Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Wasn't Carrick on the verge of getting the boot earlier in the season - now's he Fergie 2.0. What a fickle world we live in. Rudyard Kipling might well have been right.
Not as far as I'm aware. I think it was more likely he was going to walk because the board sold his best player and didn't really back him in the summer.

Chipper

Adulterer.
He's doing really well, pleased for him.

Knew they'd won last night because the thread got bumped, knew they'd lost at the weekend because it didn't. It's the opposite of Mourinho or Lukaku threads which I don't blame anyone for. He's much more likeable.

Hammondo

He's doing really well, pleased for him.

Knew they'd won last night because the thread got bumped, knew they'd lost at the weekend because it didn't. It's like the opposite of Mourinho or Lukaku threads.
Carrick is difficult to dislike, also in his position he's expected to struggle, doing well is something of note.

Mourinho and Lukaku should be doing well, but don't.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Carrick is difficult to dislike, also in his position he's expected to struggle, doing well is something of note.

Mourinho and Lukaku should be doing well, but don't.
You're right about him being difficult to dislike, was actually adding something along those lines to my post as you typed!

I find it sort of amusing though how results can be predicted by if a thread get bumped or not. I think barring one poster, Moyes will get bumped when West Ham are in bad form too. Rooney will go both ways right now.

Anyway, I'm distracting from the Carrick talk. Hope he continues this rich vein of form. Shame about the start for him because the top 2 are well clear. Can't see them catching Leicester even at this early stage. That squad is fantastic for the Championship.

I don't know much about Ipswich but doubt they have the overall talent of Leicester. The gap is a big one already though. Still, Carrick has shown he can get Middlesbrough to put together a great sequence of results so you never know.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It makes you wonder how much input Carrick and McKenna got when in the backroom/coaching staff under Ole?
They're both showing their true credentials at the moment, although McKenna has yet, I think, to have a bad run of results at Ipswich, Carrick certainly has, but I'm not sure Middlesbrough have the money behind them to survive in the Prem if they went up.

Smithy89

If Howe-ball doesn't bop us off the park i hope we get Boro next round.

tomaldinho1

It makes you wonder how much input Carrick and McKenna got when in the backroom/coaching staff under Ole?
They're both showing their true credentials at the moment, although McKenna has yet, I think, to have a bad run of results at Ipswich, Carrick certainly has, but I'm not sure Middlesbrough have the money behind them to survive in the Prem if they went up.
They ran training but they were told what to work on by Ole. I think the issue is both were promising coaches but neither really had mentorship from a hands on coach (Carrick would have seen Rui Faria at work I guess and latter days Mou) but it was a bit unfair on them given they were essentially novices thrust into a job demanding CL qualifying football. I remember Ole gave that interview where he outlined what he wanted which was to outwork teams and press them and move to 433 which sounded great but then you looked at the backroom staff at the time and none of them had ever done it. Ironically that tactical change as well as poor recruitment is what cost Ole his job in the end and it looks to also be putting ETH close to the sack as well, difference is ETH has done it before and so the hope is he can force the change through.

Carrick/McKenna are doing what they should do, proving themselves at a lower level. Then you would think if they can do well in the Championship they either come up or get poached by a PL club. I'd personally love them to go abroad if possible as the PL is really tough to do well in unless you get a great seat.

SoCross

His first real tests are yet to come.

Loved Carrick the player. Hoping he does well for himself as a manager.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
They ran training but they were told what to work on by Ole. I think the issue is both were promising coaches but neither really had mentorship from a hands on coach (Carrick would have seen Rui Faria at work I guess and latter days Mou) but it was a bit unfair on them given they were essentially novices thrust into a job demanding CL qualifying football. I remember Ole gave that interview where he outlined what he wanted which was to outwork teams and press them and move to 433 which sounded great but then you looked at the backroom staff at the time and none of them had ever done it. Ironically that tactical change as well as poor recruitment is what cost Ole his job in the end and it looks to also be putting ETH close to the sack as well, difference is ETH has done it before and so the hope is he can force the change through.

Carrick/McKenna are doing what they should do, proving themselves at a lower level. Then you would think if they can do well in the Championship they either come up or get poached by a PL club. I'd personally love them to go abroad if possible as the PL is really tough to do well in unless you get a great seat.
Ok. Thanks for that.
I guess neither of them felt empowered enough to bring their own ideas to the table, although I would think they certainly would have had some.
Yes, they need to get a good grounding in a slightly less media focussed division, if either of them got promotion to the Prem, it would be an excellent opportunity, without the expectation that joining an established Premier League team would do.
Carrick comes across as very knowledgeable, and a decent guy, I hope he makes a success of his managerial career.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed he needs to do it at a higher level although he somewhat has experience being an assistant with us (and managing a handful of games!).

