• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I’d argue there could be an argument that would put him as the most talented individual of any sport ever since he impacts a team game so dramatically by his very presence. Roger Federer is a genius on the tennis court but I can’t say he stirs up the same emotion as watching Messi. A few other candidates in American sports maybe but only a handful of names at best.
The most talented people I've seen in sport are Messi, Federer and Ronnie O' Sullivan. Maybe other people would put Tiger Woods up there, I don't really like golf, though.

But, as I have argued elsewhere, I would put Messi a little ahead of the other two as he stands out so, so much in a team sport. Which is not easy to do.

Mike Smalling

BTW it's important to note that last night changed nothing.

Messi was a far better player than Ronaldo (who is a brilliant player, who has undoubtedly been the second best player of his generation) before last night, and he would still have been far better regardless of the result.

One 90-minute match in one competition cannot change this one way or another, just as winning trophies in a team sport is no reasonable way to measure the quality of an individual player.

You simply have to watch Messi and Ronaldo play, and then anyone objective will inevitably conclude that Messi is far superior.

Indeed, everyone credible already knows that Messi is better than Ronaldo. No-one who is paid to give a professional opinion on football - unless they are Portugese and concerned that Ronaldo won't give them interviews any more - will ever say that Ronaldo is better than Messi. Because you would lose all credibility if you said that, the simple reason being that Messi has so much more to his game, and contributes so much more than Ronaldo, which is the absolute essence of what a footballer is!

If you don't believe me then I can dredge up the lengthy list of people who have described Messi as the best of all-time in the media, and the two people who have described Ronaldo that way (one of whom was Ronaldo himself!) if required, but we all know that it's the case anyway, unless you literally never look at any media whatsoever, mute all game commentary and pundit comments, and avoid all coverage of football!

The only people who question Messi being better than Ronaldo are some unfortunate individuals, who somewhere down the line have decided that Ronaldo is their favourite player, perhaps because they're Portugese, or support Man United, and are unable to face up to the obvious reality that although Ronaldo is their favourite player, Messi is better.

At this point, where Messi is universally regarded as one of the top three players of all-time, and by many people the absolute GOAT, the mature and dignified thing to do would be to accept the situation.

I am a fan of Federer, or at least I admire his player and believe him to be the most talented tennis player ever. However, if Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal goes past his records then Federer will remain my favourite, but I will accept that Nadal or Djokovic deserves to be regarded as the best player ever.

Messi has long since demonstrated that his level on a football field is far above that of Ronaldo, and this is already known to be the case by players, ex-players, commentators, pundits, journalists; ie. the objective and the informed. Regardless of what anyone says now, Messi will go down as the greatest player of his generation, and the majority will regard him as the greatest footballer ever.

The mature human being would now accept this.
Well put. Agree with pretty much every word. The mental gymnastics by Ronaldo fans claiming he is the better player is nothing short of incredible. Typically they can be put in one of three categories: Portuguese people, Real Madrid fans or Manchester United fans (who for some reason still adore him).

As someone else mentioned, it could be great if someone could fix or reset the poll. Pretty sure it is grossly inaccurate at this point.

Enigma_87

You know who
The most talented people I've seen in sport are Messi, Federer and Ronnie O' Sullivan. Maybe other people would put Tiger Woods up there, I don't really like golf, though.

But, as I have argued elsewhere, I would put Messi a little ahead of the other two as he stands out so, so much in a team sport. Which is not easy to do.
Not sure if you are serious. Federer is doing unimaginable things at the age of 37-38 in an individual sport where you can't hide behind your team mates from time to time or have an off day like playing in the league or having a second tie. Tennis and football are very different sports and whilst football is a lot more popular, Federer has enormous fanbase and much more marketable than Messi(in regards to the emotion point).

Federer is definitely the most talented I've ever seen in sports, Messi included. So far Messi ages pretty well, but to be able to play day in and day out 3-4 hour matches past your thirties beating guys half your age and still winning titles is nothing short of incredible.

MalcolmTucker

He has been better than Messi in the CL down the years, it's just funny seeing the Messi brigade getting all excited about this year after 3 years of utter Ronaldo domination in the CL.
Messi's CL perfomances this season so far have been better than Ronaldo's performances in the last 3 CL campaigns. Ronaldo is amazing at scoring headers, tap-ins and penalties but he can't do what Messi can do all over the pitch throughout the game. That's the difference.

Bwuk

Ronaldo for me > Messi.

