6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepolice123

What a player he has been for us. Will definitely miss him when he's gone. Reckon he still could play a few good seasons in the Serie A.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That does NOT prove your point. It just proves how sluggish/disinterested/avoiding risk of injury (or all of these) the rest of the team's performance was against Bournemouth last season in that match - a dead rubber the week before the cup final.
:rolleyes:
Who do you think you are? Coming in here, using context to support a point. We will have none of that thank you very much!

Vida_15

I think he's our best foil for Pogba to allow him to attack. I was at the derby at OT last month and was calling for Carrick to come on at half time.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It just proves how sluggish/disinterested/avoiding risk of injury (or all of these) the rest of the team's performance was
:rolleyes:
The word is uninterested (sorry, pet hate).

Rossa

So they didn't run fast? Yeah, seems legit.
No. Especially Valencia always holds back, sometimes to give Carrick a bit of glory. I don't think all players are measured, but it's telling that he can reach those speeds. Jagielka also has a high top speed, still wouldn't label him as quick, but has good recovery pace.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yes, no-one is saying he is express, it's just that once he has started his top speed is good. He can catch up well, and he showed that yesterday too.

3:24 here

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fellaini is certainly no Carrick. They are completely different players, indeed. Blind is more similar, and I do wonder how well he would fare in Carrick's role. His passing range is probably the closest we have to Carrick, but he does spend more time on the ball than Carrick does. Carrick has the same ability, though to a lesser extent, as Scholes to know where his teammates are and where to pass before he receives the ball.
Carrick was a great player. His positioning and his superb distribution of the ball is well documented, however people seem to forget that he's 6ft2 ie he's quite a tall player himself.

Blind is a poor man Carrick. He's quite an intelligent player like Carrick is and his passing is great (not like Carrick's but still great). Our issues with him was that he was too small, too slow and unlike Carrick he doesn't compensate to that with superb positioning.

However is it still an issue? Pogba and Herrera are quite fast so they can compensate to that + they are both 6ft or more. Id say lets try and play them together and if it fails then we bring in a quality CM.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No. Especially Valencia always holds back, sometimes to give Carrick a bit of glory. I don't think all players are measured, but it's telling that he can reach those speeds. Jagielka also has a high top speed, still wouldn't label him as quick, but has good recovery pace.
Yeah. Gary Pallister was our quickest player at one point. Top speed and acceleration are very different things.

askabob

Such a magnificent player, i just wish he was 25 instead of 35 because we will be hard pressed to find someone to replace him :(
If there was one current player I could pick to be 10 years younger, it'd be Carrick in a heartbeat.

m1y2

Yes, no-one is saying he is express, it's just that once he has started his top speed is good. He can catch up well, and he showed that yesterday too.

3:24 here
well it's good to have atop speed but It's more about mobility/acceleration which he completely lacks...

We could as well call some PS to come back from retirement, he's still twice the passer Carrick is, he could boss it from the back easily like he used to when he came from the retirement last time..

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Should be used in a midfield three against away teams that don't press so much and we want to play counter-attack.

Mojo_pin

I don't know if he has the legs but we need to bring him on for MF. Push Herrera forward and move Pogba into the '8.'

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Need Carrick back in this team. Carrick and Herrera in midfield is our best pairing at the moment.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Jose needs to get his head out of his arse when it comes to Carrick. It's clear as day that he brings balance and quality to our side. It's painful watching Fellaini continuing to fumble around for us.

Hed Zitin

We need him. Need a player that can read the game in front of the back four. Someone that can get his head up and make a simple pass. Have some control in CM for christs sake.

We've got legs around him, so that should not be an issue.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just felt so obvious before today that he was needed and yet doesn't come on. Mourinho keeps playing Ibra despite his age, I just wish he'd do the same with Carrick. There's nobody better in our squad at playing that holding role to keep us ticking and control games while being solid defensively.

criticalanalysis

I'm a big critic of Carrick but if Scneiderlin is not getting the game time, then Carrick should be given the chance to play with Herrera and Pogba.

Mike09

Already said this months ago or even after city and Watford game, Imo our midfields are just too clueless when they are on the ball. I see too many poor decision making from our current midfield. Disappointed from Pogba since he has the skills but no brain and played like a kid. Definitely need someone who can dictate a tempo and our best option is definitely Carrick. The only issue is that he doesn't have the same leg anymore.

