Midfield Next Season

sp_107

If Pogba/Lukaku goes this summer

A midfield of Neves/Auor/Bruno would be class with a front three of Martial/Sancho/Werner and a back four of Shaw/Skriniar/Toby/Meunier

Overall it will balance our budget and we can get quality too .Might take few months but once they click, it would be fun to watch.

meamth

Man, this thread is dispiriting because if Pogba stays and keeps improving, we would need only 1-2 signings and better organisation to bring the midfield to a close-to-elite level. (╯°□°)╯

Anyhow, United should have a substantial “warchest” if Pogba joins Madrid or Paris Saint-Germain or Juventus, so target the best talents, like Havertz and Barella. The former has Ballack-esque potential with a hint of Özil in terms of technique, and could be a good replacement for Pogba over the long haul...

https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/football-whispers-20-to-watch-in-2019-kai-havertz

And the latter could be a decisive balancer in United's midfield — first player to arrive for second balls, tactically mature, good technique and passing/dribbling ability, has leadership potential, quite versatile — worst case scenario, where he inexplicably fails to live up to his potential, Barella becomes a crucial squad player (like Ander was supposed to be if we had reinforced properly in recent seasons). Next summer, target a holding midfielder or deep-lying playmaker (unless the club is convinced that Garner is Carrick II), and you should be good to go.

Though in an ideal world, we would sign three central midfielders this summer following Pogba and Herrera's hypothetical departure (considering an additional player was needed even with them in the fold), and van de Beek could be a sound option as the third — in De Ligt/De Jong's shadow at Ajax, but he's a noteworthy player in his own right and can play in a number of roles/positions — which speaks to his adaptability.
I love him. He's 19 and already in a man's body. He is ready for premier league.

Signing him and Sancho is the greatest muppet dream.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rice--Pogba--Kante
I think you're on the right path here. Kante won't be joining us sadly, but I could see us sign Barella who would also bring fantastic qualities to balance the midfield alongside Rice and Pogba. We can then also gradually introduce Jimmy Garner who would provide some versatility to the #6 role. Would be a better strategy going forward IMO.

@Rozay would also be pleased with us signing Barella.:D

Since96

Fred has been a decent enough player but his overall impact on the game play has been to the minimal, if any at all.

Think he could be more effective and influential coming off the bench to provide that extra energy and drive when the legs turn wobbly.

However, the positive note is that he still got time to reach his potential.

Mcking

If Pogba and Herrera are leaving then we could do with a top attacking midfielder to go with a defensive midfielder. I'd go for Bruno if we can't get Eriksen, and Rice though Rodri is the one I want. Get Rabiot too to complete the midfield, or just pair Fred with Rodri.
Rodri Rabiot​
Eriksen​
Fred
Mctominay
Matic
Pereira

davidmichael

If Pogba went and we got £150 million for him then that isn’t far off what it’d cost to sign Eriksen, Neves, Rice and Rabiot which is whole new midfield and who of which are all completely players so provide a perfect balance.

gajender

All the opposition would have to do is man mark Pogba.
Agree with you but if we could get somebody like Silva on the wing it might work but ideally we need to add creative outlet beside Pogba in midfield, Rice and Kante along side Pogba is just too defensive for my liking as well .

Celoti23-81

If Pogba and Herrera are leaving then we could do with a top attacking midfielder to go with a defensive midfielder. I'd go for Bruno if we can't get Eriksen, and Rice though Rodri is the one I want. Get Rabiot too to complete the midfield, or just pair Fred with Rodri.
Rodri Rabiot
Eriksen​
Fred
Mctominay
Matic
Pereira
I'm pretty sure Rodri is in talks with Man city!

Keefy18

Too much talk of Pogba wanting to go to Real.

Even if he stays, it would only be for one year.
We would struggle to get to Top 4 this season. No certainly we will get Top 4 next season either.
Nope there isn't cause its a hugely competitive league and we are around the same level as 3 other clubs. Only City & Liverpool have taken another step up in recent years.

We really need to be keeping hold of Pogba, our MF would be the drizzling sh*ts without him.

