Michael Keane

Lane

:lol: Lane. You genuinely couldn't have posted a less accurate summary of his performance. Penalty aside that was flawless, and the more I watch it the more I'm convinced there was nothing he could have done to avoid that 'handball'.

Some really nice bits of distribution there. His passing and ball control are real strengths, and it shows.
Well i personally think that relying on youtube highlights is somewhat idiotic. Even Kagawa has those great youtube clips almost every game, yet his actual level of play way below of what is expected. Funny enough, i watched this clip, and could not even find the moment when Roma hit the post. Then Keane lost an areal duel and then Smalling could not clear. That says it all really.

Brightonian

Well i personally think that relying on youtube highlights is somewhat idiotic. Even Kagawa has those great youtube clips almost every game, yet his actual level of play way below of what is expected. Funny enough, i watched this clip, and could not even find the moment when Roma hit the post. Then Keane lost an areal duel and then Smalling could not clear. That says it all really.
Those aren't highlights, that's his every touch of the ball. That is his whole performance. But I also watched the actual match, and like most people was very impressed with Keane, even for the large part of his half when we were playing with no midfielders, just forwards.

I can't see how you can possibly have got such a bizarre idea of his performance. Don't you think that not a single other person in this thread has been negative about his performance is telling you something?

Lane

Those aren't highlights, that's his every touch of the ball. That is his whole performance. But I also watched the actual match, and like most people was very impressed with Keane, even for the large part of his half when we were playing with no midfielders, just forwards.

I can't see how you can possibly have got such a bizarre idea of his performance. Don't you think that not a single other person in this thread has been negative about his performance is telling you something?
So basically every time he made a mistake, missed a ball, was dribbled thogh is not included in this video by principle design, because he did not touch the ball? Well that is kind of beyond stupid really. I really don't understand why would anybody do a clip like that. I mean touch clip maybe has some value for forwards. But definitely not for defenders.

PS Lets see how LVG would be impressed with him or otherwise. That is what matters most.

Brightonian

So basically every time he made a mistake, missed a ball, was dribbled thogh is not included in this video by principle design, because he did not touch the ball? Well that is kind of beyond stupid really. I really don't understand why would anybody do a clip like that. I mean touch clip maybe has some value for forwards. But definitely not for defenders.
Fortunately, as I said, anyone watching the game got the same positive impression of him. Phew!

Lane

Fortunately, as I said, anyone watching the game got the same positive impression of him. Phew!
No i think most of that "positive impression" is based on the fact that he is a local product and people desperately want him to do good, so much that they even ignore a simple reality like the fact that the guy at 21 has zero Prem experience.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Why are you even bothering? You have admitted to watching very little of Keane, you're proof of Jones being better on the ball is that he has played RB and in DM despite the fact Keane played RB for Blackburn and Derby fans were so impressed with his on the ball skills they wanted him played in a similar DM to what Jones is used in. You also seem to be judging his ability solely on the fact he hasn't played in the PL yet and went on loan to a declining Blackburn instead of his actual performances other than this supposed poor performance against Roma in which no one agrees with.

JSMHE

Well i personally think that relying on youtube highlights is somewhat idiotic. Even Kagawa has those great youtube clips almost every game, yet his actual level of play way below of what is expected.
The video is every touch of the ball not highlights. In that game, he was very comfortable with the ball, he is a good passer and doesn't give the ball away while under pressure. I don't see any shaky and very unrefined ball skills at all. I rather trust the video than your own word which I can't see any sense from it.

Funny enough, i watched this clip, and could not even find the moment when Roma hit the post. Then Keane lost an areal duel and then Smalling could not clear. That says it all really.
It's funny because you are actually wrong, Keane didn't lose areal duel when Roma hit the post, it was Ashley Young!! (One of the reason why we can't trust your opinion about Keane against Roma)
And also you need to look at the situation first before saying Smalling could not clear it. It wasn't in a situation for defender to be able to clear it easily. Smalling stick to him and made the shooter difficult to took a shot which made him no choice but overhead kick it. And it was a nice one as well from the shooter.

khoazany

Poor Didier Drogba.Still playing Ligue 2 football at 23.He must be fecking shite at football.

Sid234

Poor Didier Drogba.Still playing Ligue 2 football at 23.He must be fecking shite at football.
This. Players develop at different ages also.. Some develop early, while others take longer. Shaw is an example of the early development, while not many really rated M. Keane at age 17-18.. He was nothing more than Will Keane's twin.

Jones is an early bloomer too, I think LvG will give Keane a chance at the back this season though I'm surprised Tyler Blackett made it to the tour ahead of Tom Thorpe (much better defender), only reason I can think of is that Blackett's the only other left footed CB (Evans the other) we have in the team.

Anyway, back to the point.. I think Keane and Jones are two very different defenders, and its not fair compare the two especially since Jones has been playing 1st team football in the prem since the age of 18? Keane's got a lot of talent and I think LvG see's that too.

FromTheBench

Impressive again. Both defensively and on the ball.

One play where he tracked a offside player and won the ball not taking any chance was particularly impressive.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Impressive again. Both defensively and on the ball.

One play where he tracked a offside player and won the ball not taking any chance was particularly impressive.
Aye, again he did well, lost a runner from a throw in that Fletcher tracked and then bollocked Keane for but other than that he was good.

Tarrou

This. Players develop at different ages also.. Some develop early, while others take longer. Shaw is an example of the early development, while not many really rated M. Keane at age 17-18.. He was nothing more than Will Keane's twin.

