Michael Keane| signed to Everton.

Do you want Michael Keane back at United?

• Yes

Votes: 259 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 172 28.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 171 28.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Please add one feck up per game due a lapse in concentration.
Like I said, the biggest problem with Evans was his confidence, being in and out of the side and with so many injuries he routinely made more errors than when Fergie got him in the side having 20 odd games on the run.

You knew when he went elsewhere who'd start him reguarly, without injuries he'd do well because he was a good defender. Anyway I don't want to get into discussing the pros and cons of Evans, the question is players at smaller clubs looking good.
That particular player, whos performed well at a smaller club was also part of a PL winning team that won our last championship at a canter and didn't look out of place.
And Michael Keane isn't Johnny Evans anyway.

Last edited:

Peanut Butter

Ferguson knew that. Seemingly Mourinho knows that. Sadly fanboys don't seem to grasp it.

Of United's 'world class' signings, in the Premier League era, how many have succeeded? Veron didn't, ADM and Falcao didn't, Pogba likely will but hasn't performed like you'd expect him to initially. Mata can't establish a starting berth and Mkhi has blown more cold than hot. Van Der Sar's stock had fallen by the time he arrived, Van Persie's success was isolated to one season. Berbatov never really fit in.....id say only Tevez arrived and left a great player.

United's ethos, much like Juve's and Bayern's, was to buy up the best domestic talent from within the league, players on the cusp of being considered top-level, and cultivating their development towards that status. Keane fits that criteria to a T, as does Dier. Both would be great additions and have are of the correct age to be part of a dynasty.
Bloody good post this.

It's because his name isn't Miguel Keaninho. They'd be loving this if it was.

If there's a manager in the Premier League who knows how to build a solid defence, it's Mr Mourinho.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Like it doesnt happen ? Shouldnt even be spread by Burnley, these clickbait journalists will make up any sort of fake news to get more attention.
I'm sure it happens. I just don't see any evidence of it here. Not going to make up fake news of fake news.

sajeev

Ferguson knew that. Seemingly Mourinho knows that. Sadly fanboys don't seem to grasp it.

Of United's 'world class' signings, in the Premier League era, how many have succeeded? Veron didn't, ADM and Falcao didn't, Pogba likely will but hasn't performed like you'd expect him to initially. Mata can't establish a starting berth and Mkhi has blown more cold than hot. Van Der Sar's stock had fallen by the time he arrived, Van Persie's success was isolated to one season. Berbatov never really fit in.....id say only Tevez arrived and left a great player.

United's ethos, much like Juve's and Bayern's, was to buy up the best domestic talent from within the league, players on the cusp of being considered top-level, and cultivating their development towards that status. Keane fits that criteria to a T, as does Dier. Both would be great additions and have are of the correct age to be part of a dynasty.
Even Tevez was pretty poor in his second season, due to all the drama. At times during that season, he had displayed a similar touch to the latter day Rooney.

Coming to Keane, I think he will be pretty good signing. I am struggling to think of the last really successful CB signing after Vidic (we didn't need one for a long time, had Evans and then the sick notes)
It's too early to comment on Bailly, as if things don't go his way and commits a few rash fouls, we will have people calling for his head too

liamp

Luckily for Michael Keane, the England, and now seemingly United, managers rate him.

Would you rather spend circa £40m on a defender from another league who looks monsterous on YouTube, like City did with Mangala and Otamendi, without really solving the problem?

Nobody knows how good he really is until he's exposed to the top level on a weekly basis, but his improvement in the past few seasons is impressive; factor in Mourinho, plus his obvious willingness to develop himself, and everything suggests he can grow into a very good player for the club.
This is a strange post. Here are the top CB tandems for all of the top 6 clubs: Luiz/Cahill/Azpi, Kompany/Otamendi, Mustafi/Kos/Mertesacker, Bailly/Rojo, Vertonghen/Alderweireld, and Matic/Lovren.

