Michael Oliver

ManUnitedCanuck

I just want them to have to display their decisions, not a full press confernce but the bigger decisions in a match. give an explanation of the incident and how you saw it. Would be very interesting to see wha they can come up with.

Mr Oliver you booked Herrera for diving but saw Jesus go down in the box in a similar fashion, why did you not give him a yellow?

Mr Oliver if you kick a players back leg without even an attempt at the ball, is that a yellow? Then why was one not produced?

ManUnitedCanuck

This is the big problem, City overstretch themselves when attacking and when we were about to break away they would commit a cynical foul and break up the game and allow themselves to get back. Clear yellow card offences and yet no further punishment was given.

How Sterling and Jesus both got away with clipping Martial from behind is ridiculous.
Mourinho called it before the match, I’m sure he was studying tape and noticed this quite often and pointed it out, but officials don’t care.

Irrational.

So every footballer that gets a yellow can yell all kinds of abuse at the ref? Silva told Oliver to feck off. That's a justifiable booking regardless of the circumstances.
I noticed this too. Gets away with fecking murder, whilst AdM was sent off for touching that pencil necked twat.

I don't think he's anti-United. I just think he's incompetent.

Whenever you watch the game he always, always succeeds in riling up the crowd by being inconsistent no matter who is playing.
I guess so. I expect another Jose ban for his post-match comments. We're meant to lick the ref's arse no matter how bad they've been.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Another very good performance from Oliver today. Too many biased supporters here thinking every decision that could go their way if they were very lucky should go their teams way every time and yes Hererra clearly dived. Stop whinning lads.

ManUnitedCanuck

Jesus christ. First of all, Silva cannot get two yellow cards during the same stretch. You get one since the play went on, so the second was a freebie so to speak. All football players know this, so don’t try and create new rules. Herrera was booked for a classic case of trailing leg and trying to create something out of nothing. 100% dive and a fair yellow card. Imagine Gerrard doing that against United two years ago, would you stick to your story? Grow up, these incidents were not controversial at all.
Is that a rule, you can’t get two yellows in a sequence of play? Hell that’s awesome, once I knew I had one and they waved play on, I’d just go around kicking people since I knew I was on a freebie. Obviously that’s an over the top comeback but there is no rule that states that.

If you don’t think it’s controversial that one player gets booked for diving while another does the same in a match and doesn’t then I guess we will have to disagree. it’s the inconsistency that gets me, especially in the same match. Their “tactical” fouling went unpunished which allowed them to keep doing it and break up play.

Red Stone

Another very good performance from Oliver today. Too many biased supporters here thinking every decision that could go their way if they were very lucky should go their teams way every time and yes Hererra clearly dived. Stop whinning lads.
I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing with you there. The problem is Sterling, Walker and Jesus all had similar and none of them got anything for it. The double standards and inconsistencies are what people are up in arms about.

Strats

Honestly, who the feck approved his licence?

He strikes me as more insecure than some of my patients in a mental health care unit st the hospital.

Untied

Jesus christ. First of all, Silva cannot get two yellow cards during the same stretch. You get one since the play went on, so the second was a freebie so to speak. All football players know this, so don’t try and create new rules. Herrera was booked for a classic case of trailing leg and trying to create something out of nothing. 100% dive and a fair yellow card. Imagine Gerrard doing that against United two years ago, would you stick to your story? Grow up, these incidents were not controversial at all.
I don’t think there were two consecutive yellows, but it is you who is making up the rules.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Your schtick is too obvious to see. You want to absolve the ref of poor decisions so you can talk about how poor we were today. As if the two are something that can't happen at the same time. We were poor today, and Oliver was just as worse. The fact that you are saying Hererra is 100% a dive and completely ignore the several times City players fell over without contact exposes your agenda.

Its obvious to any intelligent person that Oliver wanted to make a statement with that Hererra 'dive' and yellow card. If he was consistent with his refereeing then he would have waved play on just like he did when Jesus, Walker and Sterling dived on multiple occasions. But he wanted to show how strong of a referee he was, and wouldnt be influenced by Jose Mourinho.

Clear dive from Jesus as well, difference being that one went completely unpunished. To be honest Walker's was suspect as well. That's ignoring all the cynical fouls they gave away on the break that avoided a yellow. Timewasting that went unpunished.

Besides that, terrific performance.

Zoo

So why didn’t he book Jesus for the exact same thing?

Phil

Jesus christ. First of all, Silva cannot get two yellow cards during the same stretch. You get one since the play went on, so the second was a freebie so to speak. All football players know this, so don’t try and create new rules.
:lol: Yeah, don't try and create new rules.

