Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
To replace him has to be the top priority. It's incredible how much we struggle without him

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
How can he not see this does not work :houllier:?

Please just play Pereira :angel:!!
I don't watch many youth/reserve games but from what I've see Pereira is not a holding mid in any way, shape or form.
I'd agree, play Pereira, but instead of Fellaini.
How will that help with the lack of a holding mid problem?!

Bwuk

It doesn't, but having players who are comfortable in possession and comfortable with the ball at receiving the ball from the defence at their feet is better than what Fellaini offers.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
It doesn't, but having players who are comfortable in possession and comfortable with the ball at receiving the ball from the defence at their feet is better than what Fellaini offers.
It was only a few games ago that Fellaini was one of our best players in those attributes. He hasn't suddenly forgotten how. Teams recognise him as a threat now, which at the very least occupies them with keeping him quiet.
I doubt throwing Pereira in at the deep end will offer anything near what Fellaini can. That's the sort of wishful thinking fans showed before the likes of Zaha and Fabio disappointed us.
And by the way this isn't a criticism of Pereira. Just that it's too soon for him and too much pressure.

Bwuk

It was only a few games ago that Fellaini was one of our best players in those attributes. He hasn't suddenly forgotten how. Teams recognise him as a threat now, which at the very least occupies them with keeping him quiet.
I doubt throwing Pereira in at the deep end will offer anything near what Fellaini can. That's the sort of wishful thinking fans showed before the likes of Zaha and Fabio disappointed us.
And by the way this isn't a criticism of Pereira. Just that it's too soon for him and too much pressure.
Fellaini has never been comfortable receiving the ball at feet and playing it forward. That's just not his game.

Rob Bowman

I don't watch many youth/reserve games but from what I've see Pereira is not a holding mid in any way, shape or form.

I am not saying play Pereira for an injured Carrick at DCM. We have issues there whoever we play unless Carrick is healthy.

I am saying play Pereira ahead of Rooney as one of our two other CMs.

Not saying it is guaranteed to work, but I am tired of watching strikers play as CMs.

That make sense now?

darioterios

The (most unwanted) first full season highlight:(

His chest control can rival the Belgian's

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Found myself on this video. What a great player!

Bwuk

Don't think some people realise how important he is to our side when they put Schneiderlein ahead of him as a #6 in hypothetical line ups.

However, if Carrick has a less injury hit season (which is likely, as apart from last year he isn't exactly an injury prone player), I think it could be one of his best years yet. It's clear Van Gaal absolutely loves him as a #6, and him complimented with Schneiderlein and Herrera is as good as any midfield in the league.

darioterios

typical example of utility and indifference curve
Don't think some people realise how important he is to our side when they put Schneiderlein ahead of him as a #6 in hypothetical line ups.

However, if Carrick has a less injury hit season (which is likely, as apart from last year he isn't exactly an injury prone player), I think it could be one of his best years yet. It's clear Van Gaal absolutely loves him as a #6, and him complimented with Schneiderlein and Herrera is as good as any midfield in the league.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Coming towards the end of his career now so how would people rank him amongst the all time Premier League midfielders... Just in the tier below the likes of Keane, Scholes, Vieira etc ?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's gonna be fun and interesting if despite signing Schneiderlin and Schweini, Carrick will send them right from the start on the bench with his typical above intelligent performances.

Don't be surprised if injuries won't f*ck him up.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Coming towards the end of his career now so how would people rank him amongst the all time Premier League midfielders... Just in the tier below the likes of Keane, Scholes, Vieira etc ?
Didn't he won the same if not bigger amount of trophies than Vieira ?

He's not a huge type of character in the dressing room but I still think he's close there. He offered everything what was needed to conquer England and Europe.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He'll be appreciated a lot more when he's finished.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
IMO carrick wont be a big name in the all time greatest midfielders unless you ask a united fan. However this is exactly the reason why i deem him to be one of the best. He always played for the team first and foremost. Even the likes of pirlo and cleverely who focus on passing have streaks of arrogance in their play style that carrick never had.

Fantastic player and one of the best players to play for united ever. How the likes of scholes & carrick never regularly appeared for england is beyond me.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He'll never be rated on their level as he was never as obviously imposing or gung-ho.

I don't think some United fans will really appreciate him until he's gone. I think we were lucky to watch Ronaldo and him together, it was a great match at the time. We just don't and haven't had a player to release the ball to in that fashion since.

manutddjw

Most United fans have an appreciation for Carrick and know what he brings to the table. I also noticed alot of pundits and commentators have finally caught on to how important he is for us and he's been getting his due the last few years. I don't think he'll be raved about and put in teams of the decade because he wasn't a prolific midfielder like Lampard or a real character like a Keane or Vieira. In a way he's alot like how Xabi Alonso in that regard where he's a top player but his impact isn't measurable by statistics.

Of course you'll have the "fans" who don't watch games, play Fifa and will be all over Twitter who'll be saying good riddance and beg us to sign Pogba or a midfielder with pace like Castro or Junuzovic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He'll never be rated as among the best because he wasn't as good as the best. Very good midfielder, just not one of the best.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
To think he'd have actually been a lot better besides a real central midfield partner in those years of midfield wilderness.

Brightonian

He'll never be rated as among the best because he wasn't as good as the best. Very good midfielder, just not one of the best.
Agreed. Underrated for a lot of his career, but second tier not first. To be fair, in my opinion that puts him alongside the likes of Gerrard and Lampard. Scholes is the only Englishman in the ranks of this generation's true midfield greats.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
It's gonna be fun and interesting if despite signing Schneiderlin and Schweini, Carrick will send them right from the start on the bench with his typical above intelligent performances.

Don't be surprised if injuries won't f*ck him up.
Schweini shits all over Carrick.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Schweini shits all over Carrick.
That is to be determined in United where everything is possible. Juan Sebastian Veron used to shit all over everybody in Europe but in English league ? Not so much but as for now Schweini is better and more of a complete footballer indeed.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
The reason carrick isn't up there with the likes of scholes and schweinsteiger is maybe down to his lack of ability but i put it dowm to his upbringing.

Looking at van gaals tactics alone; you wonder what he coukd have achieved in the world if he had a manager who developed players like van gaal did with schweinsteiger.
SAF is a great manager to improve your ability but maybe not a manager to completely maneuver a decent player to a position in a system where they become critical.

If van gaal was here from the start(not saying i want him to) its just as possible he would have started off as a CB/CDM hybrid we have seen only at the latter part of his career.

acnumber9

The reason carrick isn't up there with the likes of scholes and schweinsteiger is maybe down to his lack of ability but i put it dowm to his upbringing.

Looking at van gaals tactics alone; you wonder what he coukd have achieved in the world if he had a manager who developed players like van gaal did with schweinsteiger.
SAF is a great manager to improve your ability but maybe not a manager to completely maneuver a decent player to a position in a system where they become critical.

If van gaal was here from the start(not saying i want him to) its just as possible he would have started off as a CB/CDM hybrid we have seen only at the latter part of his career.
Carrick's best football came under Alex Ferguson so I doubt he'd have been any better.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
supposedly the biggest loser, as in the case of every midfield shake-up
He's 34, was always going to happen. Will still play plenty of games and rotate with bastian, but he's not first choice anymore. Great squad option to have though, considering he's a better player then any other midfielder bar fabregas and matic in the league (and those starting in front at United).

Status
Not open for further replies.