That's 14 CBs, and only 2 were bought from other Premier League squads (Cahill, Lovren). You could add Stones but given the way he's derided on here, it wouldn't lend credence to your argument.

There's no added benefit to buying a "league-proven" CB just like there's no added benefit to buying most other "league-proven" players

tomaldinho1

We really need a dominant central defender and this kid fits the bill. Would be a great addition.
We have Bailly though. IMO We need someone better on the ball but more physical than Blind. VVD is both, I don't think Keane is. What's the difference between him and someone like Maguire?

AndyJ1985

Bailly Rojo Keane and Blind sounds like a solid defence. If we wanted a world class signing for that position we'd have to spend huge amounts, and tbh the money is better spent on our attack right now. Keane will be a decent homegrown signing without breaking the bank.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout

That's a good point, and doesn't even include one of worst and most recent, Schweinsteiger. Van der Sar doesn't deserve to be on the list though.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We have Bailly though. IMO We need someone better on the ball but more physical than Blind. VVD is both, I don't think Keane is. What's the difference between him and someone like Maguire?
Keane is very dominant in the air and actually very efficient on the ball so not sure your point holds up buddy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seems like a lot of money for someone who has never struck me as a particularly exceptional player.

Some of the arguments in favour of signing him (particularly the "PL proven" one) are also nonsense.

However, this is a Mourinho team. Regardless of what we do in the transfer market this summer, I'm pretty confident we're going to be defensively solid next year. So even if Keane does turn out to be an underwhelming signing, the risk here is pretty low. I'd be much more worried by dubious signings in midfield or attack.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
This, for me, would be one of our most underwhelming signings in years (and there's been a few).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This, for me, would be one of our most underwhelming signings in years (and there's been a few).
Fellaini at the time was underwhelming as it gets, especially when Arsenal had just signed Ozil too.

Red Devil Rising

If there's one thing Jose is great at (other than winning trophies) it's building a great defence and recognising good defenders.

That for me is enough.

AP88

Supports
Man City
That's a good point, and doesn't even include one of worst and most recent, Schweinsteiger. Van der Sar doesn't deserve to be on the list though.
Edwin was a great signing, but the point I'm making is he wasn't regarded as world-class anymore at that point; his last season at Juve damaged his reputation to the point he ended up at Fulham.

He's the perfect foil for Bailly; measured , good reader of the game, dominant in the air and a decent communicator. His distribution is also very competent. Bailly's strengths and weaknesses merge alternately with Keane's, meaning a partnership will be be mutually beneficial and collectively effective.

I rate Maguire highly too and he'll do well for whoever he signs for (likely Spurs) but Keane is marginally better IMO, probably cheaper and has the club affiliation that will add something extra to the dressing room.

dichinero

Seems like a lot of money for someone who has never struck me as a particularly exceptional player.

Some of the arguments in favour of signing him (particularly the "PL proven" one) are also nonsense.

However, this is a Mourinho team. Regardless of what we do in the transfer market this summer, I'm pretty confident we're going to be defensively solid next year. So even if Keane does turn out to be an underwhelming signing, the risk here is pretty low. I'd be much more worried by dubious signings in midfield or attack.
This.
I don't mind a PL proven player but Keane is levels below the top echelon of PL CBs, the level that we need right now. We are not in any desperate need of a HG player as we can easily draft in a youth player to make numbers. Unless he has a potential ceiling higher that what we currently have, it is looking like a pointless and underwhelming

C'est Moi Cantona

A consistently fit first choice CB pairing counts for a lot, Bailly and Keane should give us that, and a great pairing they could make, so all for it myself.

liamp

Bailly Rojo Keane and Blind sounds like a solid defence. If we wanted a world class signing for that position we'd have to spend huge amounts, and tbh the money is better spent on our attack right now. Keane will be a decent homegrown signing without breaking the bank.
The problem is Rojo's recovering from a major knee injury. He likely won't be fit to start the season and there's no guarantee he comes back the same player. If you take away the 2016/17 version of Rojo, that CB depth isn't particularly impressive at all

Mister_Stubbs

A consistently fit first choice CB pairing counts for a lot, Bailly and Keane should give us that, and a great pairing they could make, so all for it myself.
What does Michael Keane bring to the team that we haven't already? For me if you put Jones or Smalling in a Burnley team they'd stand out just as much.

