Mexico and its drug cartels

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Mexico is a failed state and I honestly don't know how they can solve the cartel situation other than economic development so that young men enter into business rather than crime. But this organic process is likely to take decades.

MEXICO CITY (AP) — The notoriously violent Jalisco cartel has responded to Mexico’s “hugs, not bullets” policy with a policy of its own: The cartel kidnapped several members of an elite police force in the state of Guanajuato, tortured them to obtain names and addresses of fellow officers and is now hunting down and killing police at their homes, on their days off, in front of their families.

It is a type of direct attack on officers seldom seen outside of the most gang-plagued nations of Central America and poses the most direct challenge yet to President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s policy of avoiding violence and rejecting any war on the cartels.

But the cartel has already declared war on the government, aiming to eradicate an elite state force known as the Tactical Group which the gang accuses of treating its members unfairly.
https://apnews.com/article/caribbean-mexico-police-f6ea7798ca3cc171ac13b3a5a6a6c266

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
legalize drugs. Problem solved

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
legalize drugs. Problem solved
Yep. Legalization plus an amnesty.

If legalization is not on the table, then just let the gangbangers to handle their business in peace, instead of creating scenarios where police officers and civilians will die.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Yep. Legalization plus an amnesty.

If legalization is not on the table, then just let the gangbangers to handle their business in peace, instead of creating scenarios where police officers and civilians will die.
It is just stupid. People will find drugs yes or yes. I don't use coke and I don't like when some of my friends use it because they behave nasty, but they will keep getting is legally or illegaly

Legalize it

- Drug cartels out
- Clean product
- Less police expenditure
- Less murders
- Less crime
- Less inmates in prisons
- Govern profits due taxes
- less stigma

And others

Basically noting that had not been said before. is a no brainer

owlo

By far the most dangerous group in Mexico, and seemingly willing to follow the Hezbollah playbook to take control of large swathes of land, right down to the PR. They are paramilitary and a law enforcement response is not appropriate. They will simply end up effectively in control of half the country. Needs a military response.

ps. Legalising drugs wouldn’t fix much, if anything.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
By far the most dangerous group in Mexico, and seemingly willing to follow the Hezbollah playbook to take control of large swathes of land, right down to the PR. They are paramilitary and a law enforcement response is not appropriate. They will simply end up effectively in control of half the country. Needs a military response.

ps. Legalising drugs wouldn’t fix much, if anything.
Legalize drugs in usa and europe. Import coca leaf if can't be grown locally and manufacture the coke. Where the cartels will sell if they don't have customers?

Cartels and hezbollah nothing in common. For starters, hezbollah is of politico religious essence while cartels have nothing to do with that and is a for profit organization exclusively. Doesn't mean that hezbollah also is for profit but their original existance and a big part of it remains politico religious

Military response. How well it worked so far?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It is just stupid. People will find drugs yes or yes. I don't use coke and I don't like when some of my friends use it because they behave nasty, but they will keep getting is legally or illegaly

Legalize it

- Drug cartels out
- Clean product
- Less police expenditure
- Less murders
- Less crime
- Less inmates in prisons
- Govern profits due taxes
- less stigma

And others

Basically noting that had not been said before. is a no brainer
Cartels are more entrenched into Mexican society than just drugs. Move away drugs and they'll probably still fight for control of other industries.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Cartels are more entrenched into Mexican society than just drugs. Move away drugs and they'll probably still fight for control of other industries.
100% this - criminal gangs will just move to extortion and whatever else they can if drugs is no longer an option.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Except it wasnt as simple. It has become a very complex issue. It's not as easy as legalize it and everything will go away.

Unless those cokes are being farmed in corn fields of usa the cartel will always have things to fight for.

Then it comes back to greedy corporations jacking the price up lobbying the politicians. The cartels would keep on supplying cheap counterfeit drugs and fights more ferociously for the smaller pie.

John oliver has a session on legalizing coke. It aint making it cheaper, legal yes... cheap? feck no.

American pharmaceutical company cant even make panadol cheap. Let alone psychotropic drugs. These things is the real stuff. Better than cigarettes

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I read an article that said the reason Mexico is a mess is because the biggest drug market in the world is just north of it.

If you have seen the film sicario, some character says as long as 20% of the population of America want cocaine or heroin, mexico will always be the middle man, although i think they grow heroin in mexico now.

