Michael Keane

FromTheBench

Thought he did well again despite the penalty situation which was bit unlucky.

His distribution particularly stands out. Had couple of good runs forward too and crucial headers.

Needs to just toughen up slightly at times.

Sid234

I wouldn't be surprised if he's loaned out to a prem club. The Guardian and Times are claiming that we're looking to sign 2 CB's.

Lane

I wonder what is his contract situation exactly?

I don;t think he is ready to be even a cover for the CB, he needs game time, he needs to play in PL regularly. I think loan or even a transfer out with some huge sell-on % and/or cheap buy back option would be the best solution for him and the club.

Lane

As for Roma's game, he has not impressed me, without considering pen, he made some mistakes and looked shaky. And what is also important, his on-the-ball skills are very unrefined.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
As for Roma's game, he has not impressed me, without considering pen, he made some mistakes and looked shaky. And what is also important, his on-the-ball skills are very unrefined.
At what point between a freak goal and a penalty did our defence look "shaky" Amos had to make one good save, that was it.

Think of what that defence had in front of them in midfield, now think of their relative inexperience, they all did well.

Lane

At what point between a freak goal and a penalty did our defence look "shaky" Amos had to make one good save, that was it.

Think of what that defence had in front of them in midfield, now think of their relative inexperience, they all did well.
There were like 4-5 episodes where Roma really threatened and we were lucky to escape, like when Roma hit the post or their forward missed an opportunity form center of the box. Our defense was far from being solid that day.

FromTheBench

What ? :confused: Can't agree with this at all.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Keane is good on the ball, how someone can say otherwise I don't know. Derby fans were so impressed with his ability on the ball they wanted to see him tried at DM.

Lane

Yes, he is good on the ball.
Okay lets see how he does in Prem whenever that will happen. In Roma's game i have not seen any shred of evidence to support it. Of course it is a friendly pre-season game, but still.
I think that LVG would not put a lot of confidence in M Keane and he will be more likely loaned or worse, stay with reserves and act as a "deep" cover.

JSMHE

And what, you'd say he is good on the ball? Have you seen Jones in the first half? That is good on the ball, well at least "okay".
Keane is better than Jones in term of "good on the ball"

JSMHE

There were like 4-5 episodes where Roma really threatened and we were lucky to escape, like when Roma hit the post or their forward missed an opportunity form center of the box. Our defense was far from being solid that day.
If we have a better midfield not using Kagawa and Lingard then those chances might won't happen. Not to mention we use 3 in the back. Play 3 in the back is harder to communicate for centre back than play 4 in the back.

khoazany

I think that LVG would not put a lot of confidence in M Keane and he will be more likely loaned or worse, stay with reserves and act as a "deep" cover.
I think you'll be disappointed but well, we'll all have to wait and see.

Just to clarify, my opinion is he was good on the ball in the Roma match, not just generally.

Lane

Keane is better than Jones in term of "good on the ball"
That's just ridiculous. Jones used to play at RB and in midfield in Prem, Keane would have been a completely no-go in this position. Jones dribbling for a CB is quite good either.
If we have a better midfield not using Kagawa and Lingard then those chances might won't happen. Not to mention we use 3 in the back. Play 3 in the back is harder to communicate for centre back than play 4 in the back.
If we had better defenders or our defender played a better match these chances might not have happened either.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
That's just ridiculous. Jones used to play at RB and in midfield in Prem, Keane would have been a completely no-go in this position. Jones dribbling for a CB is quite good either.

If we had better defenders or our defender played a better match these chances might not have happened either.
It is clear you have seen around 1 Michael Keane game, you keep referring to Roma whiteout even a mention for his performance in the game before. Nor any of his u-21 games or games out on loan. I don't mind differing opinions, but make sure it isn't ill informed.

Lane

It is clear you have seen around 1 Michael Keane game, you keep referring to Roma whiteout even a mention for his performance in the game before. Nor any of his u-21 games or games out on loan. I don't mind differing opinions, but make sure it isn't ill informed.
I have seen little of him, but that is somewhat his fault, he is 21 already and he is yet to have a proper season in top flight even for Hll, Sunderland etc.
So yeah, if he will show some real class in other games for a first team or a PL side i will amend my opinion. But also i think his performances for u-21 can't be used as any sort of example. Good players at 21 years of age should performing at top level. Under-21 is for much younger players in the making. And i had seen him in LA match, but the opposition was so weak, it is hardly a decent test.

JSMHE

So you think Jones is a better in term good on the ball than Rio Ferdinand since Jones used to play at RB and Midifled? Before you think mine is ridiculous, you might need to know a bit more about Jones. Jones dribbling is just a rush dribbling. It's different with a ball control dribble. You need to know a role what Jones get in midfield. He is a ball winner and knows how to tight mark his opponent that's why Sir Alex gave him that role. And he offers an energy which we were lacking in midfield.

Some of the chances didn't become conceded thanks to the defenders giving pressure and closing them down as well. Those chances came because the midfield Kagawa and Lingard and the wing players failed to close down the players. If they closed down the players, players won't be able to make passes. First conceded because the midfield failed to closed down players. The 2nd was never be a hand ball. It was an unlucky called.

