Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

Hammondo

The united job is in a different universe from Middlesbrough. Some of you need to give your heads a wobble.
He's clearly showing he knows football, certainly better than Rooney, Lampard, and Gerrard. Plus he did well in his short term as manager here, he's talented.

Rojofiam

Future candidate for the United job, without a doubt. He probably will have gained a few years of PL experience by the time it becomes a serious option.

Would love to see it happen in the future.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
He's clearly showing he knows football, certainly better than Rooney, Lampard, and Gerrard. Plus he did well in his short term as manager here, he's talented.
Hardly a high bar, is it? Nobody is arguing that he's got talent.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Harsh on Gerrard he's won shit in a decent enough league.

Hammondo

Yes but nowhere close to candidate for a job like united. We shall see how he does, good luck to him.
Oh not now, not good for us or him. In the future he might be good enough. I think if he continues at Middlesbrough he should get a PL chance with someone.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Over what period though?

Gerrard has an SPL title to his name albeit before he proved to be useless elsewhere, Carrick has barely two seasons experience at Middlesbrough to his name.

whitbyviking

Over what period though?

Gerrard has an SPL title to his name albeit before he proved to be useless elsewhere, Carrick has barely two seasons experience at Middlesbrough to his name.
Gerard had the favourite in a two horse race and the other horse went lame.

Carrick took a bottom of the league side to the brink of promotion, lost 60+ G&A this season and after a rough start has them around the playoffs while nursing an injury crisis worse than ours. I heard the commentators say that after the 2 injuries tonight they have 14 players out, most of them first teamers.

He’s got them scoring goals too, which is practically unheard of for a Middlesbrough side barring the periods they had the likes of Ravanelli, Viduka and Hasselbaink.

His record as manger, excluded trophies, is far more accomplished than Gerard I’d say.

gajender

Carrick, Alonso, Arteta, Guardiola - do DLPs simply make the best managers?
Apart from Guardiola other 3 have achieved nothing yet and could easily fade into relative obscurity in not so distant future in terms of managerial prominence.

So honestly I really don't know whether there is any correlation here .

Trequarista10

Apart from Guardiola other 3 have achieved nothing yet and could easily fade into relative obscurity in not so distant future in terms of managerial prominence.

They're all young and well on course. It's a semi jokey question, but I genuinely think players who are conductors on the pitch are more likely to be better tacticians. Especially those who were playing that role in the last 10-15 years in which tactics shifted towards possession, playing out from the back etc. Could also add Xavi to the list. They're all early 40s, and I don't see many other early 40s managers doing as well as those DLPs.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
They're all young and well on course. It's a semi jokey question, but I genuinely think players who are conductors on the pitch are more likely to be better tacticians. Especially those who were playing that role in the last 10-15 years in which tactics shifted towards possession, playing out from the back etc. Could also add Xavi to the list. They're all early 40s, and I don't see many other early 40s managers doing as well as those DLPs.
Historically central midfielders and centre backs? Yes.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Gerard had the favourite in a two horse race and the other horse went lame.

Carrick took a bottom of the league side to the brink of promotion, lost 60+ G&A this season and after a rough start has them around the playoffs while nursing an injury crisis worse than ours. I heard the commentators say that after the 2 injuries tonight they have 14 players out, most of them first teamers.

He’s got them scoring goals too, which is practically unheard of for a Middlesbrough side barring the periods they had the likes of Ravanelli, Viduka and Hasselbaink.

His record as manger, excluded trophies, is far more accomplished than Gerard I’d say.
I don't think you can exclude silverware, especially at this stage of two young managerial careers as it's the separating factor and involves removing a whole seasons work from one of their CVs.

Therefore I wouldn't say his record currently is better than Gerrard's and neither would most other football observers, the little which Carrick has achieved so far in an admittedly short career doesn't match up to winning an actual trophy. Even if his side were the favourites in a two horse race, being favourites and actually getting across the finish line are two different things.

I should just make it clear that were I to put money on which will end up the better manager my money would be on Carrick, but right now their records can't be compared, one has silverware the other has managed to get a side to play decent football over less than two seasons.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Next united manager
Let’s not get carried away. A lot different managing Middlesbrough to United. Let’s wait to see if he ever gets promoted with Middlesbrough and has a decent season in the prem first.

Redivy

Would be good if he can put together a good end to this year and challenge for promotion next season. A few years of experience in the Championship and then a move up to a mid-table premier league club could be great for him. Managers need to evolve before they make the step up to the elite clubs.

McKenna looks slightly ahead in terms of career progression, but he has experience working his way up coaching in the youth levels and was seen as a very talented manager back then too.

Will definitely be interesting to see these two progress over the next few years.

Pronewbie

Peep
Glad he's proving a lot of his critics wrong. The jobs for mates rubbish Goldbridge was spouting about Carrick was obviously nonsense especially when he was caretaker and clearly had the backing of our toxic dressing room.

I hope he does well with Boro and in the PL within the next few seasons. Then we can talk about him being a future United manager. He's obviously highly rated at this club.

gajender

Would be good if he can put together a good end to this year and challenge for promotion next season. A few years of experience in the Championship and then a move up to a mid-table premier league club could be great for him. Managers need to evolve before they make the step up to the elite clubs.