Killing or imprisoning the top ranking cartel members wont do anything either. Ismael Zambada basically said someone else just as capable would just replace him if he was caught.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
100% this - criminal gangs will just move to extortion and whatever else they can if drugs is no longer an option.
Sure. But they certainly won’t be able to build up a brand new similarly profitable industry from scratch. So they’d have to downsize massively and could take them decades to recover (realistically they’ll never reach the same size again)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Sure. But they certainly won’t be able to build up a brand new similarly profitable industry from scratch. So they’d have to downsize massively and could take them decades to recover (realistically they’ll never reach the same size again)
Agreed. They would not have near as much money if they concentrated on avocados, which is part of their industry. Not kidding.

The cartels in Mexico are so wealthy and so powerful they are basically terrorist organizations. Narco-terrorists.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I agree with that and I also agree that the best way to deal with then situation would be to legalise the drug trade however these guys are thugs and organised criminals - they will still be thugs and criminals if the drug trade changed.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It is possible to stem the violence in Mexico. It just carries a cost (financial, human, societal) that the Mexican government and citizenry is unwilling to incur.

Plus, there is still a financial incentive for selling drugs on the black market: they are not subject to exorbitant taxes levied by the state.

I read an article that said the reason Mexico is a mess is because the biggest drug market in the world is just north of it.

If you have seen the film sicario, some character says as long as 20% of the population of America want cocaine or heroin, mexico will always be the middle man, although i think they grow heroin in mexico now.

Killing or imprisoning the top ranking cartel members wont do anything either. Ismael Zambada basically said someone else just as capable would just replace him if he was caught.
Emily Blunt in Sicario has to be the most annoying character ever cast.

But yes you are absolutely correct. There is a huge demand for drugs north of the border. As long as the US continues to criminalize drugs, transnational crime syndicates will continue to use violence and other means to get drugs into the country.

Zlatattack

America could really help if it took the jobs its sent to China and sent them to Mexico instead. People who have jobs wouldn't have to join the cartels.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
America could really help if it took the jobs its sent to China and sent them to Mexico instead. People who have jobs wouldn't have to join the cartels.
I dont think it would matter. There is a huge demand for narcotics in America. That is what is driving it in Mexico. If America and Canada was just water, you would not have near the levels of cartels in Mexico. As i read, Mexico is essentially the middleman between South American drugs and America, although they grow their own heroin in Mexico now. But i dont think it is as potent as Asia heroin.

adexkola

Supports
I don't know what it's like in the US but the taxes aren't exorbitant here.
So I know that in California, combined taxes on marijuana can be as high as 33%. That's just at the state level, if the Feds come in they'll probably slap an extra 20% on it.

Going to LA in 2 weeks, I'll provide more detailed analysis then :D

adexkola

Supports
Senator Steve Daines of Montana may be onto something here.

There is a flood of Mexican meth, Mexican heroin, Mexican fentanyl. Twenty years ago in Montana, meth was homemade. It was homegrown. And you had purity levels less than 30 percent. Today the meth that is getting into Montana is Mexican cartel.
Make Drugs in America Again (MDAA)
Make American Drugs Great Again (MADGA)

Suggestions are welcome

Bosws87

So I know that in California, combined taxes on marijuana can be as high as 33%. That's just at the state level, if the Feds come in they'll probably slap an extra 20% on it.

Going to LA in 2 weeks, I'll provide more detailed analysis then :D
I don't buy the taxes thing, as a smoker myself in the UK if it was legalised and they shoved a 30% tax on top of the standard price, the ease of purchase, selection available would instantly make the tax irrelevant.

Even if i don't struggle at all to get it when i want now.

As for Mexico they have too much power the cartel there's no quick solution with the amount of money these people are making they could use their influence in anything they wanted.

adexkola

Supports
I don't buy the taxes thing, as a smoker myself in the UK if it was legalised and they shoved a 30% tax on top of the standard price, the ease of purchase, selection available would instantly make the tax irrelevant.

As for Mexico they have too much power the cartel there's no quick solution with the amount of money these people are making they could use their influence in anything they wanted.
Depends on where you are and your current ease of access. For someone like me who's lazy and smokes once in a while, yeah I'd probably just go to the local dispensary and get some bud there. But if you're going through an eighth every day, then a 35% price differential will be substantial over a month period, and it may be worth seeking out a source who's supplying this stuff without the taxes.

I guess I'm saying I'm not sure legalization is a silver bullet to neutralizing the cartels. Still legalize, but the cartels will need to be eliminated by a punitive and deliberate response with every means the Mexican government has at it's disposal.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Plus, there is still a financial incentive for selling drugs on the black market: they are not subject to exorbitant taxes levied by the state.
It would be pointless if it was made fully legal then they allowed it to be undercut. I don't doubt that governments are so incapable that this might happen though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Lots of people still buy their weed on the black market here, mind. Seems odd to me because at least buying the government weed you can have some assurance of quality and should at least know what you're getting.

