• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
2010 and 2021 I have no clue how Messi won it.

The same way I don't know how Modric won in 2019 over Ronaldo.

Nonetheless congratulation to one of the greatest of all time.

Bearded One

Not for me, it might tell how good he was, but this current version is nowhere near the best player in the world. He barely moves. It’s not about winning the Copa America for me as it’s a team sport….but it’s being the best individual in that team sport and my eyes tell me he’s miles from that now.
Unfortunately the award doesn’t necessarily go to the “best” player in the world that year. For instance I couldn’t say Modric was the best player in the globe in the year he won it. There are a number of factors that need to go your way for you to be considered. What I find strange though is that we had said Messi’s legacy is marred by his lack of an international trophy but now he’s done it, it doesn’t count anymore. Maybe we put too much emphasis on him not winning it that when he finally won it, we had hyped it so much that it became a deciding factor. In any case I had said whoever won it between Messi and Lewa would be fair considering that everyone had a significant comma in their achievements and I stand by it. If they had given it to Jorginho on the other hand, I would have called it unfair.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Unfortunately the award doesn’t necessarily go to the “best” player in the world that year. For instance I couldn’t say Modric was the best player in the globe in the year he won it. There are a number of factors that need to go your way for you to be considered. What I find strange though is that we had said Messi’s legacy is marred by his lack of an international trophy but now he’s done it, it doesn’t count anymore. Maybe we put too much emphasis on him not winning it that when he finally won it, we had hyped it so much that it became a deciding factor. In any case I had said whoever won it between Messi and Lewa would be fair considering that everyone had a significant comma in their achievements and I stand by it. If they had given it to Jorginho on the other hand, I would have called it unfair.
I think since Messi can't play in the euro's, the WC would always be his holy grail, especially since the expectations on him winning it was greater since he was already being compared with the goats back in 2011.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
2010 and 2021 I have no clue how Messi won it.

The same way I don't know how Modric won in 2019 over Ronaldo.

Nonetheless congratulation to one of the greatest of all time.
He's leading all but 2 of the stats on this list. Lewa was definitely robbed in 2020 there is no doubt he should have got it and it's a disgrace they cancelled it last year. Just for that and his last 12 months he would have also been a deserving winner.

steffyr2

He's leading all but 2 of the stats on this list. Lewa was definitely robbed in 2020 there is no doubt he should have got it and it's a disgrace they cancelled it last year. Just for that and his last 12 months he would have also been a deserving winner.

I'm fascinated by the 'dribbles completed' stat. What's the definition of that?
Two touches and then pass?
And who collects these stats for every game by every player everywhere?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me Messi Vs Ronaldo was always different to different fans due to their different views on Football, similar to how kids in school might decide different to each other what subject to study or be when he grows up.

To some fans, the technique of the football player is the most important thing in the sport, its the most beautiful thing. It's what they watch and base alot of their favourite moments and players over. This was Messi - the most beautiful player to play the game with both his goals and assists.

However, the way I saw it - just like an artists ability to create a wonderful piece of Art; the artist also needs the right surface to do so. The right bits, pieces or environment to do so.

Then there is Ronaldo. Who was technically gifted but not exactly an artist. He was not that interested in a career as an artist so he toned down his technical aspect to be more of a scientist. This is because he had a scientific theory that he wanted to see if true - that he was the best football player of all time & wanted to prove it by testing himself in front of everyone and everywhere.

Ronaldo was more the mentality or mindset of a scientist like Albert Einstein and its influence on the human body rather than the the artistic brilliance of Messi or Picasso.

As we saw Messi consistently making great pieces of art with the same board, same paint, same city, same helpers, same enemy with same weaknesses - some people fell in love. They couldn't believe they were seeing such art being created to such unbelievable consistency with feeling of such ease.

On the other hand in his labs, Ronaldo didn't care about the art, he was a scientist ready to prove a new hypothesis towards scientific based acceptance. He wanted to visit the best scientists in the world and prove that what he thought was right.