It’s always difficult to tell with managers, isn’t it - higher level experience or not. Wish him and McKenna well. Will be interesting to see who ends up the better manager/having the better managerial career.
Yeah. Carrick has more manager (and as coach) experience than the likes of Zidane, Pep, Xavi, and Arteta when they started managing big clubs.

Santana

I would take him as ten hag's replacement tomorrow!

Followed him closely since he took the Boro job and hes exceeded all expectations there. They were 21st when Carrick took over facing relegation yet he still managed to take them to the championship playoffs.
Had a terrible start to this season due in large part to issues in the transfer window but hes since turned that around and has Boro firming as promotion candidates once more. While having to integrate 12 new signings to his squad!

He has all the tools to be one of the best. Arteta and Ange were also considered unproven and huge risks yet look how thats worked out for their clubs.

In Rainbows

Why would anyone choose Carrick over McKenna? At least at this point in time.

philnguyen1994

Why would anyone choose Carrick over McKenna? At least at this point in time.
Pointless anyway. Man Utd wouldn't be offering any Championship manager a permanent job. Neither of them would leave their permanent job there for an interim gig here. Ole only did it because he was at Molde ...

More chance of Rooney getting sacked by Brum in time to be our interim unfortunately ...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They have a great chance to get to the semis of the cup. Playing port vale in the quarters.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Okay I will wait for the Bundesliga defense team to arrive.
Did anybody summon me? :devil:

Just wanted to add one point about this comparison: Championship clubs don't compete in Europe, Leverkusen does, which makes their schedule harder than Middlesbrough's.

Besides that I do actually agree that Carrick's league experience might be more valuable to United right now than Alonso's, simply due to the fact that Carrick is just in the middle of the league with a squad that's not near the top of it (similar to United in the PL right now) and more or less has to go against the ownership, while Alonso probably has been given the most balanced and one of the strongest squads in the BL. He did prove that he can work through tough situations last year however, but what he now is doing gives him the experience to takeover a dominant side like City, but less so a struggling club like United.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Did anybody summon me? :devil:

Just wanted to add one point about this comparison: Championship clubs don't compete in Europe, Leverkusen does, which makes their schedule harder than Middlesbrough's.

Besides that I do actually agree that Carrick's league experience might be more valuable to United right now than Alonso's, simply due to the fact that Carrick is just in the middle of the league with a squad that's not near the top of it (similar to United in the PL right now) and more or less has to go against the ownership, while Alonso probably has been given the most balanced and one of the strongest squads in the BL. He did prove that he can work through tough situations last year however, but what he now is doing gives him the experience to takeover a dominant side like City, but less so a struggling club like United.
I just want to clarify that my post was obviously tongue in cheek and completely take the point that Alonso is playing in Europe which poses different challenges, schedule ones as you've mentioned, but just the mere fact he's playing against teams from around Europe, with different styles and so on, it's an added challenge. The calendar part, I believe the Championship one is pretty brutal, so many games on top of potential cup runs. Anyway, it's fun seeing these guys that were wonderful as players now taking these steps to make it as managers.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
They ran the coaching as we finished 3rd and 2nd in the hardest league on the planet. The idea we weren’t well coached as we finished 3rd and 2nd with Maguire, AWB, Lindelof, Fred, Martial and Mctominay as key starters was always a load of bullshit. We were exceptional in attacking transitions.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I can see this being in line with the next route this club takes.

We've had:
- Cut from the same cloth in Moyes.
- Old classic Dutch master who had success at football institutions such as Ajax and Barca in van Gaal
- The second true threat to Sir Alex, and someone who was close to being regarded as one of the best ever in Mourinho.
- Former player, one of Fergie's boys, but never considered a student of the game.
- Supposed Dutch genius who was going to bring the traditional Ajax way to United.

Seems it's now time to go back to a former player, highly regarded as an up and comer in the coaching world. Also going down the line of someone who is more of a student of the game, the pass master of midfield, with his current team showing a style of play, despite all the setbacks caused by hierarchical decisions over the summer.

Of course there is no sure thing given his experience and it could go full Lampard or Guardiola.