I'm sure some smokers are paranoid about the government keeping track of them, though. Comes with the territory. When we had illegal shops there were rumours that the cops would share the customer data with the US border patrol which was causing some people problems when visiting the US.

adexkola

Supports
It would be pointless if it was made fully legal then they allowed it to be undercut. I don't doubt that governments are so incapable that this might happen though.
Legalization would come with the creation of a separate arm of the tax authority to monitor legal sales and product quality, and go after tax dodgers. You'd have some who would slip through the cracks of course.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

I understand the sentiment but that’s too simplistic a view of not only market economics, but also the vibrant illicit sub-culture that already exists around marijuana. I’ve been deeply involved in the industry for 3 years now and I can tell you it is not as simple as just making it legal and the illicit market goes away. I’ve written a thousand page thesis on cannabis business economics both on a micro and macro scale and can tell you it’s a very socio-economically complex subject.

adexkola

Supports
I understand the sentiment but that’s too simplistic a view of not only market economics, but also the vibrant illicit sub-culture that already exists around marijuana. I’ve been deeply involved in the industry for 3 years now and I can tell you it is not as simple as just making it legal and the illicit market goes away. I’ve written a thousand page thesis on cannabis business economics both on a micro and macro scale and can tell you it’s a very socio-economically complex subject.
You can't say that without placing the link here so it can be appropriately, um, peer-reviewed

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's a pity that everyone has jumped on the subject of drugs legalization now. As some say, these cartels don't become criminals just because there are drugs to sell. If you remove that market, it will help users (among other things: buying drugs is less dangerous as you're not dealing with criminals anymore and quality is guaranteed; and you can see a doctor about addiction and mental health issues without fear of police intervention), and it might downsize cartel operations; but it won't turn all or most of the cartel members into good citizens all of a sudden.

To me, the more interesting question is why these cartels came to be. Surely there are aspects in Mexican society that contribute to this, such as unemployment, the lack of the safety net of a well-functioning welfare system, the poverty and insecurity that follow from those, or corruption. I'd say that, apart from law enforcement, the focus should be on addressing those. After all, not every country where drugs are illegal has a crime problem quite like Mexico's.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's a pity that everyone has jumped on the subject of drugs legalization now. As some say, these cartels don't become criminals just because there are drugs to sell. If you remove that market, it will help users (among other things: buying drugs is less dangerous as you're not dealing with criminals anymore and quality is guaranteed; and you can see a doctor about addiction and mental health issues without fear of police intervention), and it might downsize cartel operations; but it won't turn all of most of the cartel members into good citizens all of a sudden.

To me, the more interesting question is why these cartels came to be. Surely there are aspects in Mexican society that contribute to this, such as unemployment, the lack of the safety net of a well-functioning welfare system, the poverty and insecurity that follow from those, or corruption. I'd say that, apart from law enforcement, the focus should be on addressing those. After all, not every country where drugs are illegal has a crime problem quite like Mexico's.
I'm no expert but Mexico's cartel experience appears somewhat similar to Colombia's, although much more violent. All of the elements you've listed above combine to create the impacts.

The cartels control industries that are awash with money. Money usually creates influence, but when the money is derived from illegal activity, that influence is harder to exert. This is where corruption comes into play but eventually corruption gets exposed and politicians have to appear decisive. This is a bad combination as the cartels will fight brutally to retain their revenue stream. Things escalate and then you have paramilitary cartels taking on paramilitary law enforcement or even regular army. It's pretty much a vicious cycle and Mexico's experience is probably so off the charts because of its closeness to the primary market for the drugs.

Without the drugs market, cartels will become involved in smuggling other goods and/or people as that's where their talent is and it's what they did before drugs became wildly popular.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Depends on where you are and your current ease of access. For someone like me who's lazy and smokes once in a while, yeah I'd probably just go to the local dispensary and get some bud there. But if you're going through an eighth every day, then a 35% price differential will be substantial over a month period, and it may be worth seeking out a source who's supplying this stuff without the taxes
I stopped smoking regularly a while back for various reasons, but there were periods when I smoked an obscene amount (usually to help stay away from other stuff). There would be no way that I’d have been able to afford that added extra amount. Some of the pros mentioned would be fairly irrelevant also (in my personal case anyway) such as knowing the quality, strains etc as that was usually provided, I could even make requests about strains or ask for specific consumables and shit.

Still totally for legalisation, and if possible I would have wanted to have paid the tax, but back then there were points where I had to really scrape together the money, and it just wouldn’t have been feasible for me.

I’d also find this really interesting to read if it’s something you’d be allowed to share and felt comfortable doing so.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm no expert but Mexico's cartel experience appears somewhat similar to Colombia's, although much more violent. All of the elements you've listed above combine to create the impacts.

