• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
What i've never understood is why Ronaldo today couldnt change the result with his mental super powers. It's almost like his team mates and manager influenced the game.
A great question sir. I’ve been told by people on this website that Ronaldo has ‘the best mentality of anyone who’s ever played any sport’. And that he ‘wouldn’t allow’ defeats like Barca’s in the last few years to happen. Yet he’s come to Manchester United and they’ve now lost 4 of their last 5 league games and been spanked 5-0 at home by Liverpool and 4-1 by Watford. Not to mention being slapped around by City.

Basically, they’re 10 times worse than last season with this fabled mental giant added to their already billion dollar squad. Strange……

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
A great question sir. I’ve been told by people on this website that Ronaldo has ‘the best mentality of anyone who’s ever played any sport’. And that he ‘wouldn’t allow’ defeats like Barca’s in the last few years to happen. Yet he’s come to Manchester United and they’ve now lost 4 of their last 5 league games and been spanked 5-0 at home by Liverpool and 4-1 by Watford. Not to mention being slapped around by City.

Basically, they’re 10 times worse than last season with this fabled mental giant added to their already billion dollar squad. Strange……
Well he's old to be fair. People's mental powers decrease with age.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

It's even "funnier" when you think of the posts in this topic when Ronaldo arrived and some people were already saying that Ronaldo leading United to a PL or title would settle this debate.
So basically, if United wins, it's thanks to him and his winning mentality, but if they loose it has nothing to do with him.

The truth is, he's pretty much as responsible as the rest of the team (even if of course players like Maguire carry a bigger responsability) for various reasons.

Gehrman

It's even "funnier" when you think of the posts in this topic when Ronaldo arrived and some people were already saying that Ronaldo leading United to a PL or title would settle this debate.
So basically, if United wins, it's thanks to him and his winning mentality, but if they loose it has nothing to do with him.

The truth is, he's pretty much as responsible as the rest of the team (even if of course players like Maguire carry a bigger responsability) for various reasons.
He has had his moments to be fair. But however much he has to shoulder the blame, we are so far a worse team with him than without him, but I wouldn't feel it's fair to pin the blame on him tbh.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He has had his moments to be fair. But however much he has to shoulder the blame, we are so far a worse team with him than without him, but I wouldn't feel it's fair to pin the blame on him tbh.
Of course it wouldn't, but he is a dysfunctionnal cog in a dysfunctionnal team. Probably not the most dysfunctionnal but it's pretty obvious he didn't change anything by his mere presence.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

I'm not sure how serious people were when they said that during his arrival, but that's often how it is with great players, they receive the praise and hardly the criticism because they often deliver, even if it's at the detriment of the team. CR7's proven himself a winner, the rest of the squad not so much.

I don't know how responsible he is though, because he is not playing any differently than he always has as far as his responsibilities. Yes, he's a step slower, but other than that he's pretty much the CR7 we've seen over the past few seasons. Even in such a dysfunctional team, he has found ways to bail United out with his goals. It's not his fault United decided to get him and slot him in a team that was never a fit for him. His presence has probably made United worse, or at least less coherent, but that's on the management and the decision-makers who thought it was a good idea to bring him back.

KeanoMagicHat

What i've never understood is why Ronaldo today couldnt change the result with his mental super powers. It's almost like his team mates and manager influenced the game.
Yeah, the goalposts have changed here far too many times to count over the years, even all the people boasting about how current Ronaldo was so much better than Messi now about 2 weeks ago, yet today Messi has a great match and Ronaldo has a terrible match. The problem in living in the present of one or two games when there are 2-3,000 games of evidence over a career to choose from.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yeah, the goalposts have changed here far too many times to count over the years, even all the people boasting about how current Ronaldo was so much better than Messi now about 2 weeks ago, yet today Messi has a great match and Ronaldo has a terrible match. The problem in living in the present of one or two games when there are 2-3,000 games of evidence over a career to choose from.
I've mentionned that several times. People show up here after Ronaldo scoring goals against Atalanta for a CL group stage and it's "the debate is over, he's the GOAT" when this whole debate was built on hundreds of games at the highest level. Unless Messi wins CL with PSG scoring 10 goals or something (which is unlikely but seems less unlikely than Ronaldo winning anything this season), this debate will never be over. Chances are, there's never going to be a tie breaker.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I've mentionned that several times. People show up here after Ronaldo scoring goals against Atalanta for a CL group stage and it's "the debate is over, he's the GOAT" when this whole debate was built on hundreds of games at the highest level. Unless Messi wins CL with PSG scoring 10 goals or something (which is unlikely but seems less unlikely than Ronaldo winning anything this season), this debate will never be over. Chances are, there's never going to be a tie breaker.
Mate, that’s all this thread is :lol: Ronaldo scores, the monkeys are in to throw their faeces at the others, Messi scores and the same happens. It’s just pointless toxic tribal rubbish where no one will change their minds. So pointless.

bakalhau

Yeah I have to agree here. And this actually is probably the biggest thing Ronaldo has achieved, for me personally obviously, in 2012 there was no debate, and in BdOr's, as much as each one values them, I can remember everyone saying he was done for, and well, it's not like I disagreed Messi had been better to that point, as much as I always preferred Ronnie, but I felt a little bit bad for the dude and I felt he was extremely underrated at that point, in a rivalry standpoint.

