Meulensteen interview on Poch, Ole, Mourinho, Moyes, transfers and more

Anustart89

Now that’s a come and get me plea, not saying “Manchester is a big club” like some newspapers would have you believe.

flappyjay

He could make a good dof. Looks like he has some good ideas on the squad

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Agree with everything except Pochettino. Based on that principle, only ex players of the club are possible managerial candidates.
We're a unique club that needs to have people at the helm who understand our culture. Of course an external manager could come in, but they would need to surround themselves by staff who know United inside out.

I don't think we're like other clubs that can see a manager bring in his own staff and expect to succeed that way.

Club is the biggest factor, and managers have to accept and adapt to that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That interview encapsulates my feelings on the whole management situation. Well said, Rene.

I could be mistaken, but it looks like he is asking for a job as well.

mav_9me

I disagree strongly on how important it is that Poch does not know "United way". He may not know United in and out like Ole. But does it matter? He plays the right way for us.

I am also torn on Matic. On the one hand I appreciate his composure and I think he plays the holding role well and does well when pressed. Otoh would like somebody who plays like him and Herrera combined, meaning a little bit more mobility. Might be too much to ask though.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yep. Both slow in a sprint but they knew where they were going to pass the ball before they even received it. With Matic, you can see the cogs moving in his head before he releases the ball 5 minutes later. Good defensively though. Pity he wasn’t the other night for their first goal.
Matic isn't really 'that' good defensively either. He's decent, but he's regularly caught out of position or being guilty of not following runners.

Carrick was quite a bit better defensively, as well as obviously providing far more on the ball.

Loony BoB

While this is an awesome interview, and he says 90 percent stuff I agree with, I'm not sure how I feel about him criticising some of our players (deserved or not) publically. Is it not in United's blood, the United way, the Ferguson way, to bite your tongue when discussing players if you can't say anything good? I'd say if he wants the job, apply privately and don't make players demotivated at the sight of you until they've already left. It's not for Rene to decide who stays and goes. Can you imagine being one of those players next season if he turns up? Very Mourinho move.

LR7

Good interview from Meulensteen. I’m definitely in the pro Ole camp. His return has been a breath of fresh air. However it seems inevitable that at some point in the future we will need to make an external appointment. Not every managerial candidate can be as immersed in the culture and traditions of United as Ole is, but hopefully the structural changes being suggested, including the appointment of a DOF will mean that wholesale changes to the staff never happen again on the scale it did under moyes meaning that there will be more stability and continuity when managers change in the future. A bit surprised about the Shaw comment intitally but the more I think about it the less I disagree. He isn’t saying he’s not a good player just that he’s “unstable” which I interpreted as inconsistent. I agree with his assessment of Valencia, Young and Matic.

ErranMorad

Very rare that you read an interview or comments from someone and nod in unison with almost everything. Especially agree with him on Matic and Shaw; who are both workable at the moment but need upgrades if we have to challenge for major honors.

Good interview. Would love to see Rene back too in the mix if Ole gets the job next season.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I disagree on a couple of things but in general he's not far away. Could do worse appointments as a DOF

crossy1686

career ending
Everything most of the Ole-in crowd have been saying to be fair. Very good interview and a come get me plea from a very talented coach. Our board know exactly what to do next.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Spot on everything except Matic. Wasn't Carrick and Scholes slow?

Agree with caf's general sentiment that Shaw needs to get better or we should look for an upgrade.
Matic is not only slow physically, he also dallies a lot on the ball, and doesn't have the clever passing Carrick had.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I disagree strongly on how important it is that Poch does not know "United way". He may not know United in and out like Ole. But does it matter? He plays the right way for us.

I am also torn on Matic. On the one hand I appreciate his composure and I think he plays the holding role well and does well when pressed. Otoh would like somebody who plays like him and Herrera combined, meaning a little bit more mobility. Might be too much to ask though.
I think the big problem we've had is that the past managers have come in and not fully embraced the club. Another reason I'm wary of getting another outsider. The pressure of the job means people with no affiliation with United, start scrambling when the going gets tough and try to protect themselves, even if it's at the expense of the club. You shouldn't underestimate the pressure at United, and pressure and scrutiny is something Poch hasn't dealt with on the level that he would encounter at United.