Leaving Sporting, he joins the Premier League - many who think it's the hardest league in the world with its varying styles of football (consisting of 19 tough teams you constantly face than only facing 2-5 teams in a league that may give you a tough day at their best). Ronaldo arrives and does it at Manchester United in 2008; arguably is part of the best United team version of all time that many have seen. He does it under arguably the best manager of all time with no particularly tactical playstyle; still some are starting now to believe.

He goes to Spain, a league using much more on the floor football and he adapts his game to that, becoming more simplified. League titles, CL's and goals with such a variety of managers with different playstyles from Benitez, Ancelotti, Jose, Zidane and more. Any manager, any time, any opposition, any tactic - this is starting to look scientific true. A wonderful bicycle kick Vs Juventus feel like it's their turn in Italy to get him.

He goes to Italy and wins the local titles and scores bucket loads of goals with ease with managers like Pirlo. Another group of scientists start to see what Ronaldo is about - even the oldest version. Then he comes back to the hardest league in the world and ends up still wowing the public with his findings - much more than the artist who changed his environment and changed his arts & craft pieces only for it not to be as great as before; whilst even being younger. The national team views Ronaldo as a legend for his achievements too, whilst Argentina have had more successful trophy winners.

Ronaldo simply was a scientist and not an artist - a scientist wanting, going and trying to prove to everyone and everywhere that he was the greatest footballer of all time. Its got data and its shown in different areas of the world, consistent over the world for any team, any manager, any tactic and for any person - just like Isaac Newtons apple falling down on his head ended up proving Gravity. SIUUUUU!

:D

Last edited:

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Hats off to Cristiano for making superhuman effort to be considered as Messi rival.

I'm sure he's proud of it and will tell his children all about how he managed to get close to the level alien Messi operates on.

Another totally deserved award for greatest ever player, he can walk around the pitch and still be the best, we won't see player like that ever again.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Oh right - you are one of those people who forget that football is a team sport.
???
Sneijder was the driving force behind that Inter Milan side as well as the Netherlands team that made the final and lost in extra time to the most dominant national team of all time.

He should of absolutely won it that year.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Sneijder was not heads and shoulders above anyone in Inter(Maicon and Milito were equally crucial), and Robben was the best Dutch player in 2010 WC, despite him choking in the final. Sniejder had a phenomenal year, and had he won no worries. But Messi was having the greatest individual year every enjoyed by anyone since Ronaldo in 1996/97, nobody knew that latter Messi would be scoring 91 goals in a year that time. I find it hilarious when people make it like Messi had an average year in 2010 or 2019 or 2021, that they cry robbed robbed.

Rojow

This year Messi has the same G+A he had in 2009 when he won the treble with Barcelona at 22. Now he's 34.

I'm curious how many people go to Youtube and watch Van Basten or Müller match winning goals.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
For me Messi Vs Ronaldo was always different to different fans due to their different views on Football, similar to how kids in school might decide different to each other what subject to study or be when he grows up.

To some fans, the technique of the football player is the most important thing in the sport, its the most beautiful thing. It's what they watch and base alot of their favourite moments and players over. This was Messi - the most beautiful player to play the game with both his goals and assists.

However, the way I saw it - just like an artists ability to create a wonderful piece of Art; the artist also needs the right surface to do so. The right bits, pieces or environment to do so.

Then there is Ronaldo. Who was technically gifted but not exactly an artist. He was not that interested in a career as an artist so he toned down his technical aspect to be more of a scientist. This is because he had a scientific theory that he wanted to see if true - that he was the best football player of all time & wanted to prove it by testing himself in front of everyone and everywhere.

Ronaldo was more the mentality or mindset of a scientist like Albert Einstein and its influence on the human body rather than the the artistic brilliance of Messi or Picasso.

As we saw Messi consistently making great pieces of art with the same board, same paint, same city, same helpers, same enemy with same weaknesses - some people fell in love. They couldn't believe they were seeing such art being created to such unbelievable consistency with feeling of such ease.

