Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Damn the Balon'dor looks absolutely dreadful both in Brazilian voters and these other country ones like Argentina and Georgia. Horrific stuff.

Bebestation

It’s been like that for quite some time now but I agree
I didn't even know it was a Journalists thing- I thought people who watched football would vote for it like you or me.

The Journalists voting thing seems very 1950's type thing where not everyone had a TV to watch football or something so they let the Journalists pick the best player of the year.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I didn't even know it was a Journalists thing- I thought people who watched football would vote for it like you or me.

The Journalists voting thing seems very 1950's type thing where not everyone had a TV to watch football or something so they let the Journalists pick the best player of the year.
in fairness though if it was just up to the players they’d all just vote for their teammates

Zen

I can't find any record of it online, but I have a distinct memory of reading in World Soccer magazine that some journalist or manager had voted for Marco van Basten one year in the mid-90s when he hadn't played a match for about 2 years :lol:.
That can't be true? Surely... I thought the players were picked separately and then the list of 30 was sent to the journo's to vote on. Though just wouldn't surprise me though.

Eplel

His average for United is about 1 completed dribble pr. game. Messi's for PSG is 2 which is low for his standard.
Yeah but one plays in the hardest league of the world, and the other plays in a farmer's league where his yearly salary is equal to the yearly salary of entire teams.

MrEleson

Yeah but one plays in the hardest league of the world, and the other plays in a farmer's league where his yearly salary is equal to the yearly salary of entire teams.
Not to mention, Ronaldo is supposed to be this stationary penalty box poacher while Messi is a midfield maestro and playmaking extraordinaire.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ok that looks really odds. But its true Messi has been underwhelming this season, not only on goals, but also on dribbling.
He shouldn't drop that much though, last season he was still on 4.5 dribble per game and still comfortably among the elites, doesn't make any sense to drop that much this season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not to mention, Ronaldo is supposed to be this stationary penalty box poacher while Messi is a midfield maestro and playmaking extraordinaire.
Yes, that's obviously bullshit. Of course Ronaldo dribbles and creates just as much as Messi. Don't let anybody tell you anything else.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi's average is 3 in the cl.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
So a short while ago, I suggested that Messi might have started better at PSG than Ronaldo at United, though I posited that neither has started particularly well.

I tried to say that obviously Ronaldo has scored more goals so far (12-6 at present) but I’d watched them both play and I was looking beyond just the goals and also factoring in how their teams were doing. I got told by some very agitated people that I’d ‘lost touch with reality.’

If you want to reduce everything to goals then sure, Ronaldo’s started better. Here are some of the non-goal related stats though, just for fun:

M R

Appearances

14 18*

Assists

3 2

XA

3.24 1.44

Successful Dribbles

26 17

Key passes

29 19

Big chances created

10 2

Aerial Duels

3 22

MOTM

3 5

Average match rating

7.59 7.42

Now in fairness, as I said above, Ronaldo’s is ahead in goals and all goal related aspects (gls per game, mins per goal, shots on target, shots per goal etc.). Just thought it was interesting to look at some of the other stuff as Messi plays deeper.

*Ronaldo’s stats include one 30 minute substitute appearance for Juventus and 17 appearances for Manchester United. All Messi’s stats are for PSG. Source MVRapp.

Red Stone

Ronaldo's goal contribution single-handedly moved United from probably flunking out of their CL group to being winners before the last game was even played. That alone puts him ahead of Messi this season regardless of what the stats say.

Messi also plays for a joke team in a joke league, so anything he does from this point in his career has a massive asterisk next to it.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Just read this and probably the place to share I think:
https://www.givemesport.com/1706855...football-legends-who-have-answered-the-debate

I'd agree with Zlatan. We'll see another Ronaldo in like 20 years. That lad Haaland would probably break all the scoring records in 10 years. But I don't think we'd see another Messi for another 50, even 100 years. He's simply one of a kind.
Injury-free, i think he will too, the fact that they are extending number of CL games soon will also help.

Thats one of the biggest reason why a lot of older goalscoring records got broken too, fewer games in the past.

Bebestation

https://www.givemesport.com/1706855...football-legends-who-have-answered-the-debate

I'd agree with Zlatan. We'll see another Ronaldo in like 20 years. That lad Haaland would probably break all the scoring records in 10 years. But I don't think we'd see another Messi for another 50, even 100 years. He's simply one of a kind.
You know this is quite interesting and it got me thinking..

It just struck me that when thinking about Messi, Maradonna has been mentioned arguably from the start of his career due to his playstyle, goals and winnings.

Who exactly has the last C Ronaldo been? Who was the last Ronaldo we have seen in his play style & consistency over so long?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Ronaldo's goal contribution single-handedly moved United from probably flunking out of their CL group to being winners before the last game was even played. That alone puts him ahead of Messi this season regardless of what the stats say.

Messi also plays for a joke team in a joke league, so anything he does from this point in his career has a massive asterisk next to it.
He’s scored crucial goals in the champions league for sure. But it was not a strong group, especially with all the issues Atalanta had.

