Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
An actual heat map of Messi for the entire season 17/18 showing him as a midfielder and you still deny it, this is why there is no reasoning with you and there is no changing your mind because you only want to see what you believe
That’s the heat map of a forward who gets to play or stand wherever he wants

Cal?

CR7 fan
A forward who just happens to drop into midfield and play there for most of the game
He clearly starts as a forward, if he likes dropping deep and his manager allows him to do whatever he wants, that does NOT make him a midfielder.

When Alves or Marcelo send more time in midfield than defense, that does NOT make them midfielders, they are still fullbacks.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
He clearly starts as a forward, if he likes dropping deep and his manager allows him to do whatever he wants, that does NOT make him a midfielder.

When Alves or Marcelo send more time in midfield than defense, that does NOT make them midfielders, they are still fullbacks.
No a starting formation means nothing, no position is ever fixed. Messi has clearly demonstrated he's more of a midfielder than anything else

Cal?

CR7 fan
No a starting formation means nothing, no position is ever fixed. Messi has clearly demonstrated he's more of a midfielder than anything else
By your logic, Marcelo and Alves are also midfielders?

Giggs86

Changed my previous vote from Ronaldo to Messi. I love Ronaldo but c'mon, this little Argentinian have non-human powers. The undisputed goat.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Changed my previous vote from Ronaldo to Messi. I love Ronaldo but c'mon, this little Argentinian have non-human powers. The undisputed goat.
Classic short-termism with this poll being opened now. :rolleyes:

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Finally you grasp the difference between opinions and fact. Perhaps you'd like to explain to your fellow brigade members. :D
If you care to look back at this thread, I've said several times that you can't literally prove that Messi is better than Ronaldo, or vice-versa. It is a matter of personal interpretation and opinion. Equally, someone could state that Neymar is better than both of them, and no-one could literally disprove this.

It is frankly astounding to me that anyone could possibly consider Cristiano Ronaldo to be a better footballer than Lionel Messi, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, as time goes by, it's quite obvious that the vast majority of credible and objective judges consider Messi to be better, which isn't surprising as he scores at least as many goals as Ronaldo (his career ratios are better), and scores more difficult goals far more often, while quite obviously being a far superior technical player in every department.

In fact, no-one on this thread has ever really argued against this from the Ronaldo 'side', it's more just feeble arguments about who won what titles and when. No-one can put forward any evidence to show that Ronaldo is a better footballer because it just wouldn't be taken seriously. If he's better at something on the field than Messi it's heading, Messi is better in every other department, including goalscoring and finishing. That's why the Ronaldo 'side' has to resort to silly arguments such as Ronaldo is better in the big games, Ronaldo is more clinical, Ronaldo has a better mentality, Ronaldo won the Euros, Messi has always played for Barcelona.

Any comparison of their actual play and what they have done on the field of play as footballers is never going to reflect well on Ronaldo; indeed, Messi has usually come out on top when they've played against each other. So, obviously, Messi is generally going to be regarded as the better player. But it is a matter of opinion, and anyone has the right to think whatever they choose.

Champagne Football

If you had to choose between watching 2 hours of Ronaldos greatest goals or Messi's then you're choosing Messi's every day of the week. That's why he's hands down the greatest

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Damn, the cleverly orchestrated scheme by the staff isn't as foolproof as they had hoped.
The best part is it was closed at the only time in history Ronaldo even came close in the poll to Messi and we only closed it because it was funny to have a 50/50 split. If we’d just left it open Ronaldo would have fallen behind months ago

Cal?

CR7 fan
If you care to look back at this thread, I've said several times that you can't literally prove that Messi is better than Ronaldo, or vice-versa. It is a matter of personal interpretation and opinion. Equally, someone could state that Neymar is better than both of them, and no-one could literally disprove this.

It is frankly astounding to me that anyone could possibly consider Cristiano Ronaldo to be a better footballer than Lionel Messi, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, as time goes by, it's quite obvious that the vast majority of credible and objective judges consider Messi to be better, which isn't surprising as he scores at least as many goals as Ronaldo (his career ratios are better), and scores more difficult goals far more often, while quite obviously being a far superior technical player in every department.

In fact, no-one on this thread has ever really argued against this from the Ronaldo 'side', it's more just feeble arguments about who won what titles and when. No-one can put forward any evidence to show that Ronaldo is a better footballer because it just wouldn't be taken seriously. If he's better at something on the field than Messi it's heading, Messi is better in every other department, including goalscoring and finishing. That's why the Ronaldo 'side' has to resort to silly arguments such as Ronaldo is better in the big games, Ronaldo is more clinical, Ronaldo has a better mentality, Ronaldo won the Euros, Messi has always played for Barcelona.

Any comparison of their actual play and what they have done on the field of play as footballers is never going to reflect well on Ronaldo; indeed, Messi has usually come out on top when they've played against each other. So, obviously, Messi is generally going to be regarded as the better player. But it is a matter of opinion, and anyone has the right to think whatever they choose.
As much as I disagree with most of your view, I don’t have an issue with it.

We’ve gone through this enough times, each goal is not valued the same, even showing up his year, Messi’s CL record is nothing compared to Ronaldo’s etc etc.

Anyway, it’s the Messi is better or you know nothing brigade that I despise

Enigma_87

You know who
The best part is it was closed at the only time in history Ronaldo even came close in the poll to Messi and we only closed it because it was funny to have a 50/50 split. If we’d just left it open Ronaldo would have fallen behind months ago
was 70-30 at some point for Messi I think?

fck

Supports
Bayern
Messi easily.. it's frankly a joke that this poll is so close to begin with.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Still Ronny for me, I don’t particularly like either of them so I’m not a fan boy. Just as a leader and an athelete I respect Ronaldo more when it comes to football.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It was closed as Ronaldo was about to take the lead and reopens at a time where even I am happy Messi put the scousers to the sword. :rolleyes:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It was closed as Ronaldo was about to take the lead and reopens at a time where even I am happy Messi put the scousers to the sword. :rolleyes:
Trust me when I say none of the staff give a shit who’s ahead in the poll

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Messi easily.. it's frankly a joke that this poll is so close to begin with.
It should if been closed in 2016 I agree. The debate ended that year and the following 2 combined.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
By the end of their respective careers, who would have been the better player overall? It’s got to be Messi. He is GOAT.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why would a Manchester United forum have a bias towards Messi :confused: if anything it would be the opposite.
I know plenty of United fans that hate Ronaldo, more so recently as the rainouts of his return were seen by him as simply as a way to get an improved contract at Real.

Giggs86

Classic short-termism with this poll being opened now. :rolleyes:
While I agree that Messi's stock is much higher at the moment due to obvious reasons, I changed my vote because pound for pound Messi is the best footballer of all time.

I voted for Ronaldo (as many others on a United forum) because of mostly bias (our Ronaldo vs the player who denied us in 2 CL finals).

Plus, I much preferred the United Ronaldo, the winger who would bomb on with pace and beat any defender to score a screamer. He was much more entertaining than the well-oiled goal scoring machine he has become later.

Years ago I was still in the camp that Messi won't be the player that he is without Xavi and Iniesta, but look at him now without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.