C'est Moi Cantona

What does Michael Keane bring to the team that we haven't already? For me if you put Jones or Smalling in a Burnley team they'd stand out just as much.
Smalling is like bambi on ice with the ball at his feet, and was never good enough, Jones of course is never fit long enough to be reliable, although he is a good defender imo.

Keane should give us a good quality and consistency fit defender, who will be an England international player for many years, and is United through and through, with the 25 % 'discount' it's a no braniner for me, he's just not the fancy name many were looking for.

Mister_Stubbs

Smalling is like bambi on ice with the ball at his feet, and was never good enough, Jones of course is never fit long enough to be reliable, although he is a good defender imo.

Keane should give us a good quality and consistency fit defender, who will be an England international player for many years, and is United through and through, with the 25 % 'discount' it's a no braniner for me, he's just not the fancy name many were looking for.
Disagree completely with Smalling, for a spell under LVG he was very very good. Yes he isn't the best on the ball but he has all the defensive qualities you need and has been at the club long enough to be forgiven for one poor season which was plagued by injury.

Keane has been consistently fit up until now, nothing to suggest he won't start picking up injuries. Also from the Burnley games I've seen he's done okay, nothing special that suggests he is capable of stepping up in to a side that wants to challenge for the league title and play in the champions league. The United through and through bit is a bit of a non point for me as well, Danny Webber for example is United through and through.. that's no reason to give him another go.. a bit of an over dramatic example there but you get my point. For me Keane is nothing but an okay English player, something we already have enough of in the squad like Lingard, Jones etc

Devil may care

Too much English, too much academy and and too much averageness for some here.
There's no problem with the first 2 things if the player isn't the 3rd thing, I doubt many here will be mad if we sign Rose who is English and I don't think anyone would be upset if Axel from the Academy is getting plenty of football next season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
First Silva who was talking with City and now Keane who was apparently talking to Liverpool. You've got to wonder if Jose is doing their agents a favour and making their negotiations a little trickier.

Jacko21

First Silva who was talking with City and now Keane who was apparently talking to Liverpool. You've got to wonder if Jose is doing their agents a favour and making their negotiations a little trickier.
Well if he is, he's done a terrible job thus far. City acquired Silva at a sensible price, within days of the season finishing and with minimal fuss.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well if he is, he's done a terrible job thus far. City acquired Silva at a sensible price, within days of the season finishing and with minimal fuss.
Just tongue in cheek really, maybe they panicked and offered him daft wages though :p

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well, he can walk.

Most of the time anyway,

So by default he will be more use than Jones.

Devil may care

Bloody good post this.

It's because his name isn't Miguel Keaninho. They'd be loving this if it was.

If there's a manager in the Premier League who knows how to build a solid defence, it's Mr Mourinho.
It's only a good post if there were actually any English players worth buying, but there aren't, and the whole sticking an inho on the end to try and devalue an opinion is such a cheap and lazy tactic, do you really think if we were linked to Harry Kane posters would be agfainst it because he's not Harryano Kaneninho? Of course not, because he's actually good enough.

Sheldon69

Maybe Jose is sold on rojo and bailley at the back and needs some RELIABLE cover and Keane fits the bill.
Smalling and jones can't be trusted to stay fit and if we spent 50 mill on a centre back the surely he would be too good for the bench .
For around 15/20 million Keane wouldn't be a bad back up and could certainly push for a starting berth if he keeps developing, at the rate he has done for the last 18 months .
Probably flog jones for the same price as Keane as I can't see us having 6 centre backs next season, if we're keeping bailey , rojo , blind , smalling ,jones and buying Keane .

Status
Not open for further replies.