Michael Edwards close to making return to LFC

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I refuse to believe this will happen because I won't be able to handle it if it doesn't. For those who don't know who Edwards is and what he's already done for us... Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I refuse to believe this will happen because I won't be able to handle it if it doesn't. For those who don't know who Edwards is and what he's already done for us... Be afraid. Be very afraid.
:lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
:lol:

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Afraid of a Klopp-less Liverpool? Pull the other one.
Like being afraid of a Fergie-less United… daft.
This guy has brought in a ridiculous amount of talent. Klopp turned them world class, but Edwards assessed and got the targets at low-ish prices. Mane, Salah, you name it. He delivered it.

He could work extremely well alongside Alonso or Amorim.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This guy has brought in a ridiculous amount of talent. Klopp turned them world class, but Edwards assessed and got the targets at low-ish prices. Mane, Salah, you name it. He delivered it.

All known quantities. Mane VVD etc. were very established obvious talents as was Fabinho. Salah, sure, but that's one player who I credit Klopp with maximising more than anything else.

Klopp was your key. Edwards is a fine catch but by no means worrying for us when we have Omar and Ashworth.

Foolsgold21

Appears to be more of a senior role for ‘FSG’ rather than just Liverpool like he used to do.

Do FSG own other clubs? Or maybe they’re about to?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
All known quantities. Mane VVD etc. were very established obvious talents as was Fabinho. Salah, sure, but that's one player who I credit Klopp with maximising more than anything else.

Klopp was your key. Edwards is a fine catch but by no means worrying for us when we have Omar and Ashworth.
I don't know their records admittedly. Could turn out really good. But Woodward set such a low bar that I'm sure they will be treated as royalty regardless.

Josh 76

Your post says it all.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It sounds like he would have a senior executive role on the football side role, probably overseeing the sporting director, academy setup, reserve team, woman's team, etc. I doubt he would be that heavily involved in things like first team recruitment - maybe as a final veto/approval but there would be a bunch of layers under him handling the process up to that point.

Holistically its important that clubs be run well and he seems like a good bet to run a club well. But I don't think his past success in terms of recruitment means all that much in terms of predicting Liverpool's future success in recruitment with him in a different role higher up the food chain.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't know their records admittedly. Could turn out really good. But Woodward set such a low bar that I'm sure they will be treated as royalty regardless.
Omar is known for his negotiation skills at City (dodgy dealing aside, ha). Ashworth did some great work with the FA and Brighton.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Positive move. I might be wrong but I think the club already has the next manager sorted behind closed doors.

We'll lose a lot with Klopp going but I don't think we'll just disappear as a competitive force. Kind of need Pep to piss off. Once that happens I think the league will be fairly open with no one able to dominate it.

Telsim

Does he not like Klopp or something? Was seemingly adamant about staying out of the game, now back in a senior role soon after Klopp decided to 'retire'.

K Stand Knut

He wears glasses, the wanker
I can’t decide if his glasses are a very recent addition or something that he wore in his younger years but im going to hazard a guess that he used to wear glasses.

I see a lot of Edwards and I haven’t seen him in a pair of specs for a long time

HookedOnAPhelan

I can’t decide if his glasses are a very recent addition or something that he wore in his younger years but im going to hazard a guess that he used to wear glasses.

I see a lot of Edwards and I haven’t seen him in a pair of specs for a long time
He's the type of guy to wear glasses without strength because he thinks it makes him look smart. I can tell, because I used to be that guy.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Does he not like Klopp or something? Was seemingly adamant about staying out of the game, now back in a senior role soon after Klopp decided to 'retire'.
That's interesting. Never thought of it that way. It was all nice and friendly for us but who knows. Maybe Edwards thought Klopp was cheat mode and he needed a proper challenge? Hope he didn't majorly flop. :nervous:

OverratedOpinion

Defininitely did a reasonable job last time he was there. A handful of decent signings that Klopp turned into great signings.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Now where have I heard that before? :lol:

Klopp is everything, the single most important reason you are where you are.
Oh I fully expect we won't be getting 90+ points any time. I understand that.

But you're being naïve if you think we'll go away altogether. The club is in a fairly healthy position overall. Much more so than when Klopp came in. A lot hinges on the new manager but once Pep goes, who's going to dominate the league? No one is standing out and it leaves it open for a free for all. Could see the winner change season after season. Maybe someone wins two in a row then falls away.

Post Fergie and pre-Pep's first title in 2018 it was City, Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea. Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs were all competing as well.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Now where have I heard that before? :lol:

Klopp is everything, the single most important reason you are where you are.
If get De Zerbi or Ange we'll be 6th and no higher. It's gonna have to be Alonso or Amorim. Even the latter is a risk. We're got going full Ole though, never go full Ole. I meant Moysie.