The cartels control industries that are awash with money. Money usually creates influence, but when the money is derived from illegal activity, that influence is harder to exert. This is where corruption comes into play but eventually corruption gets exposed and politicians have to appear decisive. This is a bad combination as the cartels will fight brutally to retain their revenue stream. Things escalate and then you have paramilitary cartels taking on paramilitary law enforcement or even regular army. It's pretty much a vicious cycle and Mexico's experience is probably so off the charts because of its closeness to the primary market for the drugs.

Without the drugs market, cartels will become involved in smuggling other goods and/or people as that's where their talent is and it's what they did before drugs became wildly popular.
Yeah, the issue for Mexico is that this way out of hand.

In a way, I'm thinking it's not unlike the many terrorist group in the southern/southwestern Sahara (which are also often involved in a lot of crime). Their success in part stems from the utterly broken social systems of the areas in which they operate. Because of that, they can insert themselves easily into power structures, recruit lots of disillusioned people, and become dominant in terms of firepower. To ever really get rid of them, you will also have to repair the social fabric of the areas affected, otherwise every group that's squashed will just lead to a new group taking its place. (Or an existing group expanding into the vacuum and becoming even more powerful.) But given how far they've developed, you now basically first need a strong, military operation to break their stranglehold on the relevant areas, which they often control in many ways, and which would prevent reform from taking place.

Same in Mexico, it seems to me - although Mexico might be more urbanized and the areas might have higher population numbers, making this all a lot harder.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
P
Yeah, the issue for Mexico is that this way out of hand.

In a way, I'm thinking it's not unlike the many terrorist group in the southern/southwestern Sahara (which are also often involved in a lot of crime). Their success in part stems from the utterly broken social systems of the areas in which they operate. Because of that, they can insert themselves easily into power structures, recruit lots of disillusioned people, and become dominant in terms of firepower. To ever really get rid of them, you will also have to repair the social fabric of the areas affected, otherwise every group that's squashed will just lead to a new group taking its place. (Or an existing group expanding into the vacuum and becoming even more powerful.) But given how far they've developed, you now basically first need a strong, military operation to break their stranglehold on the relevant areas, which they often control in many ways, and which would prevent reform from taking place.

Same in Mexico, it seems to me - although Mexico might be more urbanized and the areas might have higher population numbers, making this all a lot harder.
Except it's not only Mexico.

Thousands if not hundreds of thousands american or maybe millions used drugs on daily basis. Those drugs arent sold on retail by mexicans but actual US citizens.

My point is that the US with all her might can't eradicate thousands of local crack dealer even with her alredy strong local police and harsh sentences on drugs.

Every cop in the cities would likely knew where the local dealer yet do nothing.

It's just the power of demand i think

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
P

Except it's not only Mexico.

Thousands if not hundreds of thousands american or maybe millions used drugs on daily basis. Those drugs arent sold on retail by mexicans but actual US citizens.

My point is that the US with all her might can't eradicate thousands of local crack dealer even with her alredy strong local police and harsh sentences on drugs.

Every cop in the cities would likely knew where the local dealer yet do nothing.

It's just the power of demand i think
Sure, but that's a different dynamic. I think the underlying issue in many cases is still that many users are in poor social conditions that a better welfare system would improve - especially in the US, which has a relatively poor welfare system. (Compare to the country's wealth.) It is likely the same for many low-level drug dealers. It is in any case well-known that the War on Drugs is a supremely ineffective, and indeed often counterproductive, tool to combat drug use and drug criminality, or to get neighbourhoods out of their negative situations and downward spirals. But the US doesn't have violent crime cartels quite like Mexico has, so the situation and its possible solutions are ultimately quite different.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sure, but that's a different dynamic. I think the underlying issue in many cases is still that many users are in poor social conditions that a better welfare system would improve - especially in the US, which has a relatively poor welfare system. (Compare to the country's wealth.) It is likely the same for many low-level drug dealers. It is in any case well-known that the War on Drugs is a supremely ineffective, and indeed often counterproductive, tool to combat drug use and drug criminality, or to get neighbourhoods out of their negative situations and downward spirals. But the US doesn't have violent crime cartels quite like Mexico has, so the situation and its possible solutions are ultimately quite different.
Drug abuse and drug dealing plays a big part if american problems. All those incarceration most likely either direct on indirectly drug related. To the very least the poverty and vicious cycle created by drug problems helped shaped the current cycle.

Different level of brutality, but still my point is that it's not something even the US can realistic fix, let alone mexico. No offence to mexicans.

I think it's not fair to blame mexico alone when the mainland itselfs is turning almost a blind eye on the widespread countrywide distribution