Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daengophile

Underappreciated as a player

Underappreciated as a coach

He took the headless chickens and did as much as any coach could do in the 3 games he had

We will never know what he could have achieved last year as a manager when the chickens had heads.

I hope he stays in management and uses his cool head to think his way to the top

Reactions: Cheimoon

Cantonagotmehere

Official. Classy guy, stepped up and left.

Guys like Keane were doubting his character saying he should be ashamed to be at the club after Ole, now you know why he stayed.

I love Keane and Scholes, but that was shite how they jumped to conclusions about things they knew nothing about. Carrick will always be known as a class act on and off the field.

Stig

So who is Rangnick bringing in ?

I initially read that United said that any interim would be expected to work with the current coaching staff.

Then I read that part of the Rangnick negotiations were that he would bring in his right hand man, which is what you would really have expected.

Does anybody know what the facts are as of now ?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A United manager steps down/is fired
Caf: Was a great player

:lol:

NewYorkRed

Sad to see him leave, but its the right decision for him, his family, and the club. A win-win-win if I’ve ever seen one.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Enough with people saying Keane and Scholes were out of order. Carrick's come out and agreed with them a bit.

Regalia

Classy. At least he has self-awareness unlike Ole. Good job as caretaker.

Now Phelan and McKenna need to do the right thing and follow him out the door.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Awesome player. Could be a great manager. Wish him the best.

It gets me nostalgic that most fergie era actors are leaving :(

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I think it’s a shame as he could have learnt from Rangnick. He’s done really well in his caretaker stint and deserves all the respect he gets. I hope he becomes a good manager for a good PL club one day. Of all our ex players he seems well placed for it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good decision. We need a fresh start from a coaching perspective and Carrick should prove himself elsewhere now as a coach or manager.

Interval

Level
Never worth £18m! Spurs saw us coming!
It’s ludicrous how much value we got out of that. He’s one of my favourites so I’m biased but he was literally the final piece. To get 10yrs and then some coaching all while not creating any issues is stuff that 18m can not really compensate.

number 16had found a true successor

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Pretty decent of him to leave before I started the sack watch thread.

dave1956

I think he realised that his coaching days at OT., had run it's course and has done the best thing for his future employment prospects. Not sacked but on what could be described as a high, 2 wins 1 draw.

Water Melon

meamth

Why am I so affected by this?

Good luck Carrick, hoping to see you again soon.

Redlyn

I think it’s a shame as he could have learnt from Rangnick. He’s done really well in his caretaker stint and deserves all the respect he gets. I hope he becomes a good manager for a good PL club one day. Of all our ex players he seems well placed for it.
Yeah I too would have liked him to learn from Rangnick. Ole probably wasn't the best mentor for him. But still a good decision all round for him to leave and doing it on a high note was the icing on the cake.

Sviken

I think he realised that his coaching days at OT., had run it's course and has done the best thing for his future employment prospects. Not sacked but on what could be described as a high, 2 wins 1 draw.
I agree with this. I don't think he left because he realized he was not good enough, I think he simply left when he realized Mates FC is over with and he wasn't exactly to be part of the plans, especially when a new permanent manager comes n. Good for him, but let's not pretend he wasn't as much of a problem as Ole was. Since he took over we've been practically identical to Ole's team (and that was to be expected) except the results. Anyway, it's a nice move for Carrick - go on and give it a go in the lower leagues. If he turns out good enough, maybe we can try him in the distant future, but I seriously doubt it.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Awesome player. Could be a great manager. Wish him the best.

It gets me nostalgic that most fergie era actors are leaving :(
This is why the club is in the state it is. Whilst Carrick was part of Ole’s coaching team that spectacularly failed, he actually done as good as anyone could’ve hoped in his 3 interim matches. Credit to him for that and even more credit for realising the club need to move on. United has a great history graced by many legends that’ll never be forgotten. That era is gone and it’s time to create a new path and new legends.

Yorke to Cole

He's stopped the rot and given us a bit of confidence back.

And it's not like he had Norwich and Newcastle to play, away to Villareal Away to Chelsea and home to Arsenal who have been a bogey side for us since Wenger left. Tough fixtures to have, especially with a team at absolute rock bottom. He's won the CL group and got us back in touching distance of the top 4.

He's done himself and Utd proud in these 3 games and he's made Roy Keane in particular look a dickhead.
Roy Keane has no trouble making look like that himself.

Fair credit to Micheal Carrick to overseeing the past 2 weeks, not to mention the past 2 months of doubt and bad results leading to loss of confidence within the team. He and Old did bring back a sense of progression with the squad, the types of personalities brought in and the rengagement with the youth set up.