Also when you're under extreme pressure you make uncharacteristic mistakes. Remember, he wouldn't be at Spurs anymore without expectations, who knows how he would react.

I wouldn't mind having a reset with people around who can instill those club values into the players, even if it means a period of not great success.

And Rene would be welcome by me. Carrick and McKenna certainly need someone savvy to help them with training imho.

RedM11

I have always felt the biggest mistake after Sir Alex left was removing close to everyone from his coaching staff.

I think its good that someone from that staff is finally saying what all of us have felt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapardin

Agree with him on everything including his opinion on Shaw, but the "Poch knows nothing about United" is bollocks. If a manager needed to have links to the club to get the job, then most managers would be unemployed.

A competent manager would do the bare minimum - play entertaining football while meeting targets. That's all there is to United, or to any top club in general. It's just that we didn't hire the right managers so far.

deafepl

Not saying Shaw is brilliant or bad but I think Martial and Shaw wouldn't work together, Martial would want balls to feet and take on the fullback rather making run in behind all time, he doesn't give enough space to Shaw to overlap. I am pretty sure if we get a top attacking fullback, he'll end up like Shaw, This is Shaw we're talking, one of best attacking young fullback in the world under Poch when we signed and was much better than Danny Rose.

How about let Shaw playing at LCB/LM when we're attacking as in 3-4-3 (4-3-3 on paper), get rid of Matic who is slow, get a player like Verrati who can focus on dictating the play but for a free role in the right flank. There are plenty of spaces on the right flank for a right fullback to overlap and attack it, RB is more important than LB.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Agree with everything except Pochettino. Based on that principle, only ex players of the club are possible managerial candidates.
Not sure he meant it that way. More that now Ole’s in, Utd have the manager who’s been brought up in the Utd tradition, been involved in the grass roots of the club,and understands the club in a way that Poch doesn’t. His initial success is as much to do with the psychology of managing Utd as the football side.

In a way he’s implying that Ole could be to Utd what Pep became for Barca.

We still need to find a Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets otherwise we’re fine! ;)

deef

He shouldn’t have commented on current players if he wants to come back. Can’t really see him getting a job offer after that.

But I agree with most of what he said.

Regarding Poch, I think he knows better how big the difference between the spurs and united job is. Poch wouldn’t be a guaranteed success as most in here seem to think.

Last edited by a moderator:

sam147

Everything he said was 100% spot on. I can only hope Ole thinks the same way especially in regards to signings. You can tell Meulensteen knows the types of signings Sir Alex would go for as well. Wan Bissaka, Chilwell and De ligt + a RW would be a solid summer window. Im glad he mentioned Matic as well because we should be looking longer term for that DM position now. Matic cannot play 90 minutes all the time. Its amazing how almost all our fans and even Meulensteen can understand what the team needs whereas Woodward will be thinking we dont need a LB and he doesn't even know who De ligt is. More worried about our latest sponsors. This shows why we need someone with footballing expertise running the footballing side. Let the accountant deal with sponsors to keep the leeches happy.

CA_vampire

I agree with everything he said. I like Shaw. I like Matic. But they are not as good as Evra and Keane, and if we want to be the best team in the country (and the world) we need the top players. If we just want to compete for top-4, then Matic and Shaw are fine.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So can this chain ever be broken? Are we such a ‘special club’ that nobody, no matter how qualified, can come in from the outside and make it work, because you need to ‘get United’?

I don’t even ask this with cynicism. It’s genuine as there seems to be a link to Sir Alex that needs to remain in some way. It’s then passed down via inheritance until someone else from the lineage takes control. Part of me really wants us to be successful without any connection from the Fergie era. I think it’s important for the long-term future of the team if that self-sufficiency can be established.