• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
If Ronaldo is so clutch that his clutchness is far clutchier than Messi's clutch then why wasn't Ronaldo clutchier last night? Juve could have done with some serious clutching from Ronaldo rather than the moderate clutch he showed.

You clutch?
I clutch and though I clutch what your clutching his clutching was dwindled by sub par clutchness of the clutch clutch .

You clutch?

SportingCP96

Supports
See, you say they went head to head, I don't. They've got a similar trophy cabinet, somewhat (!) similar goal stats and that's it. I watched both play a lot and throughout Messi's best year I was even rooting for Madrid but honestly, what Messi does on a football pitch is unique in his generation. Ronaldo can solely compete in terms of superficial and context-free statistics like goals and titles.

But yeah, I'd let Ronaldo take the penalty as well. If I had the choice to play Ronaldo or Messi and could sub them in and out as I pleased I'd sub Ronaldo in for indirect set pieces and penalties and sub Messi back in as soon as the ball is in play.
Laughable. Don’t even see the need to respond to that which is why I try to stay away from this topic.

Saffron

Laughable. Don’t even see the need to respond to that which is why I try to stay away from this topic.
Why do you keep deflecting every time it gets difficult and you can’t just spam your usual canned replies? Zehner addressed the linchpin of Ronaldo’s entire case for being the best of his generation and you don’t have an answer. Because there isn’t one.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Van Dijk and Sterling might depending on how the rest of the season goes imo. Everything still to play for in Europe and there's the international tournaments in the summer.

With Modric winning it last season, it's anything but a certainty despite Messi being the clear favourite as of now.
Fair points but in regards to Sterling:

Sterling is on 17 goals and 9 assists in PL. Messi is on 32 goals and 12 assists in La Liga.

Sterling is on 3 goals and 2 assists in CL. Messi is on 10 goals and 3 assists in CL.

Furthermore, if you remove stats from the equation, the amount that Messi contributes on the field comfortably exceeds Sterling's contribution.

The trophy argument only really matters if it's a World Cup year or Ronaldo/Mbappe/Neymar wins the CL. Any other player winning a league and/or CL trophy doesn't elevate them enough since they're simply not individually good enough.

SportingCP96

Supports
Why do you keep deflecting every time it gets difficult and you can’t just spam your usual canned replies? Zehner addressed the linchpin of Ronaldo’s entire case for being the best of his generation and you don’t have an answer. Because there isn’t one.
Are you mental? The reason I said it’s laughable is because when he said “ I would sub him in for penalties and that’s it” you have to be one special chap to say something like that.

You want an answer? Fine. Talent alone does noe men’s shet it means feck all and too Messi case he has done plenty with it which is why he is up their in the Mount Rushmore alongside Ronaldo. The idea from the Messi brigade that Ronaldo is just a poacher and has no talent or nothing else he is good at is laughable at best. We are talking about a player who in his career has changed his style of play immaculately 3x. Do you know how hard that is? He is the best Header of all time. Is that not skill an ability? Left foot and right foot is the same with him. Messi can’t say that. Ronaldo DOMINATED 3(*) leagues in his career and not just 3 leagues the 3 best fecking leagues in the world. He WON a major trophy with his country and say what you want about “ the other things having no meaning” but part of being a GOAT is not just talented it’s that MJ, Brady ability to lead a team to perform better when the pressure is on. 2-0 to Atletico he powered his team back in. I would bet my house Messi would not be able to and it’s not because of lack of talent it’s because he lacks that “thing” Ronaldo has performed at a similar and better and more consistent level all while having for a majority of his career lesser quality around him.

What he has achieved in unprecedented and remarkable yet gets down played by you lot because “Messi looks nicer on the ball” might as well get the lube and finish him off.

3 leagues dominated. Greatest CL player OF ALL TIME. European champion with Portugal. Multiple other accolades.

We have yet to see Messi out of his comfort zone (Barca) the only time we have and will ever be able to is in Argentina where he is not the same player.

Hope that’s good enough of you.

Not responding is not deflecting a question or statement but rather refusing to acknowledge something so fecking stupid.

Hala Madrid

Supports
Realmadrid
If Ronaldo is so clutch that his clutchness is far clutchier than Messi's clutch then why wasn't Ronaldo clutchier last night? Juve could have done with some serious clutching from Ronaldo rather than the moderate clutch he showed.

