Mick McCarthy celebration

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Whatever people think of him, I find him hilarious and since football is about entertainment, he fulfils the brief.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Not quite right. He was sent home after a fight about how unprofessional the Irish side were set up before the World Cup in 02. They arrived to a stony pitch om an island in the middle of nowhere with no footballs. Keane was absolutely fuming which, in fairness, is his preset mode. The fight took place in front of teammates instead of privately but again an incompetent tool of a manager did not have the professionalism to pull his captain a man he made captain, to one side and talk man to man. It was poorly managed and that falls on Micks head. So Keane was sent home.

We went out to Spain on penalties. Keane was at the height of his powers. Another note on Micks incompetence Spain were down to 10 men in extra time due to injury and had used all subs. The awesome McCarthy never noticed that had happened. Mick is an absolute fool and the fact he is still employed is a joke.

16 years later and these are my thoughts on a the situation after I have got over it haha
LOL. Okay, I can see why the Irish may have a legit reason to dislike McCarthy ;)

Personally I think he is at least a bit of an entertaining character/clown which puts him above many dour cnuts in football.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
LOL. Okay, I can see why the Irish may have a legit reason to dislike McCarthy ;)

Personally I think he is at least a bit of an entertaining character/clown which puts him above many dour cnuts in football.
They way he staged the whole thing. Calling Keane into a room with the squad in there, and some of the cowards in the room. Jesus. How he got away unscathed from that while Keane stomached the blame for what amounted to wanting higher standards than a jolly boys outing

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
My little sister thought He was the real Bert from Sesame Street.

Feck yeah! Get in Bert! You tell them.

whatwha

They way he staged the whole thing. Calling Keane into a room with the squad in there, and some of the cowards in the room. Jesus. How he got away unscathed from that while Keane stomached the blame for what amounted to wanting higher standards than a jolly boys outing
What do you mean, "and some of the cowards in the room"?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Jaysus. Saipan again. Get over it lads. Both of them made tits of themselves. Mick seems a decent guy who is routinely written off by people who can't know very much about how football works at a level below the exalted stage us United fans are used to. He's highly respected by a lot of people in the game and there's a reason for that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not quite right. He was sent home after a fight about how unprofessional the Irish side were set up before the World Cup in 02. They arrived to a stony pitch om an island in the middle of nowhere with no footballs. Keane was absolutely fuming which, in fairness, is his preset mode. The fight took place in front of teammates instead of privately but again an incompetent tool of a manager did not have the professionalism to pull his captain a man he made captain, to one side and talk man to man. It was poorly managed and that falls on Micks head. So Keane was sent home.

We went out to Spain on penalties. Keane was at the height of his powers. Another note on Micks incompetence Spain were down to 10 men in extra time due to injury and had used all subs. The awesome McCarthy never noticed that had happened. Mick is an absolute fool and the fact he is still employed is a joke.

16 years later and these are my thoughts on a the situation after I have got over it haha
Yes it could've been handled better certainly.

The good thing is years later Roy Keane learnt the hard way it can be tough to make decisions on the best training camps when you're a manager and having to motivate 22 other men.

In summer 2009 he took them to an army training camp at Colchester Garrison.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...d-given-army-training-to-improve-fitness.html

He admitted years later in his second book majority of the squad hated being there.

Ipswich started 09/10 season with 1 win in first 17 league games. :lol:

IrishRick

What do you mean, "and some of the cowards in the room"?
McCarthy had some of the more senior players back him up. Steve Staunton, Alan Kelly and Niall Quinn if I remember correctly. So they were prepared for what was going dow. Keane, his captain, was unaware. Ambushed essentially. Others in the room have admitted since that they agreed with Keane but were afraid of missing out on possibly their only world cup. Damien Duff said at one point years later he regrets not backing Keane due to fear.

So the split happened in the country. Half of us backed Keane, the other (incorrect half :-) ) backed McCarthy. Those that did say Keane should have been just happy to be there. Keane himself supposedly told Fergie his aim was to win it. The irony of those fans saying he should have been happy to take part is that now they criticize the current side for not being good enough. Sure aren't the current lot just lucky to be there too.

Yes it could've been handled better certainly.

The good thing is years later Roy Keane learnt the hard way it can be tough to make decisions on the best training camps when you're a manager and having to motivate 22 other men.

He admitted years later in his second book majority of the squad hated being there.

Ipswich started 09/10 season with 1 win in first 17 league games. :lol:
Keane was and probably never will be a good manager. Perhaps he might have a short term bounce when he comes in through sheer character and drive. The training camp you mention was probably something he would have loved as a professional but those who lack his drive, which is basically everyone haha, would hate it.

That's his issue as a manager. He expects to receive what he was from his players. That's almost impossible. His drive and desire was borderline crazy. He got the very most out of his talent. Gained every last inch he could to become world class. It confuses him that others don't and can't do the same. And eventually a confused Keane becomes an angry Keane and the end becomes inevitable from there.

Last edited:

whatwha

McCarthy had some of the more senior players back him up. Steve Staunton, Alan Kelly and Niall Quinn if I remember correctly. So they were prepared for what was going dow. Keane, his captain, was unaware. Ambushed essentially. Others in the room have admitted since that they agreed with Keane but were afraid of missing out on possibly their only world cup. Damien Duff said at one point years later he regrets not backing Keane due to fear.

So the split happened in the country. Half of us backed Keane, the other (incorrect half :-) ) backed McCarthy. Those that did say Keane should have been just happy to be there. Keane himself supposedly told Fergie his aim was to win it. The irony of those fans saying he should have been happy to take part is that now they criticize the current side for not being good enough. Sure aren't the current lot just lucky to be there too.

Keane was and probably never will be a good manager. Perhaps he might have a short term bounce when he comes in through sheer character and drive. The training camp you mention was probably something he would have loved as a professional but those who lack his drive, which is basically everyone haha, would hate it.

That's his issue as a manager. He expects to receive what he was from his players. That's almost impossible. His drive and desire was borderline crazy. He got the very most out of his talent. Gained every last inch he could to become world class. It confuses him that others don't and can't do the same. And eventually a confused Keane becomes an angry Keane and the end becomes inevitable from there.
Poor Keane. Ambitious and demanding to a fault. I wonder where that superhuman drive came from. Nature or nurture or both?

IrishRick

Poor Keane. Ambitious and demanding to a fault. I wonder where that superhuman drive came from. Nature or nurture or both?
Hard to know. Comes from a rough part of Cork. Father supposedly a bit of a fool. True or not, I don't know, but when Roy joined United for a British record his father used walk into pubs whip out his penis and say something along the lines of this made the most expensive footballer on these islands

whatwha

Hard to know. Comes from a rough part of Cork. Father supposedly a bit of a fool. True or not, I don't know, but when Roy joined United for a British record his father used walk into pubs whip out his penis and say something along the lines of this made the most expensive footballer on these islands
:lol: What a bellend. It seems like sometimes children of useless parent(s) have a very strong drive to become the exact opposite.

IrishRick

:lol: What a bellend. It seems like sometimes children of useless parent(s) have a very strong drive to become the exact opposite.
Very possible. Perhaps he knew what awaited him if he was to stay where he grew up. That drove him on to become one hell of a player