OverratedOpinion

If get De Zerbi or Ange we'll be 6th and no higher. It's gonna have to be Alonso or Amorim. Even the latter is a risk. We're got going full Ole though, never go full Ole. I meant Moysie.
You will be desperate for a manager the quality of Ole when you've got Gerrard guiding you to 7th alongside 38 year old Jordan Henderson on loan.

Varun1

(Did not know about the Howe/Hughes-link.)
" As Liverpool’s sporting director, Edwards would later sell Jordon Ibe, Brad Smith and Solanke to Bournemouth, managed by Howe and with Hughes installed as technical director, for considerable sums. " ... this makes more sense now.

K Stand Knut

But you're being naïve if you think we'll go away altogether. The club is in a fairly healthy position overall. Much more so than when Klopp came in. A lot hinges on the new manager but once Pep goes, who's going to dominate the league? No one is standing out and it leaves it open for a free for all. Could see the winner change season after season. Maybe someone wins two in a row then falls away.

Post Fergie and pre-Pep's first title in 2018 it was City, Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea. Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs were all competing as well.
I agree that your healthy but I’ll need some convincing that your as healthy as you were when Klopp arrived.

He/you spent the Coutinho money exceedingly well but I’m not sure you’ve got that level of money again and I’m not sure you’ve got a player you’re going to sell for the same amount of money that would facilitate Edwards coming back in and working his ‘magic’ again.

You’re certainly in a good position in a different way but a change of manager and no real change to personnel can go very wrong. We arguably see more problems with it than we do real, immediate successes

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He/you spent the Coutinho money exceedingly well but I’m not sure you’ve got that level of money again and I’m not sure you’ve got a player you’re going to sell for the same amount of money that would facilitate Edwards coming back in and working his ‘magic’ again.
Salah?!

I actually think they can spend a ton. Look at what they offered for Caicedo.

K Stand Knut

Salah?!

I actually think they can spend a ton. Look at what they offered for Caicedo.
Yeah maybe. Again, I’ll need convincing that someone will splash Coutinho levels of money on Salah at his age. I am just not convinced that many clubs need him. PSG, maybe. Saudi, maybe but they’re not renowned for their large transfer fees.

Plus, any new manager coming in and letting Salah go is already in a bit of trouble.

We’ll see about how much they end up spending.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Classic case of 'never go back'

But you're being naïve if you think we'll go away altogether.
I think nothing in fairness, except that you, like Dortmund, will likely struggle to reach anything like the level you have under Klopp.
He makes sides so much more than the sum of their parts and is one of the irreplaceables.

Chairman Steve

I feel with club officials like this that there’s only a finite time that you can have an advantage over the opposition before they eventually catch up to you, and maybe even do better than you, unless they are some kind of genius renaissance person.

I remember 20-25 years ago, Arsenal had this sixth sense to pick out ridiculous talent on the cheap and still compete with the United money machine, and then come the mid to late 2000s it seemed like a lot of other clubs did that and Arsenal’s advantage had gone.

So Edwards and his data driven player recruitment methods may just be the norm now, especially with clubs like Brighton and Brentford doing it and may not be the trump card it once was.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I agree that your healthy but I’ll need some convincing that your as healthy as you were when Klopp arrived.

You’re certainly in a good position in a different way but a change of manager and no real change to personnel can go very wrong. We arguably see more problems with it than we do real, immediate successes
We were in awful standing when Klopp arrived. The squad was full of average players (Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Lucas). We'd just finished 6th in 14/15, finishing the season trophy-less with a 6-1 loss at Stoke.

With regards to money, we offered 100 million for Caicedo in the summer. There's clearly money available. Klopp has enabled FSG to keep spending down at times.

The question is, can a new manager come in and keep us competitive.

I will say that Klopp didn't have us competing every season. 18/19 and 19/20 were excellent, and 21/22 was also very good. This year we seem to be doing well. 15/16 was an 8th placed finish and nothing won (not Klopp's squad tbf). 16/17 and 17/18 we made progress but failed to win anything. 20/21 and 22/23 were awful seasons.
I think the highest high's we've had will be hard to replicate without him, but that's not to say that we'd simply disappear for 5-10 years. This league is open and once Pep goes, there's no one in a position to dominate it.

I actually think City are more at risk of a drop off than we are when Pep goes, relative to the success both clubs have had.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Positive move. I might be wrong but I think the club already has the next manager sorted behind closed doors.

We'll lose a lot with Klopp going but I don't think we'll just disappear as a competitive force. Kind of need Pep to piss off. Once that happens I think the league will be fairly open with no one able to dominate it.
Replacing Salah will be huge too in my opinion.