Not sure why people get so upset over the debate. Comes down to personal preference.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What Messi did tonight, he hasn't done it since 2015.
But Ronaldo has been doing it every year from 2014 to 2019*

The revisionism is pathetic, Ronaldo has 4 or 5 performances as good or better than what Messi did against Liverpool, both Bayern games in 2017, Atletico 1st leg, Juventus in the final, Wolfsburg 2nd leg, PSG 1st leg, Juventus 1st leg in 2018 or Atletico 2nd leg this year
Disagree. Ronaldo hasn't had a game as good as this one for the last 6-7 years across all competitions, let alone in the KO stages. Putting a couple in the back of the net isn't the same as regularly taking the whole defense of a top side on alone, setting up 3-4 chances with great passing and scoring a free kick like this.

trafford1980

Ronaldo is phenomenal, a clinical machine. He's Ivan Drago. Statistically he's one of (perhaps even) the greatest ever but to my naked eye Messi has always been the better player. He's magic.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's quite absurd isn't it, his extraterrestrial preeminence in so many aspects of attacking? Over the course of his career he has been a dribbler that's reckoned in the company of Maradona and Best...nonchalantly dissecting defensive organisations like a hot knife through butter, a final third passer that's every bit as good as Cruyff and Laudrup with 250+ assists in terms of pure numbers, a scorer of the caliber of Romário and Puskás, a free kick taker who's up there with Beckham and Zico, really. We've gotten to a point where things that are career highlights for certain players are but a mundane monthly feature for Messi. Won't delve into the whole vs. Ronaldo debate because the the latter has his own set of qualities and seems to possess the Brady/Jordan gene of absolute determination when the spotlight's shining on him, but in terms of pure and comprehensive attacking/playmaking majesty, there won't ever be someone as complete as the the little wizard — like, even when Messi's legs are completely gone, he'll just hang back as an old-school #10 and dictate the game with his golden touch and incisive passing range.

Another couple of seasons like this one and he'll be within striking distance of the All-Time League scoring records, too (currently on 417 La Liga goals)...

I think his abilities have been matched by past players but to combine them all is incredible. What does set him aside is how consistent he has been over so many seasons. Maybe Pele is the only one comparable. The only blot in his career and what will hold him back in the no. 1 GOAT discussions is his lack of international trophies. Although he has time to rectify this.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Ronaldo for me > Messi.

Not sure why people get so upset over the debate. Comes down to personal preference.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but of course you are wrong here.

The only way they are close is in terms of goal scoring and even at that Messi is probably better.

Absolutely everything else is not close. Messi comes into midfield and still matches Ronaldo for goals.

He is the best passer in the world. He is the best dribbler. He is the most creative player. He dictates the game. He is on a different planet to anyone that has ever played the game.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
The Balon d'Or count probably indicates that it does.
Not a good argument.

Award has been based purely on winning the UCL in the last few seasons.

And if that is what you are going off, Modric is the best player in the world so.

Bole Top

Messi was a far better player than Ronaldo (who is a brilliant player, who has undoubtedly been the second best player of his generation) before last night, and he would still have been far better regardless of the result.
it's incredible that some people still don't get this. whoever think Messi is simply a better player, doesn't think that way because Barca are on course to win another CL. trophies are bonus for Messi, but they're everything for Ronaldo because he's just inferior player to begin with and there's no shame in that. that's why this thread is devoid of any discussion about their individual qualities and it's mostly centered on their club/NT trophies - because there is almost nothing left to discuss when it comes to their individual ability. there's even less to discuss when Ronaldo's team don't win everything because that's his only argument in this debate, even on United forum. if Barca were to win treble this year and repeat it next year, it still wouldn't matter that much in this debate because it's not something that majority of "Messi brigade" base their opinion on.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
it's incredible that some people still don't get this. whoever think Messi is simply a better player, doesn't think that way because Barca are on course to win another CL. trophies are bonus for Messi, but they're everything for Ronaldo because he's just inferior player to begin with and there's no shame in that. that's why this thread is devoid of any discussion about their individual qualities and it's mostly centered on their club/NT trophies - because there is almost nothing left to discuss when it comes to their individual ability. there's even less to discuss when Ronaldo's team don't win everything because that's his only argument in this debate, even on United forum. if Barca were to win treble this year and repeat it next year, it still wouldn't matter that much in this debate because it's not something that majority of "Messi brigade" base their opinion on.
I think this debate mostly centers on the difference in definition of what "best" means. I think it's a fair point of view to use the awards you win as the metric for this. I personally don't, since there are too many factors that decide football matches to really attribute a victory to the contribution of a single player. But still, saying Ronaldo was a better player than Messi for the last couple of seasons is by no means a laughable suggestion. It's not something I necessarily agree with, but I can see the point.

To me, Messi is obviously a more gifted football player, but Ronaldo is a more successful football player.

