Michael Oliver

arthurka

Chris Foy said that Fellaini wasn't offside...
Morgan trying to block the cross and the ball going to Fellaini as a result played him onside..

OneUnited24

Morgan trying to block the cross and the ball going to Fellaini as a result played him onside..
Did Morgan gets a touch though? Also wasnt Fellaini offside when the ball was hit?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Poor Michael. He's a miserable looking fecker. He has an eye like a worried cow.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Awful game by him. For me he got most things wrong and after the first half I was starting think he was crocked but he then got the handball decision wrong for the penalty. So probably just a crap referee.

arthurka

Maybe technically, but the law is messed up if that isn't offside.
The rule is simple, if the player touches the ball doing something that isn't accidental his touch counts.. Thats why Fellaini was on.. Chris Foy said so.. And left Savage of his rockers..

Did Morgan gets a touch though? Also wasnt Fellaini offside when the ball was hit?
Yeah the ball went of his knee. So even if Fellaini was off when the pass came his touch played Fellaini on..

Drainy

The rule is simple, if the player touches the ball doing something that isn't accidental his touch counts.. Thats why Fellaini was on.. Chris Foy said so.. And left Savage of his rockers..
Yeah I heard what he said and understand it, but it is still mental. Felliani was in an offside position when Lingard played the ball, and just because the defender made an attempt to block the pass the 'new phase' shouldn't mean he is no longer able to be offside.

I remember this happening years back and it's still a farce.

R'hllor

I will take faulty VAR over this cnut any day, discussion among people in pubs and other things can piss off

AXVnee7

Thought he had a decent game. Biggest mistake was not spotting or not acting upon the keeper coming off his line for the penalty.

Not sure why offside is being brought into a thread about Michael Oliver?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Did anyone else see Chris Foy on BT Sport saying Fellaini wasn't offside because Wes Morgan was intentionally playing the ball? Absolutely bizarre. Had Savaged baffled. His explanation was that he was intentionally playing the ball as he was trying to block the shot.

So now is it always onside even if it slightly deflects off a players boot? Surely can't be the case.

I think Foy genuinely didn't know the rules but then he's a professional ref so surely not. Baffling to say the least though. Saying Wes Morgan intentionally playing the ball to Fellaini as though it was a dodgy back-pass or something..

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It is. It's not in the 'spirit of football', but it is currently the law- as stupid as it is.
Is it a new law? Has to be as that goes against everything I've ever known about football. The amount of slightly deflected through balls to offside players we will have seen...should they have been counted as onside all along?

Drainy

Is it a new law? Has to be as that goes against everything I've ever known about football. The amount of slightly deflected through balls to offside players we will have seen...should they have been counted as onside all along?
Nope- been around for ages. If the defender intentionally plays the ball (even if it is not a 'controlled attempt') it is classed as a new phase of play.

I linked this example of how stupid the implication is in my earlier post;

Legit goal

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Simpsons handball looked no way deliberate to me, yet Fuchs leaning his whole body sideways to block it with his arm 20 seconds earlier was a clear penalty. Odd decisions.

The incident in the first half where Pogba knocked the ball beyond Fuchs, Fuchs poked the ball out over the byline with his toe and then barged Pogba over - Goal kick :houllier: It just couldn't be a goal kick. It had to be a corner or a foul. Mental.

As for Fellaini onside/offside, wasn't he offside as Lingard plays the ball, before the deflection? Surely that phase of play would negate whether or not Morgan then makes contact?

Feedingseagulls

Yeah the ball went of his knee. So even if Fellaini was off when the pass came his touch played Fellaini on..
Errrm... wouldn't that mean that a goalkeeper saving the ball should be the same? So no rebound goal could ever be offside? I'm confused.

Feedingseagulls

Apparently not... I would think not, Foy must know the rules.. One would think..
It must be something to do with how it is actually worded... but an attempted block of a shot or cross, and a attempted save, seem so very similar in their intention that one does wonder how they believe it can differ apart from a keeper's save not counting... but an attempted pass by the keeper that is intercepted by someone in an otherwise offside position is supposed to be ok...

Still confused.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Apparently not... I would think not, Foy must know the rules.. One would think..
It being accidental has nothing to do with it. By touching the ball you're affecting the play. Fellaini's goal was offside and Mata's wasn't.

arthurka

It must be something to do with how it is actually worded... but an attempted block of a shot or cross, and a attempted save, seem so very similar in their intention that one does wonder how they believe it can differ apart from a keeper's save not counting... but an attempted pass by the keeper that is intercepted by someone in an otherwise offside position is supposed to be ok...

Still confused.
Me too.. Really strange this...

It being accidental has nothing to do with it. By touching the ball you're affecting the play. Fellaini's goal was offside and Mata's wasn't.
Not according to Foy it's actually vise versa..
Mata's left foot was offside by the smallest margins and according to Foy Morgans interference trying to block the shot and deflecting the ball played Fellaini on..

PieCrust

I find it unforgivable that he let Schemiecal get 3 feet off the line on the PK w/o calling it for a re-take. Terrible.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Me too.. Really strange this...

Not according to Foy it's actually vise versa..
Mata's left foot was offside by the smallest margins and according to Foy Morgans interference trying to block the shot and deflecting the ball played Fellaini on..
Sounds like Foy is sticking up to his mates to me. The deflection (was there one even one?) does not create a new phase of play.

Still confused.
You're right to be confused because it's incorrect. A keeper saving the ball would be no different than a deflection but that's a moot point as neither creates a new phase of play and thus Fellaini was offside.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Awful ref. Manchester has been a happy place today, with pride and the win, but this t-t almost ruined my mood. 100 per cent against us. Only gave the most blatant calls in our favour. Martin Atkinson's heir apparent.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I find it unforgivable that he let Schemiecal get 3 feet off the line on the PK w/o calling it for a re-take. Terrible.
Doesn't matter anyway, lukaku always goes the same way. He's a pointless penalty taker when you have players like Mata android pogba on the pitch.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Did anyone else see Chris Foy on BT Sport saying Fellaini wasn't offside because Wes Morgan was intentionally playing the ball? Absolutely bizarre. Had Savaged baffled. His explanation was that he was intentionally playing the ball as he was trying to block the shot.

So now is it always onside even if it slightly deflects off a players boot? Surely can't be the case.

I think Foy genuinely didn't know the rules but then he's a professional ref so surely not. Baffling to say the least though. Saying Wes Morgan intentionally playing the ball to Fellaini as though it was a dodgy back-pass or something..
Foy is speaking utter nonsense, ex-ref or not. Laws of the game:
“gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position​
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.
In fact, the rules have a scenario exactly like this:

arthurka

Foy is speaking utter nonsense, ex-ref or not. Laws of the game:

In fact, the rules have a scenario exactly like this:
He kind of mentioned this:
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.
His taking was that Morgans deflection was deliberate so it fits the rule..

Just saying I am just as baffled as anyone else..