Michael Keane

Count Orduck

Nope. Apart from the foreigners who call themselves Dubliners, we're more like the Scots and the Welsh - relatively pure. Unlike the English. The English are mongrels.
Well, without wanting to take this thread too off-topic, I'm not sure how true this is. There's plenty of Scots in the North, Wexford is full of Norman/French surnames owing to the Norman incursions of 1169 and 1171. There's a fair amount of English blood from descendents of the Anglo-Irish, not to mention the recent influx of immigrants owing to the open borders of the European Union. And Dublin was founded by Vikings!

Member 39557

sorry what?
Initially, he was rumoured to be the more talented player. I can't say I've seen enough of him to confirm this. I'd also suspect that injuries and a lack of first team action have probably held his development back a bit.

I hope he gets a decent run at QPR so we can see.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Just noticed from the England U21's game that Michael Keane is still a regular starter for them so Gareth Southgate (a CB himself) clearly rates him far higher than Tyler Blackett (who is not even in the current squad)

he's getting virtually no game time on loan at Burnley though - given our current injury crisis, he would surely be getting a game (minimum a place on the bench) if he was still at the club, do we have any option to recall him?

Loublaze

ATLien
Just noticed from the England U21's game that Michael Keane is still a regular starter for them so Gareth Southgate (a CB himself) clearly rates him far higher than Tyler Blackett (who is not even in the current squad)

he's getting virtually no game time on loan at Burnley though - given our current injury crisis, he would surely be getting a game (minimum a place on the bench) if he was still at the club, do we have any option to recall him?
The loan is only until January.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The loan is only until January.
Fair enough - I guess either we buy a new CB or he comes back into the squad in Jan, he is wasting time doing feck all at Burnley anyway.

I had expected him to be part of the squad this season but he didnt impress preseason and LvG loves his leftfooters so Blackett got the nod instead.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Keane is far too cumbersome to become a top class CH.

He also has at least one bad mistake in him everytime he plays.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone as soon as a half decent bid comes in.

Decotron

Hes probably better than Blackett all things considered but if Thorpe cant get a game Keane hasnt a hope imo....

Ekeke

Keane has been involved with the international teams for a while, while Blackett hasnt been. Also Blackett had a sudden and surprise boost to his career in preseason but he hasnt managed to follow it up so far in his first team games, so thats probably why he isn't included.

Decotron

I don't think van Gaal sees it the same way as Keane has already played over 135 minutes for us this season compared to Thorpe's 1.
Tell me about it. Far be it from me to disagree with LVG but from everything Ive seen from Thorpe over the last few seasons tell me he's the best out of the three.

Really hope he gets a chance to show it, his performances certainly warrant it.

FromTheBench

Blackett is better than Keane
Nah he isn't.

And Keane was ahead of Thorpe anyway so don't get Decotron's comment either.

Anyway, though Keane would be starting for us instead of sitting on Burnley's bench if he was still here given injuries he has stagnated now.

Loublaze

ATLien
Nah he isn't.

Anyway, though Keane would be starting for us instead of sitting on Burnley's bench if he was still here given injuries he has stagnated now.
He looked way out of his depth in preseason save for a few average shows of skill. Blackett was much more composed and took his chance. If Keane impressed LVG when it mattered he wouldn't be on loan while Blackett started United's first 5 games. The kid is a tad overrated and most of his most hardcore followers thought he'd be pushing for a first team place by now

FromTheBench

He looked way out of his depth in preseason save for a few average shows of skill. Blackett was much more composed and took his chance. If Keane impressed LVG when it mattered he wouldn't be on loan while Blackett started United's first 5 games. The kid is a tad overrated and most of his most hardcore followers thought he'd be pushing for a first team place by now
He didn't look way out of his depth. Huge exaggeration. He was as good/Bad as Blackett pretty much and Blackett got on tour to begin with itself and then got ahead due to being a Leftie and LVG's left footer fetish basically. Also he was more suited to a back 3.

Now Blackett has gotten behind Mcnair in a back 2 as well and gone back to struggling for the U21s as a CB in a 2. Southgate has had Keane regular for the U21s too in a great run he's had while Blackett doesn't even get a call up despite being shortage of left footed CBs' and many other CB's and LB's withdrawing too.