But I suppose that's why I get accused of having a half-and-half scarf.

Ixion

The way I see it is Ronaldo will be remembered for his goals, his scoring record. Messi has basically the same record but it is what he can do with the ball that people will remember, you could take away all his goals and he'd still be the best.

hkjack

Supports
Man City
Messi's CL perfomances this season so far have been better than Ronaldo's performances in the last 3 CL campaigns. Ronaldo is amazing at scoring headers, tap-ins and penalties but he can't do what Messi can do all over the pitch throughout the game. That's the difference.
Agree. Messi this year CL performance rating is 8.94 in whoscored~
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/11119/History/Lionel-Messi
C Ronaldo was around 8 to 8.1 last 3 years despite he had more goals~

Messi do much more than just scoring.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Not sure if you are serious. Federer is doing unimaginable things at the age of 37-38 in an individual sport where you can't hide behind your team mates from time to time or have an off day like playing in the league or having a second tie. Tennis and football are very different sports and whilst football is a lot more popular, Federer has enormous fanbase and much more marketable than Messi(in regards to the emotion point).

Federer is definitely the most talented I've ever seen in sports, Messi included. So far Messi ages pretty well, but to be able to play day in and day out 3-4 hour matches past your thirties beating guys half your age and still winning titles is nothing short of incredible.
I played tennis at national level with professional tennis players, and I hugely admire Federer. He is the most talented tennis player that I have ever seen. However, he may not be the best tennis player that I've ever seen. He has a losing record against Nadal, and a losing record against Djokovic, and they both have a chance to go past his records. Undoubtedly, what he is doing at his age is unprecedented, but ultimately if he retires with 20GS and Djokovic or Nadal get to 21 then it will be hard for him to legitimately claim to be the greatest player. Certainly, regardless of this, Nadal and Djokovic are in the same ballpark as Federer in terms of level of performance, and Nadal is clearly better on clay, while Djokovic is better on slow hard courts. If you put them on a fast court then Federer is the best ever, but even then he's lost twice to Djokovic at Wimbledon in recent years.

Whereas Messi is head and shoulders above anyone else that I've ever seen on a football pitch. Even compared to the absolute best players of all-time, I don't see anyone close to him. And it is harder to stand out in a a team game because you have 10 players to stop that one player. And every team goes into every game against Barcelona knowing they need to stop Messi, yet so rarely does it actually happen. It's different to an individual sport, where it is easier to stand out because, for example, Federer is just better than 99.9% of professional tennis players, and in a one-on-one contest there is almost nothing they can do to stop him, except hope that he has an off-day.

Cal?

CR7 fan
:lol: seriously?

The thing about the Messi brigade I can’t comprehend is the overrating of every Messi performance regardless of what he did.

Are you seriously saying he was good at OT, or even special at all against United at Camp Nou?

Cal?

CR7 fan
The way I see it is Ronaldo will be remembered for his goals, his scoring record. Messi has basically the same record but it is what he can do with the ball that people will remember, you could take away all his goals and he'd still be the best.
That’s plainly false, a Messi without goals isn’t 1/10 of the player he is.

Cal?

CR7 fan

One 90-minute match in one competition cannot change this one way or another, just as winning trophies in a team sport is no reasonable way to measure the quality of an individual player.

You simply have to watch Messi and Ronaldo play, and then anyone objective will inevitably conclude that Messi is far superior.

Indeed, everyone credible already knows that Messi is better than Ronaldo. No-one who is paid to give a professional opinion on football - unless they are Portugese and concerned that Ronaldo won't give them interviews any more - will ever say that Ronaldo is better than Messi. Because you would lose all credibility if you said that, the simple reason being that Messi has so much more to his game, and contributes so much more than Ronaldo, which is the absolute essence of what a footballer is!

If you don't believe me then I can dredge up the lengthy list of people who have described Messi as the best of all-time in the media, and the two people who have described Ronaldo that way (one of whom was Ronaldo himself!) if required, but we all know that it's the case anyway, unless you literally never look at any media whatsoever, mute all game commentary and pundit comments, and avoid all coverage of football!

The only people who question Messi being better than Ronaldo are some unfortunate individuals, who somewhere down the line have decided that Ronaldo is their favourite player, perhaps because they're Portugese, or support Man United, and are unable to face up to the obvious reality that although Ronaldo is their favourite player, Messi is better.

At this point, where Messi is universally regarded as one of the top three players of all-time, and by many people the absolute GOAT, the mature and dignified thing to do would be to accept the situation.