Where do we get these people?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He didn't book Jesus when he should have done? So what. It had no impact on the result. From my perspective Matic and Lingard were both lucky to escape yellows. Young as well could have been booked before he swiped at Sterling. I'm biased as feck though, and I accept that, so I'm not going to start crying about decisions that were inconsequential to the result. Any neutral watching this game today will have barely noticed who was even reffing. We won today because we were much the better side and had luck when we needed it.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing with you there. The problem is Sterling, Walker and Jesus all had similar and none of them got anything for it. The double standards and inconsistencies are what people are up in arms about.
Clear dive from Jesus as well, difference being that one went completely unpunished. To be honest Walker's was suspect as well. That's ignoring all the cynical fouls they gave away on the break that avoided a yellow. Timewasting that went unpunished.

Besides that, terrific performance.
So why didn’t he book Jesus for the exact same thing?
Jesus did dive, I didn't think it was easy for the referee to conclude he dived from his position, IIRC a player was blocking his view.

As for the other 'dives' they probably went down easy, they go down easy but I can't remember them as blatant dives maybe I was out the room and they were blatant though.

I do think Sterling/City's pen against Monreal was a dive but you could argue he impeded him too.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Walker too. Would have been a second yellow. Practically identical to Herrera's as well, where he left his trailing foot in so there was contact. Completely engineered. Yellow for us, nothing for them.
This pretty much. How does he call the Walker one a foul and the Herrera one a dive? Bottled the game and played his part.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
He didn't book Jesus when he should have done? So what. It had no impact on the result. From my perspective Matic and Lingard were both lucky to escape yellows. Young as well could have been booked before he swiped at Sterling. I'm biased as feck though, and I accept that, so I'm not going to start crying about decisions that were inconsequential to the result. Any neutral watching this game today will have barely noticed who was even reffing. We won today because we were much the better side and had luck when we needed it.
Yep spot on.

I thought the ref had a good game and City deserved 3 points. They're a much better side than us, and everyone else, right now.

Everything else is just noise but that's what you'll get on here.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Jesus did dive, I didn't think it was easy for the referee to conclude he dived from his position, IIRC a player was blocking his view.

As for the other 'dives' they probably went down easy, they go down easy but I can't remember them as blatant dives maybe I was out the room and they were blatant though.

I do think Sterling/City's pen against Monreal was a dive but you could argue he impeded him too.
Bullshit. Sterling cynically stopped a counter attack which is a yellow card every day of the week and he didn't give him a yellow. He's a prick so stop trying to find bullshit excuses to defend the cnut.

arthurka

Thought he was Ok to be fair.. Silva was very Lucky and should have given couple yellows for diving and shitty fouls but overall he was Ok..

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He's just fecking useless. Every big game he refs is exactly the same.
  • Early yellow for the first remotely rash challenge to show he won't take any messing
  • He then won't do anything for the next 60 minutes in the name of letting the game flow, except this translates as fouls being called, but no cards will be handed out
  • This will result in at least one person getting away with the thing he handed out the first yellow card for, and often avoiding a second yellow
  • In the final 30 minutes, as tension starts to build, he'll start puffing his chest out and handing out some cards
  • This will mean that people start getting booked for things he left people off with earlier
  • BONUS: he gets to send someone off in a really dramatic fashion while glaring at them with his startled weasel eyes, while marching backwards with exaggerated steps and waving his arms out like he's forgotten half the macarena
I don't think he particularly favours one team in a match (and it'd be nice if United played well in a big game he reffed so we could call him a twat without people thinking we're making excuses), but he's just horribly inconsistent, not only between games (see Hart headbutt/Di Maria shirt tug) but within them as well. Today ended in a lesser shit show than we're accustomed with Oliver, but it was still a bit of a mess.

There's a trend that I think started with Clattenburg, where referee's are praised for letting games "flow" or "game management", but what that actually seems to translate to is a ref doing feck all for 60 minutes, before waving his cock around for the final 30 to make himself look important.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yes you can. Read the rules than write . It is another action. One ref explained that few weeks ago
Also silva could get straight red for those studs up

breakout67

Supports
Man City
  • Early yellow for the first remotely rash challenge to show he won't take any messing
  • He then won't do anything for the next 60 minutes in the name of letting the game flow, except this translates as fouls being called, but no cards will be handed out
  • This will result in at least one person getting away with the thing he handed out the first yellow card for, and often avoiding a second yellow
  • In the final 30 minutes, as tension starts to build, he'll start puffing his chest out and handing out some cards
  • This will mean that people start getting booked for things he left people off with earlier
  • BONUS: he gets to send someone off in a really dramatic fashion while glaring at them with his startled weasel eyes, while marching backwards with exaggerated steps and waving his arms out like he's forgotten half the macarena
I don't think he particularly favours one team in a match (and it'd be nice if United played well in a big game he reffed so we could call him a twat without people thinking we're making excuses), but he's just horribly inconsistent, not only between games (see Hart headbutt/Di Maria shirt tug) but within them as well. Today ended in a lesser shit show than we're accustomed with Oliver, but it was still a bit of a mess.

