Michael Oliver

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Of course not, but the best referees keep their cool during big games. If «feck off» is always an automatic yellow card, Wayne Rooney would have been given 466 red cards during his career. This is a football match, let’s not pretend it is something else. Not sure if any lip readers have investigated Herrera’s words after his correct booking, I assume it was not «thank you sir». Again, trying to find excuses like Silva swearing at the ref is kind of pathetic. Silva is a gentleman of the game, hence he stays on. Same would go for Giggs, Lampard and so forth. Just like a cop not always giving a speeding ticket or fine for forgetting your licence - a ref is not only there to follow the book, but controling the spectacle. If you disagree with that, I assume you will come forward the next time our player does exactly the same - and it will most likely happen in the next game.
He doesn't keep his cool though. He regularly loses his rag with players, which is why we frequently get shows of bravado from him where he gets all card happy, usually toward the end of the game because he's done feck all to keep the players in check beforehand.

You've picked one weird example there that barely anyone has mentioned, and ignored the countless other aspects of his refereeing that people have a problem with.

Trizy

Complete and utter useless bellend. How is he even a ref? Also clearly hates United.

Mine you he's shitty performance didn't effect the outcome for once.

ti vu

Complete and utter useless bellend. How is he even a ref? Also clearly hates United.

Mine you he's shitty performance didn't effect the outcome for once.
Not directly affect the outcome, but definitely stifled our momentum when City was given advantage to execute their game (defensive) plan (cynical foul to break our counter and having no fear for punishment).

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's a bad ref because players can never expect how much he allows. It's seemingly random what is a foul and what isn't. He's wildly inconsistent and generally only gives very safe yellow but now and again he makes a blinder of a call which highlight his inconsistencies.

I don't the players in either side were happy with him today.

E-mal

Another very good performance from Oliver today. Too many biased supporters here thinking every decision that could go their way if they were very lucky should go their teams way every time and yes Hererra clearly dived. Stop whinning lads.
Jesus and Sterling both dived but he looked away, or perhaps you didn't see that.

stevoc

Two of those subs came on at half time when play was dead.
Not sure if that matters, but they wasted more than one minute.

Having said that i don't think it really mattered. He could have added another 15 minutes onto the end of the game United just didn't look like scoring in the second half.

Decomposing In Paris

I'm not of the opinion that he cost us the match, but I am starting to lose a little faith in refereeing in the Premier League. I can't help but feel that we need VAR to assist referees. As things stand, we are allowed no explanation as to why Oliver didn't book Jesus for diving, or for cutting Martial down from behind to stop a break. There were many incidents in the game that could be highlighted, but I'd love to know just a little. Instead I'm left with the feeling that there are 23 people on the pitch who can affect the game, rather than 22. That's just not as much fun as Blatter seemed to think.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm not of the opinion that he cost us the match, but I am starting to lose a little faith in refereeing in the Premier League. I can't help but feel that we need VAR to assist referees. As things stand, we are allowed no explanation as to why Oliver didn't book Jesus for diving, or for cutting Martial down from behind to stop a break. There were many incidents in the game that could be highlighted, but I'd love to know just a little. Instead I'm left with the feeling that there are 23 people on the pitch who can affect the game, rather than 22. That's just not as much fun as Blatter seemed to think.
Jesus did enough in that game to be sent off. Blatant dive in the box with no contact. Cynical foul on Martial, with no attempt to play the ball.

I would say that both Jesus and Silva did enough to get sent off. Probably Lingard as well.

caid

He was fine today.
The real problem is that you need more than a good ref against city.
You need a good ref who's going to throw cards around to cut out the cynical fouling in particular.
Because lets face it, he was good at not giving anything away for dives which is the best anyone can hope for most weeks.
Lots of yellows would have favoured us a lot but another week i'd be bitching about it and how its breaking up play or whatever.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jesus did enough in that game to be sent off. Blatant dive in the box with no contact. Cynical foul on Martial, with no attempt to play the ball.

I would say that both Jesus and Silva did enough to get sent off. Probably Lingard as well.
Wasn't that Sterling? Sterling also took out Lingard I think near the edge of the City box, wasn't booked during the match.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Wasn't that Sterling? Sterling also took out Lingard I think near the edge of the City box, wasn't booked during the match.
it was Jesus. Martial got the ball and started running, Jesus went straight for his feet and tripped him up when the ball was no where near him.

To be fair though, Sterling also got away with a few cynical fouls.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He's a bad ref because players can never expect how much he allows. It's seemingly random what is a foul and what isn't. He's wildly inconsistent and generally only gives very safe yellow but now and again he makes a blinder of a call which highlight his inconsistencies.

I don't the players in either side were happy with him today.
I think that happens more often than not whenever he refs a game, regardless of who's involved.

What you've pointed out is definitely a regular occurrence when he referees. He calls near identical incidents differently throughout games, meaning players are just left confused and angry. They're watching teammates getting booked in the 70th minute for diving, when an opponent won a free-kick for pretty much the same thing 20 minutes earlier. They're watching him warn an opponent for a tackle in the 84th minute that got one of their teammates booked in the opening 10.