You clutch?
Have you forgotten his clutchness against Atletico a few weeks ago?
By the way, where was messi's clutchness against Roma last season, against Juve the season before that, and against Atletico the season before that? Also not forgetting that Messi managed to luckily score against a very mediocre United side that was already counted out before the match... have some dignity my friend

SportingCP96

Supports
By the way, where was messi's clutchness against Roma last season, against Juve the season before that, and against Atletico the season before that? Also not forgetting that Messi managed to luckily score against a very mediocre United side that was already counted out before the match... have some dignity my friend
Like I said it’s Been FOUR years since Ronaldo finally lost in this competition I understand the excitement considering Messi has never done that EVER even with the best Barca side of all time.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
But ridiculous to say Messi was "lucky" to score against a mediocre United side when that same Ronaldo lost to an even worse version of this United squad. Ronaldo has had his share of missed moments whether they're crucial penalties, or only winning the league twice in 9 years.

Ronaldo is "clutch" for sure, but it goes both ways. He was also "lucky" to get a De Gea mistake in the world cup but I'm sure you won't mention that.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Like I said it’s Been FOUR years since Ronaldo finally lost in this competition I understand the excitement considering Messi has never done that EVER even with the best Barca side of all time.
And Ronaldo has never won back to back La Liga's

CL is better, but it goes both ways.

SportingCP96

Supports
And Ronaldo has never won back to back La Liga's

CL is better, but it goes both ways.
That says more about the quality of Barcelona then it does about Ronaldo. In fact that proves another point I stated.

MalcolmTucker

Are you mental? The reason I said it’s laughable is because when he said “ I would sub him in for penalties and that’s it” you have to be one special chap to say something like that.

You want an answer? Fine. Talent alone does noe men’s shet it means feck all and too Messi case he has done plenty with it which is why he is up their in the Mount Rushmore alongside Ronaldo. The idea from the Messi brigade that Ronaldo is just a poacher and has no talent or nothing else he is good at is laughable at best. We are talking about a player who in his career has changed his style of play immaculately 3x. Do you know how hard that is? He is the best Header of all time. Is that not skill an ability? Left foot and right foot is the same with him. Messi can’t say that. Ronaldo DOMINATED 3(*) leagues in his career and not just 3 leagues the 3 best fecking leagues in the world. He WON a major trophy with his country and say what you want about “ the other things having no meaning” but part of being a GOAT is not just talented it’s that MJ, Brady ability to lead a team to perform better when the pressure is on. 2-0 to Atletico he powered his team back in. I would bet my house Messi would not be able to and it’s not because of lack of talent it’s because he lacks that “thing” Ronaldo has performed at a similar and better and more consistent level all while having for a majority of his career lesser quality around him.

What he has achieved in unprecedented and remarkable yet gets down played by you lot because “Messi looks nicer on the ball” might as well get the lube and finish him off.

3 leagues dominated. Greatest CL player OF ALL TIME. European champion with Portugal. Multiple other accolades.

We have yet to see Messi out of his comfort zone (Barca) the only time we have and will ever be able to is in Argentina where he is not the same player.

Not responding is not deflecting a question or statement but rather refusing to acknowledge something so fecking stupid.
Has he really dominated Serie A? He's forth top scorer in a Juventus side that has won the league 7 times in a row and is being outscored by a 36 year old Quagliarella.

Problem with Ronaldo fans is that they equate team accolades to Ronaldo and only factor in goals when critiquing performances. Individually he doesn't have the ability to do the things that Messi does on the pitch and scoring a bunch of headers, weaker-footed goals and penalties in CL KO games, despite being incredibly effective, isn't enough to bridge the gap. Some skills aren't equal no matter how much you wish they were.

Portugal won the Euro but individually Messi performed better at WC2014 and the following Copa than Ronaldo did at that tournament. It's nice that Ronaldo has an international trophy but his most iconic moment during it was waving his hands from the sidelines in the final.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Penalties bring up a fun fact. Ronaldo holds the La Liga records for both most penalties scored (61) and most penalties taken (72), in his 9 seasons in La Liga. Messi has been involved in 15 Liga seasons for comparison. Suarez has taken plenty of Barca's penalties, and so did Neymar.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Dominated 3 leagues. What nonsense is that. He made a big difference to juve who are on for their fecking 8th title in a row. This title means shit they would win it without him. Dominated la liga did he 2 in 9 years is domination is it ??? No GOAT has a league record like that.