There's a trend that I think started with Clattenburg, where referee's are praised for letting games "flow" or "game management", but what that actually seems to translate to is a ref doing feck all for 60 minutes, before waving his cock around for the final 30 to make himself look important.
Well said!

Ignoring the result, Oliver was inconsistent in every way possible in his officiating. This game favoured City IMO but in almost every game he refs one team will usually get fecked over because he wants to put on a performance.

Drainy

Thought he was Ok to be fair.. Silva was very Lucky and should have given couple yellows for diving and shitty fouls but overall he was Ok..
If by OK you mean he didn't make any big calls that directly influenced the outcome then yes. He was wildly inconsistent, and allowed City to tactically commit cynical fouls which allows them play in a more expansive way by mitigating the risk of being hit on the counter.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Great post.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Don't think there was any blaming him for the result, but he really is a useless referee.

He booked Herrera for exactlly the same thing he gave Walker a free kick for in the first half. So technically he should have sent Walker off for what would have been a second booking. I mean I get the difference in circumstances, and it would have been a soft penalty...but then don't give freekicks for dives earlier in the game. You can judge whether you want to send a player off or not, or give a penalty or not, but a foul doesn't go full circle to a dive just becuse it suits you better in the situation. That's just having a blatant lack of integrity.

Also Walker's booking in the first place was for feck all. Then for the rest of the game he was letting deliberate cynical fouls go...then randomly booked Silva for a foul, then a few minutes later doesn't book Young for an obviously worse foul. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of time wasting.

Acole9

Outstanding
There is so much bias in here, nothing wrong with his performance at all. Every time we drop points it's the refs fault and they're the "Worst ref in the league".

Walters_19_MuFc

Absolute shit today.

Dont think he affected the result, but some of his decisions were awful.

For example, books Herrera for diving, but didnt book Jesus.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
There is so much bias in here, nothing wrong with his performance at all. Every time we drop points it's the refs fault and they're the "Worst ref in the league".
Had this argument before, but what about people who don't think he cost us the game (because we were crap), but just think he's a shite ref that doesn't favour either team?

Anustart89

He wasnt at fault for us losing.

But the guy is just not a good referee and makes it up along the way. So inconsistent and furious. Most of the time the decisions go against us. Prime example Herrera dive vs Jesus dive
While he didn't make any big calls that directly made us lose, being biased in the small decisions can heavily influence the game.

If one team is allowed to press forcefully and one isn't due to fear of being booked, then it's definitely going to affect the tempo of either team.

Daniel Moore

He bought every dive and they cheat like feck and are clearly well drilled on winning these stupid fouls. Every time u looked at the screen there was a blue shirt laying on all fours and then lines gets a clear massive decision wrong and I notice Carragher neve said a bean. I thought we were poo officiating worse

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Don't think there was any blaming him for the result, but he really is a useless referee.

He booked Herrera for exactlly the same thing he gave Walker a free kick for in the first half. So technically he should have sent Walker off for what would have been a second booking. I mean I get the difference in circumstances, and it would have been a soft penalty...but then don't give freekicks for dives earlier in the game. You can judge whether you want to send a player off or not, or give a penalty or not, but a foul doesn't go full circle to a dive just becuse it suits you better in the situation. That's just having a blatant lack of integrity.

Also Walker's booking in the first place was for feck all. Then for the rest of the game he was letting deliberate cynical fouls go...then randomly booked Silva for a foul, then a few minutes later doesn't book Young for an obviously worse foul. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of time wasting.
This is exactly it. He's just a woefully inconsistent ref who absolutely adores the limelight. A terrible combination for any referee, yet he's somehow rated as one of the best in the league.

Giggs86

Now watch him somehow recognized as England's top ref and get awarded with officiating the CL and WC finals.

This guy is a joke who steals a living.

Acole9

Outstanding
Had this argument before, but what about people who don't think he cost us the game (because we were crap), but just think he's a shite ref that doesn't favour either team?
What did he do to cost us the game? We did a pretty good job of that ourselves.

James Peril

So every footballer that gets a yellow can yell all kinds of abuse at the ref? Silva told Oliver to feck off. That's a justifiable booking regardless of the circumstances.
Of course not, but the best referees keep their cool during big games. If «feck off» is always an automatic yellow card, Wayne Rooney would have been given 466 red cards during his career. This is a football match, let’s not pretend it is something else. Not sure if any lip readers have investigated Herrera’s words after his correct booking, I assume it was not «thank you sir». Again, trying to find excuses like Silva swearing at the ref is kind of pathetic. Silva is a gentleman of the game, hence he stays on. Same would go for Giggs, Lampard and so forth. Just like a cop not always giving a speeding ticket or fine for forgetting your licence - a ref is not only there to follow the book, but controling the spectacle. If you disagree with that, I assume you will come forward the next time our player does exactly the same - and it will most likely happen in the next game.