Also, in the league he’s played 12 games and scored in 4 of them. Between a goal v West Ham and his latest brace v Arsenal, there was a period of 8 games where he scored one goal. A period including heavy defeats to Watford, Leicester and Liverpool and bad losses v City and Villa. I know Messi’s scoring record in a weaker Ligue Un (it’s not a joke league BTW) has been worse that that, but for me, he contributes more when he doesn’t score a goal.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He’s scored crucial goals in the champions league for sure. But it was not a strong group, especially with all the issues Atalanta had.

Also, in the league he’s played 12 games and scored in 4 of them. Between a goal v West Ham and his latest brace v Arsenal, there was a period of 8 games where he scored one goal. A period including heavy defeats to Watford, Leicester and Liverpool and bad losses v City and Villa. I know Messi’s scoring record in a weaker Ligue Un (it’s not a joke league BTW) has been worse that that, but for me, he contributes more when he doesn’t score a goal.
For me, the only competition i would compare them is in the CL, and tbf, Messi has also done well in the group stages.

Ligue 1? Messi needs substantially better numbers in terms of goals and assist for me to bother, the level gap between the two leagues is significant.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You know this is quite interesting and it got me thinking..

It just struck me that when thinking about Messi, Maradonna has been mentioned arguably from the start of his career due to his playstyle, goals and winnings.

Who exactly has the last C Ronaldo been? Who was the last Ronaldo we have seen in his play style & consistency over so long?
Well Maradona is not that similar to
Messi because he didn’t score nearly as many goals.

Re players that have been like CR7, I’d say Eusebio.

Bole Top

how often were past greats playing against each other on international stage? Messi & Ronaldo are obviously going to finish their careers without a single such encounter. is that unusual or it was the same with past legends?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
how often were past greats playing against each other on international stage? Messi & Ronaldo are obviously going to finish their careers without a single such encounter. is that unusual or it was the same with past legends?
They have played against each other at international level. 2 friendlies.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Well, the only way they could meet would be in the world cup(not counting friendlies), and there is a lot of luck involved in the draw, not to mention both sides(and both players) has been largely underwhelming in that tournament(Messi was good in 2014 tbf).

If both were from the same continent, i reckon they would have played a few official matches against each other though.

Last edited:

cyberman

Haaland won’t break any of Ronaldos records. It’s like 50 goals a year for 16 years straight to get to where Cristiano is now. Meanwhile we are seeing lesser clones of Messi such as Salah already

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Haaland won’t break any of Ronaldos records. It’s like 50 goals a year for 16 years straight to get to where Cristiano is now. Meanwhile we are seeing lesser clones of Messi such as Salah already
Messi's per game goal ratio is already better than Ronaldo's, so even in goal scoring which is supposed to be his biggest (and only) strength, he does not have an edge over Messi.
In terms of playmaking, creativity, dribbling skills etc, there is no comparison. So, it is naturally much more likely to have a Ronaldo like player in the next 10-20 years than Messi as being a consistent top goal-scorer for a long duration of time is not enough to be comparable to Messi while that is enough to be compared to Ronaldo.

If anything, it would take a long long time to have another player with 7 Ballon D'or, 6 Golden Shoe, 8 Pichichi, 4 IFFHS Best Playmaker , 5 international tournament MVP awards, all records btw (quite possibly, never).

Also, there are at least 10 other players who has better per game goal ratio than Ronaldo in international games, even Lukaku has similar (or higher) ratio to Ronaldo..

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
For me, the only competition i would compare them is in the CL, and tbf, Messi has also done well in the group stages.

Ligue 1? Messi needs substantially better numbers in terms of goals and assist for me to bother, the level gap between the two leagues is significant.
Ask and you shall receive: CL stats

M R

Games
5 5

Goals
5 6

XG
3.4 3.2

Assists
0 0

XA
1.4 0.9

Shot Creating Actions
19 17

Goal Creating Actions
4 1

Touches
348 202

Carries
294 119

Succ. Dribbles
15 7

Completed Passes
252 129

Source: FBref

Gehrman

Salah isnt a lesser clone of Messi.

Gehrman

So a short while ago, I suggested that Messi might have started better at PSG than Ronaldo at United, though I posited that neither has started particularly well.

I tried to say that obviously Ronaldo has scored more goals so far (12-6 at present) but I’d watched them both play and I was looking beyond just the goals and also factoring in how their teams were doing. I got told by some very agitated people that I’d ‘lost touch with reality.’

If you want to reduce everything to goals then sure, Ronaldo’s started better. Here are some of the non-goal related stats though, just for fun:

M R

Appearances

14 18*

Assists

3 2

XA

3.24 1.44

Successful Dribbles

26 17

Key passes

29 19

Big chances created

10 2

Aerial Duels

3 22

MOTM

3 5

Average match rating

7.59 7.42

Now in fairness, as I said above, Ronaldo’s is ahead in goals and all goal related aspects (gls per game, mins per goal, shots on target, shots per goal etc.). Just thought it was interesting to look at some of the other stuff as Messi plays deeper.

*Ronaldo’s stats include one 30 minute substitute appearance for Juventus and 17 appearances for Manchester United. All Messi’s stats are for PSG. Source MVRapp.
Lets be honest. Messi has been underwhelming in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.