SportingCP96

Supports
Penalties bring up a fun fact. Ronaldo holds the La Liga records for both most penalties scored (61) and most penalties taken (72), in his 9 seasons in La Liga. Messi has been involved in 15 Liga seasons for comparison. Suarez has taken plenty of Barca's penalties, and so did Neymar.
Because Messi quite frankly can’t take a penalty to save his life.

SportingCP96

Supports
Dominated 3 leagues. What nonsense is that. He made a big difference to juve who are on for their fecking 8th title in a row. This title means shit they would win it without him. Dominated la liga did he 2 in 9 years is domination is it ??? No GOAT has a league record like that.
Individually yes. He did and broke every record there was to break in the time he was their. He also came up against better Barca team most of the time. Winning a 3 peat and dominating the CL is also GOAT things may I add.

SportingCP96

Supports
Messi, you mean. Without him Barca wouldn't be anywhere near as dominant.
Well ya he adds to that quality ? Same way Madrid would never have won the CL 3x in a row like they did what’s your point?

Messi one of the greatest of all time in also the best team of all time, like I said Messi has played with better players for most of his career.

SportingCP96

Supports
Hence why I put a Star next to it because it just started. He will more then likely win a CL with juve. And still winning the title is winning the title?

SportingCP96

Supports
You guys contradict yourself with everything you just said:lol: like I said Ronaldo gets everything he does downplayed it’s hilarious.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Fair points but in regards to Sterling:

Sterling is on 17 goals and 9 assists in PL. Messi is on 32 goals and 12 assists in La Liga.

Sterling is on 3 goals and 2 assists in CL. Messi is on 10 goals and 3 assists in CL.

Furthermore, if you remove stats from the equation, the amount that Messi contributes on the field comfortably exceeds Sterling's contribution.

The trophy argument only really matters if it's a World Cup year or Ronaldo/Mbappe/Neymar wins the CL. Any other player winning a league and/or CL trophy doesn't elevate them enough since they're simply not individually good enough.
Winning the quadruple would... and he has the Nations League during the summer too.

Tonight's performance will help his case a lot if they make it through too. Modric won it last year playing at a lower level than Sterling has this year.

Messi is the big favourite and rightly so, it's never decided by April though.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Winning the quadruple would... and he has the Nations League during the summer too.

Tonight's performance will help his case a lot if they make it through too. Modric won it last year playing at a lower level than Sterling has this year.

Messi is the big favourite and rightly so, it's never decided by April though.
You think Nations League will have much merit? It's such a new tournament.

And I do agree, it's never decided by April, and assuming Liverpool beat Barca then it could very well be up in the air again.

Henry

Supports
FCB
Well, I guess sterling is out of the equation for ballon'dor.

Tostao_80

This post is pute delusion at its finest.
If youre going to defend Cristiano, you're going to have to do better. You still havent explained how Cristiano was better than Leo in 2015.
But anyway, onto this post. You claim that Cristiano has dominated Serie A. Well that has already been debunked. He wasnt He's simply having a good season, amongst other players who a having a good seasons. Infact, hes being outperformed by a 36 year old who is carrying his team (Fabio is involved in 56% of his teams goals).
And what abilities does Cristiano have that you mention, heading and being both footed. Admirable qualities but in the context of GOAT, they arent considered as important as dribbling and passing. How many professional footballers woukd pick heading and two footedness over passing and dribbling? Or are you now claiming that Gerd Muller was better than Diego because he was better in the air and was better with both feet? Would you say that Benzema is better tgan Raul for the same reason, Pogba is more both footed than David Silva and is better in the air, who is better? I could go on with many more examples. Its a poor argument.
Cristiano doesnt sit up there with Pele, Diego and Leo, he simply doesn't have the game. He is missing that level of genius that they had (Capello). He's a player with a very good game, who scores a lot of goals. Leo is a player with a great game, who scores a lot of goals, considerable difference.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Take the goals out of Ronaldo and you get Nani. Take the goals out of Messi and you get Xavi.