It is now about trying to build up from there.

Reactions: Cheimoon

passtheball

Classy to wait to finish his stewardship of 3 games (in which he did all right - not great) before announcing this.

At the same time, if loyalty to Ole played a role in his decision as he claims, then all that can be said about this management team is that they are more interested in friendships than any real ambition for themselves as coaches or for the club.

So, good news overall. Hopefully McKenna and Phelan next.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
No surprise he has moved on. All credit for the work he has done and taking the reins for a couple of games, but always felt we need to bring in proper experienced coaches now to get us back to our best.

It will be interesting to see what he goes on to do now, whether he keeps coaching or looks for a management gig. Either way best of luck to him.

united for life

Official. Classy guy, stepped up and left.

Guys like Keane were doubting his character saying he should be ashamed to be at the club after Ole, now you know why he stayed.

keane must feel awkward now. I can hear Micah laughing…there were a couple of pundits on Bein sports who were questioning his credibility after Ole left and he stayed. They were saying that he was always “in ole’s ear” during games and thus should go with him.

classy carrick. Classy player, classy coach, classy manager and classy human being. He did what needs to be done for the team, got the results and stepped down. Good luck elsewhere. In 3 games, carrick showed that he might actually do this

bosskeano

Really gutted to see him walk away from OT....you could tell in that pitch side interview just how much it means to him being a Red and how these 15 years being part of this club has meant to him

foolsgold

Best for his long term career. If he wants to be a manager, it's time for him to go manage. I'd expect to see him pick up club in the championship.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not going to be touchy with "ABSOLUTE LEGEND"

He's not a legend, tidy player in his time, shit coach, now seems to be doing classy stuff by resigning, for that I respect his decision,and wish him the best of luck.

Do I wish he stays, hell no. Off he should go along with McKenna. Enough of this "learning under Rangnick stuff", you'll either contribute or you're a detriment.

Ottawa MLS Fan

Would be wonderful if he goes elsewhere and develops a coaching resume worthy of the United job in the future. I have nothing against ex-players in management, as long as the job is earned on merit. Ole would have got nowhere near the United job if he hadn’t been a club legend and that’s where it started to go wrong.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Not ego, self respect.
Self- what now? Carrick hasn't achieved jackshit as a coach to pretend that being Rangnick's coach is below him. He was a coach of a terribly coached team, assistant manager of a weak manager who got sacked. Under Rangnick maybe he would have learned a thing or two. Thinking you are better than you actually are and passing on an opportunity to improve is ego, not: self-respect.

I'm not going to be touchy with "ABSOLUTE LEGEND"

He's not a legend, tidy player in his time, shit coach, now seems to be doing classy stuff by resigning, for that I respect his decision,and wish him the best of luck.

Do I wish he stays, hell no. Off he should go along with McKenna. Enough of this "learning under Rangnick stuff", you'll either contribute or you're a detriment.
Every great coach learned under somebody at some point. It's only the shitty ones who imagined they knew something purely based on them having had been a good player in the past. Having experience as a player and being a coach/manager is not the same thing. Carrick didn't learn anything under Jose, and there was nothing to learn off Ole, so - why would it be bad for him to learn under Rangnick, a legend that many modern top managers look up to? What exactly is wrong with that?

Last edited:

Himannv

Did a fantastic job for the 3 games he had as an interim interim coach. A win in the CL to take us through to the next stage, a draw away against table toppers Chelsea, and topped it off with a win against Arsenal. Well done.

Last edited:

Pronewbie

Peep
FFS from reading some of the posts on this thread I think Goldbridge has too much influence on our fanbase. He may not mean to be overly critical but the regularity and length of his shows means that he has to fill lots of airtime with hate and vitriol.

Good luck Carrick! Hope you do well and I looked forward to seeing you in the Premier League soon.

VivaUnited21

I thank him for what he has done over the past 15 years player and coach. He seems a very humble and nice guy, I'm sad it turned out like this but it needed to be done for the future of the club. Surely now he can enjoy time with his family I hope and maybe later get back into management one day.

Thankyou Micheal, Forever Love ❤

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He should have been a junior member of a world class coaching setup, learning his trade and growing into his role.

Instead him, Ole and McKenna had far too major roles with such a lack of experience between them.

As it is, these roles needed to be decided on quality and not sentiment from the beginning and it’s too late to get demoted now.

All the best to him in his career, but he had to go after all that has transpired.

Status
Not open for further replies.