JSMHE

I have seen little of him, but that is somewhat his fault, he is 21 already and he is yet to have a proper season in top flight even for Hll, Sunderland etc.
So yeah, if he will show some real class in other games for a first team or a PL side i will amend my opinion. But also i think his performances for u-21 can't be used as any sort of example. Good players at 21 years of age should performing at top level. Under-21 is for much younger players in the making. And i had seen him in LA match, but the opposition was so weak, it is hardly a decent test.
Keane has already prove himself in his loan previous seasons that he's very good enough for championship clubs. With his ability he should taste an EPL level. This season should be what he gets. Rio Ferdinand already said a lot of good things about Michael twice.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Not exactly easy when Ferdinand and Vidic are in front of you, very few centre backs are ready at 21.

I'm more troubled by another aspect of your post though, if U-21 performances can't be used as a barometer then how is another premiership club supposed to ascertain whether or not they should be taking him on ?

khoazany

If you see what happened with Nastasic you can understand why PL clubs rarely want to take risk with CB of that age.Evans played for Sunderland at the same age but he's been with them since their Championship day so they've known more than enough about him to take that risk.Managers need to have balls to play a CB without top-flight experience at this league, and I don't see many of them around.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If you see what happened with Nastasic you can understand why PL clubs rarely want to take risk with CB of that age.Evans played for Sunderland at the same age but he's been with them since their Championship day so they've known more than enough about him to take that risk.Managers need to have balls to play a CB without top-flight experience at this league, and I don't see many of them around.
I find it staggering that a new signing from overseas would be given a couple of mistakes to make and it would be all down to the "adjusting" period yet a team expects one of its young players to be ready from the word go. If more teams persevered then they would save themselves a fortune.

khoazany

I find it staggering that a new signing from overseas would be given a couple of mistakes to make and it would be all down to the "adjusting" period yet a team expects one of its young players to be ready from the word go. If more teams persevered then they would save themselves a fortune.
You can't really find a bottom table team willing for its foreign recruit to have an "adjusting" period either.Forren was kicked back to the Norwegian league after only half a season.With the competitiveness of the PL and how much financial or other benefit it can bring to a club compared to the Championship most teams are willing to go for safe options.Even a once hyped Muniesa from Barca could only make a few appearances for Stoke and he already played in Segunda A (Barca B) for a few seasons making 79 appearances before coming to PL.He's one year older than Keane to put things in perspective.

Lane

I'm more troubled by another aspect of your post though, if U-21 performances can't be used as a barometer then how is another premiership club supposed to ascertain whether or not they should be taking him on ?
They do it for players who are much younger, like M Keane two years back.
Not exactly easy when Ferdinand and Vidic are in front of you, very few centre backs are ready at 21.
You sure you did watch United over the last three seasons? Because what you say is completely ridiculous. United had a huge number of CB pairings in the last 3 seasons. Obv because Vidic, Rio were old&injured&out-of-form etc. They were not a great pairing they used to be. And if there was a perfect time for a truly talented CB to break into the squad - that was it.
Then again lets rewind back to 2008-something years. Evans was playing in PL while he was 20-21. And loan, but still, he managed to get a loan to a Prem club, not Blackburn Rovers in decline. Then he actually played for our team making like a ~20 apps a season. And that was in 2009 or about, when Rio&Vidic partnership was much more solid and younger.

Kag

I'll say it again, Premier League loan. We wasted a year of his career last season, we shouldn't be at it again. He will be very good in time.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
tbh, I think all of our CB's have performed well so far. Keane's shown that he's capable at this level, i'd certainly have him in the squad as 4th/5th choice CB.

dutchred

tbh, I think all of our CB's have performed well so far. Keane's shown that he's capable at this level, i'd certainly have him in the squad as 4th/5th choice CB.
I think Thorpe is the best young defender we have.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think Thorpe is the best young defender we have.
I haven't seen enough of our youngsters to know tbh.

I just know that Keane deserves to be given a go (like Lingard). If they both underwhelm this season then they'll be moved on and the next ones given a go. I hate players going out on loan, doing really well and then not evening getting 1 first team appearance. At least with Van Gaal at the helm this won't happen, he'll be making sure he gives our young players a go in the first team no matter their age.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I haven't seen enough of our youngsters to know tbh.

I just know that Keane deserves to be given a go (like Lingard). If they both underwhelm this season then they'll be moved on and the next ones given a go. I hate players going out on loan, doing really well and then not evening getting 1 first team appearance. At least with Van Gaal at the helm this won't happen, he'll be making sure he gives our young players a go in the first team no matter their age.
In fairness, you'd hope that unless they're fecking terrible they'd get at least 2 years of being in and around the squad before being shipped out.

mo0

shiny new objects. remember, homegrown talent is rubbish!

@khoazany - i'd be inclined to say Nastasic was lauded in his first season! injuries halted his second season.

JSMHE

Rowem

gently, down the stream
If Leicester want him back now they're in the Prem that would surely be the ideal loan for him?

Although I think he's good enough to be on the bench/first reserve for us anyway.

Brightonian

:lol: Lane. You genuinely couldn't have posted a less accurate summary of his performance. Penalty aside that was flawless, and the more I watch it the more I'm convinced there was nothing he could have done to avoid that 'handball'.

Some really nice bits of distribution there. His passing and ball control are real strengths, and it shows.