On the other hand in his labs, Ronaldo didn't care about the art, he was a scientist ready to prove a new hypothesis towards scientific based acceptance. He wanted to visit the best scientists in the world and prove that what he thought was right.

Leaving Sporting, he joins the Premier League - many who think it's the hardest league in the world with its varying styles of football (consisting of 19 tough teams you constantly face than only facing 2-5 teams in a league that may give you a tough day at their best). Ronaldo arrives and does it at Manchester United in 2008; arguably is part of the best United team version of all time that many have seen. He does it under arguably the best manager of all time with no particularly tactical playstyle; still some are starting now to believe.

He goes to Spain, a league using much more on the floor football and he adapts his game to that, becoming more simplified. League titles, CL's and goals with such a variety of managers with different playstyles from Benitez, Ancelotti, Jose, Zidane and more. Any manager, any time, any opposition, any tactic - this is starting to look scientific true. A wonderful bicycle kick Vs Juventus feel like it's their turn in Italy to get him.

He goes to Italy and wins the local titles and scores bucket loads of goals with ease with managers like Pirlo. Another group of scientists start to see what Ronaldo is about - even the oldest version. Then he comes back to the hardest league in the world and ends up still wowing the public with his findings - much more than the artist who changed his environment and changed his arts & craft pieces only for it not to be as great as before; whilst even being younger. The national team views Ronaldo as a legend for his achievements too, whilst Argentina have had more successful trophy winners.

Ronaldo simply was a scientist and not an artist - a scientist wanting, going and trying to prove to everyone and everywhere that he was the greatest footballer of all time. Its got data and its shown in different areas of the world, consistent over the world for any team, any manager, any tactic and for any person - just like Isaac Newtons apple falling down on his head ended up proving Gravity. SIUUUUU!

:D
This is a good way of stating that one of the two decided to become an Inzaghi style goalhanger. Well done sir ;)

KeanoMagicHat

Sneijder was not heads and shoulders above anyone in Inter(Maicon and Milito were equally crucial), and Robben was the best Dutch player in 2010 WC, despite him choking in the final. Sniejder had a phenomenal year, and had he won no worries. But Messi was having the greatest individual year every enjoyed by anyone since Ronaldo in 1996/97, nobody knew that latter Messi would be scoring 91 goals in a year that time. I find it hilarious when people make it like Messi had an average year in 2010 or 2019 or 2021, that they cry robbed robbed.
Well said, the narrative has caught on that Sneijder was completely robbed. For me, Xavi had an equal case to Sneijder, and Iniesta was up there too, which was reflected in a very close vote. It was 22% Messi, 17% Iniesta, 16% Xavi, 14% Sneijder. Take your pick from that 4 (although I think Iniesta had the weakest argument).

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Wpn copa del rey, got knocked out by a better team in the cl, got 3rd in la liga.
And are now flirting with mid-table status. Because having ‘walking’ Messi in your team makes no difference, clearly.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
or Ronaldo winning in 2013
Imagine if you can the weeping, wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth if Messi had been given a Ballon D’Or without a single team trophy to his name. And people have the cheek to talk about ‘robberies’ :lol:

Further proof (if any more was needed) that in this generation, Messi is judged by different standards than every other player. Because he is the best player of the generation by a considerable margin.

KeanoMagicHat

Imagine if you can the weeping, wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth if Messi had been given a Ballon D’Or without a single team trophy to his name. And people have the cheek to talk about ‘robberies’ :lol:

Further proof (if any more was needed) that in this generation, Messi is judged by different standards than every other player. Because he is the best player of the generation by a considerable margin.
Yep, despite my disagreement with this year's award and I feel sorry Lewa didn't win it, Messi with two more Ballon d'Ors than Ronaldo is a fairer reflection of their careers. Ronaldo's 2013 Ballon d'Or was a bigger robbery than any of Messi's contentious ones.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yep, despite my disagreement with this year's award and I feel sorry Lewa didn't win it, Messi with two more Ballon d'Ors than Ronaldo is a fairer reflection of their careers. Ronaldo's 2013 Ballon d'Or was a bigger robbery than any of Messi's contentious ones.
Lewa was the clear favourite last year, of that there is no doubt. He would have been a deserving winner this year too, but he wasn’t ‘robbed’. I think a lot of the sentiment towards him stems from the fact that he didn’t get his rightful award last year.