I am a fan of Federer, or at least I admire his player and believe him to be the most talented tennis player ever. However, if Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal goes past his records then Federer will remain my favourite, but I will accept that Nadal or Djokovic deserves to be regarded as the best player ever.

Messi has long since demonstrated that his level on a football field is far above that of Ronaldo, and this is already known to be the case by players, ex-players, commentators, pundits, journalists; ie. the objective and the informed. Regardless of what anyone says now, Messi will go down as the greatest player of his generation, and the majority will regard him as the greatest footballer ever.

The mature human being would now accept this.
The objective and informed have voted Ronaldo the better player in 10 of the last 15 years.

Never let the facts get in the way of your worshipping though

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Well put. Agree with pretty much every word. The mental gymnastics by Ronaldo fans claiming he is the better player is nothing short of incredible. Typically they can be put in one of three categories: Portuguese people, Real Madrid fans or Manchester United fans (who for some reason still adore him).

As someone else mentioned, it could be great if someone could fix or reset the poll. Pretty sure it is grossly inaccurate at this point.
I actually wonder about them...what do they do when commentators, pundits, journalists, players, ex-players, TV, newspapers, magazines, radio, Internet sites, social media, the general public - ie. everyone other than a few obsessed Ronaldo fans, who can't face reality - proclaim Messi to be, at worst, the best player in the world, and one of the three best ever. Do they put their fingers in their ears, and go "la, la, la, I can't hear this"? Do they avoid all football coverage? Does it eat away at them inside every time yet another person professionally employed to talk about football proclaims Messi to be the best? Do they ever feel ridiculous for having such a poorly-founded, almost heretic perspective and opinion?

At a certain point, I would just admit the obvious, but it seems that they're not able to do that. But I just wonder how they cope with the actual reality of Messi unanimously being considered better than Ronaldo, now widely considered the best player ever. They must feel a bit ridiculous at times.

Henry

Supports
FCB
The objective and informed have voted Ronaldo the better player in 10 of the last 15 years.

Never let the facts get in the way of your worshipping though
Source on this? Also, seems like a weird time frame to choose for this argument given that Messi was sixteen 15 years ago.

Enigma_87

You know who
I played tennis at national level with professional tennis players, and I hugely admire Federer. He is the most talented tennis player that I have ever seen. However, he may not be the best tennis player that I've ever seen. He has a losing record against Nadal, and a losing record against Djokovic, and they both have a chance to go past his records. Undoubtedly, what he is doing at his age is unprecedented, but ultimately if he retires with 20GS and Djokovic or Nadal get to 21 then it will be hard for him to legitimately claim to be the greatest player. Certainly, regardless of this, Nadal and Djokovic are in the same ballpark as Federer in terms of level of performance, and Nadal is clearly better on clay, while Djokovic is better on slow hard courts. If you put them on a fast court then Federer is the best ever, but even then he's lost twice to Djokovic at Wimbledon in recent years.

Whereas Messi is head and shoulders above anyone else that I've ever seen on a football pitch. Even compared to the absolute best players of all-time, I don't see anyone close to him. And it is harder to stand out in a a team game because you have 10 players to stop that one player. And every team goes into every game against Barcelona knowing they need to stop Messi, yet so rarely does it actually happen. It's different to an individual sport, where it is easier to stand out because, for example, Federer is just better than 99.9% of professional tennis players, and in a one-on-one contest there is almost nothing they can do to stop him, except hope that he has an off-day.
I've played both football and tennis. Tennis is definitely the more requiring sport on individual level, especially back to back grueling matches, let alone 90-100 matches these guys play every season.

Losing record against Nadal means little, same for Djokovic wins when Federer was way off his prime. You have to bear in mind that Federer is in his 20th year on tour and he and Nadal/Djokovic are good 6 years apart in terms of age. Djokovic compiled his record when Federer was pretty much off his peak and started to wane, along with back injuries, knee issues and so forth.

Doubt either Nadal or Djokovic will reach 20 slams, so that point is moot.

As for Messi- you have to compare different ages and generations. To me Pele is the best ever.

In Rainbows

Apart from the incredible passing and assists you mean?
Only goals matter. That's why Ronaldinho, Zidane, Kaka, Figo, etc.... all lost the Balon D'or to players with more goals than them. When they won it they had the most goals scored.

BTW, anyone know where the flat earth thread is? I need to yell at some of the Globe brigade.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Source on this? Also, seems like a weird time frame to choose for this argument given that Messi was sixteen 15 years ago.
Ronaldo received more votes in Ballon D'or voting in 10 out of the last 15 years. 2005 was the first year either of them got any votes.