Bestietom

Partey and Fernandes will come in. If Woodward has the time left.

Last edited:

efugelso

We obviously need more than one addition to CM or CDM this summer but considering the many positions we need to strengthen I don't know if that will be the case. A lot depends if we sell Pogba. Herrera looks likely to leave as well. What do people think about Abdoulaye Doucoure from Watford? Played 32 games this season, with 5 goals and 6 assists. Physical presence with a great work rate, runs all day. Tidy in possession, have proven that he can play well in the PL.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rabiot Herrera Pogba
(McT Matic Fred)

I think we should keep Herrera & Pogba and go for Rabiot because he’s free. We need to spend the money on other areas. Attackers & ball playing centre back are very expensive in the market.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Feck me, it's bad. Plug one hole, several appear.

Bestietom

I hope we have the scouts working hard. The top midfielders have already been snapped up by our rivals and they are not finished yet. Ndombele and Rodri, gone, Lo Celso on his way to spurs also.
Partey, Barrella, and Fernandes left.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Just looked at our travelling squad and the midfield is really weak and if we loose Pogba it will be borderline terrible.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
-------------------Isco---------------------
-----Forsberg-----------------Rakitic------
-------------------Rice---------------------

Xaviboy

Just seen the tour squad and our midfield is very bad even with Pogba.

If that midfield remains the same come 9th August we in for a difficult campaign.

We will have pogba who doesn't want to be there but I expect him to go. We need 2 quality midfielders in if we are to get top 4 or else we will struggle. Be few games next season where we will need to grind out results and that midfield doesn't give me hope.

Stubble

If Pogba goes.... current midfield options of Matic, Fred, McTom and Periera...
Wow how did we get into such a mess !

Hawks2008

We are beyond fecked, I don't know where the club is going to pull the 3 new quality mids we need but it better come soon.

El Jefe

At this rate we'll probably buy Fellaini back on deadline day for more than we sold him for.

#FroBack

ColvaleGoa

Same squad and we expecting a different season from last year? We are well and truly fecked. Ole must have contacted Molde already to prepare for his return in December.

Eric's Seagull

Realise we looking fecked at the moment. Although I don't have a lot of faith, I'm not giving up hope of us making some decent signings before the end of the window. Not ideal as I would have liked to get them in before the tour to give them time to gel. But that is where we are and hoping Woody does something decent soon.

Crustanoid

At this rate we'll probably buy Fellaini back on deadline day for more than we sold him for.

#FroBack
The sad thing is that is more likely than Ed and co making a good job of actually signing anyone new

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We are beyond fecked, I don't know where the club is going to pull the 3 new quality mids we need but it better come soon.
As an outsider it feels strange to me that OGS has said you're working on two other signings. I assume one will be CB given the continued links to Maguire and also a new striker if Lukaku and Alexis are shipped out.

Guess he was saying that believing Pogba would stay and that would obviously change if he leaves as you've already lost Herrera.

I think regardless Matic, McTominey and Andreas P will all be playing lots of minutes next season, probably Mata aswell.

Hawks2008

As an outsider it feels strange to me that OGS has said you're working on two other signings. I assume one will be CB given the continued links to Maguire and also a new striker if Lukaku and Alexis are shipped out.

Guess he was saying that believing Pogba would stay and that would obviously change if he leaves as you've already lost Herrera.

I think regardless Matic, McTominey and Andreas P will all be playing lots of minutes next season, probably Mata aswell.
It really is a mess. We cannot persist with our current options and letting our 2 best midfielders leave at the same time is criminal, especially if we may not replace them adequately.

Relfy

The midfield is pretty awful right now. God knows what it will look like come the start of the season

Woodenlung

Really wouldn't mind a Longstaff in that midfield now. At least he plays a role no other midfielder in our squad can.

laughtersassassin

Midfield we got is crap. Bottom tier really. Assuming we keep Pogba needs two additions to get us top 4.

Mainoldo

Spend some bloody money and get us the two midfielders we need. No Longstaff either. That midfield is a joke even with Pogba.