When both sets of players are annoyed at him, regardless of whether they won, there's clearly something wrong with the way in which he officiates games.

ti vu

Ironically, same ref on another days delivered these soft sent off in memorable occasions many can easy recall. Such a jojo ref.

Sterling took out Martial near their box on other occasion. Jesus stepped on Martial's heel when Martial beat the first pressing and about to started our counter in first half.

Last edited:

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Bullshit. Sterling cynically stopped a counter attack which is a yellow card every day of the week and he didn't give him a yellow. He's a prick so stop trying to find bullshit excuses to defend the cnut.
Not every potential yellow will be given and your team could have had it's share of yellows in many games yet I hear little complaints on this forum. There's no need to use offensive language because you're upset

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not every potential yellow will be given and your team could have had it's share of yellows in many games yet I hear little complaints on this forum. There's no need to use offensive language because you're upset
Are you upset that I swore at Michael Oliver. Are you related to him?

He shows no consistency, whatsoever. If you can't see that, that's not my problem.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Looks like a cnut that would wear a Crosshatch shirt to a funeral.

VanGaalEra

cnut is a Newcastle fan, isn't he?

Bet he watches the Keegan meltdown before every fecking game he refs of ours.

Twat.Knob.Donkey.Benchod.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Apparently another world class performance today.
A lot of times reactionary things will be said about referees being terrible, not up to par etc. But Oliver is genuinely out of his depth, he's too emotional and becomes almost as riled up as the players at times, he's nowhere near good enough to be refereeing at PL level.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Another incompetent performance from one of the best referees in the game :drool:

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
so have any of you actually seen his game today or just going off of that tweet and assuming he wasn't a biased fan whining?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I saw the highlights and all I took away from those were “Yikes!” wrt Oliver’s calls. Looked horrendous.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
so have any of you actually seen his game today or just going off of that tweet and assuming he wasn't a biased fan whining?
I watched most of the game, the Deeney red card was the most ridiculous IMO. Missed the ball, missed the player. Sent off for his reputation or the reaction of the player who fell to the floor like he was shot.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I watched most of the game, the Deeney red card was the most ridiculous IMO. Missed the ball, missed the player. Sent off for his reputation or the reaction of the player who fell to the floor like he was shot.
not talking about this incident in particular but you can be sent off for dangerous play even if you happen to miss the other player, same with violent conduct, if the player reacted as you say he did I would suspect he will get himself a retrospective ban from the diving panel

Fridge chutney

Are you upset that I swore at Michael Oliver. Are you related to him?

He shows no consistency, whatsoever. If you can't see that, that's not my problem.
People see what they want to. Some people defend Oliver merely by proclaiming, self-righteously, that United fans are biased, rather than looking at facts.

He is absolute shite and his refereeing of non-United matches only strengthens my opinion that he is amongst the worst referees in the league.

Fridge chutney

Typical Oliver. He's useless.

Ashley R1+O

not talking about this incident in particular but you can be sent off for dangerous play even if you happen to miss the other player, same with violent conduct, if the player reacted as you say he did I would suspect he will get himself a retrospective ban from the diving panel
There was contact and it was what you would call "firm" but if I was Deeny I would be appealing this ban. I watched it a few times and I am not sure where Oliver has seen a red card, I doubt he got a call from the assistant because the angle he came in from was not a good angle to see the foul and the way he drew the red out almost instantly suggested he didn't get a call from anyone.

the Deeney red card was the most ridiculous IMO. Missed the ball, missed the player. Sent off for his reputation or the reaction of the player who fell to the floor like he was shot.
I agree, I have no idea how Oliver gave it so quickly as if he was convinced it was a red because he was at least 35 yards away close to the circle. To come running in without a shout from somewhere means he just bottled it and pulled the trigger. I do believe Deeny got the ball as well.

It plays up to another problem I am seeing regularly with the referees are that they are booking the reactions of players rather than looking at a foul objectively. A similar thing that was the opposite decision happened in the WHam and Stoke game where Shaqiri jumped into the air and cannonballed to the turf clutching his leg and rolled around and the instant WHam skipped away with the ball from an obvious attempt to milk a foul he got up straight away and went to the ref apoplectic shaking his hand around.

Simply somehow players over the top reactions to fouls needs to be policed and rubbed out somehow. The game moves at much to fast a speed for the referees to keep on top of it.

marktan

Tied at being the worst ref in the league with Atkinson. The best refs are the ones that are neutral and don't let their ego and the crowds influence them. The thing with refs is most of them don't usually get much publicity, but those two consistently do, because they're consistently making controversial decisions.

Bojan11

You just knew he’d try to send off a Huddersfield player once he sent off Deeney. Him and Atkinson always try to even things up.

SER19

It is incredible that the refs that are the worst are the ones that get pushed to the front. There's a fair chance this guy will go to the World Cup. Atkinson is just consistently dreadful and now it seems that Craig pawson, a ref I was sure would be let go during last season, is now being given bigger and bigger games.

But above them all there's Michael Oliver, a really truly horrific referee

lysglimt

Scout
Saw the highlights and it was laughable.

The worst in my opinion was actually the offside-goal (even if that is the linesmans fault) - how could they possible miss that ?
Deeneys was probably the least bad decision - at least that was a yellow.
Mooys second yellow was maybe a foul - and that is about it
And the penalty - that was a dive.