mu4c_20le

And are now flirting with mid-table status. Because having ‘walking’ Messi in your team makes no difference, clearly.
That has more to do with Barca's over reliance on one player, and their other overpaid stars not pulling their weight. As we've seen with PSG in the champions league, it makes no difference.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
That has more to do with Barca's over reliance on one player, and their other overpaid stars not pulling their weight. As we've seen with PSG in the champions league, it makes no difference.
The Champions League has barely started.

What overpaid ‘stars’ do Barca have that are not pulling their weight?

nickm

You're right they'll be watching his match winning goals in big games instead...
Not many people will be googling Messi's stats either I'd imagine.

That's not to say your opinion of Messi having 'more moments' is wrong; just lazy to disregard Ronaldo like that, and that's fundamentally why I hate this debate.
Not disregarding him as a player, but football is about more than stats, its also about art and romance.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Not disregarding him as a player, but football is about more than stats, its also about art and romance.
Cristiano has many great moments. He is not Messi, but he is a ridiculously talented player on his own. People will remember the ridiculous free kicks, headers, those goals against Porto and Juve, and his exploits as a young player performing those eye catching skills, which generally lures kids and casual fans. So he will be fine in history IMO.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t know how many younger generations of fans who only start watching football like 5 years ago would feel. But I think for most United fans from mid-2000s, or Real Madrid fans from around early 2010s, who have actually watched him played over that period (2003-2013), all fell in love with his football instead.

There is a reason why most best young players today (Mbappe, Haaland etc), all idolize Ronaldo as their inspiration, when they are growing up.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whilst this is true - people sometimes overlook the technical aspect of the play. Again, this is a player that played all the time for Barcelona - any player would look more technical playing in La Liga for Barcelona with that set up than playing for a dead version of Juventus right? Who is the most technical gifted player we even had at United?

For me Messi Vs Ronaldo is like choosing your wife over mostly for their looks (Messi's technical ability) rather than wondering about their ability to have the perfect long term intelligence or mindset.

People underestimate the beauty and ability of Ronaldo's mindset. Even the beauty of his physical status of 37 years age is down to how he plans and thinks. His ability to go to any league, any club, under any manager, under any tactics is just amazing to some people.

Messi just received a Balon'dor for how he was playing a few months ago & and literally just few months later people are making excuses for how he looks outside Barcelona, a different player in a different league.

Ronaldinho was a more technical player and great for the eyes than Ronaldo, sure - but to some Ronaldo's ability and consistency at different times in different places under different tactics (or no tactics) different weather, different full seasons with different types of enemies is just a whole level of Uniqueness to some.

Beautiful technical players be it Maradona or Messi or Ronaldinho or Brazilian Ronaldo have always been their - for me C Ronaldo was different; he went and controlled nearly every aspect World football by dominating the PL, La Liga, Serie A and International football.

Absolutely amazing to watch for me. I've seen technical footballers everywhere at different times,scoring different goals, what I hadn't seen was someone trying to conquer the world and most closely achieved it.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Whilst this is true - people sometimes overlook the technical aspect of the play. Again, this is a player that played all the time for Barcelona - any player would look more technical playing in La Liga for Barcelona with that set up than playing for a dead version of Juventus right? Who is the most technical gifted player we even had at United?

For me Messi Vs Ronaldo is like choosing your wife over mostly for their looks (Messi's technical ability) rather than wondering about their ability to have the perfect long term intelligence or mindset.

People underestimate the beauty and ability of Ronaldo's mindset. Even the beauty of his physical status of 37 years age is down to how he plans and thinks. His ability to go to any league, any club, under any manager, under any tactics is just amazing to some people.

Messi just received a Balon'dor for how he was playing a few months ago & and literally just few months later people are making excuses for how he looks outside Barcelona, a different player in a different league.