He just kept pounding and pounding and his dedication, hard work payed off, at a point in his career when he wasn't even as good as he had been, or as complete, at least. And of course, it's a team game and everyone around him helped make things happen (like he also did a million times).

At this point Ronaldo has latched himself into Messi level in terms of discussion, and the end result is done for already, unless something extraordinary happens. Ronnie will never be discussed without Messi alongside, but neither will Messi without Ronaldo. And looking in hindsight, that's one hell of an achievement.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
What a titan of clutchness and mental strength! Siuuu

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Both camps?
Yeah, the Messi camp doesn't (or at least didn't use to) use every loss as evidence.
Take this thread for instance. 'Is this even a debate anymore?' - that was the Ronaldo camp for a long time, until the Messi supporters started doing it

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
I doubt that. We didn't lose any first team players from last season, yet the team was miles better last season

Gehrman

Debate is never going to be over really I think. You''ll have fansboys who will always side with one over the other, and then there are some people who will try to be objective. However they are so close in goals, trophies and individual awards that it's always going to be a debate. For me it doesn't really matter much what Ronaldo and Messi do from here on. They've both earned the spot among the greatest.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I come here every time after he bails us out just for this post.
And it was fun for a while when United were still in the honeymoon period of CR’s prolific return. But it rings a bit hollow now that United have lost their manager and we’ve all watched Ronaldo do nothing whilst United get humiliated again and again. Not to mention doing nowt whilst Portugal got humiliated by Serbia.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
And it was fun for a while when United were still in the honeymoon period of CR’s prolific return. But it rings a bit hollow now that United have lost their manager and we’ve all watched Ronaldo do nothing whilst United get humiliated again and again. Not to mention doing nowt whilst Portugal got humiliated by Serbia.
10 goals in 14 games for Man United this season.
13 goals in 14 games for Portugal in 2021.

That's 23 goals in 28 games, for a player who is doing nothing and getting humiliated for both his club and country, in your blue tinted eyes.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
They’re the best two players of a generation. Difficult to separate them and one trumps the other on another day.

They’ve both carried teams, however it’s more difficult as you get older to do that.

I’d argue that Ronaldo has the harder challenge now, as the Premier League is potentially the most competitive in the world. However, dragged Barca through so many games that he potentially fancied the wind down in Ligue 1. He stands more of a chance at winning thr UCL again at PSG, than Ronaldo does at United.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Bro you try so hard to down play him that it looks like your trying to convince yourself that he’s not the best rather then us.

It’s ok bro just let it happen.Your figuring out what we all have known for years. Yes he is the best and yes he is the greatest.

*** Ahh yes United getting humiliated is his fault whilst forgetting they would literally be last place in the CL if not for him.

Cry more.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
:lol: "do nothing"... He's our top scorer this season,l having joined a few weeks later than others, scoring vital goals in the process.

This thread really is a laugh at times.
He’s scored one goal in his last 7 league games, a period in which United have lost 5-0 against Liverpool (your biggest rivals) at home, 2-0 against City (your second biggest rivals) at home, 4-2 against Leicester and 4-1 against Watford. And because of how his game these days is so streamlined towards goals, when he doesn’t score he literally does nothing.

Moreover, he’s yet to actually score against a top team, in any competition (Atalanta with half their side missing is probably his biggest scalp thus far).

Funnily enough, @Samid didn’t drop his ‘is it still a debate’ tag after any of these batterings. That’s all I’m saying……

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Bro you try so hard to down play him that it looks like your trying to convince yourself that he’s not the best rather then us.

It’s ok bro just let it happen.Your figuring out what we all have known for years. Yes he is the best and yes he is the greatest.

*** Ahh yes United getting humiliated is his fault whilst forgetting they would literally be last place in the CL if not for him.

Cry more.
No, I know he’s not the best because I understand football. It’s you that will have your eyes opened in time. One of the greatest goalscorers ever, nowhere near the greatest player ever. No shame in that.

Gehrman

Ronnie's been on fire in the CL so far. It's an easy group though but its still impressive.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Pathological egocentricity and an inability to see another’s point of view are common characteristics.

Time to look in the mirror la’
I like the use of ‘La’ to indicate that you are just a down home salt of the earth Northerner, despite your supposedly complex grasp of amateur psychology. Bravo :D

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He’s scored one goal in his last 7 league games, a period in which United have lost 5-0 against Liverpool (your biggest rivals) at home, 2-0 against City (your second biggest rivals) at home, 4-2 against Leicester and 4-1 against Watford.
You don't usually score many goals when your team is getting blown apart every game, yes.

Indeed, we can look at Messi's record from last season and see that in Barcelona's 7 league defeats, he scored 2 goals and had zero assists.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You don't usually score many goals when your team is getting blown apart every game, yes.

Indeed, we can look at Messi's record from last season and see that in Barcelona's 7 league defeats, he scored 2 goals and had zero assists.
Yes, because goals and assists are literally the only things you can do that are of any worth in a football match. This is the whole problem with modern Twitter thinking.

cyberman

Yet his fans bend over backwards to claim nothing is Messis fault when his sides suffer their yearly CL humiliation

Status
Not open for further replies.