Michael Keane

Conrad

I have to say i'd like United steal a couple of pages from Chelsea's book on loans. These guys are doing a top job while we end up sending people to completely wrong places in like 50% of the time or worse.
I think we need to loan him to prem team where he will get games, still probably too inexperienced for United. Does anybody know when his contract is due?
Loaning players is a bit of a lottery for all teams and Chelsea certainly aren't excluded. Plenty of their loan moves this season have been pretty awful for those involved (Chalobah, McEachran, Zouma, Kakuta) even with them effectively owning a feeder club in the Eredivisie. Their most successful loans have all been players they've bought who would start for 99% of teams making the task of loaning them out a lot easier.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think there is an argument for selling the likes of Keane and Lingard with buy back clauses. Loans do not always incentivise the loaning club to play the lad, whereas if they have bought them there is a definite likelyhood that he'll be in the starting line-up. Lower premiership teams are more likely to take a risk on a player that they invested a couple of million on than if they've stumped up for his wages for a couple of months. If the move pays off we buy him back at a much lower fee than if he was your normal English lad moving to United. Win-win all round.
I have thought of this too and think it would be a good idea. Similar to the way Barcelona do it and how Real Madrid just did with Carvajal.

JSMHE

I think this is the 2nd time he's talking about Michael Keane could be a top player. If I remember that the first one was during last season pre season.

Midnight1811

I think this is the 2nd time he's talking about Michael Keane could be a top player. If I remember that the first one was during last season pre season.
Aye, he said he wouldn't want to name specific names, but Keane is worth a punt. After that, I took a key interest in Keane, as he could become the next 'evans', in the sence of coming through the ranks and getting tid bits of game time. Like Evans, if we do sign another CB, then Keane should be shipped out to another prem side, to gain vital experience playing regular football. Perhaps Hull ?

Conrad

He also rated Fryers v highly..Keane could do with a full season in the PL to judge him really.
To be fair Fryers is the same age as Keane and played 13 games for Tottenham last season. It's a bit early to suggest Rio's assessment of Fryers as a talent was wrong.

goldenstatesplash

He also rated Fryers v highly..Keane could do with a full season in the PL to judge him really.
You can't be 'wrong' in assessing talent and potential in a youngster though. It's up to the player themselves to bring it to fruition. I am sure Rio has seen plenty of talented kids go through the United academy and never make it.

ricky-romeo

keane needs a PL loan move first imo. just like evans when he went to sunderland for a season before breaking into united's first team.

JSMHE

Though I didn't know about it. But Fryers is actually pretty decent back then. It's just that his attitude isn't professional enough. That's probably make him not be able to develop into top player. Oh well, he's still young anyway.

JSMHE

You can't be 'wrong' in assessing talent and potential in a youngster though. It's up to the player themselves to bring it to fruition. I am sure Rio has seen plenty of talented kids go through the United academy and never make it.
Agree it's all about players.
There is talent, and we can't just waste them. So obviously what we need to do is giving them chance and faith in them. And after that it's up to the players.

khoazany

Huddersfield (yeah it's them again), Blackburn and Cardiff all want to take Michael Keane on loan.I want him to stay but Cardiff would be my choice otherwise.

LR7

Shame Leicester aren't in for him again. I want him to stay though. I think he's ready to make the step-up and we are hardly flush with CBs so he's likely to get minutes here.

ricky-romeo

he needs a PL loan move imo. he has proven to be decent at championship level but if he is going to make it at united then he needs to get a season in the PL under his belt first. evans is a good example, spending a season in the championship and then a season in the PL with sunderland before breaking into the first team.

khoazany

Shame Leicester aren't in for him again. I want him to stay though. I think he's ready to make the step-up and we are hardly flush with CBs so he's likely to get minutes here.
They have Liam Moore an England U21s international who came through their academy and around the same age so it's unlikely they will sign a young CB on loan.They sent Moore on loan last time when they brought Keane in.

LR7

They have Liam Moore an England U21s international who came through their academy and around the same age so it's unlikely they will sign a young CB on loan.They sent Moore on loan last time when they brought Keane in.
Yeah I wasn't expecting them to, just suggesting it's a shame as it would have been ideal really. I know he wasn't with them last season but it wouldn't have been too dissimilar to Evans with Sunderland, who said it was great progress for him playing for them in two divisions.

Anyway I still hope he will play for our first team next season. I really like him as a player. He's not just a no nonsense defender, he's really classy on the ball as well.

khoazany

Apparently there's a rumour that Burnley want to have him in their book next season.Not sure if genuine.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If no PL club comes in for him, I think it'd be best to keep him at least till January. We know our CB's are injury prone and he could very easily be given a few games depending on the circumstances. I'd probably keep him as our 5th choice CB anyway, if not 4th choice and don't bother with a stop gap signing.

Bwuk

Unless we sign a back up for Rafael, I'd keep him here.

Jones would end up playing plenty at right back then so he'd be needed to cover for Evans/Smalling/NewCB

FromTheBench

It's potentially a really big season for him.

PL loan needed if we won't keep him which i hope we do. Last season first half was bit of a writeoff though he did well in his 2nd loan as a Right back.

LR7

I hope we keep him here (and play him) this season. I could see him overtaking Smalling in the (my) pecking order before the seasons out.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We'll keep him around I'd imagine, I don't see us playing Fletcher centre-back too many times this season.

FromTheBench

If we are playing 3-5-2 then keeping him makes total sense.

Buy one more CB and keep him and that should be enough.

Actually with his ball playing abilities and experience at RB as well, he might be suited to this system. What he needs to improve though is his reading and tackling. He seems very reluctant at times to put in blocks and go to ground and thus ends up allowing players a extra yard on his outside sometimes.

FromTheBench

If we're playing 3 cbs then we need 5 or 6 total imo, we'd want at least 4 for 2 cb sport.
5 should be enough as long as 2/3 of them are flexible to play either side or centrally.

If there are more injuries then Carrick/Fletcher could play one of the central roles or Shaw can very well fit in at LCB. Or so can Daley Blind if we buy him for Midfield or LB cover.

Nickosaur

I'd be happy with Evans/Jones/Smalling/Keane + 1 (Hummels is the dream, most likely de Vrij which I'd be happy with, feck off Vermaelen).

Like others have said, if we are in a bad injury situation, we can go 433/4231 and just play 2 CBs.

Sid234

Wouldnt be surprised if LvG plans to use Carrick in a role similar to Javi Martinez..

Ekeke

I'd definitely keep him and try to give him some games regardless of whether we sign a new CB.

He's another that's surprisingly quite good on the ball for a CB and seeing him again the other day he's developed physically.

And I think thats one area where Evans, Jones and Smalling could do with a little help in the future is both getting stronger themselves but also having the likes of Keane available to come in if we're having problems with a big burly striker pushing them about too easily.

Obviously having the physical strength in your body isnt the same as using it, so I'll be looking out for that

Brightonian

I'd definitely keep him and try to give him some games regardless of whether we sign a new CB.
For sure. Even with a four-man back line, we're seriously low on numbers at CB. Especially considering our perennial injury crisis there. For a three-man back line, two is the minimum we need to add. I'd be inclined to buy one, promote Keane and seriously consider promoting Thorpe too.

khoazany

Would a CB options comprise of Jones,Smalling,Evans,M.Keane,Blackett and/or Thorpe too risky?Assume we won't play 5 at the back every match and Fletcher/Carrick could cover there in the worst scenarios.

ricky-romeo

i'll be happy with another CB signing, smalling, jones, evans and michael keane. i reckon he'll be on the bench for most of the time at the very least.