Ronaldinho was a more technical player and great for the eyes than Ronaldo, sure - but to some Ronaldo's ability and consistency at different times in different places under different tactics (or no tactics) different weather, different full seasons with different types of enemies is just a whole level of Uniqueness to some.

Beautiful technical players be it Maradona or Messi or Ronaldinho or Brazilian Ronaldo have always been their - for me C Ronaldo was different; he went and controlled nearly every aspect World football by dominating the PL, La Liga, Serie A and International football.

Absolutely amazing to watch for me. I've seen technical footballers everywhere at different times,scoring different goals, what I hadn't seen was someone trying to conquer the world and most closely achieved it.
He’s never actually won anything without a world class manager. Stop this overwrought hyperbole.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

As someone who works with data every day, these posts are really so, so hard to read. Ronaldo the scientist.. jesus.

See, from a scientific perspective, goals and assists are a terrible, terrible model to capture the performance of a player. That's why data scientists working in football developed advanced metrics such as xG, xGC, xGBuildUp and so forth: They tried to define wholistic models which consider the impact of every play a player makes, not only those that happen during the last two contacts before the ball passes the goal line.

Those two metrics (goals and assists) are very, very limited because in a chain of plays that lead tona goal, sometimes the finish is the best and most difficult play, sometimes it is the assist, sometimes the pre assist, sometimes the ball recovery and so forth. Not even the most advanced metrics are able to reflect this complexion accurately.

And here you are, claiming that Ronaldo is a scientist because he developed his game to optimize a metric that's very popular among fans because it is easy to understand but also very limited.

You could argue that Ronaldo optimized his game to look better on a stat sheet that people with limited knowledge of how to interpret data and develop statistical models would read. Artist and scientist.. jesus

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
That's probably the last Balon D'or either will win unless one of them wins the CL or World Cup. 2 players winning 12 combined is quite insane but for me the problem with this award is there is no criteria to follow and every voter has their own reason or preference to choose. It is a popularity contest but when you have the legacy of Messi and Ronaldo they're always going to get extra votes because of the reputation and greatness they have achieved.

For me Messi is a deserving winner of it, he went down as favourite the moment he won the coppa and the only reason people are upset about it now is because he has had a slow start to the season at PSG so his recent performances have not been to his usual level.

One thing I would definitely change is to have the voting and award done in September. There is no reason for it to continue on into the next season it doesn't really make sense if you ask me.

Gehrman

He’s never actually won anything without a world class manager. Stop this overwrought hyperbole.
He was part of Porrtugals jammy euro win tbf. But yeah apart from that he's played for the best manager of all time, the greatest contempary managers and the biggest clubs in europe. I don't know where people get this idea that he's made his trade in Milwall or something.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
That's probably the last Balon D'or either will win unless one of them wins the CL or World Cup. 2 players winning 12 combined is quite insane but for me the problem with this award is there is no criteria to follow and every voter has their own reason or preference to choose. It is a popularity contest but when you have the legacy of Messi and Ronaldo they're always going to get extra votes because of the reputation and greatness they have achieved.

For me Messi is a deserving winner of it, he went down as favourite the moment he won the coppa and the only reason people are upset about it now is because he has had a slow start to the season at PSG so his recent performances have not been to his usual level.

One thing I would definitely change is to have the voting and award done in September. There is no reason for it to continue on into the next season it doesn't really make sense if you ask me.
Correct. People have memories like goldfish so they cannot remember how he was playing even a few months ago. If he’d had a fast start at PSG in terms of goals, then there would have been a lot less complaints. Which is silly, because that’s like 15-20% of the period that is voted on.

Gehrman

Correct. People have memories like goldfish so they cannot remember how he was playing even a few months ago. If he’d had a fast start at PSG in terms of goals, then there would have been a lot less complaints. Which is silly, because that’s like 15-20% of the period that is voted on.
People are also upset because most of the caf switched to Ronaldo as the goat after he became our player again.

Status
Not open for further replies.