Ten Hag is absolutely on the path to being sacked and after the last two defeats he's surely only a pathetic Anfield defeat away from getting the boot now.

Hammondo

I can see this being in line with the next route this club takes.

We've had:
- Cut from the same cloth in Moyes.
- Old classic Dutch master who had success at football institutions such as Ajax and Barca in van Gaal
- The second true threat to Sir Alex, and someone who was close to being regarded as one of the best ever in Mourinho.
- Former player, one of Fergie's boys, but never considered a student of the game.
- Supposed Dutch genius who was going to bring the traditional Ajax way to United.

Seems it's now time to go back to a former player, highly regarded as an up and comer in the coaching world. Also going down the line of someone who is more of a student of the game, the pass master of midfield, with his current team showing a style of play, despite all the setbacks caused by hierarchical decisions over the summer.

Of course there is no sure thing given his experience and it could go full Lampard or Guardiola.

Ten Hag is absolutely on the path to being sacked and after the last two defeats he's surely only a pathetic Anfield defeat away from getting the boot now.
Carrick wouldn't take the job, and I am glad he would not. One day maybe, but not now.

luke511

Carrick wouldn't take the job, and I am glad he would not. One day maybe, but not now.
He’d take the job tomorrow. He knows the club and league inside out, was a very talented and respected player, understands the standard required for a top level midfield, and he’d be fully on board with leaving the recruiting up to the new DOF and scouts. It’s a low risk high reward punt we should take.

Hammondo

He’d take the job tomorrow. He knows the club and league inside out, was a very talented and respected player, understands the standard required for a top level midfield, and he’d be fully on board with leaving the recruiting up to the new DOF and scouts. It’s a low risk high reward punt we should take.
It's the opposite, it's high risk with low reward.

United have failed for a lot of managers now, 0 success stories since SAF.

We have a bad squad with crap recruitment and managers have not gone onto good teams after us.

We are a graveyard at the moment, and we cannot attract the top managers for good reasons.

luke511

It's the opposite, it's high risk with low reward.

United have failed for a lot of managers now, 0 success stories since SAF.

We have a bad squad with crap recruitment and managers have not gone onto good teams after us.

We are a graveyard at the moment, and we cannot attract the top managers for good reasons.
Hence why Carrick is a great fit currently. Low expectations, potential high reward if he turns out more Guardiola than Lampard. If he’s more Lampard we get our man in the summer under the new DOF and CEO.

Hammondo

Hence why Carrick is a great fit currently. Low expectations, potential high reward if he turns out more Guardiola than Lampard. If he’s more Lampard we get our man in the summer under the new DOF and CEO.
But it's not good for him. He's in a club he's somewhat happy with and has turned things around.

Leaving that mid season to join a failing club that would probably damage his career. I don't think it's likely he would want to join.

siw2007

I’d love for Carrick to coach Utd one day. But for his own good, he should stay at Boro, develop as a coach and get them into the premier league and I think that’s what he will do. Lampard was another talented young coach who took the step up too soon and ultimately destroyed his career.

3KDré

I am intrigued why people prefer Carrick to McKenna? McKenna got promoted from League 1 and is now 2nd in the Championship having lost one game only.

Hammondo

How would his career be damaged?
Well if he comes to United and it goes badly, chances are he will struggle to get himself into a situation as good as Middlesbrough.

He's not going to be able to get a club just because of his name like Rooney.

Hammondo

I’d love for Carrick to coach Utd one day. But for his own good, he should stay at Boro, develop as a coach and get them into the premier league and I think that’s what he will do. Lampard was another talented young coach who took the step up too soon and ultimately destroyed his career.
Yea, and hopefully we will be in a better position for him, no chance we can play his possession football with this team.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I am intrigued why people prefer Carrick to McKenna? McKenna got promoted from League 1 and is now 2nd in the Championship having lost one game only.
I feel that both have a very solid future in the game but for me, Mckenna is the more capable manager at the moment & has the biggest upside. If Ipswich do the impossible & earn back to back promotions he will be in great demand.

siw2007

Yea, and hopefully we will be in a better position for him, no chance we can play his possession football with this team.
He needs to come into a club that knows the football it wants to play, knows the players it wants to buy and we can say, here are the tools, go and coach this team. Hopefully we can move to that model soon, after the takeover is complete. This model needs to be competent in itself but like we have hinted at, there is no way he can come in and fix this mess.