arctictern

Guys, which season was it during which Carrick struggled a lot vs high pressing teams. It was the Moyes season wasn't it? I remember watching games and thinking Carrick can't deal with a high press but can't place during which season it was.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Guys, which season was it during which Carrick struggled a lot vs high pressing teams. It was the Moyes season wasn't it? I remember watching games and thinking Carrick can't deal with a high press but can't place during which season it was.
Every season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Carrick actually started the season as first choice. He seems to have lost Jose's confidence in the Community Shield, which saw him comprehensively outrun by Leicester and struggle to cope with their second half pace. I am guessing that is why Herrera came in for Bournemouth and why he's only featured against inferior opposition. We aren't in training everyday but who knows if Carrick still has the legs for the Premier League? I am not going to hang my hat on him coming back and saving our season. I will obviously be delighted if he does but I'm not convinced.

arctictern

Carrick actually started the season as first choice. He seems to have lost Jose's confidence in the Community Shield, which saw him comprehensively outrun by Leicester and struggle to cope with their second half pace. I am guessing that is why Herrera came in for Bournemouth and why he's only featured against inferior opposition. We aren't in training everyday but who knows if Carrick still has the legs for the Premier League? I am not going to hang my hat on him coming back and saving our season. I will obviously be delighted if he does but I'm not convinced.
I reckon he can still contribute if used judiciously. Against teams that are willing to sit back and defend (how I expect Burnley and Boro games to be), he might be key in unlocking the defence. But against high pressing teams I remember him being a liability.

My friends are all guaranteeing that him starting would have turned the Chelsea and Man City games around that everything would be rosy again if he played. And I sit there rolling my eyes but for the life of me I can't remember which season it was during which we lost lots of matches because he didn't have the legs to play well against the high press.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I reckon he can still contribute if used judiciously. Against teams that are willing to sit back and defend (how I expect Burnley and Boro games to be), he might be key in unlocking the defence. But against high pressing teams I remember him being a liability.

My friends are all guaranteeing that him starting would have turned the Chelsea and Man City games around that everything would be rosy again if he played. And I sit there rolling my eyes but for the life of me I can't remember which season it was during which we lost lots of matches because he didn't have the legs to play well against the high press.
To be fair with Herrera next to him and Pogba who both have plenty of energy and movement he could be afforded to be more static.

arctictern

To be fair with Herrera next to him and Pogba who both have plenty of energy and movement he could be afforded to be more static.
Yes, that is true but I've always found Carrick ponderous on the ball. Blind lost possession against Chelsea (and that almost led to a goal) because of the same and Carrick always does this.

I don't trust Pogba to put his shift in defensively with 100% commitment (and I'm happy to give him that leeway to let him be himself) and with Herrera alone to back him up, I'm unsure how effective he'll be. You need to have the quick turns to beat a high press and that is just not Carrick's game from what I've observed (the speed of thought is there but the agility to pull it off isn't). Against Chelsea he'd have had Kante, Matic and Pedro pressing him (2-3 players, as I expect it'll be vs City next game) and from past experience I just feel he'll buckle and that he isn't the answer to our midfield conundrum.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Yes, that is true but I've always found Carrick ponderous on the ball. Blind lost possession against Chelsea (and that almost led to a goal) because of the same and Carrick always does this.

I don't trust Pogba to put his shift in defensively with 100% commitment (and I'm happy to give him that leeway to let him be himself) and with Herrera alone to back him up, I'm unsure how effective he'll be. You need to have the quick turns to beat a high press and that is just not Carrick's game from what I've observed (the speed of thought is there but the agility to pull it off isn't). Against Chelsea he'd have had Kante, Matic and Pedro pressing him (2-3 players, as I expect it'll be vs City next game) and from past experience I just feel he'll buckle and that he isn't the answer to our midfield conundrum.
Blind was a LB, playing in a position where he will be expected to defend against people running at him, the deep lying playmaker wouldn't as in transition defending against a counter, I'd imagine Herrera would track back. Hence why Pogba defensively doesn't have as much onus because as you say he literally roams the place. Pedro pressed the LB, Matic & Kante while pressing him, he would have the ball, his distribution is class, it's his off ball game which he is good at positionally, it's only if someone is running at him. Too much is made of the press and needing to turn quick, it helps but if you can pass like him it isn't necessary, I realise he has done badly against the press before but no worse than Fellaini etc

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Thought he looked rusty tbh. The first half with Herrera was not good. Was amazed he kept pace with Aguero mind.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Replacing Carrick should be our priority and he should still be played in all of our big games this season. Makes a huge difference. Shields the defence and controls the game and lets everyone else roam forward and play.

wr8_utd

:'(
Him and Herrera need to start most games but sadly Jose won't see it that way. I have no idea how Fellaini constatly gets picked to do the job Carrick and do it much worse than him.

Manny

Grammar Police
As expected, gets us playing football and settles our defence.

Ludens the Red

He was okay but I felt more comfortable with him being there than Fellaini and I'm sure the players feel the same.

Devil may care

Didn't do as much on the ball tonight as his last outing but the safety net he offers with his positional discipline really let Pogba and Herrera get after it in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.