Someone else said it but I thought it was well put.
:lol: Except for the fact that Messi plays nowhere near where Xavi used to, so you're making a fool of yourself just like the person who came up with that idiotic quote. :houllier:
it's quite telling that Ronaldo absolutely has to win CL for this thread to stay alive. that's what so called "Messi brigade" were saying all along though. the fact he's been already written off even by his fans says it all, even though it's far from certain Barca will win CL this year. it's almost as close to admitting he simply can't be compared to Messi as individual unless he can somehow compensate it (with CL trophy). any other scenario is dead end for him in this debate; they both break leg at the start of the season - Messi remains better. they both go out in quarters - Messi remains better. Messi wins CL - Messi just confirms what was already obvious etc.
There wasn't much debate to be had in the last 3 years, since Messi gets nowhere near the argument whilst losing again and again in the CL QF. It's more down to the Messi brigade being much more irrational and persistent that they keep him in the conversation.
Messi's first goal vs Utd yesterday was better than any goal scored by CR this season.
:lol: How often do you watch Juve?

Cal?

CR7 fan
I know you like Cristiano but you conveniently forgot 2015. Or did you think Leo wasn't better in 2015. He won the Balon Dor that year (comfortably).

http://www.cityam.com/232176/lionel...ts-behind-the-barcelona-stars-incredible-year

I do admire your efforts though. Once Leo wins his 6th Balon Dor and leaves Cristiano stuck on 5, what will you say then?
IF Messi wins it this year, Ronaldo would have still received more votes than Messi in 10 out of 16 years. ;)

SportingCP96

Supports
This post is pute delusion at its finest.
If youre going to defend Cristiano, you're going to have to do better. You still havent explained how Cristiano was better than Leo in 2015.
But anyway, onto this post. You claim that Cristiano has dominated Serie A. Well that has already been debunked. He wasnt He's simply having a good season, amongst other players who a having a good seasons. Infact, hes being outperformed by a 36 year old who is carrying his team (Fabio is involved in 56% of his teams goals).
And what abilities does Cristiano have that you mention, heading and being both footed. Admirable qualities but in the context of GOAT, they arent considered as important as dribbling and passing. How many professional footballers woukd pick heading and two footedness over passing and dribbling? Or are you now claiming that Gerd Muller was better than Diego because he was better in the air and was better with both feet? Would you say that Benzema is better tgan Raul for the same reason, Pogba is more both footed than David Silva and is better in the air, who is better? I could go on with many more examples. Its a poor argument.
Cristiano doesnt sit up there with Pele, Diego and Leo, he simply doesn't have the game. He is missing that level of genius that they had (Capello). He's a player with a very good game, who scores a lot of goals. Leo is a player with a great game, who scores a lot of goals, considerable difference.
So Ronaldo is not a good dribbler? Or getting passed players? I mean he has not done that his whole career right?

He is also a great crosser. Is that not a skill? He reads the game as well as the best of em his in game awareness is incredible. Is that not a skill? And yes being able to shoot with the same efficiency with both feet is a skill. Heading the way he does is a skill. Or are they not skills because you the almighty said so? And because it makes Messi look better to you. That’s also not to even bring up the intangibles which Ronaldo is lengths distance off of Messi and those are important as well. That X factor is what separates goats like Brady and Jordan. Or does that matter either right?

As for your Seria A jibe did you even bother reading what I put next to it? I put (*) because I didn’t say he dominated this season ( first year new league new coach new tactics and missed many games as well.) the Star was to indicate that by the time he is done with that league he easily will have dominated it.

Look at Ronaldo’s assists from 09 onwards and tell me he is just goals. Have you into started watching Ronaldo circa 2017? He changed and molded his game THREE different times and stayed at the top. Is that not a “skill” no right? Because In your biased mind the player who plays prettier is better. Utter shite. If Messi was so easily better he would not have been overshadowed Ronaldo as many times as he has in his career.

Also about 2015.

13/14,15/16,16/17 and 17/18 was the 4 year stretch I was talking about.

14/15 Ronaldo 61 goals and 21 assists
Messi 58 goals 27 assists

Ya wow Messi was so much better.2010/2011 Ronaldo also was neck and neck. The difference between them that season was their team.