The Messi brigade is more than happy with credit him with the CL 05/06, so I don't see why 2005 shouldn't count.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Thats great, not sure what that has got to do with Messi though.
That playing in such an advanced role without scoring makes for a pretty poor player.
Only goals matter. That's why Ronaldinho, Zidane, Kaka, Figo, etc.... all lost the Balon D'or to players with more goals than them. When they won it they had the most goals scored.
Messi fans being deliberately obtuse as usual. :rolleyes:

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I've played both football and tennis. Tennis is definitely the more requiring sport on individual level, especially back to back grueling matches, let alone 90-100 matches these guys play every season.

Losing record against Nadal means little, same for Djokovic wins when Federer was way off his prime. You have to bear in mind that Federer is in his 20th year on tour and he and Nadal/Djokovic are good 6 years apart in terms of age. Djokovic compiled his record when Federer was pretty much off his peak and started to wane, along with back injuries, knee issues and so forth.
I agree with you about the demands of tennis, however I don't think we can say that tennis is harder, therefore someone who plays tennis is automatically better.

As a Federer fan I have often argued what you have just argued about when Federer has faced them, it is a valid argument. However, the fact remains that Nadal and Djokovic are very close to Federer. I don't think anyone can reasonably deny that. Whereas I don't see anyone remotely close to Messi, in a sport which is played by more people than tennis.

But this is just personal opinion, it is very difficult to compare tennis players and footballers, I just think to stand out so much in a team sport as an individual is extremely difficult.

Enigma_87

You know who
I agree with you about the demands of tennis, however I don't think we can say that tennis is harder, therefore someone who plays tennis is automatically better.

As a Federer fan I have often argued what you have just argued about when Federer has faced them, it is a valid argument. However, the fact remains that Nadal and Djokovic are very close to Federer. I don't think anyone can reasonably deny that. Whereas I don't see anyone remotely close to Messi, in a sport which is played by more people than tennis.

But this is just personal opinion, it is very difficult to compare tennis players and footballers, I just think to stand out so much in a team sport as an individual is extremely difficult.
Messi is better mate, but surely I wouldn't call him head and shoulders ahead of Cristiano for example.

Not as good but close is probably fair argument.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Finally you grasp the difference between opinions and fact. Perhaps you'd like to explain to your fellow brigade members. :D

MalcolmTucker

:lol: seriously?

The thing about the Messi brigade I can’t comprehend is the overrating of every Messi performance regardless of what he did.

Are you seriously saying he was good at OT, or even special at all against United at Camp Nou?
I'm going for each CL campaign as a whole. Messi wasn't great at OT or Lyon but every other game he has been comfortably the best player on the pitch and games like last night and Lyon at the Nou Camp he played better than Ronaldo has shown in the last few years.

Tostao_80

BTW, anyone know where the flat earth thread is? I need to yell at some of the Globe brigade.
What a strange post. When did Zizou ever score the most goals? When did Kaka ever score the most?
Did you just say that only goals matter (as the current holder of the award is Luka Modric)?
This whole Balon Dor argument has already been debunked. Youve got Cal with his, but Cristiano had more votes in 10 years argument.
Gerrard and Lampard got many more votes than Paul Scholes. I guess that means they were better.
Getting more votes doesn't mean youre a better footballer. Did everyone all of sudden think that Modric was better than Leo because he had more votes last year?
France Football said in 1991, that the mighty Diego would only have won the Balon Dor twice if he were eligible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.10...llon-dor-holder-rule-change-made-earlier/amp/

That would have been less than Platinis 3. Cristiano fans would then be telling us that Platini was better than Diego.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What a strange post. When did Zizou ever score the most goals? When did Kaka ever score the most?
Did you just say that only goals matter (as the current holder of the award is Luka Modric)?
This whole Balon Dor argument has already been debunked. Youve got Cal with his, but Cristiano had more votes in 10 years argument.
Gerrard and Lampard got many more votes than Paul Scholes. I guess that means they were better.
Getting more votes doesn't mean youre a better footballer. Did everyone all of sudden think that Modric was better than Leo because he had more votes last year?
France Football said in 1991, that the mighty Diego would only have won the Balon Dor twice if he were eligible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.10...llon-dor-holder-rule-change-made-earlier/amp/

That would have been less than Platinis 3. Cristiano fans would then be telling us that Platini was better than Diego.
Think you're missing out on the irony buddy

MalcolmTucker

He was clearly joking. I agree with you that Messi is better but you are one of the densest posters in this thread and that's saying something.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Ronaldo received more votes in Ballon D'or voting in 10 out of the last 15 years. 2005 was the first year either of them got any votes.
The fact that you repeat such a desperate and obviously dumb argument again and again is actual proof that the Argentinian is the better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.