had a great 2018 WC, but both Messi and Ronaldo had stellar season's that year.
He's going to end up behind Messi in both. He hasn't won a golden shoe since 2015 and hasn't really come close to challenging since. The Balón D'or race (his biggest goal) is dead and buried now.

He has to focus on something else.

Ladron de redcafe

It's hard to believe an adult can behave this way, but Kevin Durant has shown that some athletes can be more insecure than anything imaginable.

This is crazy. Ranting on Instagram and scouring the net for posts that praise him and denigrate Messi is extremely weird behaviour. But again, not that indifferent from what Durant does.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Messi's is international career is so underrated just because Higuain missed a sitter in the WC 2014 final. The guy has played finals in every single international tournament at every age level with Argentina since he was 18 and was chosen the MVP in every one of them, ridiculous.

2005 U-20 WC: Argentina: Champion Messi: MVP
2008 Olympics: Argentina: Champion Messi: MVP
2014 WC: Argentina: 2nd Messi: MVP
2015 Copa America: Argentina: 2nd Messi: MVP
2021 Copa America: Argentina: Champion Messi: MVP

chiz2kul

Pretty tasteless by Ronaldo liking that tweet though. Big oof. Wonder if he'll come out and claim his account was hacked

Gehrman

He's going to end up behind Messi in both. He hasn't won a golden shoe since 2015 and hasn't really come close to challenging since. The Balón D'or race (his biggest goal) is dead and buried now.

He has to focus on something else.
He's definitely going to retire with more CL's and CL goals and keep his international record. And keep his total goals record. PSG aren't winning this CL and Messi won't age like Ronaldo.

Ladron de redcafe

He's definitely going to retire with more CL's and CL goals and keep his international record. And keep his total goals record. PSG aren't winning this CL and Messi won't age like Ronaldo.
That's what I mean. He'll have to be content with cumulative totals, now. The Balón D'or dream is dead.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It's hard to believe an adult can behave this way, but Kevin Durant has shown that some athletes can be more insecure than anything imaginable.

This is crazy. Ranting on Instagram and scouring the net for posts that praise him and denigrate Messi is extremely weird behaviour. But again, not that indifferent from what Durant does.
Off-topic but the thing about KD is that he went to Golden State (a weak move IMO) and won 2 titles and was the Finals MVP both times. The narrative then became that Curry and Golden State needed him more than he needed them. But GS won before he got there. If they manage to win another title and KD can’t win in Brooklyn then it starts to look a lot like the opposite is actually the truth.

Sinbad the sailor

Supports
Football
I don't think there has ever been a player that has had to jump through hoops as much as messi. People are always pointing at him and saying do this, do that... it's ridiculous. He's an all time great, proved it when he was 23 playing at such a level that left the great sir alex dazed. Ronaldo is the same. A bit less influential in the overall aspect of the game, but absolutely lethal. But he's never had quite the same pressure as messi. People consider messi's career as meh for not carrying his team to a world cup. Imagine that!... that by it's self is a testament to messi's ability.

BorisManUtd

2021 like every other year has 12 months so to end voting on October 24th is odd. Is it how it's done every year or?

Status
Not open for further replies.