Blackett took his chance well in a new formation unexpectedly but LVG's Left right rigidity has benefitted him extremely. That was the reason why he targetted Vermaelen and Rojo when probably better CB's individually were available too.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Keane has been involved with the international teams for a while, while Blackett hasnt been. Also Blackett had a sudden and surprise boost to his career in preseason but he hasnt managed to follow it up so far in his first team games, so thats probably why he isn't included.
Blackett was in the England squad a few months ago though, so Southgate has had a look at him and decided that Keane is the better option.

Nah he isn't.

Ye he has stagnated, this season should have been the one for him but difficult to see where he goes from here - he might come back in Jan but LvG obviously doesnt fancy him.

Loublaze

ATLien
He didn't look way out of his depth. Huge exaggeration. He was as good/Bad as Blackett pretty much and Blackett got on tour to begin with itself and then got ahead due to being a Leftie and LVG's left footer fetish basically. Also he was more suited to a back 3.

Now Blackett has gotten behind Mcnair in a back 2 as well and gone back to struggling for the U21s as a CB in a 2. Southgate has had Keane regular for the U21s too in a great run he's had while Blackett doesn't even get a call up despite being shortage of left footed CBs' and many other CB's and LB's withdrawing too.

Blackett took his chance well in a new formation unexpectedly but LVG's Left right rigidity has benefitted him extremely. That was the reason why he targetted Vermaelen and Rojo when probably better CB's individually were available too.
If LVG didn't think Blackett was ready it wouldn't have even mattered that he was left footed. It also doesn't matter that Southgate rates one over the other, its LVG who these young players breaking through need to impress, not age restriction international managers. Keane wasn't as good as Blackett in preseason, he looked decent on the ball and he also looked nervous and shaky at times, the penalty he conceded against Real Madrid was down to him panicking against Bale and even though it was merely a rookie error, LVG certainly noticed. Both Thorpe and Keane are older than Blackett/McNair and they are both under real threat by the younger players.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
noticed on MOTD that he started for Burnley for the first time today - didnt really notice him much in the highlights so no idea if he was any good or not

kundalini

At fault for Villa's goal. Dropped too deep, playing Cole on-side in front of the goal. Otherwise seems to have done ok without being that involved.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
seems to be getting a bit of a run in the Burnley team - 3rd start in a row today

Acole9

Outstanding
If he keeps playing regularly at Burnley then his loan spell should be extended until the end of the season.

Ekeke

Just something interesting that I wasn't expecting when looking through whoscored.com's highest average ratings for CBs in europe's leagues, but Michael Keane is actually managing to feature in the top 10 when you dont set minimum appearances

Its just featuring his 3 starts so far, but he comes out at 7.91 putting him at 10th in the list for his starts against Villa, Newcastle and Burnley. Phil Jones also makes 6th with 7.94 for his 4 appearances so far

Now this list is not that useful especially when a player has only started 3 games at CB. However, I just wanted to note that if he can keep those high scoring performances up for a sustained period he's on course for something that would be impressive and very welcome when he returns from his loan spell hoping for some chances

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Awarded the sponsors man of the match today against Southampton.

FromTheBench

Was voted Sponsors MOTM today vs Southampton.

Edit - I'm late. :p

Apparently made one bad aggressive challenge though injuring Hesketh.

khoazany

I hope some of his haters will realise that a few nervous games don't make a player a shit one.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Was voted Sponsors MOTM today vs Southampton.

Edit - I'm late. :p

Apparently made one bad aggressive challenge though injuring Hesketh.
Hesketh was being a prick so Keane planted a hard one on him. Good to see.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I didn't watch the match, but it seems like Keane performed well at the back after initially struggling against Aston Villa and QPR. I just hope Dyche doesn't drop him once Duff comes back. Keane seems to be building momentum and looks more settled in the first 11.

Sid234

He was their best player in the game vs QPR too according to whoscored's player ratings.. Good to see him get settled in and make an impact.

I remember when he was just an RB in the U-18's who was most famous for being Will Keane's twin!

LR7

I think he's had 6 starts and 2 sub appearances, which isn't bad. I have high hopes for him.

Sid234

He's taken advantage of the chance he was given after Duff got injured and made the position his. Has been solid at the back since and good to see him rise to the occasion and do well.