Jones is an early bloomer too, I think LvG will give Keane a chance at the back this season though I'm surprised Tyler Blackett made it to the tour ahead of Tom Thorpe (much better defender), only reason I can think of is that Blackett's the only other left footed CB (Evans the other) we have in the team.

Anyway, back to the point.. I think Keane and Jones are two very different defenders, and its not fair compare the two especially since Jones has been playing 1st team football in the prem since the age of 18? Keane's got a lot of talent and I think LvG see's that too.
Sorry to nit-pick, but Evans isn't left-footed. Quite a few people seem to think he's left-footed, but he's clearly right-footed as that's the foot he uses to dribble the ball with.

Anyway, Michael Keane, another good performance from him. I hope LVG gives him some chances this season, I think he's good enough.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We still need a defender or possibly two, but Keane certainly has a place in the squad this season.

Gerald G

I said it before LVG and saying it again, Keane should stay. He deserves to be part of the team and we're not in the position now to be loaning him out. I'd get another CB in and keep Michael Keane.

LR7

I'm not overly keen on Blackett. He seems to dawdle on the ball a tad too long for my liking, but I said last season I hoped Michael Keane was promoted to the first team this season as I thought he was ready to step up and I'm still of that opinion.

savais

It makes sense why we didn't go for De Vrij. With Keane, Jones and Smalling alongside Evans (all right footed players), LVG is looking out for a left-footed defender for balance. Blackett is there, but I think we need one more, that's why Vermaelen is a big possibility. Anyone know some other left-footed defenders out there that could be right for us? Blind is obviously going to be linked to us as well.

KiD MoYeS

It makes sense why we didn't go for De Vrij. With Keane, Jones and Smalling alongside Evans (all right footed players), LVG is looking out for a left-footed defender for balance. Blackett is there, but I think we need one more, that's why Vermaelen is a big possibility. Anyone know some other left-footed defenders out there that could be right for us? Blind is obviously going to be linked to us as well.
Vertonghen would be ideal but that's a non-starter with Tottenham.

Devil may care

Much like Blackett I thought he took his opportunity well, both these young CB's could well see some game time in the PL this year I think.

Sid234

Sorry to nit-pick, but Evans isn't left-footed. Quite a few people seem to think he's left-footed, but he's clearly right-footed as that's the foot he uses to dribble the ball with.

Anyway, Michael Keane, another good performance from him. I hope LVG gives him some chances this season, I think he's good enough.
Evans is two footed, but I believe his natural foot is his left.. He can play with both his feet

The Neviller

Been impressed with him on this tour so far. I felt at the start of the summer that he wasn't quite ready yet, and that we might look to get him a Premier League loan for a year to give him more experience, but based on how impressive he's been against decent sides (not your average pre-season cannon fodder) I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a squad place next year. He looks very composed and comfortable on the ball for a young centre back.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Vertonghen would be ideal but that's a non-starter with Tottenham.
I'm not sure we need a first teamer. We seem to be going with Jones/Evans/Smalling as our starting back 3. Unless we buy real world quality, I'd favour getting a backup CB and see how Jones/Evans/Smalling can do in 3-5-2 under Van Gaal. If we can get back into the CL for next Season then we could potentially try again for a quality world class CB if our CB's fail to impress.

KiD MoYeS

I'm not sure we need a first teamer. We seem to be going with Jones/Evans/Smalling as our starting back 3. Unless we buy real world quality, I'd favour getting a backup CB and see how Jones/Evans/Smalling can do in 3-5-2 under Van Gaal. If we can get back into the CL for next Season then we could potentially try again for a quality world class CB if our CB's fail to impress.
Possibly, although I do think van Gaal will want to replace one of Smalling or Jones with a left footer.

The Neviller

Really? My bad then.. Always thought he was naturally left footed as he's mentioned being capable of playing as an LB if needed..
He played left back for Northern Ireland in his early days, but he's naturally right footed. Much like Denis Irwin who played left back for us whilst being right footed.

Lane

Does anybody when Keane's contract is up? I could not really find it anywhere. Transfermarket put it in 2014, which can't be right i guess. So i wonder if it's 2015 or later date?

Lane

Would not be much surprised if some people will be saying Real's pen is not his fault. Ridiculous defending that was. Guy needs a loan to some relegation candidate, everything else is very much above his pay grade.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Everybody slips.

But yeah, it was a poor attempt at defending on that one.

He'll have a learning curve getting used to someone like Bale running at him, no doubt.

Devil may care

More experienced defenders than Keane will get done by Bale's pace and power like that this season, other than that he's had a decent half.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Regardless of the peno, it's good experience for Keane to play against players like Bale. He needs games at PL level so that he gets more experience against top tier players.

Would not be much surprised if some people will be saying Real's pen is not his fault. Ridiculous defending that was. Guy needs a loan to some relegation candidate, everything else is very much above his pay grade.
Urgh. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would say it wasn't Keane's fault, so what's with the attitude.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Good ball for the 2nd goal, he'll learn. Just looked a bit nervous which is fine I mean 100,000 crowd vs Bale is a baptism of fire for anyone.

LARulz

Good experience, just needs help in dealing with Bale. Being left one on one with him is not fun

khoazany

Evans let Bales free to do a bicycle kick yet nobody mentioning about it.Somebody needs to actually watch football instead of forming agenda about some certain players.

JSMHE

The more I watch him, the more I believe he's ready as our 4th choice. Aside from that penalty he did great. He made some good challenge. He looks very solid. He looks very good when going forward, I think he made great run twice especially in 84th mins take on 2 players. Only 1 mistake that's ok, it's Bale anyway. The fact that we only conceded 1 goal from penalty in 90th mins showed that Keane and Jones did good job.