McKenna looks slightly ahead in terms of career progression, but he has experience working his way up coaching in the youth levels and was seen as a very talented manager back then too.

Will definitely be interesting to see these two progress over the next few years.
Does this statement even hold under scrutiny .

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I am aware that most people dont follow the Championship, but to praise him moving them from near the relegation places to top half is ridiculous, as the job became vacant in the first place due to them severely underperforming.

He is now in his first full season and has them sitting in 12th - truly remarkable, dont know how he has done it.

I forgot about the league cup and, when I saw this thread bumped, thought he has been sacked. He couldnt complain even if he was.

He has them well drilled yes but far too inconsistent, so not sure where all of this optimism is coming from. Bottom line, the results have not been good enough

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
If he wins the League Cup having beaten Chelsea and (presumably) Liverpool then goes onto win the Championship play offs, he certainly puts himself in the frame. Would certainly ellipse anything Ole did (Carrick would have earned the job on merit) and Lampard and Gerrard (who given the circumstances achieved the absolute minimum at Derby/Rangers).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
After a barren run and proceeded to go unbeaten.

I dislike Gerrard as much as the rest but he’s achieved something at least in management.
He's also made the Villa squad who, with only a handful of editions, are challenging for the league title, look like relegation battlers. Gerrard is a dreadful manager. It was clear to me, even just from the short stint as caretaker here, that Carrick has the presence and intelligence to be a good manager, whereas Gerrard has the emotional intelligence of a slighted Phil Collins fan after a 12 day bender.

Oranges038

I am aware that most people dont follow the Championship, but to praise him moving them from near the relegation places to top half is ridiculous, as the job became vacant in the first place due to them severely underperforming.

He is now in his first full season and has them sitting in 12th - truly remarkable, dont know how he has done it.

I forgot about the league cup and, when I saw this thread bumped, thought he has been sacked. He couldnt complain even if he was.

He has them well drilled yes but far too inconsistent, so not sure where all of this optimism is coming from. Bottom line, the results have not been good enough
I said earlier in this or another thread, mid season the championship league table is very hard to judge a teams performances or a manager. A few wins in a row and you could be in the play offs, a few losses and you find yourself in 12th or worse a relegation battle and are sacked. They are 12th, but really are only 4 pts off a playoff place. Basically any team down to 14th/15th isn't that far off the last 2 play off spots.

I wouldn't be calling him a future Utd manager yet at all. Rooney arguably did a better job at Derby, Lampard even had a better record at Derby than Carrick has had at Boro. And we all know how he did when he stepped up to the PL.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Does this statement even hold under scrutiny .
Not really, it does work, but not for everyone and it's definitely not the only way. Someone like Klopp worked his way up as suggested, while Pep or Zidane where just thrown into it after only managing the reserves - but they were familiar with their club, so they only needed to adapt to the team, not the structure around it.

And considering that there are lots of managers who work their way up and just seem to hit a ceiling at some point (like Moyes) show that not everyone has the necessary skills despite getting the chance to evolve.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Really do think he will be end up here eventually. He’s showing himself to be a really good manager dealing with difficult circumstances at Middlesbrough and imposing a good style of play. Feels like exactly the sort of manager Ratcliffe would eventually love to have in charge of us.
I would think McKenna is ahead of him at the moment. Obviously he doesn't have the playing history with us that Carrick does, but he's done even better with Ipswich than Carrick has done with Boro.

Both will need to prove what they can do in the PL before we get too giddy on them. Fingers crossed at least one of them does go on to be a great manager, in which case (especially for Carrick) you'd think they'd end up here.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Alonso hasn't won anything yet but to say he hasn't achieved anything yet is completely unfair. Leverkusen are quite literally performing as one of the best teams in the world, and have been doing so for 4-5 months now. Whether this will continue is obviously yet to be seen but that doesn't happen by accident.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Gerrard started his management career quite well before it all fell apart on him once he moved to the PL, so that's a cautionary tale of getting too ahead of ourselves. Hell even Rooney and Lampard did a decent job at Derby based on the circumstances at the club at their respective times.

gajender

Alonso hasn't won anything yet but to say he hasn't achieved anything yet is completely unfair. Leverkusen are quite literally performing as one of the best teams in the world, and have been doing so for 4-5 months now. Whether this will continue is obviously yet to be seen but that doesn't happen by accident.
That wasn't slight against any of the names mentioned it was just an observation that Apart from Guardiola none of them have proven to be great managers yet to make an assertion that DLP's make the best managers .

gajender

Not really, it does work, but not for everyone and it's definitely not the only way. Someone like Klopp worked his way up as suggested, while Pep or Zidane where just thrown into it after only managing the reserves - but they were familiar with their club, so they only needed to adapt to the team, not the structure around it.

And considering that there are lots of managers who work their way up and just seem to hit a ceiling at some point (like Moyes) show that not everyone has the necessary skills despite getting the chance to evolve.
That's my thinking as well that there is no pattern to what may or may not work at So called bigger clubs when appointing managers infact it kind of hold true for most Clubs .

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
While that's obviously very good and nice to see, he has to make it count. Otherwise it will be dismissed as a purple patch and forgotten.

They are favourites to win the cup and have decent shots at the EL and the league, they should get at least one this season.