Also Ronaldo has averaged around the same amount of assists as Messi from 09/10 onwards. So this whole Ronaldo is just goals bs can be put to bed now. You guys choose to see what you want to see or are just that daft.

*RoNalDo iS jUsT gOaLS

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
“Diference in skill is so great” that’s a complete exagerariam because if that was the case they would not Head to Head and toe to toe there whole careers.

People treat Ronaldo like he has no skill at all and all he is is Pipo Inzaghi 2.0. Get a grip.

Also small margin in “clutcheness”’is a understatement as well.

WC final 0-0 96th minute in the game and you get a penalty. I know who I am taking 10x out of 10. Same thing in a penalty shootout.
I think the point is that although Ronaldo is incredibly skillfull, in my view anyway, he just lacks overall lacks that overall genius and ease on the ball that players like Cruyff, Maradonna and Messi have. He entirely makes up for it though by being a supreme goalscorer. And he is skillfull. He was a fantastic winger at United with a tricky skillset and has now turned into a complete poacher.

IFC 1905

In my opinion if Ronaldo played more like at United and didn't focus in just scoring he would have had the same career (trophies) with less goals but he'd be rated higher (messi/pele/diego level) which he clearly isn't.

MalcolmTucker

14/15 Ronaldo 61 goals and 21 assists
Messi 58 goals 27 assists

Ya wow Messi was so much better.2010/2011 Ronaldo also was neck and neck. The difference between them that season was their team.

Also Ronaldo has averaged around the same amount of assists as Messi from 09/10 onwards. So this whole Ronaldo is just goals bs can be put to bed now. You guys choose to see what you want to see or are just that daft.

*RoNalDo iS jUsT gOaLS
If you think Ronaldo was better than Messi (or even equal) in 14/15 then you're demented. Messi was putting on masterclasses against Man City and Bayern in the CL while grabbing a treble.

And assists stats are largely meaningless, it's not debatable who creates more chances for their team mates. Ronaldo is just a goalscorer these days, while Messi is a playmaker and a goalscorer and Messi is better at both currently (and overall in their careers, as he has a better goals p/g ratio).

SportingCP96

Supports
If you think Ronaldo was better than Messi (or even equal) in 14/15 then you're demented. Messi was putting on masterclasses against Man City and Bayern in the CL while grabbing a treble.

And assists stats are largely meaningless, it's not debatable who creates more chances for their team mates. Ronaldo is just a goalscorer these days, while Messi is a playmaker and a goalscorer and Messi is better at both currently (and overall in their careers, as he has a better goals p/g ratio).
Their difference in 14/15 was the quality of there teams and not the other way around. Put Neymar and Suarez with Ronaldo and the treble goes the other way so that is futile.

“It’s not debatable who creates more chances”. Cool. What matters are the numbers that make the goals and if Messi creates 5 more chances but gets 2 assists and Ronaldo creates 2 chances and gets 2 assists I don’t see the difference.

That’s besides Bringing up the fact that Messi out of la liga and Barcelona would have his stats reduced by a noticeable amount despite still being world class.

Schneckerl

Where he had the help from the ref and still scored his goal.

5/5 goals from all Juve knockout-stage goals. What else should he do? Flying?
Ronaldo is trash in the post-VAR era. Real would have won zero CL from 2016-18 and that's the only thing he has going for him. His legacy is pure luck.

SportingCP96

Supports
Ronaldo is trash in the post-VAR era. Real would have won zero CL from 2016-18.
"Ronaldo is trash"

Comments like that make it that no can take anything you say seriously on this topic. If you think "Ronaldo is trash" then I suggest taking on a new hobby and watching a different sport cause you haven't got a clue about this sport.

Paddy1983

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo fanboys make me laugh. Ronaldo is better in 1 area "The air" everything else messi is miles ahead.

Messi is 18 goals behind ronaldo and played wait for it ...... 150 less games with 62 more assists. Fhey dont even compare as goalscorers.

3 leagues dominated???? Really

How many la liga titles has ronaldo won vs Messi. Juventus will win the leagie for the first time in how many years this year thanks to Ronaldo.

It will kill the ronaldo fanboys seeing Messi win the Balon Dor. Because Ronaldo fans love winning individual awards. I doubt Messi cares. Sad thing is when he does win it Ronaldo wont get the chance again because of age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.